September 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/03/09

We have special coverage tonight of Michael Jackson's funeral. 70 days after his death the singer is finally being laid to rest. Family and friends are gathering at a cemetery in Glendale, California. We'll take you there.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog • T1
  1. Dan

Appreciate all your Michael Jackson coverage since his death. Keep it up...I can't get enough.

September 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. LisaL - Canada

"sitting quietly ... taking pleasure in each other's company" ..that was a very thoughtful statement, by the aunt. i hope jaycee is able to adjust. it sounds as though she is surrounded by family and friends.

September 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Sandra Robertson, GA

Erica, the Honeycrisp apple looks really good; I wish I had one about now.

September 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Catherine

I like green apples
    🙂

September 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Sheralyn

Anderson, any idea if we can get a full attendee list?

September 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Kay

Why would the Jackson family be so late his service. I feel it is rude, I am sorry. But I feel they should of been there to greet guests that have come not to make them wait.

September 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Vicki

What a beautiful MOON shot...how fitting.

September 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  8. susan longisland ny

doing a great job in covering mj

September 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

The Fugi apple is the best.

September 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I love apples! 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. @taipeidman

Conservatives concerned that the President would spread propaganda to the nations School Kids..

Elected officials spreading propaganda? unheard of.....

September 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

*WHEW!* Finally home for Jaycee!!!!! I saw her aunt spoke for her family, I am glad she is really safe sound with her mom and stepdad! 🙂 I am glad she is so miracle to be alive for 18 years! 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Emma

Thank you for the awesome coverage guys! You're doing an amazing job.

I'm so happy MJ will finally be able to rest in peace. I just wish we had more time with his genius. Fifty years seems too short.

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Catherine

I agree sarah, poor children.

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

That guy is just seriously sick!

I hope they can keep him away forever this time....

And what about the fact that a van from his house followed Google earth while it was mapping the area!?....Yikes.

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Patty A Banks, Palmdale, Ca

I'm sure you're welcome here in the live blog. I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Just be careful because as the Beat360, the live blog is also addictive and amazing!

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Sarah

I'm quite sure that the kids know that their dad was famous. I think or rather I would hope, that the family would do their best to keep the kids shrouded from the media. I know exactly what you mean though, Jesse.

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. bruce edwards

Anderson, thanks for doing a great job at covering the funneral of the late great michael jackson. It only upsets me to know that mike tried so many times to tell the world about his issues and how he wasnt so different from others but because of the scandals he faced america turned a blind Eye and we have lost another legion as a result. We are our brothers keepers. Michael will live on for ever in our hearts minds and music devices. Should have just left him alooonnnne. Hee hee!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Sarah in FL

It will take some time for Jaycee & her children to get re-aquainted with the real world.

September 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. crystal

Good Evening Everyone!

I have to say as a long, long time MJ fan I am glad to finally see him laid to rest. Hopefully he can finally rest in peace.

Too CNN, thank you for all the coverage... as someone from Canada I try to keep up as there is not as much coverage here.

Thanks You!

RIP MJ ♥

September 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Cali MJ Fan

Reports other attendees: Barry Bonds, Chris Tucker, Lisa Marie Presley and uhh, Corey Feldman.

I hope Debbie Rowe attends. There's no reason she should not be able to attend.

September 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Catherine

I hope they are proud of their father.

September 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  23. tracy

Wonderful coverage and thanks to Anderson and CNN for this special moment on television! Your the best at what you do!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Barbara, Long Island NY

Its sad that we lose some many great figures

September 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Farewell My Summer Love!" Now, you may rest in peace my lovely one, Michael.

September 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Mickey

Thank you Anderson and Mr King for showing the respect to the King of Pop. Michael was one of a kind. RIP

September 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Tracy Dhayle

Hi Anderson, I'm writing from Barbados. I called in sick from work to watch the live broadcast of the funeral of the great Michael Jackson. I feel like I've lost a family member or a very close friend. Rest in Peace Michael, I LOVE YOU.

September 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Patty A Banks, Palmdale, Ca

@ Isabel
    The live blog seemed like a scary place to me......you guys & gals are so smart & witty, my comment about Liz was from the heart and i wanted to share it, & the fact she also loved M.J. really moved me

September 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. starr, formerly known as vincent

So many people in the business (and out). It's a realy tribute to MJ, his work, his personality, his genuine love for others.

Why didn't the public trust his genuineness when he was alive?

The accusations and trials really hurt his image. What a shame.

September 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Jesse Sioux Falls , SD

@sarah – Yes I see what you are saying, but you can only keep kids away from a TV or the internet for so long. I am sure they know now how famous he was. My question is, how has a child can you have closure when the rest of the world is still talking about it.

September 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Catherine

Anthony, im trying to figure out the same thing. Oh and look Joe Jackson is there now.

September 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Sue

Al was taped earlier

September 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Vicki

I hope Jo doesn't speak at the service...he always sends off ughhy vibes.

September 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Sarah

What do you all think of Joe Jackson? I think he's very financial minded and that's kind of disconcerting to me.

September 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Pam - San Diego, CA

They said on AC, that Debbie Rowe was invited. I will be suprised if she shows.

September 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  36. obed

his life his storys his retributions his fight over the people who sued him his face will be remembered forever even in 1,000 years he'll be thne blockbuster tragedy of the year that calms all the fans together they will be forever remembering mj's social arts

September 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Dan

Still can't get over the gravity of this loss to the world. Michael was the greatest artist to ever live and who will ever live.

September 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Andrea Smykla-Orlando Florida

I pray that MJ's children will now start to heal their hearts. Losing a parent at such a young age is not easy for anybody.

September 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Ramona, Jackson, MS

Evening, All! I feel this is a very appropriate resting place for MJ and another celebration that he would have loved; and glad for the closure and for the healing to finally begin. I think this is going to be very hard for his children and it is unfortunate that the children have to go thru this grief again. The burial should have followed the other service and then the family could have staged this and any other memorials they wanted later. Again, thanks CNN for all the MJ coverage.

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Anthony

how is al sharpton talking in the studio if he was shown at the funeral?

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Rhonda in Canada

Do we know if Michael's children are expected to speak this evening?

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! Thank you for showing this tonight.I'd also like to thank you for all of the MJ coverage since his death.I know a few people who have softened their views of him.After listening to so many respectful friends and family praise his spirit,it would be hard not to have admiration for him.He was not perfect ,but he was gifted and he shared his gifts with the world.Thank you for showing how he's touched his loved ones lives. : )

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

@Isabel, I think Kelefa Sanneh put it well when he said that nothing is louder than Thriller, or Beat it, and Billie Jean. Many other songs too.
    I agree with you, it does seem like a very exposed situation to be having a funeral, maybe not disrespectful that it's so intensely covered, but a very sensitive moment.

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Cali MJ Fan

Erica, I think the empty seats will fill up with the number of cars leaving the compound. Quite a line!

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Tina Thomas

No matter what everyone thought of Michael Jackson over the last few years. He was a fantastic entertainer. The energy and pure enjoyment that he put in the each and every performance was astounding. It's sad that he is gone and it took his death to remind everyone what he did for the music industry, and how he change the world with his music and his heart. Michael Jackson will live forever in the hearts of his fans, friends and family. May Michael Jackson rest in peace.

Tina Thomas
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Canada

September 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Ridge

All said and done.

RIP Michael

September 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Jesse Sioux Falls , SD

I wonder is Brooke Shields going to be there??

September 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I think Debbie Roe may not show up because that would mean addressing why she settled the way she did.

If she shows, it will be late.

September 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Emma

Looks like the Jackson family is ready to leave their home finally. I'm watching the live stream on TMZ right now and they are right outside the Encino home. The police are all lit up and ready to go. The service should probably be starting at 8 PT but you never know.

September 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Sarah

@Jesse in Sioux Falls: I don't really think that his children thought of him as famous. When you are a kid, you don't think about stuff like that. I think that they just saw him as "Daddy" and that was good enough for them. Thank goodness for the innocence of a child 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |