August 31st, 2009

Evening Buzz: Inside Jaycee Dugard’s secret backyard prison

Cate Vojdik
AC360° Writer

We’re keeping a close eye on a fast-moving California wildfire that’s threatening thousands of homes and businesses outside Los Angeles—and has trapped five people who ignored evacuation orders. They’re stuck in a canyon surrounded by walls of flames. The blaze, which broke out last week, nearly doubled in size overnight. Two firefighters died battling it. We’ll have the latest tonight.

We now have a much clearer picture of what the last 18 years have been like for Jaycee Dugard, the young woman who was found last week 18 years after her kidnapping. Investigators are combing the secret backyard compound where Dugard was allegedly forced to live–and where she apparently gave birth to the two daughters her captor fathered. We’ll show you what investigators found inside the squalid makeshift compound of tents and sheds.

We’ll also hear from people who came into contact with Jaycee Dugard during her captivity. It turns out she wasn’t entirely isolated. She apparently helped Phillip Garrido run his printing business. Why didn’t outsiders suspect anything was wrong? What was their impression of the young woman? We’ll try to answer those questions tonight.

We’ve also learned that investigators are looking into whether other young victims may have fallen prey to Garrido. A short time ago, authorities said that they found a bone fragment on a neighbor’s property that Garrido allegedly used. The fragment is being tested to determine if the bone is human. Meantime, the search for more evidence continues with cadaver dogs. We’ll cover all of these angles tonight.

Plus, we’ll take a close look at the bold allegation that Britain brokered the release of the Pan Am Flight 103 bomber as part of a secret trade deal with Libya. The Times of London says it has a letter that provides proof. Tonight we’re keeping them honest.

Swine flu is also in our mix tonight. Many college campuses are already reporting outbreaks of the H1N1 virus. The University of Kansas has hundreds of suspected cases. We’ll show you what’s being done to contain the spread on that campus. Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta will also answer your questions.

See you at 10 p.m. eastern.

Filed under: Cate Vojdik • The Buzz
  1. Janet barkley

Did you know that the LA county Fire Dept will NOT let in the private fire companies that the insurance companies use. They would rather see our houses burn and leave us with nothing than to let these very experience companies come in and save some of our homes. This is a political ploy in CA.

September 1, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  2. Samantha

Ya know,

I sat here tonight and watched your show Anderson Twice. Back to back. And it made me think of another story I recently read and was sick to my stomach about Literally! The story I speak of is Baby Brianna of New Mexico.

In both story's there were people who suspected something and never said anything. In Jaycee's case it was her Neighbors and In Brianna's it was her own grandmother. This makes me angry as a person and very sad as a mother.

I hope more people realize that it's the children who hurt; By us as adults, not speaking up.

A damn shame,
    Samantha

September 1, 2009 at 6:09 am |
  3. Brian

First my hats off to the officer who discovered something was'nt right and had the guts to check it out. He stopped a very sick man and saved the lives of three people in my mind.Second, my heart goes out to Jaycee and her two daughters. No one should have to go throght anything like that. There should be a donation taken up for them to help get their lives back in order. And third, the police force who took the past 911 calls should be sued, they could have investageted long ago and freed those poor girls from a life of fear. Keep up the great work Anderson.

September 1, 2009 at 5:29 am |
  4. Chispas

A more detail investigation will show that local law enforcement personal that are members of the BDSM community knew of the use of sex slaves in the community , I wouldn't be surprise if some of them attended the gatherings that went on in the property of Mr . Garret 's .
    The use of teenage sex slaves is prevalent among the local BDSM community in rural Contra Costa County .
    I'm glad that this case uncover a kidnapping , but having law enforcement members that participated in this activities is like having the fox guard the hen house .
    It's bad enough having law enforcement turning a blind eye on this problem , but the news media shouldn't have to do the same .

September 1, 2009 at 5:25 am |
  5. Shaan Khan

Regardless of whether Jaycee voluntarily remained with Garrido or not, the facts speak for themselves. Jaycee was impregnated at Age 13 and Age 17. She was a child and obviously traumatized beyond repair. Garrido abducted, continually raped and psychologically damaged Jaycee for the larger part of her life. Further investigation is pointless, and quite frankly spending tax dollars to sustain a court proceeding is futile. I look forward to watching your segment; the larger question I would want answered is what the criminal and justice system is doing to clamp down on these kinds of crimes. How do we make this kind of a crime intolerable in our society.

September 1, 2009 at 3:59 am |
  6. Ginger

Go Anderson Go!!! Goodness sake. When the gal Anderson was interviewing began to "defend" Giarrido, I like Anderson, was not a happy camper. Oh but Oh but....that gal, was she a reporter, the only reporter in this "small town" in 2009 in America, in or near the Bay Area?? Giarrido is a mad man. Add him along with Manson, Hitler, Satan, Casey...American wake up, contact your authorities...........

September 1, 2009 at 3:24 am |
  7. Miriam

Garrido's mother also lives in the home with dementia surely she has not been ill for 18 years. Makes you wonder how he explained Jaycee to the family that might have visited his mother. The brother revealed this information.

September 1, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  8. Sarah Hooper

So far I have not heard newscasters mention something that I consider rather glaring.

Jaycee now has a daughter the same age she was when she was kidnapped and raped. And a daughter who was that age 4 years ago. It would be naive to think he has not raped them as well.

We may never know, but I pray that he didn't do to them what he did to Jaycee. The sad fact of the matter is that he didn't have to kidnap these victims. He created them right there in his home.

I have to go cry now. It's all just to heartbreaking to think about.

September 1, 2009 at 2:42 am |
  9. jim

Anderson please ask the question which has not been addressed.
    Where is Jaycee Lee Dugard's father? Why didn't he know where his daughter was living when she was abducted?
    Thanks

September 1, 2009 at 2:38 am |
  10. randy

I think the people who have the power to release criminals by offering them parole should face consequences if those criminals re-offend. They would think twice about their actions.

The people who allowed this monster to be out on parole essentially has a hand in the kidnapping.

September 1, 2009 at 2:33 am |
  11. Delia

People never believe in brain washing until it happens to them.

September 1, 2009 at 2:28 am |
  12. Randy (Houston Texas)

I think it's time to stop showing pictures of these innocent children (including Jaycee). The press is keeping these children in a public prison. Imagine how horrible and embarrassing it must be for these kids to have their disturbing circumstances constantly aired to the public. Most kids can hardly handle embarrassment with-in the classroom. I understand the publics interest in this story but CNN should make a stand to protect their identity as much as possible (not the opposite). These kids deserve some privacy. Please.

September 1, 2009 at 2:18 am |
  13. Muhidin Fidow

All my kids are go school and they between the age of 7-5 so worry
    about s1 h1 flu what is the immediate advise that you given to the teachers? and parents whose worry like me

September 1, 2009 at 2:05 am |
  14. Libby D.

The person who implied on the show that, " We need to know more about the Garrido's," filled me with so much anger, I had to say something.

They are the last thing we need to know more about. Mr. Garrido- who claims people will interpret the full story as some kind of miracle, is contacting networks to explain himself; aka get publicity. Human interest plays a role in trying to understand people like the Garrido's, giving them some kind of credit they don't deserve. If you're that curious, wait for a horror movie to come out based on this.

Ignore them. Missing children are everywhere and this could be a chance to examine closed cases that could be solved.

In response to Annie Kate:
    UM what could Jaycee have been told to keep her from leaving? As if an 11 year old who was abducted by a master manipulator should know how to escape.

September 1, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  15. Heidi Foglia

The girl didn't leave because she was too afraid of her captors. They convinced her that she would probably be killed if she tried to leave, or worse– live an even more tortured existance than she was already living. Since nobody came to her rescue, she gave up and lived the awful life she knew. She made the "best" of it. She survived.

Never EVER blame the victims, please.

September 1, 2009 at 1:43 am |
  16. Marilyn

Kudos to Cheyvonne Molino and her comments about how the media is reporting the Jaycee Dugard story. Ms. Molino says we are not getting the story about what the inside of the main home looked like and states that every crime within a geographic area will be linked to the suspect. I've watched this coverage ad nauseum and there is a strong slant towards what we expect to see and hear (the sensational) and very little else. As though we can't handle contradictions. Cooper even got testy with Ms. Molino – absurd. Does he think he's protecting us? Protecting a standard? A way of thinking? Give it up, Cooper. We're adults. The truth will set us free. No slant. Give us the benefit of the doubt; maybe we don't need to be told what to think.

September 1, 2009 at 1:42 am |
  17. DeLia

I'm not at all condoning what Phillip Garrido is suspected of doing, but I'm really glad to see the news bringing in experts in the field of psychology, mind control, even customer of his home business to help give us outsiders others perspectives. Now if only we can be open to these and try to understand what a monumental process Jaycee's and her children's "rehabilitation" is going to be.

September 1, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  18. Gary Reiman

I knew Pat Garrido (Phillps mother) for many years. She actually had her hair done every single week at my partner's hair salon for over 20 years. Phillip told us about a year he was putting his mother in a care home.
    We haven't seen her in all this time. Phillip refused to say anything about his mother or let anyone see her. Even his mother's sister was
    barred from going to see her i believe. When all this came down, we thought he must have killed his mother. But the Placer County Sheriff
    told me she was alive when they arrested Phillip and taken to a hospital. Facts: That was not Phillip's house it is his mothers house.
    She lived there on that property for the last 18 years. Questions: Why is no news agency talking to her? Why (god forbid) is she not charged with this horrible crime?
    No one will answer these questions for me!
    Any thoughts from you?
    Thanks!

September 1, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  19. Ruth Croke

Why isn't Anderson raising comparisons to the case of Elizabeth Fritzl in Austria last year?

September 1, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  20. Sharon

Jaycee was abducted at age eleven. When I try to remember ANYTHING about my own life at age eleven, I find it very difficult. After so many years, Jaycee probably could not recall her own mother's face! After the death of my beloved grandmother, I once tried to conjure up her face in my imagination and simply could not do it. The mind is a curious thing, very complex and mysterious. No amount of speculation that we do will put the finger on the true facts of this case. It is a perplexity indeed.

September 1, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  21. IM

It seems so sad that so many lives were hurt when people who had the information generally ignored the fact that a sex offender was in their midst till long after the tragedy happenend when someone had the power to act on their intuition. I wish there were more officers like the one who decided to follow up. We have a sex offender close to our neighborhood, in fact the school bus stop is right in front of his apartment but have been advised against saying anything. Seems our option is to wait till tragedy strikes.

September 1, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  22. debbie

Anderson I watch your show all the time, And tonight i have to say i was shocked, the neighbor who came on and stated no one has mentioned the inside of the house were these girls were held,, And he was a nice man and such and going to the birthday party omg, Anderson he is a rapist, a child molester and kidnapper and who knows if he murdered anyone yet, What is wrong with this women sounds like she has a little mind control going on, This really upset me and i sure many of your viewers, Also who delivered these baby girls? And the wife She is a freak as well. This young women will never be the same in her life, I dont believe she well ever recover from such a trauma. Please dont invite this women back on your show that was so very upsetting. I feel so sorry for these young women it breaks my heart

September 1, 2009 at 1:26 am |
  23. Dave

Is a search warrant required to enter the house/yard of someone on parole?

Why didn't they search the house.yard in 2006 after the 911 call.

Why was his parole revoked in 1993, and who kept Jaycee then?

September 1, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  24. Andy B

The Jaycee Dugard situation makes a great case for more women in law enforcement. Over the years, men who came in contact with Garrido shrugged their shoulders – while women consistently sensed that something was wrong.

September 1, 2009 at 1:23 am |
  25. so sad

She was obviously brainwashed by that animal

September 1, 2009 at 1:20 am |
  26. Ashah

If the UK indeed used the Lockerbie bomber in a gas/oil deal with Lybia, they took a page from the Bush/Cheney handbook of government: lie, manipulate & cheat.

September 1, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  27. Hawglegg

WOAH ! ! ! Lady pump your brakes. I know you are not defending anything about that MONSTER! ARRRGGGHHHHH ! ! ! I don't know what her point is ... we don't need to see anymore than we have inside that home. I am scared! Death penalty would take too long America ...

September 1, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  28. Kyle

I can't believe this woman seems to be defending this monster...

September 1, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  29. Sheila Fass

There has been no information on the real father in this case. Who is he and where is he?

September 1, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  30. Janet-IL USA

Just curious how come some comments on AC live do not make it in and yet, many are repeated from the same people. I have followed the rules.

September 1, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  31. Hawglegg

CHEVY SHUTUP!

September 1, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  32. Lisa

As a victim of sexual violence, I can only commend Jaycee for strength and courage and the tenacity to overcome all odds...I can only say that to go through that many years with a "pedophile" will certainly take alot of healing and know from my heart that you have so many people hoping only the best for you...xo

September 1, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  33. Westerly A. Donohue

Anderson:

I'm very concerned about Jaycee, of course. Her daughters, however, are about the age SHE was when she was kidnapped. How are they going to fare when they learn their father was their mother's kidnapper and keeper?
    And how are these girls going to be schooled from now on? I can't imagine that they'll just start public school in January. I cannot even begin to imagine how much these three have missed, or how they will integrate fully into society again. Last, I worry Jaycee was kept with the help of drugs. I can't imagine her state of mind.

September 1, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  34. Gracie

Anderson Cooper,

You have not focused on the wife. Does she have a history? Did she particpate in the previous kidnapping? What role did she play?

September 1, 2009 at 1:12 am |
  35. Hawglegg

PLEASE STOP CALLING THIS MONSTER AN ANIMAL. I have fish, a cat, and two turtles that would never hurt anyone. Can you please respect that and call this MONSTER A MONSTER?

September 1, 2009 at 1:12 am |
  36. Scott

I think the lady is right, the medai has it wrong she is talking sense, they invited her girls to the party and they acted normal...Most likely he kept them hidden but they had tv etc

September 1, 2009 at 1:11 am |
  37. helen

Where is Jaycee's real dad because I only see her step-dad..

September 1, 2009 at 1:09 am |
  38. David, Indiana

@Annie Kate Yes this is a very unusual case. Why didn't she secretly call someone or send out an e-mail, or just walk over to the police station and say who she was? Is it possible that this illicit and bizarre relationship was actually love? I imagine your vw is the best, she was looking out for her children. Having said all of that, we are in the land of speculation fully. Many of these questions and many more will probably be addressed in a police report and come up in a trial. And that is what I truly have to say. These are all actual people and though it is the very nectar of blogging to wildly imagine what is going on with them in the name of creativity, it is also the very ambrosia of the law, and sustenance of our democracy to protect their rights. Adhering to that, and to journalistic discipline might just lead to justice and even, miraculously some kind of good result.

September 1, 2009 at 12:37 am |
  39. J.V.Hodgson

The indictment refers to her as Jane Doe, and yet she is named and publicised all over the place.
    For me this young lady and her family have suffered enough without all the publicity. I personally believe the Media should behave in accordance with the indictment and refer to her as Jane Doe, and be prohibited from publishing her name by Law.
    Also if it were my family I would want no public attention until we had restored the comfort of our family relationship,outside the media purview.
    But hey ho no doubt the family got paid by the media to give information etc and that should be banned by law as well.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

September 1, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  40. elbyacuarelas

Hi speak in español. saludos elby

September 1, 2009 at 12:16 am |
  41. Aileen Knoxville, TN

Anderson, This is so sad to think of a child being treated in this way. This is horrible for her parents. But there is a case on trial in Knoxville, Tn at the present time where the two young people kidnapped, tortured for days then killed by 4 other so call humans....these parents will never hug, kiss or see there children alive again......why is this not National News?

September 1, 2009 at 12:11 am |
  42. Deb Wales

It is very easy to say that Jaycee should have been able to get away. Abductors use isolation, rape and threats to control their victims. Perhaps in the beginning, there would be attempts to escape or resist. However, she is contained totally by him, totally dependent on him for food, medicine, and other basics. The abuse has gone on for years. It became the life she knew, and even if she hated it, it was the life she had been conditioned for.

Abused women show a lot of the same signs. They stay with an abuser, and even defend him. This often occurs after years of isolation and abuse. I can't begin to imagine how an 11 year old girl, who became a mother at 13 could even cope with the reality of the situation. She had to view it as a 'sort of marriage' to add a degree of normalcy to a life she had no control over.

I hope that he and his wife spend the rest of their natural lives in isolation. Monsters like these two people should be shown no mercy.

September 1, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  43. Samuel Noble

Well i can say this for one thing...this man should pay for what he did to J.c and her family. My heart goes out to her and her family. I would hope for the best for her and her family to continue on in a reality where they are now...within J.C's Family. I would hope the man who kidnapped J.C will face justice and his maker.
    I am also saddend though it took so long to figure out what happend to this little one. I hope that J.C will remember and know that her parents love her as well as her entire family – The Garridos.
    In a free society noone should be afraid of gettting kidnapped. This is all to bad. Now stricter rules will come into play. This first official complaint should have been taken more seriously by law enforcement but was not.
    This little girl had to pay the price for that. She wasn't just kidnapped but she was raped by the kidnapper. Her childhood was taken away because law enforcement couldn't get its act together. They all blame Phillip Garrido. He may have been the primary cause however law enforcement chose to do zilch about it. Until they could get media coverage on it. I'm not just ashamed of The Garridos but i am also ashamed of law enforcement that was called out the first time to this place. When someone knows someone has been kidnapped. It should have been reported. I must say that in all our best interest to help each other out.

August 31, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  44. William Courtland

Jaycee Dugard... poor kid...

Who can justify someone elses motives... someone elses actions?

Garrido: this is really about him: so in separation

wishing Jaycee all the privacy and hope she requires for the remains of this ordeal...

Garrido... Motive... Hatred for females: yet some twisted compassionate intent that maybe he could raise a young girl not to be so menevolent... yet like a disordered priest who molests his own alter boys... he brings pain upon true love and defies rational intent.

Garrido acted: yet likely he is mentally insane due to the actions taken against him in his own life. incite of truth comes to even the most sinister of us.

Garrido acted: yet as I would forgive all those who follow occult intent to bring heinous events against humanity as they are entrapped: I as an individual must also provide Phillip Garrido with this respect.

The man is not really a criminal: he is just insane; he let his chivarly take a second step, he attacked his own conscience and allow those who caused his schizophrenia to overtake him when unable to conquor all and provide the truth... lost before he started.

Insane: because of the life he lived and the notions of others action which almost forced him. To commit crimes of indecency.

Punishment must come: acts can not be so easily forgiven: admonishments, atonement is often in these cases ni-impossible: the victim might forgive: but the pain to the family will always be a regret, the losses greater to only allow some absolution but never total forgiveness.

Prisons should be a sperm free facility: sensual relations of all types should be forbidden in prison. To have this man free of his insanity: requires a mind free of semen. Letting the truth to his own life: be both a punishment and a release: while he contemplates his own crimes for a lifetime.

None of us are really innocent in this world. Some just blame Christ and make all sin his fault... his burden... answered in his death...

Truth?

The only way to prevent such tragedy in the future: is to understand life to its fullest: when we take a step out of ourselves: and find rational to attempt to force good: to force life into better behaviour... One must know themselves before one finds love for another. In most cases: people of this world love another just to experience: and have no rational to the purpose of life and to share love for a childs creation. We rush to inhibitions and pleasures... many just go insane in such relations: as the world around them seems sick.

To attempt to be better than someone's current parents... to attempt to be stronger than someone else's father.

Crimes have been committed: and evidence in this case if obvious: but we are all victims of past sins, the past sins of others, and even our own vices. The chain reaction of this man's evil intent: is born of others intents against humanity itself.

Truth: will stop these people: truth will set them free: and make most face their own guilt: on their own terms.

The Buddhists do not believe that punishment works: when Moses ordered those who broke order to be stoned to death... To exile: to just turn your back and wipe your feet as you leave their domestic places... To punish by stripping civilization from an individual: to teach them the end result of what they sow: to force them to live in to face the truth of a world where you always have neighbors even to let them learn of what a neighborhood where civilization has failed truly is like: to just let them experience the hell of life without civil intent... hell on earth is a world where law does not exist...

Equality: but one can not raise a hand: or violate the first oath of civilization: the oath of chivarly.

People like this Garrido must learn: that justice is social: it can not be a private manner: when we act to punish a person and take an eye for an eye: that chain never stops until we are all blind.

The truth can not set this man free. His crimes are real. But perhaps the truth can prevent future crimes: and release many found entrapped and enslaved in like situations. Remorse and the truth can cause severe outbursts: life threatening at times: yet civilization requires total truth: else distrust leads to total decay and its final damnation to all.

What causes mental illness?

Stop the raptures: and revoke the related responses of revenge and disquieting intent.

Law is real: and in many places sorcery is still against the law... it only just recently left the law books in England... yet: notwithstanding Saudi Arabia...

Feminist Extremism: ends with the truth: and the insanity is invokes in the unjust responses of some.

Words: the truth is the greatest weapon: yet it must be weilded softly to perserve chivalry and return the minds to reason: and forge ahead with equality in a real civilization. Civilization is the final product of faith: faith in true love gives just reason for civilization. To provide children with a better life than our own.

Kidnapping and eventual stockholm situated love affairs are not a healthy lifestyle or future expectation for children. It is why man has written law against it. When a person is just: their conscience will inform them of wrong doings: and those who learn from their mistakes and take the time to draft a new law to prevent that pain of hinder conscience in others...

It is a sinister world we live in; when total truth to sexual relationships is found hidden; kept secret... It leads men to sinister ends.

I would if I were to try such a case want to know what the father of this lost once little girl would like done. The same of her mother. Then in reflection to the greater laws of life: answer that respect with true justice intended. Nothing can force a person to reform: but compassion can make it easier for them to find the route they need to try.

August 31, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  45. MWHITE

I feel that people can only be helped when the ask or show the need to be helped. Duguard apparently portrayed a happy life. She probably appeared as a young lady in love with an older man especially after birthing not one but to of his children. She was not completely isolated and had more that one opportunity to flee. If she was really scared to leave but wanted to a perfect place would have been at the hospital. The intial mistake with Phillip Garrido, was letting him out after his first offense. He should have been under supreme supervision.

August 31, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  46. Yvette

I hope I was clear on mt question.
    Do Jaycee's daughters know what is going on, and do they know Garrido is a rapest?

August 31, 2009 at 11:41 pm |