August 31st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/31/09

We’re keeping a close eye on a fast-moving California wildfire that’s threatening thousands of homes and businesses outside Los Angeles—and has trapped five people who ignored evacuation orders.

And we now have a much clearer picture of what the last 18 years have been like for Jaycee Dugard, the young woman who was found last week 18 years after her kidnapping. Investigators are combing the secret backyard compound where Dugard was allegedly forced to live–and where she apparently gave birth to the two daughters her captor fathered. We’ll show you what investigators found inside the squalid makeshift compound of tents and sheds.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Good evening Erica! It is an outrageous story, almost incredible!

August 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Maria

I am still in shock with this story about this Garrito (kidnapper / rapist). I feel that this man should be punished over and beyond punishment. This is a story beyond belief. He should not be allowed to live, after what he has done to that poor girl and fathering 2 children. Unfortunately, it hinders me to think though, that those two children only know Garrito as a Father. What relationship has this man had with his two daughters and does he have any other child?

August 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Angela

Who was that woman defending and downplaying that monster that kidnapped an 11 year old and held her captive for 18 years? She needs therapy also – what a monster herself!

August 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. rhonda

America needs more mental health courts and facilities in dealing with sick individuals.

August 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Camille, AZ

hi erica!!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. andersoncnn

thanks for joining us everyone.. sorry im late... not sure about that last interview.. im not sure what the guest was trying to say exactly.

August 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I think that the lady just on, was trying to explain that the girls & their mother appeared clean and taken care of. She opendly admitted that the man was strange.

I'm also glad that she pointed out how badly the local police handled this crime!

August 31, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Alica-Ontario Canada

yeah why haven;t they should us the house yet!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Stacy

Well, that was a weird interview. I still don't really understand what she was trying to say.

August 31, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. ericacnn

hi, everyone. hope you all had a restful weekend.

the more i learn about this situation, the more disturbing it becomes.

August 31, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Melanie

Hi Anderson. I am from South Lake Tahoe and we are all mind-boggled here, wondering why the police did not investigate local sex-offenders in 1991, in this area. Since Garrido had kidnapped and raped a woman from South Lake Tahoe (Katie Hall), wouldn't it have been easy to find more information about this disgusting man and look into a possible connection with Jaycee Lee? Jaycee's abduction should have been solved many, many years ago.

August 31, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Caroline, Los Angeles

LMU is very, very far away from the fire. She'll be fine.

August 31, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Steve

If I lived next door to this freak, and had any ideas that something didn't look right, I would have jumped the fence and looked for my self to see what was in the backyard. I think this guy should be hung.

August 31, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Sometimes it is difficult to accept that a person close erred as barbaric, but when the reality is so brute, it is necessary!

August 31, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

I'd like to know more about the wife and her actions.

August 31, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Wow. "not such a monster"? Really? Because he kept his victims clean and even if he let them live in a mansion, he was raping them and stole their innocence. He's beyond a monster.

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Gady--If you want to do something for us (thank you) you can pray for rain.

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. JJ

Jaycee Duggard,
    Elisabeth Smart
    Elisabeth Fritzl

What do these cases have in common? An enabler who happens to be female, usually the wives of these men. These wives are also female predators. We tend to watch men as the ones committing the crime; however these woean choosing to be with these men are just as guilty.

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Jacqueline, NY

Re: MJ, What!!!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Donna Gale

I think the most important thing that we can all take from this horrific event is that each and every one of us needs to be more in tune and vigilant about what is happening around us. We absolutely must get involved! If ever we see something that does not look or feel right to us we need to ACT and act quickly! There simply can be no more turning a blind eye to something we see, feel or even think is not ok!

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Correct me if I'm wrong... Did I hear "Michael Jackson alive"?

August 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  22. linda

Hasn't anyone else wondered where the children were born, who delivered them, etc. born outside in the yard, hospital? That is pretty amazing and scarry.

August 31, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. A moving and inspiring weekend.

This is a confusing case. I wonder why she didn't call someone at some pt to rescue her, but she may have been scared of and intimidated by Philip Garrido. Did she do all the graphic work for his printing business as a way to get some control over the situation?

Here picture was all over her business cards for 10 years? How come the police didn't notice that?

August 31, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  24. Carole R.

Has Dugard's captor been wearing his GPS ankle braclet for the 20 years he has been on parole? If so, perhaps it has been placed too low on his body.

August 31, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Julie - Boston

Freaky...How do these things happen in our back yards?

August 31, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Caroline, Los Angeles

Who cares what the inside of the house looks like? It's what he did to Jaycee and the girls there that matters.

August 31, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  27. Dulcie - Denver

Is Ms. Molino trying to defend him or what? I don't understand. How can she try to make him not a monster?

August 31, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I thought I had heard that Garrido was a pedophile? Even so, if he was a violent criminal and the authorities saw him with young children they should have investigated it.

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Somehow or other, in all these years, this kidnapper has justified and rationalized the kidnaping of Jaycee. There has been some reason, in their minds, why this was OK to perpetuate all of these years.

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Amber

This whole story shocks me, especially since I have a little girl. I am even more shocked that people are reiterating that he was "nice" guy and that the girls were in good condition. The fact is he took this girl from her family and has held her captive for 18 years. I believe Cheyvonne is trying to subside the realities of what this man has done. There is no hiding his insanities. May God restore what has been stolen from Jaycee and her daughters.....

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  31. kirk gray

the black woman. hair stylist on your show seems to forget why they the girls are even here they were born from two cases of rape. I am a single black father if someone does this to my child they would die by my hands period

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Greg

I would like to know how many times Jaycee was pregnant and if Garrido may have killed male children.

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

How can she defend this monster?

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

Oh wow-–Cheyvonne sounds like she's been taken in by Garrido a bit too.

Thank you for calling her on that Anderson.

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Eileen

I'm curious of how Jaycee and her children felt leaving their captivity. Was Jaycee eager to identify herself to the authorities?

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Scary deal about LA County. My friend just left for college to go down to LMU two days before the county exploded in fires. It's horrid to see people's homes flame up....

August 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

What's wrong with this lady defending this man?! I mean! Are you serious!!

August 31, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  38. Lori

Go Anderson!

August 31, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Caroline, Los Angeles

I do agree with the guest on the lack of good police work in Garrido's town.

August 31, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  40. Kathy

Good Evening.

I saw it's time we forget about human rights with perverts like this guy. I believe in execution, and an eye for a eye.

August 31, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  41. Phyllis in Missouri

Hello Mr. Cooper:

I am wondering: one of the female college officers stated she had an apointment to get to and initially asked the sick monster to come back the next day to talk to her about the event he wanted to schedule on campus. . . . would she have actually have let him go on his merry way and suspect he "might" actually come back the next day?????

Thank you for your work in researching news.

August 31, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  42. anna

not much has been said about garridos wife. where was she all this time,

August 31, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

Hello guys and my fellow Brazilians!
    Well, I honestly don't know if I want to know anything else about Jaycee. Since I heard about it, I am sick of my stomach. Having a little girls myself, I can't imagine anything worse than losing her to a stranger. I want her abductor to die in hell.

August 31, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Michael Yaylagul

Hey Anderson. The case involving Dugard is different then your typical case because the girls didnt seem to be socially affected and most of the time the person who took them doesnt let them interact with people fearing that they might tell them that they were in trouble. Also the girls were clean and groomed so maybe when he goes to trial they will take those things into consideration.

August 31, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

She developed a fond relationship with the kidnapper ... This is so surreal to me, but I don't judge her!

August 31, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Mary Terry

How did the neighbor with the birthday party invite these reclusive girls? Questions are the beginning of every conversation. How could the conversation not lead into leading questions with obvious odd behavior?

August 31, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

Garrido's parole officer obviously didnt do a very good job when it came to keeping an eye on Garrido. If he did his job right that woman would have been found a very long time ago and all of this would have ended sooner. Not to mention the cops who were called to his house after the report they recieved about the kids living in the backyard. If they would have checked more thoroughly it would have ended earlier

August 31, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Dustin McWain, Somerset,Ky

he is a creep

August 31, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Nicole

Does anyone know if Jaycee had her kids in a hospital or did she have them at the house? She would have only have been about 13 or 14 years old, how did this go unnoticed?

August 31, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Sue

I'm interested in finding out from Dr Gupta if the H1N1 vaccine will be a live virus or not.

August 31, 2009 at 10:12 pm |