August 31st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/31/09

We’re keeping a close eye on a fast-moving California wildfire that’s threatening thousands of homes and businesses outside Los Angeles—and has trapped five people who ignored evacuation orders.

And we now have a much clearer picture of what the last 18 years have been like for Jaycee Dugard, the young woman who was found last week 18 years after her kidnapping. Investigators are combing the secret backyard compound where Dugard was allegedly forced to live–and where she apparently gave birth to the two daughters her captor fathered. We’ll show you what investigators found inside the squalid makeshift compound of tents and sheds.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. carolyn

Why would anyone let a terrorist bomber out of prison on the circumstance of eminate death? How much easier for him to kill again.

August 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What type of message does this send to would be terrorists that Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi was released and given a hero's welcome?

August 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The Pan Am bomber is faking it to get off scott free it's an outrage.

August 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Caroline, Los Angeles

Minou-–Yes. We love our firefighters here too. It is just amazing what they do to save homes and lives out here. The governor said they are the best trained in the nation and I have to agree with him on that.

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Ligia, San Jose/CA

California is NOT a hurricane place... we do have wildfires, drought, and very occasionally earthquakes...

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Natalie

This terrorist deal seems so shady. It seems like another one of those "he said she said" situations. But releasing him for compassion seems off. He killed 200+ people, he doesn't deserve compassion.

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Wish I could be shocked at the allegations regarding the freed bomber, but I wouldn't be a bit if these rumors are true.

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Jihan

Sex offenders should never be out of prison they disorve to rotten in Jail. I don't see how the system lets them into the society. sex offenders always repeat there disgusting behavior they should not see daylight ever

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. JJ

Marvel MUST NOT sell to Ddisney, The Marvel characers will be dummed down SAY IT AIN'T SO MARVEL!

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica

Parks such as Universal and Island of Adventure, will continue using the Marvel characters?

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. patti anfibolo

It is so unfortunate that this little girl had to go through a life that she did with this monster. There is one thing for sure, he can lie to anyone in court and say whatever he wants, to defend himself, but he still has that one day that he will have to answer to the lord up above – he will be the judge.

August 31, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Richard

I don't understand how Jaycee gave birth to the children and questions were not asked about who was the father of the children at the hospital or by whoever assisted in the births? Were there birth certificates? Do we know where the children were born?

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Deb

My stomach hurts every time I hear anything about this story. It is too horrific and unbelieveable for words. How many more missing women and children like these three are out there who are alive!

Please....law enforcement–do your job when you get a report, don't think civilian feedback is not worth your time to fully investigate. Chid protective services...do your job–look at these children as if they were your own. Neighbors...do your community duty–report any unsuspicious behavior no matter how insignificant you may think it is...and then follow up to be sure your report was acted on–get names and dates of person/s it was assigned to.

We cannot remove all the sick minds out there from off the streets, perhaps, but we have the good and improving laws (How about a "Jaycee's Law" in the future?), and we can each do our duty to make sure we are not individually guilty of missing a chance to help someone like Jaycee and her children who waited in vain for rescue.

Love your neighbor as yourself, do for others as you would have them do for you.

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Angelica Sterling

Why are we not seeing pictures of the inside living conditions of the excusers home? All we see are the outside living conditions, and there is a bed, in one of the tents full of junk where were the three sleeping? If they were so groomed, they would have had to be spending time in the home.

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Monica M. Williams

I can't believe none of Dugard's neighbors filed a complaint in regards to the backyard. It's horrendous.

Secondly, Jaycee had 2 kids. How was their paternity filed? Meaning the hospital never questioned the births of a then teenager. She obviously had no money of her own. Was Jaycee on Dugards medical plan? Was Dugard living on assistance? There had to have been questionable medical bills floating around somewhere? If not, this man was able to beat the system and dupe a lot of people.

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Ngoc Thao Nguyen

hi everyone. my first time joining the live blog tonight. so sad what's happening in california regarding those affected by the wildfires. we should keep them in our prayers.

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The swine flu is just like regular flu is the flu vaccine different from the flu shot and how can it help you better than the regular flu shot ?

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something, because I am actually trying to multi-task while blogging. But, from I was hearing, the women was asked to tell what she heard and seen. I'm I right so far? And she then proceeded to do so. I didn't hear her making excuses for the creeps. But again, I did not give the interview my full attention. But it does sound as if Ms Molino is being made out to be the bad guy now. Hmm, that could be a reason why most people do not won't to get involved. You think?

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Deb Windell

That woman is so wrong.....Of course they are going to look normal....the mom was raped at 11-12-13-14-1-etc. Please give them a break and try not to show the pics and let them try to get through this and become a true family...If this man has such a great story–then I believe that the little girl wiht 2 children should give hers first to a woman that has been there before....my prayers are with the family.....

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Christine

I am amazed that the Department of Corrections has the audacity to claim they did a great job. The people of this country and the state of California should be outraged at this claim and should voice their concerns that their tax money is paying for a bunch of incompetent parole officers who pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Robin

What i'm wondering here is did the girls believe the whole time Jaycee was their sister? An interview with a neighbor said the 11 year old said to her, "I also have a 28 year old sister"......

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Dulcie - Denver

It also seemed as if Ms. Molina was implying that the girls didn't have it as bad as the media implies. Which... what? They were born of rape in captivity! I also wonder if the creep molested them as well. Wouldn't surprise me. The thought makes me ill.

23. Maria, Atl. GA

Anderson, I think that we should take the opportunity while this is happening to send out a message, to any other child or individual who may be in the same situation to come forward that there is help love you Anderson keep doing what you do.

24. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

@Ligia- I totally agree! no good news coming from california!

August 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I don't believe for a moment that the Pan Am bomber is sick.....

26. Jean

Anderson, there are sooooo many questions that haven't even been addressed about this case. If this monster had the girls picture on business cards, wouldn't someone perhaps recognize her? And where did the poor girl deliver her two children?? Was there a Doctor?? I hope the younger girls haven't been molested by this monster.. Thanks for your great reporting Anderson, God Bless.

27. victoria from Arizona

I cry for her. Even things we don't thnk about like if she had to deliver her babies in that tent. I just want to hug her and cry for her.

28. Pam

I want to know if anyone (police, family) has thought to ask Jaycee if these two girls are the only children she bore. This man molested girls and would have had no use for a boy. Could she have had other children (baby boys) in all these years of being raped and abused and perhaps her kidnapper or his wife told her these other babies had died? In 18 years of abuse it is hard to believe she would only have had two children and also did he abuse their daughters? They are the same age as she when he took her. These are questions that need to be asked and answered and if they have been asked and asnwered, are those the bodies the police are now looking for buried in the back yards they are digging up? These kidnappers should never see the light of day again, husband and wife are equally guilty here. My prayers will be with Jaycee and her children.

29. Niwat, Chicago

@ Mr Cooper, she sounded a bit confused,the explanation she gave in the interview was based on mutual respect that she developed with her kidnapper, but still that doesn't justify what he did wasn't crime.

30. Nancy in South Carolina

I believe the two officers who suspected something was wrong where
    able to do so because they are women. You might want to call it "mothers'instinct" even if they are not mothers themselves. They both
    said they had a gut feeling.Sometimes men just don't have that intuition.

31. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Caroline in L.A. hope all is well .Is your area affected by the fires ?

32. Caroline, Los Angeles

Re: Fire. Today the local story was that 5 people stayed behind in Little Tujunga Canyon instead of evacuating. One of them was so cocky that he called the local radio news stations and did interviews as he was waiting to see if the fire came up his canyon.

All I could think was that these people have obviously never seen a wildfire before. I went to watch the one that burned Griffith Park about 2 years ago. I was standing far away with a group of people and even 1,000+ yards away I could feel the strong heat of the flames. The flames were 3 stories high.

I hope those 5 people survive but they are doing a stupid thing.

33. NICK BISHOP, CA

i sill havent heard what the scope of area has been burned. Anderson asked but what areas and what about MT WILSON

34. caroline aguirre

As a retired parole agent ( State of California ) the California Department of Adult Parole Operations made very serious errors on this case. The best thing that could take place now is to terminate the employment of Acting Director of Parole Mr.Robert Ambroselli immediately. There needs to be a major investigation and the investigation should be done by an agency not associated with any California State Agency or Department. No more Code of Silence.

August 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Bill

Why was he released from prison after 10 years when he was sentenced to 50 years? On Larry King the official said he was released because he had served his sentence.

August 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Dave

I for one will not take the swine flu shot, as I do not think sufficient time has passed allowing it to be fully developed and tested.

August 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Sharon, Fl

Good Evening, Anderson. You were right on target, the woman you were interviewing regarding the girls being at a birthday party, was defending Garrido. As if, having clean hair and clean clothes means anything. They were living with a deranged person and no one knows what they have had to endure behind closed doors. Kudos to the woman who broke the case! Great job!

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Alica-Ontario Canada

For all we know that could have been their play fort back there ...& they really lived in the hous..isnt anyone curious??

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

So my mom's 67, so that means she'd be less likely to get infected with H1N1, but she teaches 2nd graders, who are more likely to get infected, so is she a priority to get the vaccination?

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

California is having bad luck with economy and wildfires it's not good.The firefighters are so brave they are heroes for sure .

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

My best wishes go to the families of the wildfire fighters who lost their lives fighting the fire. My God be with their families.

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The uncontrolled fire is so scary! It makes me worried about getting the people there

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

I'm not going to get vaccinated. I don't trust vaccines that haven't been extensively tested for years!

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, If this woman is an example of the type of people that live in the neighborhood no wonder Garrido's crimes went unnoticed for so long.

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Joe Luke

People close to the kidnap scene such as your earlier guest Yvonne (sp) are exactly why she was never discovered. That lady made me sick as she DEFENDED that criminal. Yikes.

August 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Pam

Excellent story Anderson. I learned more from you than anyother news person.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Stancey

I have heard that the lady is evil and as guilty as he is. Could it be possible that she is also a victim? I want to har more about her. Could she be a Stockholm Syndrome victim as well? Just curious...

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Hi Anderson. I am appalled at what was allowed to happen to that poor girl. But lack of "good" police work seems to be the norm in some of our little towns. I come from a very abusive background myself. My Father was quite abusive and my Mother was extremely passive about it. I can remember the neighbors calling the police to our home many times. The police would come and ask if everything was alright. An officer would at some point come to the kids, that's me, bedrooms and shine a flashlight on us. Their way of just checking I guess. It always scared us even more than we already were. We were never asked how we were or really any questions at all. The police never actually did anything about what was going on. Some of us kids tried to get something done but Mother always put a stop to that. Basically she said we were lying. Mother and Father have both passed on now so I guess one would say it's definitely over. That's my story and I'm pretty sure there are lots more like it.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Sibyl

You and me both.I don't think no one understood her.I just want to say on behalf of the victims,maybe he would treaten the girls when they went out.He may of told them he would kill their mother or tell the mother he would kill her daughters if they said something. its easy to ask why when you are not the victim.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Sandra

I wonder if Jaycee had other kids and maybe they die at birth. If garrido kidnapped other girls and killed them why not jaycee, what made him keep her for years. What goes throught the mind of his sick wife that help me kidnapped Jaycee.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |