August 31st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/31/09

We’re keeping a close eye on a fast-moving California wildfire that’s threatening thousands of homes and businesses outside Los Angeles—and has trapped five people who ignored evacuation orders.

And we now have a much clearer picture of what the last 18 years have been like for Jaycee Dugard, the young woman who was found last week 18 years after her kidnapping. Investigators are combing the secret backyard compound where Dugard was allegedly forced to live–and where she apparently gave birth to the two daughters her captor fathered. We’ll show you what investigators found inside the squalid makeshift compound of tents and sheds.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. victorias from AZ

Cant image the horrible life that girl endured. Did she have to have her babies in the tent? Can you imagine? So hearbreaking...I just ache for that poor girl.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Those are some tough guys!

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

The swine flu has been around long enough now that I actually know people and families who have had it. They say that 2 in the family had it, the other 2 never did get it. It lasted a few days and was like a regular flu. They recovered with no problems. I know that is not the case for some who are more high risk, but the ones I know about had no problems.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I hope the wildfires get put out i pray for the people and families who live there .

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Terri

I'm with you about the Molino woman. Even though she said she wasn't defending Dugard and his wife, she was. Remember the comment about the police wanted to blame him for other missing girls and murders in the area. You know he probably did it. I would like to know more about the wife too, she looks as crazy as he is.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. melissa

WOW. Is all i have to say for the little girl who got kidnapped this is a sick act of crime that this man has done to this women i hope he pays for the rest of his life.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Stacy

@Anderson, that's how I took the interview too. She seemed oddly fixated on the perception of how the girls' lived. But does it matter overall? If Jaycee and daughters spent a lot of time inside, does that make her any less kidnapped and raped? Bizarre.

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Adam

This case just makes me sick to my stomach, to think what he did to those girls and what was he planning on doing at Berkley another victim perhaps? only god knows

August 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

We don't know what the cop who went to his house was told. The dispatcher may not have given him the whole story, so he may not have known what to look for.

10. Linda Klaus

Didn't anyone see this man buying children's clothes over the years?? Especially girls? Or extra food and toys?? Baby clothes?? Come on, how did people miss this creep??? Hopefully now if someone has a sketchy neighbor, people will be more of what is going on there, especially if there are strange buildings or weird activity... It's so scary that noone can totally be trusted anymore.... This is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. The girls picture was on his business card for ten years a lady said..... Soo sad....

11. Gary McDowall

The parole Officer should have noticed that he could not see into the backyard, which should also raise suspicions. He did not ever contact neighbors or leave his business card with the neighbors so they would know who to contact if they saw anything suspicious.

I had a Serious Offender Caseload in Ca. Intensive supervision usually means intensive investigation techniques and working with the public.

12. Natalie

@ Anderson
    I agree completely. It seemed like she was making excuses on his behalf by saying he 'wasn't as bad as it seemed'. And just by saying 'I'm not defending him' doesn't mean that you aren't debating his side. She sounded confused as what she was trying to say.

August 31, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Disney should NOT buy Marvel......

14. MzsEm

Anderson, earlier today CNN had a doctor on who was speaking about the difference between this situation and Stokholm Syndrome. He spoke about more research on child abuse in general and why children stay in natural families under these same horrible conditions. I would love to hear more from him. Why don't children tell, why don't they ask for help...we just got to do better for our children in this area. Please have him on for more conversation.

15. Doris

As a First Responder and someone who has lost everything in a fire, I still do not understand why people stay when they are told to evacuate. It's just stuff in the end. I know from first hand experience on both ends!

16. Joe Cormier - Kitchener On Canada

Erica thank you for making sense!

17. Aarti

This story is truly heartbreaking but what is even more devastating about it is that our law enforcement did such a terrible job keeping this man in check. Is is sad to see that our criminal justice system is so flawed and can allow for someone like to him repeat such a vicious crime. My heart goes our to the family and hopefully Jaycee and her children will be able to live a normal life. I also hope that parole and police officers will take a lesson out of this tragedy.

18. starr, formerly known as vincent

This station fire is truly frightening!

Does anyone know what happend to the 5 people who are trapped in the fire (having refused to leave?)

The reporter made an excellent point, Mandatory evacuation is just that, Mandatory. People who don't listen, often put the professionals in danger trying to rescue them.

Still, i hope those people are okay.

19. Jerome

if Shavon is really close to this family, how come she didnt notice something going on or anything wrong.
    having clean hair and wearing clean clothes does not conclude the absence of abuse. has she been inside the house? the backyard?her statements totally unacceptable.

August 31, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

because of swine flu I am not looking forward to go back to class. Especially when my friend logged on to Facebook and said she was in the hospital with the flu.....

College keeps getting scarier and scarier.... 🙁

21. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

So wait a minute... California it's on fire and now a hurricane is on it's way?!

22. jo murphy

we need to all learn from this story. if we suspect, investigate. if you feel you have not been listened to, push. better to be a nosey neighbor than to let a child suffer

23. barb

Obviously the parole office didn't fully check out his home or this would have been discovered many years ago.

24. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Anderson and Erica
    Bloggers haven't blogged in a while on live blog
    I can't understand how poeple neighbours didn't know what was happenning and hoew the girl stayed there all that time .

25. Kishore Reddipeta

Anderson, Firefighters fighting the fire in the frontlines risking their lives, are truly amazing and are true heroes,hats off to them. It was sad to hear we lost two fire fighters in the line of fire.

26. Agnes

The Jaycee Duggard story is so disturbing. I have a six year old daughter and will never let her out of my sight.

Law enforcement dropped the ball and let her suffer for 18 years! We definitely need better training for local cops instead of beating up people they pull over on the highway!

27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can understand why people want to stay behind, but it isn't right for them to put the lives of the firefighters in danger because of their choice.

28. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

She was trying to say that life was not as terrible for these victims as the press is making it out to sound. But how? The girl was taken from the safety of your family!

August 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  29. nina

who delivered jaycees children ? ? ?

this is crazy -all these years and all the police were worried about their selves
    police brutality and gettin a pay check

allpolice dept. need to reavaluate
    the officers they have in there force –not all officers should be an officer

August 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. chris in NJ

i think the focus should be on the rcovery and re-discovery of the 3 girls and their family.

also...Stockholm syndrome is an expression, flippant.....differant in everycase, and every person...partially existing...or not at all..

August 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I think she was just generally unstable, Erica.

August 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Minou, New York City

I find it hard to endure when fire fighters die. So brave and selfless! My heart goes out to the ones they've left behind.

33. Jacqueline, NY

@Anderson: "thanks for joining us everyone.. sorry im late… not sure about that last interview.. im not sure what the guest was trying to say exactly."

My belief is that she was agreeing with fact that this man and his wife are monsters. HOWEVER, we as a society and the media should not get thrown off by the police who will no doubt try and cover for themselves and pull the wool over our eyes by building up on the those two monsters behavior. But I could be wrong.

34. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I feel so bad for the state of California with those wildfire! I hope they can stop it!

35. ericacnn

it also seemed at one point she was more upset about his business practices... i couldn't follow her fully

36. Adrienne

Hi everyone.
    I haven't had much of a chance to catch up on news this past weekend so I'm taking Jaycee's story in all at once. It's a horrifying and very sad case and I hope she is able to put her life back together.

As to the last interview, I think she was trying to use her air time to express a disappointment with the police investigation, and how their lack of communication (in her opinion) with what they are finding might have to do with their poor response to the whole situation (with the 911 call etc)

37. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Man, that wild fire in Southern Cali looks like the end of the world!

August 31, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

This wildfire gives me bad memories. Why is something that is so pretty when in a controlled environment be so disgusting like the wildfires we see?

39. Dulcie - Denver

Meh, as someone who's camped for a good part of my life, it's totally possible to have clean hair even if you have to wash it in cold water outside. Not to mention that the guy wasn't a complete idiot. It'd be a huge red flag to take unkept kids out in public.

40. Lori, IL

@Anderson - good job of trying to clear up just what the woman was saying in your interview. She was kind of confusing, but through your questioning it became clearer what she was trying to convey.

41. Nancy

Is it unusual for someone to be both a rapist and a pedophile?

42. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

No one has mentioned it and I keep looking/asking, but why wouldn't this beast rape his own children? There are three victims alive. All they've ever known was this this abuse, i agree, to them it was normal. These girls have so much to adjust to.

43. Lori

Fire is a natural part of the environment of southern California.

44. Jihan

This is so sad. I just don't understand how he could get away with this for 18 years! This is the the saddest story I have ever encountered,my heart and prayers go out to the family and Jayce and her two daughters now.

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

This uncontrolled fire is so scary! It makes me worried about getting the people there... one friend in particular!

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. moeed m

I think he needs to undergo an intense psychological assessment to see if he really has some issues.

As Anderson said, he is crafty, so it makes me think that his 'eccentric' behavior may just be a cover.

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Tim

The women made a good point in here efforts to protect those young girls. You might have cut her off .....

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Ligia, San Jose/CA

awww... so many sad news from the California!!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

When someone is on parole how closely are they supposed to be watched? I thought they had to report everything to their parole officer.

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Steve

I can't believe this kid napper got out of prison for rapping and kidnapping the other women that was on Larry King Live. That shows how messed up out system really is. They will let any body out for no reason. He should have got life then.

August 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm |