September 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/2/09

We’ve heard a lot about Phillip Garrido, the convicted sex offender who fathered two children with Jaycee Dugard, but his wife Nancy is also charged with Jaycee’s kidnapping and rape.

Also tonight part two of Drew Griffin’s investigation into the black market for human organs. Tonight you’ll see just how desperate some people are for Kidneys and we’ll introduce you to a man who preys on that desperation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Minou, New York City

Who else is buried inside that chamber?

September 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Robert Lake,MI

I dont care how much debt I`m in I would never sell my organs period! Cant get blood from a turnip!

September 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Lori, IL

The "kidney selling" business is crazy. I have an aunt who had a kidney transplant about a year ago - her "new" kidney was donated by a friend of hers. The amount of testing and counseling both women had to go through was incredible. I can't believe how these hospitals and doctors preforming the "illegal" surgeries are just looking the other way -

September 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Coffin gold ... This sumptuous all I don't like!

September 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Who else would pay for MJ's funeral but his estate?

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This is reminding me of James Brown. I thought they would never bury him!

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Dodie - California

Very sad that the poor has to sell their organs in order to survive!!!

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Gosh, it is about time they laid MJ to rest. thanks for hanging in there Randi Kaye! xoxo

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Does Michael Jackson finally rest in peace?

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Charles

Is not about consenting, is about the money, some people need the money so they sell their children's organs in China...and in any poor country...

September 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

It just makes me so incredibly happy that Michael Jackson is finally getting buried. It's being 2 intensive months 🙁

September 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Sabrina in Los Angeles

There is a reason that donors go through a major screening process.

I feel that this father is finding out why his donor died shortly after the surgery. A bad kidney is no replacement for a diseased one.

Try natural health....they can fix livers/kidneys with herbs and a diet change...but that means will power on the part of the patient.

September 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Why are people so scared of death that they need to risk the lives of those desperate for money? People sacrifice their own lives to save others, like those firefighters in LA. Then on the flip side we have people so concerned about themselves they don't care who they hurt or butcher to prolong their selfish lives.

September 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  14. gary

I would do a little research into my kidney purchasing company. But that's just me!

September 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Wow! Because your are wealthy your life is more important than one who is poor. that just blows me away. people are so dissappointing.

September 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Danielle in Long Beach, CA

a few years ago just after my 23rd birthday I was the recipient of a donor organ and there is absolutely no way I would have purchased it on the black market. Nothing good ever comes out of underhanded deeds.

September 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

I could imagine they let the girl die on the table to harvest all her other organs and tissues and make money off of her.

September 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Donna, Ontario, Canada

I remember a while back people were selling organs on Ebay, Ebay put an end to this very quickly

September 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Julie - Boston

Donors for Dollars...I am conflicted. If someone consents to sell their organ, why not? The China thing...well those organs come from all sorts of places. The prisons are doing big business in China selling organs, that is wrong.

September 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Sabrina in Los Angeles

That girl was just parts...and that is sad.

I think that the practice needs to be strictly monitored.

This is not right.

September 2, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ David Gergen

You are 100% correct! We have spent Millions on contractors who have ruined our reputation, and committed acts that some of them are now being prosecuted for.

It's not enoug, these contractors need to be VETTED seriously before any more contracts are awarded! and YES, they should absolutely be held to the same standards of behavior as our brave troops!

September 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Charles

Buying organs is actually a huge business in CHINA...they are the worst, particularly because they use kids...

September 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

@ Dodie, I totally agree. He's like 19, right? It just doesn't seem he understands the impact of his actions, so what will stop him from doing it again?

September 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Dodie - California

Very sad about people selling their organs in order to survive!!

September 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Patty A Banks, Palmdale, Ca

This harvesting of organs sounds so barbaric, i can't understand how this ( excuse the pun ) operates underground? this brings to mind the film Coma with Michael Douglas, think i'll watch it again

September 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Denise is right. It is a choice to abuse someone. Society is responsible for people like Brown, O.J., and Vick because they make excuses for this type of behavior and do not take it seriously.

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Dulcie - Denver

Chris Brown looked and acted like a thug. He's not well-spoken and dressed like a choir boy. Uh no, I don't think so. He didn't admit a thing and doesn't look sorry at all. He's probably just sorry he got caught.

