August 31st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/31/09

We’re keeping a close eye on a fast-moving California wildfire that’s threatening thousands of homes and businesses outside Los Angeles—and has trapped five people who ignored evacuation orders.

And we now have a much clearer picture of what the last 18 years have been like for Jaycee Dugard, the young woman who was found last week 18 years after her kidnapping. Investigators are combing the secret backyard compound where Dugard was allegedly forced to live–and where she apparently gave birth to the two daughters her captor fathered. We’ll show you what investigators found inside the squalid makeshift compound of tents and sheds.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Stuart Cohen

If this guy Garrido earned a living from printing then where in the world were his printing presses, folders, drill presses, padding blocks, paper cutters. plate makers, etc. Where did he buy his paper. ink, plates and other supplies. He needed to have at least 45 – 60 customers or more just to earn a living in order to pay for his expenses. More than likely, he was probably a printing broker...in other words, he brokered his work with other printers in the surrounding area. However, many, many, people
    had to come in contact with this screwball.......Over 18 years, you mean to tell me that not a single person picked up on this persons personality quirks.

Something doesn't seem kosher here.

August 31, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Lynn

Can one get the H1N1 twice?

August 31, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Kathy

The release of the terriorist is shocking. However, it may serve a purpose. All of us who have Short Memories need to be reminded that our enemies are still around. We may not hear from them for years, but they are still there.

August 31, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  4. LisaL - Canada

that jaycee story is really mixed up. sounds almost like fact and fiction rolled into a creepy yet normal-sounding story. so many facts, yet so much that makes no sense in that story.

August 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Dr. Gupta,

Is it true that the swine flu virus spreads at a rate four times faster than the seasonal influenza virus?

August 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Rosanna

If you've had the H1N1 once, can you become infected again?

August 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I'm with Vicky! So if I get infected by one my students I'm going to be last on the list?!

August 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Kim

If you get the normal flu shot can you get the H1N1 shot if needed at a later date and is it safe?

August 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Protecting the vaccine companies from liability? that sounds scary.

August 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Micki

Hi Anderson – I have a pregnate daughter and 2 chronically ill grand children who are all getting the vaccine. I remember the 1976 flu vaccine and was a bust. I am really afraid for my daughter as she is a pharmacy tech – I told her to wear a mask NOW – what do you think – is it too soon to put on a mask? Thanks – you all ROCK !!

August 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Leslie- Charlotte NC

Hi Anderson....
    I just want to say that what has happened to these girls is the ugliest story something out of a horror movie !! And my prayers go out to the the girls and there biological family. But do have to add that Is it safe to say that the mother of Jaycee-Lee , Mrs. Duguard can sue the state of California and or the police department for her pain and suffering for eightteen yerars because it was indicated that Garrido parole officer was informed that there was children in the back yard and he was a registered sex offender .

August 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

had that experience before, but I was stuck on a charter bus with a temp of 104. In the middle of no where, I'd rather get the vaccine than experience that again.

August 31, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Melissa-Erie,Pa

Even as a nurse...I do NOT plan on getting the swine flu vaccine.

August 31, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Kathy Chicago

I have never had to get a flu shot before. I will ask again this year about both shots.

August 31, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Here in Brazil the school delayed the return from vacation for a month due to flu. Now everyone is taking classes on Saturdays.

And in the entrance of schools and kindergartens there is alcohol gel.

August 31, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Diann - Indiana

No one has said anything about the education of Jaycee or her children. How is it that she is a graphic designer and seems so intelligent to the people her abductor dealth with in business? Did he have a printing background at sometime? Who taught Jaycee? Too many questions and not enough answers. A terrible animal to have been released from prison in the first place.

August 31, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So the vaccine isn't ready on time, government health care preview?

August 31, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I hate getting vaccinated. They tell me i won't get sick because it's synthetic but i always get sick. So I stopped taking the vaccinations. So, are active healthy 36 y/o in danger?

August 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Lori, IL

@Anderson — good job of trying to clear up just what the woman was saying in your interview. She was kind of confusing, but I thought through your questioning it became clearer what she was trying to convey. I'm sure a lot of people are now feeling guilty when they look back and think they maybe could have done something to help Jaycee earlier.

August 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

How could it be made to believe that was MJ just antoher conspiracy theory gone wrong .

August 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Kathy Chicago

Hm, I asked my son about the KU outbreak and he said it was mostly in the Greek housing. I will ask him again to be careful.

August 31, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Judith Burton

My heart goes out to Jaycee. It is amazing that she had the strength and determination to survive this ordeal as a child herself; even bore children in such conditions. Her mother's heart must be broken all over again to imagine what her daughter suffered.

August 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Caroline, Los Angeles

I have to go feed my son. G'night everyone.

August 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hate to say this, but I think a lot of this swine flu scare has been instigated by the pharmaceutical companies.

August 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I'm so worried bout the swine flu cause I work in a school with wealthy kids who get's to travel everytime they can and if one gets infected... the rest of the class will!

August 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont-

One of my friends was 5 blocks from the evacuation area. My brother's house is in Tujunga but it's not very close to the hills. And I just found out today that a friend from high school has parents who owned a home up in the canyons. It burned down.

People are very anxious here. Understandably. the fire is far way from the most populous areas but we are all tired of the smoke and hearing of losses.

August 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Kim

Re: Garrido case. I hope they thoroughly investigate the officer who went to the Garrido house on the 911 call. Neighbors report that there were bon fires w/ Garrido & his friends. It's possible that others were in on this, perhaps Police Officers b/c it boggles my mind that this sex offender could get away w/ parading those kids and Jaycee around this small community for 18 yrs & no one knew. Refuse to believe that.

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Tens of thousands die from flu every year. Is this strain any more deadly or is it all hype?

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson
    Thanks for not letting the woman get away with defending the kidnapper ,it 's not fair for Jaycee and what happened to her .

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Minou, New York City

I hope it won't hit my college. I can't afford to get sick...literally!

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

@JJ

I completely agree, Disney would *Ruin* Marvel.....

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Teresa, OH

@Minou: re: "I don’t trust vaccines that haven’t been extensively tested for years!" You're smart : ) I think the research/ development on this new swine flu shot came about too quick.

Oft times I wonder if the people "discovering" the cures, arent the same ones distributing the germs.

August 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

QUESTION for Dr. Gupta

Is it two vaccines? and if so, when does the vaccination take effect? is it after both vaccines? what are potential side-effects.

Also, can you clarify which age groups are more in danger if they get H1N1.

August 31, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. David, Indiana

Those fires in California look like a hellish inferno. I heard today that that area had not had a fire in several years, was it six years or longer anyone know? and so there's plenty of growth of chapparral in that area. Given the smoke, lack of wind, and fire spreading in every direction I hope people heed the emergency warnings and evacuate.
    Very sorry to hear about the two firefighters, just the terrain itself is dangerous. My thoughts and prayers are with their family and friends.

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Susan - Minneapolis, MN

I think the woman was trying to defend the people that knew the Garidos. There has been a lot said about how come the people around them didn't realize something was wrong. She was saying that the family seemed normal and that there weren't indications that the children were being mistreated and certainly not hidden (the fact that Jaycee's face was on the business cards).

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Lori

I heard over 40,000 acres have burned.

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

I'm not sure if I'll get the swine flu shot or not. I'm tending towards 'no'. There are other high-risk people who need it worse. I am not high risk and I have no close family who are. I'm also afraid that this vaccine is being rushed to market and I worry about the long-term safety.

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The fires seem to happen all the time in California what are they doing to stop the fires from spreading into home areas . i feel for them .

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Bertin Evina-Ze

All sex offendors should be constantly investigated, just like they do prisoners rooms. Their homes must be searched at all time.

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Camille, AZ

yeah, my step-dad's Brother lives in Los Vegas. He said you can see all the smoke from his house.

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Jacqueline, NY

@ Erica: "hope you all had a restful weekend."

Haven't you heard? There is 'no rest for the weary'.

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Pam - San Diego, CA

I remember the fire here in San Diego 3 years ago. I was driving down the street and you could see hugh smoke clouds. Everyone was coughing at work because of the smoke.

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

If it's a mandatory evacuation and you choose to stay even though you have a way out, they should leave you there. It's what you wanted. Why risk others lives for your stubbornness?

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

local news peeps had an unscientific poll about swine flu, and over 50% of those voted said they refuse to get the vaccination.

And that was before there was the possibility of it being dangerous.

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Natalie

Obviously that wasn't Michael popping out. It was Elvis!

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Heather - Spokane, WA

How expensive is the H1N1 shot going to be?

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

Sure, and Elvis Presley never died, either...

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Ligia, San Jose/CA

@ Antonia...

and now they say we are going to have a hurricane??? oh my!!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Kathy Chicago

I try to be a forgiving and compassionate person, but the release of the person behind the airline bombing for oil and political reasons would be really sketchy.

August 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. starr, formerly known as vincent

The story about the Lybian terrorist is exactly what most of us already knew....it was part of a trade deal!

Britain should hand it's head in shame.

Excellent report by Tom Foreman!

August 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |