September 3rd, 2009

Evening Buzz: Jackson Laid to Rest

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/03/michael.jackson.funeral/art.jackson.afp.gi.jpg caption= "A private funeral for Michael Jackson will be held tonight in Glendale, California."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight we'll have live coverage of Michael Jackson's funeral. It starts at 10pm ET. A lot of big stars will be there. We'll have all the details. And, we'll also have the latest developments on the death investigation. Last week, the coroner announced he ruled Jackson's death a homicide.

We also have the uproar over the speech Pres. Obama plans to give school children next Tuesday. According to the White House the focus will be on the importance of education and staying in school. But some republicans say the address is all part of a political agenda to indoctrinate students. Some parents have threatened to keep their children out of school that day. What do you think of the planned speech? An important message or propaganda?

And, a family torn apart is reunited. We have new insight on the homecoming for Jaycee Dugard. Police say she was held captive for 18 years by Phillip Garrido, who is the father of her two children. Tonight new allegations have surfaced against Garrido. The new twists and turns in the story tonight on 360°.

Join us for these stories and more starting at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. rr

I am glad that MJ gets a burial and hopefully a final resting place. His talents will live on. It is so sad that those close to him could not prevent him from his ills and addictions. I hope that those responsible for this death will be brought to justice. This shows that fame and fortune breathes greed and sensationalism. It is evident that the implications of this tarnished the last years of MJ's life up to the final moments of his mortality. I hope this family will be mindful in keeping perspective and example of worthiness and goodness in civility for his children.

As for the privateness of this ceremony, I honestly think this is something they should have realized when the boys grew up as a band in the early 60s and onward that outreach to public domains would happen. They need to understand that the public mourns with them, and not prevent journalism from operating.

September 4, 2009 at 12:19 am |
  2. Veronica

I pray for the Michael to be at peace. I pray that his mom, dad, and siter and brothers stay strong.

September 4, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  3. Steve Todd

Now would be the perfect time to set aside any issues and just celebrate the mans life. May God be with the family and the children. It is family time now not news. Sorry CNN, but there is a time and place for everything.

September 4, 2009 at 12:14 am |
  4. carol kesling

thank you anderson for the "CLASS" you showed tonite and every night... while this is a sad night, it needed to happen... michael needs to be laid to rest, and hopefully he can finally be at peace.... thank you again anderson and be carefull in afghanistan! you will be in my prayers!!!! stay well ...

September 4, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  5. Kial

R.I.P Michael you are a true legend an will be deeply missed

September 4, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  6. Lana

I've started to watch your show again tonight sfter my disgust with all of the negative stuff being said by the media about President Obama. Thank you, Mr Cooper for being one of – if not the – last professional and clearly objective television news hosts. Please keep up the good work

September 4, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  7. PEGGY

RESTIN PEACE MICHAEL,,,,YOU DESERVE IT.....GOD BLESS YOUR WONDERFUL CHIDERN

September 4, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  8. Linda Strickland

I certainly hope this place will be the final resting place for Michael Jackson. It is time to start the healing process and move on in life, not just for his children and family, but for all of us. He made an enormous impact on millions of people around the world, an impact that will be felt for a long time. It feels as if so many do not want to let go, but would he want that? I know he would want his children to continue to grow, become adults and make decisions that will help them to fulfill their own dreams and maybe inspire those with whom they would surround themselves. I don't think he wants time to stand still as it seems to have for so many since his passing. He thrived on his passion for his music and in performing for millions in his lifetime, and he was preparing to do it all over again. There will never be another entertainer like him, because Michael Jackson was one of a kind. He was also a humanitarian who cared about the sick and less fortunate and believed in healing for all whom he encountered. I pray the Peace of God will continue to surround his family now and in the days to come.

September 4, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  9. YVETTE

MJ REST IN HEAVEN, U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED BUT NEVER BE FORGOTTEN...

September 4, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  10. Christy

This is a sad day but Micheal is going home. I really thought he was going to be buried at Neverland..I still think he should of been. How can fans visit him, we can't. Not sure if that's fair or not because he loved his fans as they loved him. I hope they do something with Neverland because that is Micheal, any other place just would not be.

