September 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/2/09

We’ve heard a lot about Phillip Garrido, the convicted sex offender who fathered two children with Jaycee Dugard, but his wife Nancy is also charged with Jaycee’s kidnapping and rape.

Also tonight part two of Drew Griffin’s investigation into the black market for human organs. Tonight you’ll see just how desperate some people are for Kidneys and we’ll introduce you to a man who preys on that desperation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cyn

Chris's mother is in a much denial as her son....they both need therapy

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

One of my high school classmates was killed in Afganistan last month... just buried at Arlington this weekend. His wife is pregnant with twins. Very sad. Was profiled on NBC nightly news. He deserved it.

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Adriana RM Marietta,Ga

I've read the Republican bill HR 3400, it's worse then HR 3200 it offfers tax credits to everyone. Who do you think will ultimately pay that bill?

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  4. wendy

hi anderson u rock chris brown is so full of crap he thinks he did nothing wrong that night he beat the hell out of her that night and will do it again to women he is in denial he did not answer anything on larry king live he is a bad person nothing he said was true about how he feels about the beating woman please stay away from him he has no respect for females he cares about making money dont buy a word he says

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Maribel

I really think Chris Brown should Fall Back and let his career go where it needs to go....in the garbage! Apology Not Accepted! He sounded like an uneducated thug.

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Chris San Diego, CA

Are there reports that support that these contractors in Afghanistan were on duty or about to be on duty when these "hazing" incidents happened?

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't wait to buy sen. kennedy’s soon-to-be published memoir, I could read this book...... I love his book to read. 🙂

September 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The Gop and Democrats can't sit down and reach an agreement on healthcare this is for everyone's right how can they not put thier disagreemnts aside and make this happen .

September 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Isabel

Talking about the fires in southern California. Not Man-made. Use the term Human caused.

September 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Caroline

Chris Brown needs to remake himself. Go to college, get a mentor and become a man. Mother and son are in solid denial.

September 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Suzanne, Vancouver CA

He sat there is his powder bllue suit and offered no explanation for what happened. I don’t need details of the actual assault, I can read that in the police report, but explaining WHY he was so angry, why he behaved in the way he did, what led to him behavng in such a manner to someone he “loved”……. using “respect for Rihanna” as an excuse to answer nothing. Ugh, why was he even on the show? He said nothing that in any way redeems his actions.

September 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Chris Brown did what he did because he doesn't believe that celebrities need to follow the same rules as everybody else and he knows that they get special treatment by the authorities.

September 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Kay I agree why can't they fix the healthcare never mind banks they are mixed up for sure .

September 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Phillip - Dallas

Who goes on TV to be interviewed and doesn't answer any questions ? Chris Brown is now an Idiot & Monster !! Any women that marries a Registered Sex Offender is one lonely chick !!

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Kari

He didn't want to mentally walk back through that incident to remind his "fans" of who he is when he is not dancing and singing. As with most batterers there are some woman out there that will take his apology seriously, enough to date him. Mom's talk to your daughters.

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Carey Lyddy

Why did Chris Brown do the interview? He said nothing! He is a kid with a lot to learn and he regrets it? OH REALLY! You beat up a woman and apparently made some monster-like clife threatening comments. If you aren't a monster, explain yourself....because you sounded like one in all the reports and pictures we saw. I would rather hear the honest story and believe in your change instead of nothing. I mean come on he acted like there is nothing to say! I am not around violence, nor have I ever been....someone biting me and punching me in the face, slamming my head? EXPLAIN YOURSELF! Or be feared, because I don't believe you that this hasn't happened before, or that it won't happen again. I want to, but you gave me nothing to work with!

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Pam - San Diego, CA

Hi AC!

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Kari I agree with you Chris wouldn't have been so conrite if they wern't there .

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Nancy

Michelle, you are dead on...Chris Brown and his svengali, Mark Geragos are making sure the money train doesn't derail. Why do people have to buy this guy's music? Are there not artists equally talented who actually do not beat the tar out of their loved ones?

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Kathleen

Hi Anderson,

My last name is Cooper, too. 🙂
    I love your show. You are so impeccable at what you do. You're great! Thank you for being you and for all your great reporting and hard work.

Kathleen

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Barry D

What was the name of that Criminologist in the last segment?

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Sabrina in Los Angeles

The Monrovia firefighters are already bulldozing a trench to stop it from going east.

They always stop it quickly.

If it hits Arcadia/Altadena, they are going to do a co-op and assist all three cities as one....I heard that on the channel 3 local Monrovia station.

I saw water drops being done on the hills just north of our house.

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I love how Senator Kennedy wrote the pope about the health care debate and probably planned for that letter to be read at his burial... you can never keep an Irishman down!

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  24. dave

The President needs to keep his commitment to the people when he was on the campaign trail. Broken promises will lead to viscous public rebuke.The people we elect to the house and senate needs to be honest to the people that elect them. Root out the special interest. Lets have affordable health care .Stop the greed and selfishness!

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Pam - San Diego, CA

California fire is 22% contained. It is a hugh fire.
    God Bless those firefighters!

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Randa

I am watched CNN with Chris Brown......Sigh!! I think his mom is in so much denile she knows where he learned it from and why he go that angry.......(Just My Opnion)

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Vickie_AR

On the health care debate. Why all the talk about Republicans winning or Democrats winning? I thought the point was for the American people to win....
    We need health care for all Americans.

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am very disappointed to hear that the Pres. may drop the public option. Having worked for ins. co.'s, the public option would have kept them in line with prices, etc.

Co-op's, although successful in Some cases, is Much harder to accomplish than people think.

We Really need health care Insurance reform, and i am sorry that politics has ruined what could have been a good program for all of us. Too much mis-information and fear mongering.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica,
    I hope it will work it out for our healthcare a deal tonight, I hope it will pass this bill!

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  30. andersoncnn

evening everyone..

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Kay

I can't believe that this country was able to pull money out of thin air to bail out the banks, but we can't get it together to pass this health care reform. Talk about mixed up priorities.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Aaron, London

Hi everyone, first time on the blog. Its cool to hear everyones commentary.

Interested to hear more about the organ black market..

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Maureen

Good Evening Everyone,
    I agree with many of you, this story is creepy. I do think this woman may have been victimized, however, this does not give her permission to stand by for 18 years and watch this happen.
    I also wanted to comment on the statement that was made that "a woman can not rape a girl" Women rape or sexually abuse girls all the time. Sexual abuse/rape is not limited to traditional intercourse.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. gary

What Chris Brown kept coming back to was how this affected HIM. And he ended the interview by suggesting that he and Michael Jackson were both falsely accused But, overall, he probably did more good than bad for himself among the general population, not including that outfit.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Glenn

I have a feeling Chris Brown is more concerned about his reputation than anthing! He has a career than can be damaged!

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

I hope that everyone will start to be a little bit more aware of what is going on around us, that includes abuse of children, animals, etc... People can make a difference.

September 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Healthcare is the one cause Sen Kennedy faught like a loin for i hope they will sort it out and everyone will have this right .

September 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Michelle, Canada

Don't get why US folks keeps fighting health care reform – seems like a no-brainer to me

September 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  39. trisha

I don't think Mister Brown's interview accomplished anything it just open opportunity for more people to question his character

September 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Randy

On the Chris Brown thing. I have no respect for someone who hits a women. Its pretty unexcuseable to me. However, if you believe in rehibilation, then you have to think at somepoint he may get through it. However, he shouldn't be around a women alone for a long, long time.

The Garrido story is just so horriable

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Just get true heath care reform passed that covers as many people as possible...fairly.

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Suzanne

I live in the town of Antioch Ca were the sex offinder lived. I just want to correct a statement that was just made. He was living in his parents home. That is why he was living there. Not because there are a lot of foreclosures in this town.

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Recita

Nancy G should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This woman had to know that Jaycee was kidnapped which is flat out wrong!!

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

I think N. Garrido is fully colluding with her husband. I feel a certain revolt in thinking that the girl's mother was away for so long!

Yesterday I was not feeling very well and I could not be here!
    I also missed you!

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Kari

On the Chris Brown interview...what happens when his mom and lawyer are not there to keep him check? Everybody does deserve a 2nd chance, but the horrific way he beat her was beyond the norm for the average domestic violence abuser.

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Kathy Chicago

It would be great for Obama ti find a way to save money on insurance for everyone.

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Shan

Chris Brown does not appear to be telling the whole truth!!! Come on how do you not recall the events the led up to such a horrible episode??????? And I don't believe this was his first violent outburst!!!!

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Jessica

Chris Brown's mom is more in denial about his problem than he is...No wonder he didn't seek therapy before he hurt Rihanna.

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. David, Indiana

Did Phillip Garrido have that ankle bracelet on at the time of the kidnapping?

@Isabel If she kept the kids in the backyard while he was in jail, then she's almost totally complicit, just as bad as him, maybe worse, because she could've turned him in.

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Chris is just doing damage control for his career this is for publicity to make himself look better to sell records .

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm |