September 1st, 2009
  1. crystal kniss

To Lorjorn,
    I agree with you 100%. Only a fool would ask why she never tried (if she didint) to escape. Its my understanding he told Jaycee that her parents didnt want her anymore. Jaycee is a victim. Of course she adapted somewhat to her situation. She was 11 for Gods sake!
    What choice did she have?
    People, tell your children that there are bad people out there who will lie and tell them that their parents said they didnt want them anymore. That they said "I can have you". As awful a subject as it is tell them that if anyone ever took them that you will look for them until you find them and that bad people lie. I have had this conversatgion with my young girls. it was uncomfortable and I hated doing it but it had to be said. I would never want my little girls to think that I didnt want them anymore because of some manipulating nut job. Get advise on how to have the conversation from a professional. This man is nothing less than a monster. He deserves to die in my book. Its time we did something about repeat offenders living outside of a perfectly good cage. We have to rise up and change the system. This is too much. It happens far to often and I am sick and tired of it. I am sick of being surrounded by sex offenders in my neighborhood. Once they assault a child they belong in jail for the rest of their lives no questions asked.
    What ridiculous serious of events took place to allow sex offenders to live in our neighborhoods people? Its time we took our neighborhoods back and hold the laws feet to the fire and not let up until they are all locked in cages forever.

September 1, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  2. crystal kniss

Mr. Cooper,
    I thought my head was going to explode last night when this moron said she didint like the way Philip is being portrayed as a monster. How you were able to get your words out so quickly when the entire viewing audience was sitting with their mouths hanging open is unbelieveable.
    I remember watching you interview the friends of someone, I think the BK killer and they were talking about what a good Boy Scout leader he was and you said " Thats like saying Hitler was such a good dancer." Same thing here.
    This woman obviously has not given any thought to this childs Mother crying herself to sleep every night,worring if her baby is dead or being tortured. Wondering if Jaycee is screaming and crying for her. The absolute horror it must have been to lose her little girl like that, I cannot even begin to fathom.
    He raped her little body repeatedly and this Molino woman gets on TV and tries to point out his good side. She made a complete fool of herself and told the world what an insensitive, simple mindeed fool she is. I hope one day the Mother of Jaycee gets a chance to face this woman. I hope she clobbers her repeatedly upside the head.

September 1, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

This was a confusing interview to say the least – this lady just seemed like she wanted to rant rather than answer any questions. Garrido's actions are not defensible but unless he's committed a murder that he gets convicted on I don't think he will be eligible for lethal injection??

September 1, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  4. Maria Q

Last week while on a business trip in Columbia, SC, I met three great american soldiers who were being deployed to Iraq. The soldiers were leaving for Iraq the same morning I was leaving for home. I decided I wanted to do something nice for these three soldiers and I took them to dinner so they could have a good meal before leaving. We ended up spending four hours together eating and talking. During these conversations I found out that soldiers who are fighting for our freedom do not have internet access and if they want it they have to pay $26.50 per week. Why are we as a country not providing our men and women who are fighting for our freedom and have the privileges we all enjoy because of their sacrifice with something so minor as internet service. It is hard enough for these men and women to be away from loved ones and put their life on the line for our country, don't you think this is the least we could do? As I sat down with these soldiers at dinner I heard stories from another soldier, a fourth one I took out with us, who had just returned from a tour in Iraq two weeks ago. He shared wonderful stories about progress in that country. I want to know why we don't hear more about that and not just about the killings. I also heard about how our soldiers are met many times by American protestors who are against the war. What I heard from these soldiers is that they need our support, not protest. I understand we have freedom of speech, but let me remind everyone out there that it is because of the sacrafices these soldiers make that they are able to hold up a sign to protest. Don't you think you need to show somet support so they can do their jobs knowing you care. I was born in a communist country and I know what it is like not to have rights and someone telling you every move you must make. I am honored to live in the United States of Ameica and for me it is a privilege to live in this great country. I may not always agree with everything that happens in Washington, but I can assure you that I will never speak ill of my country and the soldiers who defend it so I can have the freedom I enjoy. Maybe the protestors should go live in a communist country for a little while and see just how great those people live. I believe in freedom of expression, but there is a place and time for everything and people need to wake up and realize that no matter what our differences may be, let's wake up and support one another. There is good and bad in every race, culture and nationality. Learn about the difference and not just target people because of one bad apple. If we all do a little something it cam add up to big differences. If we don't care about our own, then who will. I am eternally grateful for the soldiers who die for us each and every day. I was greatly offended to hear these soldiers about how they feel when they see protestors with signs. The next time you pick up a sign against war, think about the reason why you are able to hold up that sign and instead of doing that why don't you try to do something positive for the soldiers who are making the ultimate sacrifice so you can be free and be who you are. I hope the news stations begin to report more on the postive aspects and how we as a nation can get involved to make a difference. Until we do this, our country will continue to move in the direction it is right now. I am working to make a difference and I hope others will do the same. We have many people in the world today who are trying, but we need more. Meeting these soldiers made a huge impact with me because those 4 hours I spent with them and the small gesture of a good meal meant a great deal to these young people who are making a huge sacriice so that I can have my freedom to do what I do every single day. I want to say THANK YOU to every soldier out there who unselfishly go to war so you and I can have a better, safer life.

September 1, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  5. lorjon

Anderson Cooper, this is why you are so no needed on television. To see clearly through people and their words. Your listening skills and keen intelligence make TV worth watching. You point blank questioned her when she said America had to realize that this man was not as as bad as he's being portrayed and that the little girls are okay. Yes, it's okay that your father actually kidnapped and then raped your mother at 11 and ended up having you, isn't it? That's normal?

This woman obviously was conned by Garrido too, just like everyone else he encountered in his sick twisted life. Just iImagine what such a master manipulator could do to an 11-year-old little girl who's under his control!

And this woman had the gall to keep insisting that the girls :"probably" lived in the "nice big" house. Even if they did, would she like her children to live with a molester and pervert in a "nice big" house?

And to say the daughters were fine to her eye - well, the two police officers, thank God, didn't think they were fine. That's why the whole thing came out in the open.

I think this woman has problems and maybe she just can't admit to herself that she was duped by this sicko all this time and that she might have let her own children near him. Were his two daughters born in a hospital? Did they ever get to see a doctor?

And for all those who say why didn't Jaycee try to escape in 18 years, do we know that she never tried? Don't assume anything here. She might have tried (at least at the beginning) and maybe, just maybe, that's what the cage in the back was for.

September 1, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  6. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, this woman’s demeanor was surreal to say the least. The way she talked, it almost sounds that deep down, she probably feels guilty for not having been observant enough to realize that there was something off or strange about Garrido, and that being as she was a friend she should have sensed something wasn’t right. Jaycee’s been on my mind a lot; I’m still shocked by what happened to her. She will always be in my prayers.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

September 1, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  7. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Wow Anderson, you really stopped that lady in her tracks. Way to go! Probably a good thing she wasn't in the same studio with you,huh? I was fair impressed! And she was sticking up for the creep! You certainly made her change her mind in a hurry. She was definitely flustered. I've met far too many insane adults like this one growing up! They need to be put to shame! Thanks!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

September 1, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  8. Stephanie

I think Phillip Garrido, once he is convicted, he should be the first to receive his lethal injection on National television. I would pay, and I'm sure others would to. So we could speed this process up. He is a sick twisted individual that does not need to waste our time, and money to keep him in our jail system, with his disgusting, offensive, and Satanist views. Who am I to keep him from meeting HIS God. I would pay to help him. I'm sure you would too. This is the true problem in our prison system, and we all know it. It’s time to empty out our death rows, and clean out our closets. We need to face reality! We can not afford to house this much evil to be unleashed on our society.

September 1, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  9. Cheryl P.

Mr. Cooper, I was glad to see you call out this woman during your interview with her. Ms. Molino sounded as if she felt sorry for the monster she calls a friend.
    She seemed to be defending him and may even put some blame on the young victims. Not only is Jaycee a victim but also his daughters and likely his wife. This man is master manipulator as most pedophiles are – he controlled everyone who lived in his house.

Thank you Anderson for not allowing this woman to defend such an animal.

September 1, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  10. lini

how a kidnapped girl of 11years of age got her self trained in to computer printing technology in her capitivity.how and where she learnt to do printing ?she was able to correspond with the clients through email The technology grew the 18 years only.something does fit well.why the hell she cant tell someone that she is here.

September 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  11. Heather,ca

This was really a strange interview to watch. The comments that she made were really odd. It seems to me she is just angry that she was a victim to. I don't understand why she keeps bringing up the point of wanting to know the conditions of inside the actual home. It doesn't matter. Its beside the point. He and his"wife" kidnapped a eleven year old girl and they kept her and he raped her. The big home and the condition it is in inside and even if they occassionally had access doesn't matter. I just don't understand her strange complaints. This guy and his wife are monsters. They have ruined lives forever.

September 1, 2009 at 12:03 pm |