September 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/1/09

In Southern California–where peak fire season hasn’t even officially begun yet–a huge and deadly wildfire continues to burn out of control tonight.

We’ll also have the latest on the Jaycee Lee Dugard kidnapping investigation. Officials believe at least two unsolved kidnappings may be linked to Phillip Garrido, the man charged with kidnapping and raping Dugard.

Tonight we’re launching a series of reports on the illegal sale of human organs. Our worldwide investigation has uncovered a thriving black market for human kidneys–right here in the United States.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Chuck Savage

Organ traffiking is horrible. There is no argument that it is good. We see stuff like this on TV but instead of saying, "Some people need money so it's all right." But what we should be asking is, "How we can help people from resorting to this?"

September 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Sandra Robertson, GA

I'm an organ donor, but only upon death, I hope.

September 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Jacqueline, NY

Organ harvesting... I wish I could remember the name of a book and its author from, I think 1996/97 that was about this type of thing. It was totally creepy. It is fiction written by a doctor. Another one I read around that time was by Palmer, I think, but he went even further, by telling a story of the rich investing in an hidden island that cloned organs and... anyway, let me look them up and get back to you all.

September 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Cynthia, NC

Organ trafficing....oh my goodness what an unbelievable story! Great job, Drew.

September 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Allison,Ca

Good evening all,
    Nancy Garrido is just as sick and messed up as her husband and needs the book thown at her.And did he have a first wife?

September 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Samantha

If it's MY kidney why shouldn't I be able to sell it? 1 out of 10 people who receive one is illicit? WOW I didn't know that. Doesn't that say something about the healthcare system here in the U.S.?

September 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. LorenaR

thank you for the interesting coverage of the kidneys for sale story. hard to believe that this could happen at such prestigious hospitals as Mt Sinai and the one in California.

September 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

It's a disturbing story. But on the other hand, if anyone wants to sell their kidney and risk their own life than they should have the right to do that. It's when people are kidnapped and get robbed of their kidneys when this story turns really ugly!

September 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Also good to say that you are an organ donor on your driver's license.

September 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Michael

Story [organ trafficking] blows my mind as well. Risking your life to "save" another life in the name of money? That is ridiculous. It simlpy shows how desperate people are–the receivers and the "givers"

September 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Gisselle - Houston, TX

Organ trafficking, *shrug* makes me think of that movie Tourists...there is a darker side to organ trafficking and I think is not people willingly selling their organs but actually being kidnapped and killed for that particular purpose (sad but true). I feel bad for the kid that sold his kidney, he probably did it against his will, coerced by an adult relative or someone, sad...

September 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  12. starr, formerly known as vincent

This transplant situation is conflicting. On one hand, you have people willing to make a lot of money from selling their organs. On the other hand, there are Not enough donors for people on the "list."

What is truly Unfortunate, is that people who really Need transplants can't get them, unless they have a lot of money.

Also, the donors, may be cheating themselves down the road, if Anything goes wrong and they need the organ that they sold.

September 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Lori

One out of ten is a high rate.

September 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Shamara, Belvidere, TN

Boy I'd sell one of my kidneys in a heart beat to pay off student loans. I'm student teaching right now, which is total free labor and I'm not allowed to work.

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Organ Harvesting.....

freaks me out...

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Chuck Savage

@ Chris Sosa.

Illegal organ trade is a bad thing. I know the movie "Turistas" was ridiculous, but I lived in Brazil, & it's very bad there. This is no joke.

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Curtis

What about organs from people who have diseases or irregularities? How can there not be a thorough screening that would preclude this type of thing from happening?–I don't care what the hospital official just said, 'we don't have the manpower or the ability' is not an excuse. Must we have penalties for hospitals that cover this activity?

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  18. tom

maybe they could have auctions on ebay

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

It seems like selling organs is a victimless crime. The 'donors' do so willingly, and the recipients get a new lease on life.

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Anthonia-California

Good-Evening Everyone 🙂

So, the donors are getting the money for each organ they donate? or does the organs cost a dollar? alittle confused...!

September 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Lori

How do they confirm that there is a chemical match between the donor and the recipient?

September 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  22. ericacnn

the organ trafficking story blows my mind. i can't help but think of those emails – said to be a hoax – about kidney stealing.

September 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Organ harvesting? Now that's different...

This is what happens when health/medical treatment becomes tied to capitalism.

September 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I certainly wouldn't let go of any body part for a mere $10,000. Those people got ripped off.

September 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Lori, IL

Cabo San Lucas is beautiful - hope it doesn't get destroyed by Hurrican Jimena -

September 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

what's sad is that the hurricane, will more than likely die out quickly, the Pacific Ocean is just too cold to inhibit a storm like this. Hopefully it's one of the rare occasions where it can sustain a hurricane

September 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

I remember waking up with ashes on my car when I lived in LA. Hope they will get the fires under control soon.

September 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary is a trooper, he is an expert at hurricane coverage.

Be careful Gary, as you know, those hurricanes are unpredictable!

September 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Time for ET to phone home and get the heck out of Dodge.

September 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Sara in Minneapolis

Oh no, I know a nice family in La Crescenta. Hope they don't lose their house.

September 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Wayne, Monroe, GA

Anderson, How close are these wild fires to the famed Hollywood Hills homes? Thanks....

September 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Sam

It's great y'all are shedding light on the illegal organ trade. it's probably not something people think about too often.

September 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Ana

Poor Gary Tuchman he's right in the middle of it.

September 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Yes, we are getting smoke in the pristine California Desert now. (More pollution from the L.A. basin.) It really saddens me when innocent animals die, especially when it's due to human intervention.

Anderson, thank you for pronouncing Tujunga appropriately.

September 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Paula, Colorado

There have already been too many wildfires in California. I don't think I've even heard what sparked this one. I hope they are able to contain it soon–it must be awful not to be able to do so more quickly.

September 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. LisaL - Canada

i think i am the only person i know who has never seen ET.
    the magnitude of the fires – 100K acres – for a naturally occurring event the force is amazing. feel for the animals – both domesticated and wild.

September 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Minou, New York City

Those "garden hose heroes" are putting the lives of fire fighter in danger. For that they should be fined...at least.

September 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  38. LorenaR

wow, the fires are visible from space and in Denver CO. i am sure the people protecting their homes wish they didn't have all this visibility! it is a very very long shot but people are hoping the tropical hurricane will come up and cool things off

September 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I really have to give credit for the pilots that are dropping water.

and the people who are staying at their homes, well....just to let them know, fire has it's own mind, it creates its own winds and makes it virtually impossible to predict its path.

September 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Lori

The Fire Department has also set back fires. Some of it is intentionally set to reduce the fuel load.

September 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Sabrina in Los Angeles

We cleared some brush in the front yard just in case they can't stop it at Mt. Wilson...that is the ridge to the left of us.

I have to be on set in the morning but might pack my car with my clothes, school supplies, laptop/printer, and violin just in case it becomes mandatory while I am at work.

Sadly, I have enough to fit in the car and have lived that way before.

I saw the big plane dropping water on Mr. Wilson today.

September 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Scott from LA

Nancy the wife... Give me a break her love is blind! How in the living world can an adult worman not understand the twisted relationship her sicko husband had with Jaycee, and kids to boot! Throw the book at her!

September 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

I think this country needs to get tougher with it's laws. People who do horrible things should never get out of prison in the first place.

September 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Misty

If Garrido's crime was commited in Nevada, why was he allowed to

take up residence in California?

September 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Garrido is those kids father. I could imagine the most difficult part for these kids will be accepting that their own father is a serial rapist who kidnaped and raped their mother repeatedly. Adjusting to a normal life seems like a piece of cake in comparison!

September 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I really hope Jaycee can move on with her life and her children. She deserves a second change. A new life!

September 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Lloyd , ns canada

I have to agree with Lisa A ,,, lets not make this guy famous , he is an animal !

September 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Garrido and his wife both look soulless.

September 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Stacy

We don't know what's going on in Jaycee's head. I'd really rather just have the facts in this case. I don't know why there has to be so much speculation.

September 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Letting a sex offender out seems like playing Russian roulette. Every sentence should be life without parole.

September 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |