September 2nd, 2009

Chris Brown says he still loves Rihanna

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/31/chris.brown.interview/art.chris.brown.larry.king.cnn.jpg caption="Chris Brown opens up to CNN's Larry King in his first television interview since his arrest."]
Amy Huggins
Larry King Live

Pop star Chris Brown has admitted guilt and apologized for assaulting his then-girlfriend Rihanna in February, but he does not remember hitting the singer, he told CNN's Larry King.

Looking at police reports about the incident makes him feel like he's reading about a stranger, Brown said in his first television interview since the arrest.

"I'm in shock, because, first of all, that's not who I am as a person, and that's not who I promise I want to be," he said in an exclusive interview that airs Wednesday night.

"I just don't know what to think. I'm just like, wow," Brown said. "It's crazy to me."

Brown, 20, said he still loves singer Rihanna, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty.

But, he added, it is tough for him to look at the photo showing Rihanna's battered face, the one image that might haunt and define him forever.

Keep reading...

Filed under: Chris Brown
  1. keyona geathers

its a shock! To me because they waz such a cute couple..i mean ofcouse every relationship have arguements, but then again nobodi's perfect..and most importantly u should learn frum ur mistakes

September 3, 2009 at 1:15 am |
  2. hakim

i beleive him but it was her fault any old way dont worry u will be ok Chris

September 3, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  3. Cinna

I do not buy Chris Brown's apology and I think he is sorry that he hurt his career not his woman, the youngman is crazy and I do believe that he has been physical with her before just not to this extent. When the probation is over let the beatings begin and believe me its gonna happen again, because its who Chris is...a woman beater.

September 3, 2009 at 1:09 am |
  4. Jasmine

I really wanna believe him. but im at the poitn now where i no longer care. leave him alone

September 3, 2009 at 1:02 am |
  5. art

Mr. Cooper does his listeners a disservice when he fails to mention to big pink elephant in the middle of Chris Brown's interview with Larry King; Mr. Brown's attorney. There is liitle insight gained about Mr. Brown when the questions asked and answers given are under the constraints that his attorney likely imposed. Mr. Brown sounded very limited in the content of his disclosures, but answering very difficult questions about complex behaviors in that situation has limited value. The panal discussion is valuable, but let's not judge or make too much of Mr. Brown' comments under highly prescribed and orchestrated circumstances.

September 3, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  6. Wayne / Las Vegas

This interview was a waste of Larry King and his viewer's time. Nothing more, nothing less!

September 3, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  7. Brittney

Well what I think about the whole Chris Brown and Rihanna issue is that everybody should just leave him alone. Because from what i heard is that Rihanna threw the first punch thats what i heard. So basically that was just self defence on his part, but he shouldn't have hit her that bad. Another thing is that, there have been alot of celebrities dealing with domestic violence besides Chris Brown and Rihanna and nobody is realizing that. But before everyone put all the blame on just Chris they need to realize that Rihanna is guilty for part of the situation too. No matter what happens to Chris I will always support him and buy his music, he is still one of my favorite artist.

September 3, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  8. Byron

I wonder if America feels the same way when politicians cheet on there wifes who have small kids. I wonder if all the same opinionated people have the same emotion when the gov provides misleading information. The bottom line this is an important issue but if every one stop Facebooking,Texting,Tweeting and find other things to do like TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN BY HAVING A VOCAL CONVERSATION AND SPENDING TIME TOGETHER our boys would learn to be men and the girls would learn to be ladies. I bet you won't find that advice on Facebook any where. They are still young and full of life.Instead of negative commenting take the time to help mentor him and her.If the negativity stops and the awareness starts the problems go away which one are you the problem or the solution Tweet that !

September 2, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  9. Richard Gonzales

Please find out if this batterer will be treated special by being given one on one counseling instead of all the rest, group therapy. I have been in this "fight" for 6 years and never have I had a police officer, attorney, doctor or the elite, only the working poor.

September 2, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  10. Sonia

I believe Chris Browns apology was sincere. He is very young and can change a negative into a positive by being a good role model to his young fans. He also should take a public speaking course which will help him to better articulate his thoughts and not have to resort to wow.

September 2, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  11. brad

I believe that we will never know completely what went on prior to the events that transpired that night but what he did is horrible. Yet whatever spurred this act should also be taken into consideration, now in no way will it justify his actions but it will give some insight as to if there is anything that may have come close to merriting her such harsh treatment. I read that she made comments that were indicative of the similarities between how he was beating her and how his mother was beat, which I coud only imagine the damage it does to see your mother beat; but that also is something to think about when draw your hand back and you become the man that was hurting your mother to whomever it is you abuse. Your no better than he. It's touchy and he made a mistake but we are taught to forgive and it is up to Rihanna to find it in herself to do so.

September 2, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  12. Meka

I will support him no matter what. He made a mistake and who are we to pass jugdement on anyone we are all human and we all make mistakes he is young man who did not think before he react, being in the public eye you have image to uphold so unfortunately there is no room for mistakes because of the society we live in people could be ruthless. I pray they both could move on from this unfortunate even.

September 2, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  13. Jackie

I am so Tired of this Chris Brown and Rihanna Situation!!

I am not saying what Chris has done was right by all means! it was wrong, I am glad that rihanna is well and ok...

But what i would like, is the world to look at Abuse againts women & children in a more serious light! Why does it Take this situation to happen to a "celebrity" for the world to make an up roar or a big deal over it!

That is extremly sad. This situation shouldn't have to happen to famous people for the world to really take it seriously. Im tired of all the tv personnel and papers talking about Rihanna and Chris Brown.

Please spend some time talking about those who's voices go-unheard, whos sitations don't get resolved and for those abusers who are still walking the streets, live and well! PLEASE spend some time putting them on blast and making sure the world hears the stories of the women & children who have also suffered. Rihanna is not the only one and i wish we as a society, as a world would spend more time trying to help those women.

I wish you would have showed those women & children the kind of support from the courts, the press etc as you have shown Rihanna!

September 2, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  14. Rosa

Chris Brown wishes the battered photos of Rhianna were photo shopped. Nope they all real. His doing.

September 2, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  15. Nicole

Chris said he was sorry and if the victim forgave him then why shouldn't we forgive this young man. He is not the poster child for abuse and he is not the only one who was done this, was Tommy lee all in media, Nick carter, and Ozzy?

September 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  16. Ronnie

I believe Chris Brown is full of crap. Of course he remembers what he did! He couldn't even look Larry King in the eyes for much of the interview. Until he really faces what he did, he will repeat this behavior somewhere down the line. He's got to face the ugly reality of this part of his character and then work to make deep lasting changes!

September 2, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  17. Gwendolyn

No one should ever put their hands on any one. Unless you are defending your self. My Cousin’s EX use to love it when he beat her. She would push him to his breaking point, By Beating up on he so bad.That he had to defend himself. She would fight you when you tried to stop her from beating up on him or try to stop him from fighting her off him.Then I Would Hear her begging he to make love to her. He Did Not do that. He Would Leave Her. Chris Brown might be protecting Rihanna so that the world would not know that she was the one beating on him. Don't Forget about Women who beat up on men. And what man is going to tell that.

September 2, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  18. Jonathan

Maybe I'm confusing this evenings stories, but I must agree... I believe Chris Brown may indeed be the mythical chupacabra.

September 2, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  19. keisha

I believe that he is sorry, he made a mistake. i don't agree that a man should ever hit a woman or viceverse,but i think that chris is going through this because rihanna is under jay z.. so many other celeb's have been recorded fighting or verbal abuseing women. how about the maurry show or jerry springer where abuse is entertainment for the whole world to watch. but they get paid! thank God rihanna is alive.

September 2, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Carolyn

I believe that Chris Brown is very remorseful for his assault on Rihanna. I am a (66) year old grandmother, and do not condone a man hitting a woman; however, I do believe that one can redeem him/herslf, and forgiveness is due anyone.

Placing such stringent limits on Mr. Brown is the judge's way of keeping Chris and Rihanna apart. That should be their decision. This is not what Rihanna wanted.

It is my prayer that God, who after all is the ultimate judge, will turn things around.

Also, when did Denise Brown become an expert in domestic violence ? She, as well as family members, sat idly by and allowed Nicole to be battered, and never said a word as long as O. J. was taking care of everybody. I would much rather heed the advice of the therapist thanDenise

September 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. cheryl

I cannot get over how the media is handling this as if they were 2 adults. There are so many very mature celebrity and athletes who abuse girlfriends and spouses without a fraction of the media coverage. She is a couple years older than him and typically females are more mature. All the same they are both very young people and should not be judged so harshly. I believe Chris is truly sorry. I respect the fact that he did not disclose any more details because the media would only run several more weeks on any comments made. Sorry nor will completing his sentence will be enough for the haters–we all have them. I wish the best for the young man. I will continue to be a fan because he is very talented.

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Ramona

Chris Brown is severely ill, and he needs intensive treatment. Unfortunately, his mother is enabling. I recall that in an interview a few months ago that Chris's stepfather said that Chris used to verbally disrespect and hit his own mother. If this is true, which it probably is, Chris's mother needs to come clean about his propensity to be violent. He also needs to come clean about his apparent rage. In his interview, I was not able to tell that he realizes that he is a dangerously violent person and that he has been violent for a very long time. He didn't explode that night merely because of he didn't know how to control his emotions in this particular situation. If he continues to have seriously unresolved issues with his mother, and if his mother continues to pretend that Chris has never been violent, he will attack again.

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. joy

Oh and Chris if you read this, Go and sell all your possessions, and feed the homeless, and widows. That's how you can really redeem yourself instead of coming on shows wasting people's time thinking that you would say something of value to other kid's going thru this now. Perception is a lot and my perception of you is your nothing, but a over indulged kid who just had a lesson with humility from the God above.

September 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Maria Cape Canaveral Fl.

Oh he will do it again. You can bet your bottom dollar on this. Next time he just might kill someone. He said he does not remember. Please. They all say how sorry they are until the next time. They are only sorry for the time being and give it no thought there after. They are control freaks and actually deep down inside see that they did no wrong and always blame the woman. No one in life gets a lesson on how we should be, we have a God given consciense and must learn seklf control. No doubt just the way he acted, he will do this again to someone. Not right away, but it will happen again. We have not heard the last from Chris Brown on this subject. For his own mother to state she does not buy into the cycle of violense is just ignorance on her part. These people just refuse to take any responsibility unless it is written by an attorney.

September 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Carolyn

Also, when did Denise Brown become an expert in domestic violence ? She, as well as family members, sat idly by and allowed Nicole to be battered, and never said a word as long as O. J. was taking care of everybody. I would much rather heed the advice of the therapist than Denice.

September 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Martin

we dont hurt the people that we love can be a bit difficult to decifer. i was also a victom of domestic violence from my father and i haven't inherited any of those traits nor have i suffered from any mental illness, At times it was difficult to unerstand why at times i needed him he was always there for me he defended me from other, you see you dont hurt the people you love but you still love them no matter what.

I believe what Chris did was inexcusable and wrong, i think people use the fact of abuse as a cover for doing something wrong.

Out of all of the controversey i have to say that i forgive Chris Brown. He is a child that made a mistake. Everyone deserves a second chance, even people like him.

September 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Brian Bradlley

Chris Brown lacks the information needed to help himself or others. He needs to be tought about why he did what he did in order to help himself. Although it's not easy change is possible.

September 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  28. joy

He did not help his image, he appeared his usual arrogant self. to all the young fans and women saying stop hating, and we still love you, and stop judging; just put your daughter in that position and you would have a totally different view about Chris. Yeah everyone messes up, but this wasn't a little smack on her face, this was a relentless beat down, biting, and trying to push a female out of a vehicle, and then not having the compassion to stay and help her, but leaving her hurting to fend for herself. How would you feel if you were beat down, and left for dead by the man who is "in love" with you? Oh yeah to all the women that say stop judging, stop hating, you would get back with him anyways.

September 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Chitown326

Anderson, I do believe Chris' remorse and sorrow that he expressed. What people are forgetting is the "Press" reports a lot of different things, a lot of which are not factual. When facts come out, the different Media Outlets are not the most likely forum to retract an untrue fact, they simply don't discuss it anymore, rather than say, we made an error, this isn't what happened.

As for Denise Brown, what she and her family went through is TOTALLY deplorable. OJ Simpson obviously has deep seeded issues that were never dealt with but she cannot compare Chris Brown to OJ Simpson. Anderson, as much as I respect and usually agree with your reporting, i'm a little disappoint that you chose someone with a clear agenda and bias to comment on this story.

This is 2 teenagers who didn't understand how to handle the strong feelings they were experiencing -not adults who should know better through life experience and maturation.

And yes, I am speaking from a place of experience. You can see someone's heart. You can tell when people have genuine feelings and are true to what they represent. Chris, I believe, would not do something that so clearly disappoints his mother and slaps her in the face and seemingly would condone all the harm that came to his mother during her relationship with her ex-husband.

September 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Julissa

i am a huge fan of chris brown and what recently happened with Rihanna, is extremely surprising. I would've never thought that he would do that. And i noticed he didnt say much and not that many answers were answered.And now that he's saying he's still loves Rihanna why would he hurt her? i still love and believe in Chris brown, but im still expecting anaswers, there's a reason why that happened that he's hiding it.

(Canada, Hamilton.)
    (14)

September 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Danielle

Let me start off by saying everyone...everyone...everyone makes mistakes! Was Chris Brown wrong for what he did? Absolutely...but now what he did is in the past and he needs to be left alone. He has suffered a considerable amount of embarrassment as a result of this incident. Yes, he brought it upon himself, but now so many people have decided to drag him in the ground. What if the skeletons in your closet were revealed? There are far more celebrities out here who have done similar or worse things, and their wrongs have been swept under the rug. Society picks and chooses who's faults they will put in the spotlight. Chris Brown still has fans and is still loved in spite of what he did. His amazing talent can't be taken away from him. He needs to learn from this mistake, not let it happen again, and move on with his life just as everyone else is entitled to. God is willing to forgive him, so why aren't we??

September 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. wendy

bottom line he is a woman beater he thinkws he di nothing wrong he was a role mdel now he is a very bad one do not buy anything he says he will beat woman again he still has anger when he talks about that night he blames her

September 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Youhou

Have we thought about the fact that Rihanna has hit him or slapp him. She seem to be pretty violent and fast to use her hand.

i am a woman and i know that certain can loose their cool when a woman slap them... i am afraid this is what happen.
    i agree that no man should hit any woman

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Isibor, P. Warri, Nigeria

I think Chris may be sincerely sorry for what he did to Rihana. He may have done that out of shear ignorance of what loving someone is. There are two distinct things here! Loving someone and beating someone. Rihana as well may have done something silly to Chris. If both of them love each other, they should go ahead and forgive each other and forget their differences and move on. It does happen in every relationship. No relationship or union is perfect. So, If Chris is sincerely sorry and wants her back, oop, Baby Rihana should forgive him and consider if both of them can go ahead.

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. rhiannon

chris had no reason to hit her he says he still loves her but y did he beat her she probably wont take him bak.......i no i wouldnt no man is gunna lay a hand on me

September 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Bero

I don't care how awful someone's childhood was, there is no excuse for hitting someone who is physically weaker than you. Another thing, no matter how sympathetic people appear to be towards battered women and no matter how much how much the psychologists say that it's not the fault of the woman, there is still the attitude (even among friends) that there is somthing wrong with the woman.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Jack, Montauk, NY

The first thing needed to stop this is to recognize that it is taught. His father abused his mother. His own sons will do the same if he continues to do this. AND change the name: it is assault and battery! there is nothing "domestic" about this! Treat it like the crime that it is, then we'll be headed in the right direction!

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. lg

Are you kidding me? The interview w larry king was a complete PR stunt. I do not buy that he can't remember the incident. His attire, having his mother and lawyer at the interview and denying any recollection make me deeply suspicious that this young man has learned anything. Claiming no memory is too convenient an outlet to not take true responsibility for his actions.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Gwendolyn

My Cousin's EX use to love it when he beat her . She would push him that point.Then I would hear her begging he to make love to her. HE might be protecting her so that the world will not know.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Brianna

Stop discriminating on him. He knows what he did and by people still putting him down thats not going to help him regain the self-esteem he needs. Chris Brown seems to be sorry and people need to try to help make the situation better then by being rude and making it worse.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Martin

Studies have shown that teen boys are more abused in relationships sexually, physicaly, and emotionally

September 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. rhiannon

chris had no reason to hit her and he will never do it again for the fact she might not want him bak.....i know i wouldnt

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. georgianna

September 2nd, 2009 10:37 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    i dont buy chris brown’s apology on larry king at all..his body language was not genuine....he didnt even say much in the interview and his words didnt seem sincere, hes basically an abuser n i would recommend serious help for him..his intentions on larry king was to save his career i guarantee he will be abusive again

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Megan J.

As a fan of chris brown, i am very dissapointed when he didn't say much when questioned. i feel we didnt get much answers of why he did what he did to Rihanna.

September 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Sharon

Just look at that scene in the ' Martin Lawerence movie,
    Thin Line Between Love and Hate. Christ Brown said, "When he first
    saw those pictures he was shocked! That is what my son said, and
    so was I when we went to court and the pictures was put up on
    the screen. Because, we saw the girl the day of and days after
    the incident. In fact , the day it happen, the police came to the
    door and said "the girl had one welt on her arm after he had
    examined her, but when the mother called them back she had
    deep holes all over her body! I mean deep, deep holes
    everywhere!

The pictures looked like someone and taken a spoon and dug
    out her flesh? How and when did one welt turn into over
    and dozen wounds oozing? She looked like she had been
    sprayed with scrapnel? When my son saw her months
    later, she said, Her mother had done it, because she
    thought my family had money! But, when she found
    out that my family is dirt, dirt poor! The mother backed
    off!

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  46. kamara

i dont buy chris brown's apology on larry king at all..his body language was not genuine..a..he didnt even say much in the interview and his words didnt seem sincere, hes basically an abuser n i would recommend serious help for him..

September 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Phyllis Payne

I believe Chris Brown is sorry for his actions, but he and Rihanna seem to bring out the worst in each other,if the past reports of her outbursts toward him are true. All the remorse he feels about the situation hopefully will be remembered for the next young lady he's with.Each needs to move on to healthier relationships.

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Maureen

If Brown did this to a stranger, he would be in jail. Our system stinks.

September 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Heather,ca

I think that Chris Browns problems are bigger than this one arrest. Many men and some women suffer from mental illness as the result of a cycle of domestic violence in their family. He could very easily suffer from a mood disorder, anger problems. Its not uncommon for someone who is violently abusive to have no memory of what they did. They just become enraged and have no memory of it. Ultimately he is embarrassed and knows his only way to make a income is to go public so that his audiencw feels confortable purchasing his music. But despite this at his young age, saying I'm sorry and I made a mistake is just lip service. He needs serious intense help. His anger and rage goes beyond just one persons face. It touches every relationship he has and all the decisions he makes in life.

He may love her. But he really doesn't know what love is. Healthy love. If she is smart and has surrounded herself with strong loving people she will realize he has to learn to handle life on his own. Its not her responsibility to make things ok for him.

I hope he gets the help he needs to really contribute to society and have real relationships.

I hope young men see that this not something you can just get over with by saying I'm sorry. Love doesn't hurt. Maybe he's codependent and misses her. Healthy adult love is mutual and respectful.

September 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  50. janinpenna

We don't hurt people we love.

September 2, 2009 at 5:15 pm |