August 28th, 2009

Girl grew up locked away in backyard sheds

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.kidnap.shed/art.dugard.shed.ktvu.jpg caption="Jaycee Dugard was locked in a shed tucked under a blue tarp in her alleged captor's backyard. "]
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.kidnap.shed/art.jaycee.cnn.jpg caption="Jaycee Dugard was kidnapped at 11 and kept hidden for 18 years in a backyard compound, authorities say. "]
Mallory Simon
CNN

From the time she was an 11-year-old, blue-eyed, freckle-faced blonde until she was a 29-year-old woman with two children, Jaycee Dugard was kept locked away in a backyard compound of sheds and tarps by a couple who police say abducted her.

She was more than 160 miles from home, and her family had no idea where she was.

Nobody else knew she was there except the couple who snatched her off the street in front of her house in South Lake Tahoe, California, in 1991, and took her straight to the soundproof shed, police said.

Dugard's pocket of Phillip and Nancy Garrido's backyard in Antioch, California, was so overgrown no one even knew it existed.

The details about Dugard's time in captivity emerged Thursday after one of Northern California's most enduring mysteries was solved and the Garridos were arrested and accused of her kidnapping.

Anyone who came across the couple's backyard, littered with garbage cans and a dishwasher, would assume that it ended at a 6-foot fence.

Keep reading...

Filed under: Jaycee Dugard
  1. David ajiboye

Kidnapping and inprisonment for 18 yrs a death sentence will the equivalence

August 30, 2009 at 4:25 am |
  2. Elma Murray

California is really good at pulling my heart out!!!!!

August 30, 2009 at 1:00 am |
  3. jay

Note:

The Church organization that pays top notch lobbyist not only protects the pedophiles they harbor, but all pedophiles by stopping due laws.

August 29, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  4. jay

Alert!

It was a horrible life for her, a cruel one. I was raped from ages 8 to 10, sodomized. These were priests who on one occasion four gang raped me. (NY Diocese). One is a bishop today. Violent pedophiles traumatize victims for many times a life time. One priest attempted to suffocate me on another occasion at a camp. I played dead and slept in the woods. Right now they can claim so few were raped because we cannot get to court, they win by now fooling others.

The most violent pedophiles will traumatize victims the longest; many of those victims are still traumatized into their 50's and 60's. These pedophiles are easy to identify, because unlike murder, the witness is many times still alive. Violent pedophiles average 100 victims at different times. Identifying them becomes easy and unquestionable. One of my abusers friends was arrested two years ago and let off with lewd behavior, he was 86 years old.

The FBI has learned that in many cases, pedophiles know of each other. Especially when within organizations.

Assemblyman Vito Lopez in NY, by favor to the church, works to protect the Church by preventing laws from moving forward to expose these pedophiles. In the diocese I was abused there have been almost 20% of the clergy that have abused children. The media knows of only 2% because cases are not allowed to move forward thanks to Vito Lopez.

Today I am permanently mentally ill due to the damage done by them. Not only do their victims suffer a lifetime, these most violent abusers are free. People seem to believe that if it were them repeatedly and violently abused, they would have acted out differently, that thinking is only fantasy. Violent and repeated abuses with threats of death, and you know they mean business, causes permanent harm on the victim. Doctors have found that a there is a physical change in the brain of the abused that resembles the same in those who have committed suicide.

Most of the missing prepubescent children that have been missing for over 6 months were likely victims of pedophiles. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to scare those who harmed children with arrest? Just maybe we would resolve some of the missing, who knows. Right now they are able to escape because of statutes of limitations, they can laugh knowing they have won. They are not even in line-ups or even questioned when a child is missing. Why? Because Vito Lopez is dedicated to keeping the pedophiles safe and unknown by stopping laws that would expose them.

Let's start by example and show we are serious about identifying pedophiles.

From the families of the missing, families whose children committed suicide due to mental illness caused by abuse, those victims institutionalized and those victims living live in mental chaos; Please call a NY Assembly and Senate member and ask them tell Speaker Sheldon Silver to not listen to Vito Lopez. Tell him that you want a Window legislation with NO age limit to identify the most violent pedophiles.

We need our fellow citizens to help us pass this law because the religious organization that has the most to hide pays top notch lobbyist to make sure the law does not pass. We have no chance. Do not accept any reason why anyone should support this organization in hiding pedophiles. Tell them there is no negotiating when it comes to small children violently raped. Tell them proof is easy when so many victims can identify them.

Although Jaycee went through a horrible and unbelievable experience, she just might be our children's blessing.

"We can teach our children to tell us everything; if they never come home, they can tell us nothing."

August 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  5. Art

What a story! The best to Jaycee and her family. As for the kidnappers, shoot them!

August 29, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  6. Kristi Rohlfing

It will be interesting to find out how many times she reached out for help and was ignored by small-town authorities because her story was unbelievable.

August 29, 2009 at 2:14 am |
  7. Jackie

I am a retired parole Officwe in California. I can vouch for the fact that the system cared more for us getting our paperwork in on time, then it did about what I was doing with my caseload. Many veteran agents (INCLUDING ME) retired or quit in frustration in the lat few years and we were not replaced, causing high caseloads for agents and not enough time to do the job right. Agents like me who put the client first over the paperwork were harrasses by supervisors who wrote us uo for insuborination> I had a specialized caseload and supervised several sex offenders. In working with them, the system fails the community by releasing them back into society period. We need to put them somewhere like Alcatraz Island I agree with your guest they almost always reoffend and we currently do not mhave the tools in law enforcement to properly supervise them. I watched mine closely but the time I put in keep me being late with my paperwork and was not appreciated by the the administration. I was accused of trying to walk on water, but none of my clients re-offended while I worked with them, because they knew I was always out warching. Some asked me "dont you have a home to go to?' Ankle monitors only tell you when they are in and out of the home according to the time you set. They dont tell you what they are doing when granted time out of the home. I'm so sorry Jaycee, our system failed you; buy I hope your case will initiate major and much needed changes and laws in the way we supervise and handle sex offenders

August 28, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  8. Dave

This is truly a heart wrenching, horrific story. While I am happy they are finally free from their abductors, I am sickened as to how this man and his wife could do this to a child.

How on earth was this guy, who had a history of being a sex offender, not be monitored.

Jaycee must be a very brave woman. Our prayers are with you and your two children.

August 28, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Jaycee must be one very strong willed young woman to be able to survive 18 years in such living quarters and have 2 babies there. I hope they all can readjust to normal life and find happiness and can leave this behind them with time. I admire Jaycee for being able to endure that long under such conditions and still have the strength of character and mind to come into the police and tell them who she was and where she had been for 18 years.

August 28, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  10. Giselle

This is such a terrible story. How can anyone be so cruel as to kidnap and rape a child and then proceed to hide them for so many years? To think that his wife is an accomplice is just shameful.

When I heard an excerpt from an interview on AC360 which stated that P Garrido said their story is an amazing and heart warming one...I was sick to my stomach. Doesn't he understand how he has ruined an innocent young girl's life? Can you imagine how difficult it would be for the three of them to be placed back into society at some point?

My prayers are with Jaycee and her family at this time.

August 28, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  11. Heather,ca

Put a bullet in each of their heads. Its cheaper than life in prison and it seems the most appropriate punishment. They are monsters. The wife is on it from the abduction.

I feel terrible for her and her parents. These years of waiting and wondering put a strain on their marriage. I hope they can come together to be there for her and give her the normalcy she once had and so desperately needs. As for the children she had, they create a strange dynamic to the family. I don't know how you reconcile that. I guess time, good pscychologyst and maybe its possible to move forward. Of course eighteen years of captivity is more than eleven years in a normal loving home. Its just all so terrible.

August 28, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  12. K.Brown

This is another example of "unfathomable outrage" by our entire society! Only in America! This dispicable human was allowed to be"rehabilitated" and entertain our pocketbooks to be on parole!!!!!!! America is soft on criminals and have always been! One would have thought the Walsh kidnapping and murder of a six year old child would have changed the laws of this country but instead we have 1000's still happening! Too many to count. What has happened in the case of the "slime's" who killed Caley and Haleigh? Old news! Until all of you, ALL OF YOU do whatever it takes to send the message u harm a child, you are UNDESIREABLE in SOCIETY, for God's sake the Military does it! WE DON"T & WONT CONDONE YOU TO BE IN OUR SOCIEY ANYMORE!! Gulity verdict without a doubt? DEATH. That's why America needs to send the message WE WILL NOT CONDONE< RAPE NOR MURDER NOR ANY OFFENSE AGAINST OUR CHILDREN! not convinced? Michael Vick, convicted and served time,lost a career, respect $, etc has not been forgiven really but a convicted child PREDATOR (check your neighborhood!) served time and is being served by your checkbook!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS! WRITE YOUR GOV'T OFFICIALS! Some won't lift a finger but some might if AMERICA finally stands up and say's NO MORE!!

August 28, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  13. gary

It’s a shame that this girl Jaycee Lee Dugard was taken at age 11. 18 years with out her family. I’m shocked that the police was there 3 years ago and did not investigate the property better. The 911 caller from 3 years ago should get the $40,000 reward, its not there fault the police did not do a better job. police rewards are a joke !

August 28, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  14. Karen Hartley

We are missing the fact . That she made it. She had 2 children. IWhat a miricale. Wow, What a strong lady.

August 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  15. Patrice

It's like a modern day Allegory of the Cave for those kids

August 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  16. Bev

My heart is so sad for Jaycee but I am so happy this bondage has ended and she is free. Jaycee and her family are in my prayers!

August 28, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  17. Linda B., Ga.

Phillip and Nancy Garrido should be locked up for LIFE....too bad there will have to be an expense for a trial. The authorities that should've locked him up YEARS ago should also be held responsible, shame on them too.....

Hopely this young lady and her children can find some kind of peace in life and are not physically or mentally scarred by it all.....

God Bless You ALL...