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

@Isabel – it shouldn't but it does. Sad thing is, as was said, is that authorities won't intervene until physical harm is inflicted. Lawfully, what can be done before that?

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Pam - San Diego, CA

Violence is a learned behavior. You are NOT born with it.

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Enrique

This will probably by answered with a "you dummy", but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. There are always some debates about whether or not the US is still (or was ever) welcomed in Afghanistan. It seems that if the vast majority of the local population was strongly leaning one way or the other, it would strongly simplify the decision making from the US standpoint, at least from a PR standpoint. So why can't the Afghans "vote" on this very issue! If they clearly signaled that the US should go, then so be it. At least the US could stand by the their decision and not be criticized later on... alright, they will always be criticized to some extent... but still...

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Heather,ca

He got the celebrity discount!

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Robert Lake,MI

Newsflash we have had more contractors every since Bush waged an unjust war in Iraq, at one time there were over 275,000 in Iraq. They operate like military with fewer rules and get paid a lot more than our soldiers. If you want to fight in a foriegn country then join the military, contractors as they are now should be outlawed!

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Lisa

Chris' comments were nothing but an image make over attempt. Ask any Barbadian and they can tell you the incident in Barbados did happen and there were witnesses.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Donna, Ontario, Canada

wow sale organs for a living are you serious thats creepy

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Dodie - California

He does not appear to be willing to be responsible for his behavior. Therefore, the possibility of a re-occurrence is extremely high!

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Sabrina in Los Angeles

They put him in baby blue because it is a trustworthy color.

They put him in a sweater and bow tie to make him look more "conservative/upscale" and not like a THUG.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Buddy Lee

Once again, Denise Brown is standing up and making Nicole proud!!!
    She has dedicated Her life to educating and helping others in domestic violence cases...
    It was so appropriate that She is on AC360, as the first time I saw that picture of Rhianna after the beating, it made Me sick, as it looked WAY TOO much like the pics of Nicole Brown, after Oj had beaten Her...

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Linda-Portland, OR

@David G. first of all, good evening to you...i agree with you 100%...i am embarrassed by that story. shame on those contractors and they should be fired!

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Heather,ca

How can you expect a guy to talk about something he claims he forgot?

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Charles

Anderson do you feel he really showed remorse for his actions, or was he just in avoidance???

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David Gergen

I agree, Mr Gergen! Those photos of the contractors in Afghanistan are repellant!

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Hilary Smith

Re: Chris Brown

I thought CB's comments about how his "talent" (subjective) can do more good for people as a role model, than community physical labour.

He's conveniently forgetting that the punishment handed by the Judge is to teach CB something, not the community.

I think also CB is taking his "celebrity" to his head, comparing himself to Michael Jackson – it's disgusting. MJ would NEVER have hit a woman or child.

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Rasheena

On the otherhand I think it was a bad idea for Chris to say that he doesn't remember the incident. If you don't remeber doing it, then what to say you won't do it again. That suggest some loss of self control.

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I think a lot of women put up with psychological or emotional abuse where they would draw the line at physical abuse.

September 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It was a Sunday school interview. What was the arguement about Chris? The violence lies in the guarded arguement. If he choose not to deal with it, he will not heal as he should. Young or old, the violence is the same

September 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Colleen SANE

Anderson, please make a point of noting Chris Brown not only struck Rhianna, he attempted to strangle her! The photos clearly show contusions consistent with choking, which reflects more advanced domestic violence.

September 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. starr, formerly known as vincent

I was physically abused by my 1st husband. I have hime a warning that if he every hit me again i would leave, and so i did.

After i left, he then tried to kill me for over a year, I was beaten by himin public at least 5 more times. I was told by the police & my attorney that Nothing could be done until i was Dead.

At that time, it was a Misdemeanor for a husband to hit his wife!

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

@Erica-I dont believe that chris brown's mother's abuse influenced chris to abuse rihanna. In addition there is no right for chris to hit rihanna whatsoever.... His past should not influence him in the future..he should learn from it

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Who is she trying to fool? Late teens are not kids. They can drive a car, vote, and fight in Iraq.

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It's so absurd and frightening that someone use the fear, guilt, shame, and intimidation to gain complete power over another person.

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |