August 28th, 2009

Video: New Orleans' levees improved?

Program Note: Four years after Katrina, what is New Orleans like now? Some residents continue to face challenges as the Big Easy keeps trying to rebuild. Take a look at In Depth: After the Storm. And to learn about ways you can make a difference, visit Impact Your World.

1. Melissa

We have been told that they have become very slightly better than pre-Katrina. Which doesn't give us a whole lot of confidence.

August 31, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  2. Michael - Newport Beach, CA

Because people live there and have paid taxed for years whether they are wealthy or not the levy should be built to stand ALL hurricanes!!! We're the most powerful power in the world and we can't figure this out????!!!!

August 31, 2009 at 3:12 am |
  3. Michael - Newport Beach, CA

How could she feel it was not as safe as Pre-Katrina? Pre-Katrina was NOwhere near what it should be to protect the folks that live there. I think this is the problem. People say, I was safe, I would not have believed. I'm thinking, for God's sake the people that lived through it are lucky. Many didn't have radios or tv's and aside from that, if I was commander in Chief I would have send tanks in and made the people leave on barges that they could have towed and anything else worthing of safety but SOME just still said, "I'll stay." I mixed on this, I feel for everyone involved but I'm also pissed that people stayed. I'ved watched documentaries about this and everyone says, "I'm staying at home," or "this too shall pass," or "this is my home," or "the Lord will protect me." I'm so confused about how I feel about the people that stayed. I've been in several hurricanes and I always left...and LIVED without drama so I'm confused on this topic. I love the people of New Orleans and I love the South I just don't know what in the world someone has to do to tell you that there is deadly danger happening and people still just stay. Then ending up in their attics or roofs painting "HELP!"....

August 31, 2009 at 3:07 am |
  4. Jonathan P. Rose

Hey, Anderson Copper!
    I'm getting pretty sick of seeing you on TV talking about the Hurricane in New Orleans. If you are going to continue with you BS let me give you some facts. The 9th ward was not the only place devastated with water (80 percent of NO under water). Places like Lakeview where white people lived, Slidell and St. Bernard Parish which by the way had ONE house that was untouched by the water. So now you may go forward and check to see how some of those places are doing. Also you can show some pictures of white people. You may use my picture if you wish, I had 12 feet of water in my house. I'm white and didn't live in the 9th ward.
    Sincerly
    - Bad Jon

August 30, 2009 at 4:34 am |
  5. Terry, TX

"Take a look at In Depth: After the Storm. And to learn about ways you can make a difference, visit Impact Your World." Get real I live on the Texas coast...10 minutes away....and we were hit with Hurricane Ike in October....come and get the New Orleans refugees we still have on the govt tit here. We had entire areas washed into the ocean when the surge came in....hello.

The difference between us and New Orleans we go pick our relatives and get them out of harms way....it is not like the New Orleans Mayor did not know the hurricane was coming. Yet he was voted back in....instead of being run out of town. CNN we are so sick of the New Orleans "pity me party"....they weren't the only ones hit in Katrina.

August 29, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  6. doctorj2u

Thank you for trying to help New Orleans. Is anyone listening?

August 29, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  7. Art

There is no levee in the world that will stop Mother Nature if she wants to come in.

August 29, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  8. RhettsWIfe

The Corps failed to learn from Betsy and it failed to learn from Katrina. However, what Mr. Cooper fails to recognize is what the ordinary citizen does. Of course he interviewed some johnny come lately (regardless of Carville's connection to Louisiana) but did he do an in depth analysis of the total causes of the destruction of New Orleans. No, Mr. Anderson you did not. This city has been destroyed by neglect and lack of leadership and cronyism for generations. It is now being destroyed even more so by a hatred that will permeate the citizenship for generations to come and that is racism. Examine the city pre-Katrina and post-Katrina. Katrina and the Corps may have caused the physical damage but the mental damage has been caused by the issue of racism for generations. Look at the history of Louisiana and particularly Southern Louisiana and see that at one time men and women lived side by side regardless of their ancestries. Some of us grew up in that mixture and still believe it can work. Even within citizens of certain ancestries there is discrimination and hatred. It is time to face facts – time to realize that we must educate our youth, we must demand standards, we must enforce laws, etc. and the only way to acccomplish that is through cooperation and unity. Yes Mr. Cooper you need a good workout in what really is the cause of destruction of New Orleans and by that we mean the destruction of the citizens and not the buildings. We know what caused that. However, we have to face the other form of destruction and hatred created by politicians and their cronies for generations in order to hold their power.

August 29, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  9. RayRay

I was in N.O.for 2 months sept&oct 05 the people are fantastic they endured hardship that's unimaginable. I am so glad the city and the entire gulf coast is rebuilding better and stronger. I feek the need to return there it's a part of me too now.

August 29, 2009 at 2:56 am |
  10. Lori

The ACOE did not deny that there could be flooding during a 100 year storm event even with the improvements that have been made in the last four years. Both men said similar things about the leveys. Sometimes it is more important how you say things than what you say.

It sounds like the extent of damage and contribution of the design of the Mr. Go in the Katrina disaster was never anticipated. ACOE is working hard to correct the issue with Mr. Go now.

We assume that our environment is not changing; however, that is not true. Our environment is constantly changing especially with regard to surface water. We may witness dramatic changes in our lifetime with regard to surface water and rising sea level due to climate change. We need to plan ahead for our own safety.

August 29, 2009 at 12:55 am |
  11. David, Indiana

I understand the skepticism of Gwen Adams and Henry Adams. Pressing a suit is the only answer if you're going to depend on the protection of the levee system. Does anyone feel that what the Corp of Engineers has learned is going to help them to build a successful levee system? Are there gates in that system that can be opened? Is there a communication system that goes along with the levee system that helps coordinate managing storm surge and or floodwaters? How does that system work? Are messages being sent in that system now?

August 28, 2009 at 11:36 pm |