September 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/2/09

We’ve heard a lot about Phillip Garrido, the convicted sex offender who fathered two children with Jaycee Dugard, but his wife Nancy is also charged with Jaycee’s kidnapping and rape.

Also tonight part two of Drew Griffin’s investigation into the black market for human organs. Tonight you’ll see just how desperate some people are for Kidneys and we’ll introduce you to a man who preys on that desperation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Charles

If he is a little bit smart he will not hit again...but there is no remorse so perhaps he will do it again, specially if he is under the influence of a foreign substance or alcohol. I think he will do it again. I will really hope he will learn, but the first step is acceptance, taking responsibility, and dealing with the issues at hand, not avoiding it.

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Domestic violence should not happen to anybody

September 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. sally

chris brown should have said sorry and kept his mouth shut instead of coming on Larry King cuz everyone knows that he is lying.....Rihanna needs to speak up cuz chris and his mum is giving the impression that she is saying: " yeah chris beat the heck out of me, but i am ok...no big deal"

September 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. David Gergen

Hello everyone - those photos of the contractors in Afghanistan are repellant. We now have more contracting personnel on the ground there than soldiers - indeed, the ratio of private contractors to US military is the highest in our history. Surely, we can require the contractors to meet the same high standards that the US Army sets for behavior on foreign soil (the Army does not always succeed but it tries really hard to provide a positive example - and millions of our soldiers have lived up to standards over the years). Will be really interesting to hear the reports from AC and the team next week in Afghanistan.

September 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Chris Brown poses as a good guy now... absurd!

September 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Nadine

Not convince...Chirs mentioned that he could do more as a part of his punishment by talking to kids. I hope he doesn't because, he didn't use the platform on Larry King and he's still in denial.

September 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Danielle in Long Beach, CA

Chris Brown's reaction didn't surprise me at all. He's probably just hoping all of this will go away. He had alot of excuses, being young and not knowing how to love someone and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. He needs to read Robert Fulghum poem "All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten". Specifically Don't hit people.

September 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Anna

Anderson please explain why we are sending more of our men and women to Afghanistan what is the real purpose?? Haven't enough of them died already??? Iraq was nuclear weapons....... Now what is the reason ???

September 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Linda - San Diego

They dressed him like a second grader. Right. When, oh when will our legislators and our president make laws to punish judiciously for the outrageous violence against women and children??? Hilary would have done something.

September 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

He may have hostility built up against his mother, but that is still not any excuse to beat up on an innocent person. He is just looking for an excuse for his bad behavior.

I am not buying any of it.

September 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I can't believe he never spoke the details he is a coward .

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

1 out of 4??? Holy Crap! What's wrong with our men? That needs to be addressed.

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Quiana

Chris Brown : I truly believe he is sorry and feels really bad what he has done, he is now paying the price. People need to back off and let them deal with the help he needs

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Harmony

What Chris Brown did is completely inexcusable, but at least he is taking responsibility and not trying to blame her. He was stupid, but if he says sorry, then we have to give him a chance. But only one.

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Who loves, is a partner, son, friend, not harm or attack!

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Pauline

Chris Brown needs a strong dose of truth serum – once an abuser; always an abuser – they don't change.....

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Zoee - Canada

In regards to the Chris Brown interview on Larry King, I feel like it was just for him to apologize and to really prove to everyone that he is indeed sorry. He didn't explain anything about the incident or anything having to do with Rihanna. It's understandable since he wanted to be respectful of her, but I don't really see how this clarified anything or that there was really a point to this interview since we already knew he was sorry. He is young so hopefully he has learned from his mistake and that he starts setting an example with not only his words but his actions.

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Brown's answers aren't taking any responsibility at all.

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Charles

Mr. Brown, Sometimes you need to use common sense, no need for someone to teach you about what is right or wrong. Learn from other's mistake, and don't say that Michael was labeled just like you. That is not a fair comparison...

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Did Larry King just say that Chris Brown seemed "rather nice'? are you serious?

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Louise

Chris sounds young and yes stupid yet talented but I do believe that he might have been in an anger black-out. That does happen to people when they allow their anger to get out of control. I believe that he is sincere and remorseful. He has a lot of growing to do and I am not ready to write him off. Why is it that people want to condem a person forever when they are guilty of an offense and are punished by the courts? We have become a very mean unforgiving society. NO, I don't want to hear anything that Denise Brown has to say. She is guilty of knowing that her sister, Nicole, was being abused and did absolutely nothing but continue to spent the mighty $$$ of OJ's. Keep her off the show. Or am I being mean not to forgive her?

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Camille Castro, AZ

please be careful over there, okay Anderson? : D

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Chris' mom seemed heatbroken and sad .It's so sad for her .

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Monica M. Williams

I would like to hear AC's opinion on Chris Brown. Not the opinion of the journalist, TV Host. The opinion of the man who exist beyond the desk.

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. lashaun

im still a fan

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  26. masako/nyc

good evening anderson.
    i can't stop worrying about anderson going to afghanistan next week. please be careful and safe.

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

I find it difficult trying to understand the mind of a criminal, but I think Nancy. Garrido is fully colluding with her husband.

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Jessica, Georgia

No Chris brown- were both young and nobody taught us–is no excuse!

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Does Chris Brown really deserve to be on Larry King? Does he deserve this publicity? and now on AC360?

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Scott Stodden

I wanted to say that I feel Chris Brown is very sorry for what he did to Rihanna, he feels terrible and devasted for what he did. Chris I hope you get through this eventually and God works in your life. Love you Chris.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,IL)

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Chris Brown really doesn't have an excuse. People rise above horrible abuse and become wonderful kind people and treat others the way they wished they were treated. Being a man or lady involves rising above the awful things that happen to us and facing life with dignity grace and kindness.

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It's irritating ... he poses as a good guy now!

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Julie - Boston

Being imbedded in Afghanistan, looking forward to the reporting but sounds dangerous.

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Charles

I can't believe he would not go into details about what happened. There was no answer... there is no remorse...

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I look forward to your report Anderson safe travel .

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

(I wasn’t feeling very well yesterday)

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Sandra Robertson, GA

Anderson I pray you and all CNN staff stay safe in Afghanistan.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Pat

Are there any pictures of the inside of the Garrido house? We've only
    seen the discussing condition of the back yard.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Erica, I can't understand how Chris Brown could watch his mother being abused, yet choose to do it himself.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Joe Terrogano

First of all nice staging on Larry King. The baby blue outfit with the little boy bow tie. Add mommy for good measure. Then bring up domestic violence in his past. Claim that you don’t remember and that you don’t want to talk about it “out of respect for her”, but then add “and for myself”. Have a slick attorney to field the hard stuff. Say something about being ashamed. Deny this ever happened before (when there is proof it did). What do you have? A typical domestically violent man who is more interested in salving his career than anything else. A very immature man.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Samuel

I don't know about Chris Brown, it seems he lacks sincerity. Or he just has trouble expressing emotion. As with the war in Afghanistan, I do believe we still need to be there but we may need to rethink our strategy. Like Walter Cronkite said days after 9/11 on Letterman, we need to work on the inside as well: infiltrating the enemies and taking them out from there. The CIA and the intelligence community needs to be a major force in combating terrorism.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Henah

Chris Brown's behavior was physical abuse – this is very serious and dangerous behavior. "A mistake" as he called it does not match the violence of his behavior.
    Seems like the interview was a display of legal coaching that he and his mother tried to pull off.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cessy, Chicago,
    Yes, Anderson will reporting from Afghanistan begining next week..... I hope he will stay safe there. 🙂

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Linda-Portland, OR

Chris Brown did not persuade me that he was sorry...and the part when he talked about doing things to be a role model for kids...i think that is too late.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Caroline

Sadly, if you're intuitive, you can tell that Chris Brown is heading to be another OJ Simpson.

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

It's too dangerous to go to Afaganistan . I don't think it's wise to travel there either .

September 2, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Gisselle - Houston, TX

I am trying to separate Chris Brown the artist from Chris Brown the individual, so I won't be too hard on him and I still like his music and I do like Rihanna's too...BUT I do think that he needs to lay low for a while, there is no excuse for a man beating up on a woman, none whatsoever, so whatever he comes up with at this point is pretty much rubbish. But to coin him a monster or the worst human being on earth? I couldn't do that. He very young and has probably had some issues in his life that had caused him to become violent – not making excuses, just pointing that out – and he obviously needs lots of therapy and hopefully he is getting it, and Rihanna – the victim – needs it too.

September 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@ Erica

I felt really bad for his mom, she seemed so dissapointed and hurt with he's son's situation.

September 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Donna, Ontario, Canada

stay safe anderson looking forward to you report from afganistan

September 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Scott Stodden

I feel that Phillip and Nancy Garrido and all law enforcement who never investigated the home should all be locked up and throw away the key. This story is so shocking and sick to kidnap 12 year old Jaycee Lee and rape her is sick and they all should spend the rest of there lives in prison.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,IL)