September 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/03/09

We have special coverage tonight of Michael Jackson's funeral. 70 days after his death the singer is finally being laid to rest. Family and friends are gathering at a cemetery in Glendale, California. We'll take you there.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog • T1
  1. Debra Carey

I can't believe that none of the Jacksons have any funds to put together to pay for this funeral instead of the estate. What would have happened if there wasn't enough money for the estate to provide for the cost?

September 3, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  2. Kimmy

RIP MJ..We love & miss you.

September 3, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  3. Vicki

What happens if the service runs past midnight? Will CNN stay live for us?

September 3, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Way to go!!!!! Nice job, I like your question for them....... Nice! 🙂 Go Anderson!

September 3, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  5. Lucy

I work in a school. Our students can use encouragement from elected officials from any party. Encouraging students to study is not political propaganda.

September 3, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  6. Shonda

I'm so glad that the day has come that Michael will be buried. As a loyal fan of his it's been very difficult to come to terms with his death becuase he hadn't been buried. I know he is resting in peace just wish he could have had more here on earth.

September 3, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  7. Erica in Joneboro,GA

I really think we should all listen to the message Michael was trying to instill in us. "Heal the World," "Man in the Mirror," "Earth Song," "Will you be There," We need to lift each other up and become better people towards each other and as a whole because that is what life is all about. Helping and loving everyone and not judge. Anderson and crew the coverage is great.

September 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  8. Mitra

It is a sad day in this country when our President can't talk to children on the first day of school without every Republican crying the blues about it. REAL REAL SAD!

September 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  9. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson, for bringing this issue to the people.

It is obvious that Mr. Greer has a real problem with our sitting Pres., i wonder if it is because of his race, not only his ideas.

Mr. Greer clearly stated that the Pres. was going to talk about "change". Like "change" is a bad word, or a bad thing.

We finally have a President who is intelligent, articulate and takes a genuine interest, not only in our children finishing school, but is trying to bring our country out of the darkness and back into thelight!

September 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  10. Barbara, Long Island NY

I would think parents would want their children to hear our President speak I know I would

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  11. Lori i

I think Michael jackson was Avery talented musican it was ashame he had to leave the world this way

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This Florida state party chairman is frightening. In this day and age it's amazing how people like this continue shoving religious-based brainwashing garbage down their kids throats. Thsi is about picking and choosing people's opinions for them, rather than letting them think on their own.

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  13. Regina, Pennsylvania

Regarding the President's planned speech to school children: Kudos to you Anderson for putting Greer on the hot seat. These right wing nuts will say anything to delegitimize the Obama presidency. What's wrong with our President having a conversation with school children. If he can encourage them to study hard, set the bar high, and, most importantly, to stay in school–well, I'm all for that. Everyone should be. I can't believe what is coming out of the mouths of these nuts. I never knew there were so many of them!

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  14. Teri in New Jersey

I remember our elementary school, in the sixties, doing Kennedy's exercise program in the classroom, over the loudspeaker, everyday. That was Kennedy's vision for strong, healthy school children. We loved it. The obesity rate really didn't exist. Go President Obama!

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

A beautiful shot of the moon.

Is the blog continuing?

If not, goodnight Isabel, good night everyone.

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  16. Heather

Go Anderson!!!!!
    Good job with that guy...
    This is my first blog...EVER!
    I felt compelled!!!
    Keep up the good work!

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  17. Jen NY

am i the only one who doesn't understand where jim is coming from?

do you know how many free lesson plans are out there for teachers from various organizations and government agencies? tons! are they high quality? usually not!

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  18. Paula, Colorado

The parents seem to fear what Pres. Obama will say. They could have more confidence in their own influence over their children–without depriving them of the opportunity to hear the President's message.

September 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  19. Marty

Can't we ever have a discussion between non-partisans who are willing to actually discuss the issues?

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good night, Anderson, Erica, David (Indiana) and friends!

See you tomorrow!

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  21. lady

Hi, anderson i'm so glad that are finally laying michael jackson to rest i've been crying ever sice i found out that they did not lay him to rest yet antwat i'n on it now live on the internet and watching it on cable i will always love michael jackson i will continue to play his music until the end hewas and will always be the greatset intertainer of all times

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  22. Vig

Sorry, but on this one, Obama's yapping to school children is as contrived as it gets. And that's the problem with this Presidency – it's contrived – whether it's "major" speeches during prime time; so-called grass roots social networking – which is really social manipulation or grandstanding his agenda – Obama's exploitation really can't be defended.

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  23. Lynda C.

I can not wait for my children to hear what the President has to say. Any public offical who wants to help my children be successful and any person who wants to help my children become successful is welcome in my book. I just hope that my childrens school will let them listen. If not there is always AC360 repeats.

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  24. Vickie_AR

Does Greer check the school's DAILY lesson plans?

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  25. Penny Mills

Jim Greer wants to restrict the president's !st Amendment rights? Sounds like the Conservatives are now into censorship.

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  26. James In Kamiah, Idaho

Charlie Christ is a great leader. Obama is a Great Leader. What's your point Jim?

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Parents should be more concern about their children writing to "Dear, Santa Clause".

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  28. Artie

The counties surrounded by the city I live in are not broadcasting President Obama's speech next week for the school children. I find this very sad and pathetic. If I had children in these schools you can definitely believe that I would be up at the school board complaining about why his speech won't be aired. I couldn't agree with Roland anymore!!!

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  29. Es

Wow, that clip of George Bush says it all, double standards galore. Anderson, Jim has no idea what he's talking about??? This is ridiculous...

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  30. gail

It is about the President and hatred of him not the speech . This man is dancing around the issue. Liar!

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  31. Steven

What crap. No parent has the right to dictate what is taught there kids. That is the state to decide. No parent can censor what their kid teachers teach. Whay don't you ask this nut this

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  32. James In Kamiah, Idaho

Dear God... my sixth grade class under Reagan had a mock vote. We all voted, at libby elementary in 1986, for which president we would like... I suppose Jim would have a problem with the fact that Reagan won in that vote?

And yes Jim, you are dancing, and Roland it's Illiterate, not Eliterate.

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  33. Carline - Quebec, Canada

How could guests show up late at MJ's funeral....? unbelievable!

And what would we do without CNN's coverage? Thank you guys!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  34. Birjees

If you check this out you will find that most parents who are objecting to the President's upcoming address to school children on TV are the ones who did not even allow their kids to watch his inaugaration on TV....their objections are racially biased and that is the only agenda they have!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  35. lisa

I cannot believe this guy Jim.... unbelievable!!!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama should keep his nose out of the schools.

September 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  37. Claude

The level of disrespect the President has been given is unbelievable. I have never seen anyone treated like this. It is so sad

September 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  38. Samuel M'boro, TN

Unfortunately, this man is what many are listening to in the Republican Party and this is why they have lost votes. Putting out spin and false statements out in the public is very damaging. Democrats have done it too, though. It's not a partisan issue, it's happening on both sides.

September 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  39. gail

The hypocrisy is astounding of this man !

September 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  40. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Casey, I agree with you. This is an address to children.

Why would he even speak about health care? Children don't have to worry about that. Let them be kids and have fun. Kids who should remotely think about health care are seniors in high school and college students.

Besides, Obama could be speaking on a Paternal matter.

September 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  41. Shevonna

I don't understand why some parents are upset at President Obama speaking to kids across the nation. Most schools show Channel One, and last year they did a mock vote for the 2008 election. I was a senior last year and I was so excited at how all the kids were taking a part in learning about current events. Although we were in high school, we showed better manners than I see these parents showing about politics. Sad.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  42. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

"So you don't want them exposed to the President of the United States?"

You hit it on the head right there. I made a similar remark when discussing this controversy with someone earlier.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  43. Shonda

Good comeback Anderson towards the guy who is objecting to Obama's broadcast to the kids on Tuesday. The oppositon this and the health care plan is rooted in racism.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |