August 31st, 2009

All of your H1N1 Swine Flu questions answered

Centers for Disease Control

Check out this link for the most recent information on the H1N1 swine flu virus. This CDC site has maps that show the areas most affected by the virus and it has all of the information about vaccines and what to do if you contract the H1N1 flu. Go here to learn more about the virus and how you can protect yourself from contracting it. And tune in tonight for more from Dr. Sanjay Gupta. He’ll be on to answer your questions.

Click here for CDC H1N1 Information

Filed under: H1N1
  1. Richard Beach

If one has a history of Guillian- Barre syndrome is that sufficient reason
    to avoid the H1N1 vaccine? If the present vaccine is found unsafe ,
    how many generations of vaccine production will it take to assure a safe vaccine ? will there be any public statements concerning the link be-
    tween Guillian – Barre and egg -produced vaccine exposure ?Is the
    CDC going to wait for the Guillian -Barre community to educate the public about the Campylobacter factor which is present in chicken and egg products and has been demonstrated to be a triggering factor in the appearance of Guillian -Barre symptoms . ?

September 1, 2009 at 3:12 am |
  2. robin milani

how can you tell if you have the swine flu?

September 1, 2009 at 2:58 am |
  3. mike

y are more people dying from this flu than anyother?

September 1, 2009 at 2:54 am |
  4. Rosa

Hi anderson I love your show! But now what not sure if we are going to have the vacines ready?

September 1, 2009 at 2:43 am |
  5. Andrew

How will this vaccine affect people with HIV?

September 1, 2009 at 2:32 am |
  6. Ray

if you have HIV, very low count(150) Do I need to stay indoors, away from the publice? and how safe is it to be outdoors?

September 1, 2009 at 2:26 am |
  7. jay

hi im 24 and have hiv so what do i need to do to not to get h1n1???

September 1, 2009 at 2:16 am |
  8. jana

I've heard rumors from friends that countries such as China, Vietnam and possibly other asian countries are quarantining tourists and lying to them that they have the H1N1 disease. They may keep these people for days and not giving any information to the person or their families if the person has truly contracted the virus or not. These officials are corrupt personnel who are keeping these tourists to extort them for money. They have these tourists pay money in order to get their passports back and allowing them to leave the country.

Do you know if these rumors are true or not? I had planned to visit one of these asian countries but decided against it when I heard this story from friends.

September 1, 2009 at 12:55 am |
  9. Bree Hill

Emphasis needs to be placed on teaching preventative hygiene techniques, especially to young children (the #1 spreaders of germs). I have a tip that makes this task a lot easier and fun for the kids, and no vaccination is required. Its called Germy Wormy Germ Smart. It teaches kids to understand how germs spread and how to NOT spread germs. My daughter learned it at pre-school. It was so much fun for her, and amazing how quickly the kids learned healthier hygiene habits! The website speaks for itself.

September 1, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  10. Steve Zagar

Dear Anderson
    My son is 9 old has Asthma We Are really worry about him catching the H1N1 virus. We lose our older son 4 years ago he was 21 how we are face with this.Please help us find out all we can do to prevent him from getting this and will he be one of the first to get the vaccine.
    Everyday we worry he will come home from school infected.

Steve And Ginger Zagar

September 1, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  11. Pam

My 26 year old son has Type 1 diabetes and no health insurance. Are those with diabetes considered "high risk"? Where can I find a list of centers that will offer low cost or free flu and HiNi vaccines?

September 1, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  12. Jeannie Snedegar

I'm pregnant and Due Decmeber 12, 2009. I was wondering if it's not a 100 % possitive for the Swine flu shots not harming a fetus why not put other more healthy people first, then AFTER seeing how well it works try using it on pregnant women. I understand we're trying to protect our kids but are we 100 percent sure of all side effects and things that could interfere with pregnancy. On a second note I live in Springfield, Oregon and I heard you announce to come to this site to see how bad swine flu is in my area and I'm having trouble finding that link. Can we make it more obviouse because I would love to know what I'm up against. Thank you 🙂

September 1, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  13. Ginette Denis

P.S.: I forgot to say that I have COPD ... Sorry

September 1, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  14. Mary Swift

Hi Anderson,
    From someone who has had many reactions to different antibiotics
    Im not so sure that a foreign substance that long term effects are not known would be the correct route for me to take.. Vioxx killed my mother and now the makers of the H1N1 are not putting any guarantees on thier product because its free? If something has not been tested for long term effects dont put it out there. I have had four near fatal reactions to where my throat closed shut do you know what that feels like? Lets just inject everyone with stem cells we know they are safe and cure illness and Lord knows we have plenty of those..Hmmm whats this country coming too. Mary
    I love your show

September 1, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  15. siewlee

We moved from Holland to Canada on this year Feb 09, at that time we were awared H1N1 and was not really that scary to me yet. For what I know that due to the summer heat , the H1N1 is not really spread and is controlable, but there is one thing that i don't understand, my home land in Malaysia the H1N1 was already effacted more then 2000 thousand people and about 70 over people died. My question is why in such a warm country like Malaysia, the virus can spread so fast but not during the summer in Canada?

September 1, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  16. russell loomis

I was curious if there is any information about the H1N1 virus's potency depending on the affected person's ethnic background? Are people with native American blood or Asian blood more vulnerable? My understanding is that flu's originally came from the Med... Would this make people who have ancestry from this region more able to fight off the virus?

September 1, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  17. Ginette Denis

Hi! I had Guillain-Barré 3 years ago but not due to a vaccine. I had a flu vaccine in October and the Guillain-Barré in April during a bronchitis.

Will it be safe for me to have this vaccine?

Thanks in advance.

September 1, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  18. Dick Berns

Anderson-

What is the estimated cost of the H1N1 vaccine?

Thanks, Dick Berns

August 31, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  19. DosGhost

any thing put out by Baxter inc is tainted don't trust them or your health it is all about money and 90,000 Americans dead hums no wonder fema is making all them coffins..

im not a conspiracy nut either .

August 31, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  20. Richard Morris

I attend a community college with around 13,000 students. I am one of the 20 students who contracted swine flu. If an outbreak were to happen on campus, could i get the swine flu again?

August 31, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  21. Jennifer

How can we the public be ensured that the same problems with the vaccine that occured in the NJ community in the 70's won't be repeated now?

August 31, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  22. Jan Britton

I am a 55 year old female with a left breast mastectomy – I caught the H1N1 the first part of July – while flying American Airlines to DFW Airport. Came home the following day and started running a fever of 103 degrees – my physician jumped on the issue because I was already taking antibiotics for a sinus infection but I was running a fever of 103 degrees and when I went into the office – the x-ray showed left upper lobe pneumonia.

Do I have any antibiotics that will help me against what is going around now?

Jan B. – El Paso,
    Texas

August 31, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  23. Jamie Moynagh

Sorry guys, I took the Swine Flu shot in the 70's. Shortly I was so sick I couldn't lift my head from the pillow for a week. Never took another flu shot and won't in the future. I have worked with the homeless, the adedicted and in the prisons and never had the flu. This appears to be the same kind of hurry up without good ideas about the outcome.

August 31, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  24. Reid Cotten

Anderson...we heard you cough after the H1N1 segment with Dr. Gupta...have you been screened for the virus??

Concerned for your health....

Reid

August 31, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. martha

Like millions of Americans with rheumatological diseases, I inject myself with an immune suppresent, Humira, that blocks TNF receptors. Consequently, I am considered immune impaired. Should I get the vaccine? Does the CDC have an official position about this?

August 31, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Zee

What can a seemingly healthy adult do to protect against H1N1, rather than taking a shot, which could be better used by someone else? Vitamin C?

August 31, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Jim F

I had heard that the H1N1 vaccine was going to be produced using a new method, something with insect/caterpillar eggs which is quicker than than the traditional method of using chicken eggs. Is this true?

August 31, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Kim

I am a 51 year old kidney transplant recipient, 5 years out, and have just went back to college this fall. I am not able to receive the flu vaccine, what should I do? Should I drop out for this semester?

August 31, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Shyamala Rajagopalan

My son is at KU as a freshman. Why is KU swine flu #s so high?

August 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Mike in Colorado

Another thought on H1N1. the last large outbreak of Avian Flu occurred in North Pakistan in 2007. It's highly lethal to humans but is not easily transmitted from human to human. Now we, the American government are sending in soldiers into Afghanistan and Pakistan. H1 N1 is highly transmissible from human to human. Do we want a highly transmissible form of avian flu coming back to the US. Let's hold off on teh troop build-up for a while until all American soldiers have been vaccinated. Use Predator drones in the meantime!

August 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Suzanne Goodemote

My doctor suggested that the flu vaccine may not be safe for me because I am diagnosed with heavy metal/mercury toxicity. Is there a harmful mercury component to the vaccine and is the risk of the flu more harmful than the vaccine for me?

August 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Mike in Colorado

If the swine flu vaccine is delayed until Late October/ November, why don't we just keep schools closed until Nov 15th and extend into next year? How many people have to die so that WalMart's back to school sale occurs on time?

August 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. lynne splinter

I am going to Turkey and Prague the end of September. It was "suggested" by someone in the medical field that we consider taking Tama Flu while on this trip as a precaution. What do you think?

August 31, 2009 at 10:12 pm |