September 3, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  11. Kelley & Dylan Evans

Michael will be missed but his music will be carried on for many years to come.4 generations of my family are mourning his loss fro 87yrs- 4yrs. In fact my 4yr old just begged for his first Michael Jackson CD and listens to it all the time...very reminiscent to myself in the 80's. Rest in Peace our brother

September 3, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  12. bgarbo

My God I was sorry to lose Michael–But come on, tonight is nothing but a plot for the family to make more public his work, the poor murdered man should have been buried weeks ago. Ted Kennedy was buried in four days JFK was buried quicker than MJ, Robert Kennedy was buried in a matter of days and there are so many much much more important than Micheal Jackson. This is really shameful on the Jackson side and also to lead everyone on tonight and then shut off the feed–what a joke-do not tell me different-this is just a public event to make more money off a beautiful dead man-GOD LET HIM REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

September 3, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  13. Kathy

GOODNIGHT Michael....R.I.P we will miss you, thank you for sharing your talent with the world....you are amazing..I will think of you everytime there is a thunder storm...."preformig one of your amazing shows for all the children in Heaven...GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL.

September 3, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  14. Jo Ann

For the Jackson Family to leave Michaels fans who love and adore him out from veiwing his funeral is wrong. How dare they do this to his fans. I feel so hurt. This is not the time for them to leave his fans out. They could at least kept the feed going until the funeral was over. We loved him to. I was there during his trial, and have been praying for him. I guess they will be saleing the funeral coverage. Bad Judgement on the family's part. REST IN PEACE MJ. LOVE AND KISSES.

September 3, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  15. Zoe

It's time for Obama to act like cowboy Bush. Come on.

September 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  16. Sally

Some people come into our lives and quickly go,
    Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts
    and we are never, ever the same...

Thank you, Michael, for your gift of song, your gift of dance, and most of all, for your HEART.

Rest in peace, Michael.

September 3, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  17. wil.streetz

U made me luv music

September 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  18. beth

Finally Michael Jackson will be resting, peace he so deserves. As I watch this live footage I cant hold tears back. I feel for the family my heart goes out to them. I will miss U Michael may your soul rest in peace.

September 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  19. anna

farewell michael rip..i love n miss u..god bless

September 3, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  20. betty boseman

RIP Michael Jackson. You will be missed. Still can't believe you are gone.

September 3, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  21. cjdoucette

Thanks for the coverage on MJ's funeral, Anderson. And thank you Kelefa for articulating my sense of how some in the music biz here in the U.S, the movers & shakers & fans alike, have come to reclaim him & admire him more after his death. I haven't kept up with the American music scene too much this past decade. So thanks for confirming my impressions. I'm sorry to add but so many in the media (no disrespect to you, Anderson) have been busy pointing fingers as to the cause of his death, but none of them have owned up to their share of the blame for the pain & suffering Michael felt which was exacerbated by the scandals, trials & tribulations he experienced! Thanks again to Kelefa for his insights & for your great questions, Anderson. Rest in God's Peace, Michael! You are so loved & missed!

September 3, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  22. rick

I find the coverage over the top. I certainly hope the Michael finds peace but feel certain that we have spent enough time watching this ongoing show. The Jackson family needs to show soom grace and dignity and stop parading him around and lay him to rest. I find it insulting that the service is at least an hour late and that the other important issues are not being covered. How is the latest deceased soldiers family doing tonight????

September 3, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  23. Kary

I really respected Michael and his music. I hate to bring this up, but this funeral was supposed to be "private" and respectful. How come is it that the family is "allowing" helicopters and if you look closely there's a camera on an "arm" type thing zooming in. This was supposed to be private to celebrate his private life. What will be next, is the family going to sell this footage of his funeral for profit? This makes me so angry that his "family" is seemingly profitting off his death. Just so sad to me....so, so, sad. Michael is in such a better place now.......

September 3, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  24. CANADA@gmail.com

This is sooooo sad

September 3, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  25. Angele

MJ was not perfect, but none of us are perfect. He was a very talented man with one of the kindest spirits I have ever known. He truly loved others and wanted to help children and those less fortunate. May his children forever remember how much he loved them!

September 3, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  26. Annie Burke

Lovely time of the day for a funeral. Ok. It's not what we would consider "normal" to have a funeral at sundown, but I think it's a lovely time to bury someone...at the end of the day. I wasn't an avid fan, although I don't believe for a nanno second that he ever molested children. Unfortunately, we are all so cynical nowadays. But I firmly believe he was unique in many way, had a heart as big as Texas, and a troubled mind. All this aside, he was an AWESOME performer. All very very sad. To Mrs. Jackson, "My condolences.You're a lady."

September 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  27. Caroline

I am shocked and outraged by what is being circulated by the Republican "hate machine" in this country. I have actually heard people urging other people to call for a "sick-out" rather than have their children listen to Pres. Obama's speech to school children next week. Shame on you....................

September 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  28. Rose

Michael's kind and loving spirit still lingers in my mind. Thank you AC for having Mr. Chopra on tonight. He is a good soul and his comments are appreciated.

September 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  29. uche steve

Michael may you finally rest in peace, you will always be in our hearts and music, we love you and You will be missed.

September 3, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  30. Ann-Virginia

Thank you Michael for giving your all to the world.You will be remembered for your kind gentle soul that will live.You are "the music."

September 3, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  31. Lori

Beautiful ceremony. I would be so sad if I had to bury my son.

September 3, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  32. DIANE ERB

Dear Anderson, I;m a Canadian,always loved your country.When President Obama has to tell teachers what his speech contains. Are Americans gone Nuts,?This is The President...Hello?????????????????

September 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  33. Amy

Our school district is going to tape the speech and review it to see if it is acceptable for our students. I find it hard to believe these are the same people who preach respect to the students. Respect the office if not the man.

September 3, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  34. Carline - Quebec, Canada

Where is Brooke Shields?

Anyway, I feel sad!!!! Thriller was the first album I ever bought when I was a teenager and now I feel that these wonderful years are gone forever (I was 15 when this album was released)...

R.I.P. Michael.... 🙁

September 3, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  35. CANADA@gmail.com

HE IS THERE IN SPIRIT DANCING AND SINGING AMONG US

September 3, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  36. obed

a lot of memories talknig about couple of celebrities buried here

September 3, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  37. Katz

Please make that Florida Republican get off his broken record about lesson plans. Obama won the election. Get over it and get a real life.

September 3, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  38. Cindy

See you in heaven my litle Peter Pan. God bless you Michael. I love you so much!

September 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  39. BJ

Michael was an extremely talented young man. It's too bad that he got so wrapped up in "whatever it was" (stress?) that caused him to choose the path ( of drugs, etc) that he did. If only he had turned to the one true God who is our Comforter and Peace Giver, and not others and medications. May God be with his family, especially his children, as they go thru the investigations, etc. in the days to come.

September 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  40. mariah

Im glad his body is now going to be laid to rest. Im going to miss you mikey, and my payers go out to the family,and especially his childern.

September 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Nick & Sonya Diane Jones

Michael Jackson was the greatest artist in the world. He will be missed, but never forgotten and his music will live on forever. After everything that he's been through, it's so wonderful to see such an outpour of love and respect from everyone. He wasn't able to see everything that has happened, but it must give his family a great feeling of pride. Rest In Peace Michael

September 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Abbey

Rest in peace Michael.

The thing which I find so sad that even on his finally journey to put him to rest after 2 1/2 month from his passing. This family can not even meet the timeframe for his final funeral to be buried. It time they forget about there issues and to put there loved one to rest!!.

Rest Dear Michael. I hope you are finally at peace!

September 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. natalie

even though im 12. i knew alot about micheal. the day he died i didnt believe it until i went to the internet. this is even sadder than the girl who got kidnapped. but anyways micheal u will always ROCK OUR WORLD!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. jelena

Goodbye love ;( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. sue sherwood

Michael may you finally rest in peace, you will always be in our hearts and music, sweet dreams. You will be missed.

September 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Stuart

This is our Royal Family and this family has lost its superstar leader. We will miss him and his love for people all over the world...

September 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. JSpiegel

It is very sad. He was a legend, beyond talented. There will never be another Michael Jackson. May he R.I.P. and God bless him and his family. Thank you Michael for sharing your talent with the world. We love and miss always.

September 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Molly

Oh my god... i still can't belive he's gone... it's about time they laid him to rest... I love and miss you Michael!

September 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Catherine

Goodbye Michael.
    R.I.P

September 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Sarah

Thank goodness that Michael Jackson will finally be allowed to rest in peace! So very sad to see you go MJ, but finally, you can get the rest that you so dearly deserve!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |