August 28th, 2009

Accused child kidnapper had a blog?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl.blog/art.garrido.justice.jpg caption="Phillip Garrido, seen in file photo, kept a blog in which he talked about his "church" and controlling sound."]
CNN

The man accused of abducting an 11-year-old girl in 1991 apparently maintained a blog in which he claimed to control sound with his mind.

The blog now has profanity-laced responses from people outraged over Phillip Garrido's alleged actions.

Police say Garrido confessed to abducting Jaycee Lee Dugard at age 11 and fathering two children with her. Police say Dugard and the children, now 11 and 15, were kept in several enclosures hidden behind his home in Antioch, California.

Garrido and his wife are in police custody.

Garrido's blog entries are posted by "THEMANWHOSPOKEWITHHISMIND." He refers to "God's Desire," which is a church based out of his home in Antioch, according to CNN affiliate KCRA of Sacramento.

Keep reading...

Find more from Phillip Garrido’s blog here.

Filed under: Jaycee Dugard
  1. Angelina Vilas Boas (Brazil)

First of all I'd like to make clear I totally agree with everybody's comments about this hateful man and everything he's done against that woman and their kids as well... No doubts!
    But I'd like to share my thoughts with you all! Let me put it this way: "I have seen lots of pictures from the house they lived in and it seemed quite easy to get away from there. She has had lots and lots of years to get rid and didn't even try it??? Why??? The wall wasn't that high at all... [take a look at the pictures!]
    I guess she actually agreed with that situation and was used to live that way... Differently than the German story which was very similar to this one that woman didn't have any chance to change her reality because of the place she was living in, but this American woman could have done so many things but didn't even try it! I know people might not agree with me but think about it twice before judging me, please...
    What he has done is unforgivable, no doubts, but I really think she had agreed with him about living that way for years and years, over and over! Otherwise she would have escaped but didn't do anything to change that!

August 30, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  2. jay

Most people have no idea of the effects of childhood rape and trauma caused. Repeated and violent rape of a child, especially a young child whose mind has not fully developed, will cause a change in the brains development.

Looking back at 911; those in the planes and how scared they were is a good example of the reality of how we protect ourselves. Those in the jets were mostly adult yet they froze and justifiably so, they did exactly as they were told. How many times have we heard from others why they didn't over take the terrorist, and what they would have done if it were them. The reality is that you were not there and you were not faced with the same fear. People need to stop fantasizing what they would do, because the reality is that they would have acted out the same. Instead educate yourself before you speak. Likewise this child, Jaqcee, acted as any one of us would have.

The younger the child and the more repeated and violent rape, the more traumatized the child. The need to act out as if everything is OK becomes the victims goal. The child will quickly dispel thoughts of the rape without their control. This is a self protected mechanism to preserve some sense of sanity. The downside is that the victim is no longer living an aware life, life is over.

Thankfully she was found as many were never found. She has a chance, though a very tough road ahead. Those who were raped and kept the secret did so through no control of their own, are awakening from trauma today yet were never held physically captive. They never had a chance to live their lives. These are the ones who can expose the most violent pedophiles. In many states as NY Statutes of Limitations robs the civil rights of the victims and hands it to the pedophiles, our children are at risk.

If you beat a puppy, that puppy will never grow to be the same dog. Humans are the same and denying that does not change this reality.

August 29, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  3. carolyn carozza

as soon as i began to hear the details of this abduction, i started asking myself, this man had a history,he was already known to be a child molestor.they lived in the midst of many people, he worked,this crime should have been solved many years ago.WHY? WHEN? are the powers that be going to lock these people up after their first offense? why are we putting our children at risk? we need to care more. we need to ACT more often when our intuition is telling us something.and we do not need to know any more details. we are not voyeurs.leave these people alone.

August 28, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  4. Heather,ca

I agree with Michelle. Elizabeth Smart is younger than this women is now. 18 years! Not nine months. But – doubt anyone else was available to talk. This sort of thing is rare when it happens and noone wants to talk about it. This women is 29 and she has been through horific trauma that she will live with for the rest of her life. The experiences the two had are so very different in so many ways.

August 28, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  5. Leah

I can't decide if I am more ticked off about this pedo raping Jaycee and forcing her have his two daughters or the fact that he made these 3 human beings stay outside for 18 years. What's up with that anyway??

August 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  6. moni

I find it absolutely amazing that nobody has commented on the fact that a girl who lived in a normal family in a normal house under normal conditions for 11 years and went to school for most of that time would not find it strange to be removed from her home by a total stranger and ordered to live in a shed in a backyard without contact to the outside world and have sex with this man and give birth to children while she herself was still a child. How can an 11 year old not have enough brain to figure out that something is wrong with that scenario? And to live under these conditions for 18 years? What about when she got older, didn't she remember things like school, neighbors, friends, TV and anything else about the 11 years prior to her abduction? I'm sorry, but this person must be completely braindead. Unless she thought her new life in the backyard of this stranger was better than her old life with her parents and she stayed there voluntarily.

August 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  7. Melissa Kay

She is one strong woman!

August 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  8. Jenny Gilhaus

As someone said earlier, there is no way you can compare Elizabeth Smart to Jaycee. I was also surprise when they asked Elizabeth's opinion. If she would have been held captive for many years and had given birth by her captors, then she might be able to say something.

My heart and prayers go out to Jaycee, her children and the rest of her family.

August 28, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  9. Melissa Kay

I agree with Ken-Ken!!

August 28, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  10. rosemarie salair

sheriff Rupf says missed opportunity when he went to the house. How many opportunities must have been right under their noses. Let's have the Governor of California get rid of all these so called law enforcement. Disgraceful place to live with uncaring people and the worst neighbors who could ignore a little girl behind a fence in a deplorable back yard and not call 911. If you were wrong so what, If you were right you would have saved them years of horror for Jaycee and her children. You had to have heard some noise perhaps crying and chose not to do anything. What a horrible town. Horrible people living there. Shame on you Let's stop interviewing this rotten apple and his wife and get a quick life sentence for them both. Governor take note, no parole.

August 28, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  11. Vern Beard

One of society's problems all over the world is that there is no way to police sick minded people. So many of them are conniving and adept at masking their true nature. For that reason, it is more and more incumbert for each of us who to speak up when we have reason to believe that something is afowl. Though we may never be able to deter all the violence and sick acts resulting from these despictable individuals, we might save a few individuals from harm.

I know that it is disappointing when we report something to authorities and they half-heartedly investigate but don't let us give up fighting when we feel strongly about the individual's guilt. A successful example of this is the sentencing of a man in Waco yesterday to 160 years in prison after reports of child molestation and rape which seemed to be taken lightly. It took 2 trials but in the end justice was served against this man who raped a minor under the age of ten repeatedly for years.

August 28, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  12. laura

I think this situation proves once again that, once a sex offender, always a sex offender. This is not something people are cured from or grow out of. If you wires were crossed early in your life either through abuse you yourself witnessed or experienced, or through a mental health issue, it's not going to go away. If someone is attracted to small children like a normal human would be attracted to an adult around their own age, you are not going to cure this person of this perversion through therapy, drugs, or even castration. Their minds are permanently screwed up. I love how we actually have a Level 3 Sex Offender list and one of the criteria is that the offender is likely to offend again! Why the **** would you let this person out of jail again? It's like everyone knows these people are not cured, that they are still a menace and danger to us, and yet the law allows a release in some cases through parole or term of sentence. That's why no kids play in neighborhoods on their bikes anymore, you have "indoor playgrounds" which are essentially the neighborhood playgrounds we grew up playing in except indoors where parents can keep a secure and close eye on their kids, why I panic when I lose site of my children for a moment in the mall or a fair and why neither the kids nor I get quality time away from each other day while they happily play outside alone by themselves (too dangerous). Look what is around us people! I say Level 3 – NEVER out of jail, no GPS, no parole, no house arrest, NEVER.

August 28, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  13. Shannon Las Vegas nv

Im not sure how the Psychopaths always have something to say about god and higher powers....that tells us something doesnt it? I hope they ROT in jail No insanity plea NOTHING just ROT.

August 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  14. Lily

Miranda, What are you talking about ? What two girls are you
    referring to ? Are you even commenting on the correct story ?

August 28, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  15. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

I swear... if I had the opportunity of having one minute in a room with this man, I would surely kill him. Messing up with children shows that you should not be allowed to be called a human being. When I see news like this one, I wish I could afford living in an island with my family, far, far away from this terrible world.
    I've been crying since I heard about this girl, astonished, perplexed and I can't help but feel hopeless. Her years of being held captive, her innocence taken away, her whole life changed because of this freak.
    God bless... I'm out of words.

August 28, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  16. Sally

For heavens sake, this poor girl and her family. May the good Lord wrap his loving arms around each one of them. I am a mother and CAN NOT wrap my brain around these types of stories. This man and his wife ARE the devil. For the love of God people, if they do not get what they deserve in this lifetime you can bet that they will in the next! Bank on that one! To this girls Mother and Step- Father we will say prayers that you will be set free from the "living hell" that you have suffered here on this earth.....those are the only words that come to me when I think of any child being taken from thier parents. It must just be the closest thing to hell on earth. Now FOCUS & PRAY on each moment, put your energy into the future, not the past. God Bless this girls Mother, how on this earth she EVER was able to stay in her right mind who knows, if she didn't who in their right mind could blame her??? God comfort this women the women the rest of her life....

August 28, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  17. Karen Hartley

While I do belive this is disturbing. I do not think we need to rehash the whole justice system. While some offenders do go back out into society to reoffened . There are some that do not. There are some that are innocent.
    There are a series of errors in this case. It is not one mistake but many. Where do we as Americans draw a line in the sand and say "That's it". We are done with you. We have the largest prison population in the world . Yet , It does not detour people from commiting crimes. I heard people say today "Build more prisions". Yet , They don't want to spend the money to do this and they say "Not in my back yard".
    Where do we become responable as a country ? We can no longer sweep issues under the rug. We have real issues to deal with. But no one can agree on what we should do. So we do nothing. Then when something like this happens .People demand action. Laws are passed without thought to the consequencies of these actions. We give more of our rights up everyday.and think nothing of it.
    While I do belive these people deserve prision time and belive they should not be allowed to walk among us ever again. I do not want them to pay with thier lives. That is up to a higher power to decide.
    My prayers go out to the family of this young woman and her childern. They will need it. I hope the country will aford her the rights to health care for her and her children . We all know they will need it.
    See how that debate is going lately?

August 28, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  18. Melissa

I remember when Jaycee was abducted like it was yesterday. My Grandparents had a home in South Lake Tahoe approximately 2 miles from the abduction site. I was there that summer visiting with my mother. I was nine years old. I remember how upset the town was and how scared my mother was that summer. I was not allowed to be outside alone. I still own the tshirt with her picture on it that I gave up my allowance money for. I have never forgotten her or her parents pleas on the television. When I heard about this yesterday, I couldn't help but cry with happiness. Yet, I am sad for Jaycee and all that she went through. I can't imagine what I would have done in that situation. I hope that she and her family can find peace and healing from this terrible ordeal.

August 28, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  19. Alyzabeth

It's amazing the secrets some people are able to keep even though the signs are there.

August 28, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  20. carol jones

sick sick sick is what him and his wife are.what shame for the family they destroyed. the wife is no victim in this at all nor should we in any way excuse them and allow them to step out and walk among us

August 28, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  21. Miranda

Wow all I can say is that people are SICK, and being in this clut state of mind God himself will punish this man and his wife.

As far as what happend with two girls did the police just give up looking for them, I f that were my kids I would look night and day and hire a gruop of posseys and/or a group effort!!

Miranda

August 28, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  22. Jim

What I want to know is WHO did NOT do theirJOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- Garrido took 18 years
    of Jaycee's life UNDER the VERY NOSES of those who should have put him away for life or executed him LONG ago and who are SUPPOSED
    to PROTECT the public from people like this. There is NO EXCUSE for letting this happen.Outraged is a SEVERE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  23. Michele

I just posed. In my previous comment, I didn't wish to say that Elizabeth Smart was intentionally being insensitive to what must have been the ordeal of Jaycee Dugard.I realize that Elizabeth Smart is very young and naieve. But I do feel that CNN airing Elizabeth Smart's advice on how Jaycee Dugard should cope with her tragedy ("She should not dwell on her ordeal and should just move on) was insensitive and insulting to what Jaycee Dugard must have experienced.

August 28, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  24. sharon, sydney, ns

If this guy claims insanity, will he get off? He's got one scary mind!!

August 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  25. Michele

I saw the interview Anderson Cooper gave to Ed and Elizabeth Smart. I was very upset to see Elizabeth Smart being asked to give her expert advice on how Jaycee Dugard should cope with the ordeal that she suffered for 18 years. While Elizabeth Smart did suffer from her nine month ordeal, I don't feel that she has any insight to speak on behalf of how Jaycee should cope with her tragedy. Elizabeth Smart was in captivity for nine months not eighteen years...And she did not bear children from her captor as did Jaycee Dugard. I understand that Elizabeth Smart is very young. But her saying that Jaycee Dugard should just not dwell on what she went through and just move on...was lacking in sensitivity and any comprehension of the magtitude of Jaycee's eighteen year ordeal, which includes children from her captor. I found that quite insensitive and trivializing to what must have been the experience of Jaycee Dugard.

August 28, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  26. rosemarie salair

Regarding Jaycee Dugard, shame on this entire town and inept police department. Not pursing as a town to find out what was really going on under your noses. Where are the nosy neighbors for 18 years, what if this was your child missing. Bravo to the people who finally discovered the truth. Fire the entire California town police and Blessings and love to Jaycee and her family to heal and move on from this horror. Would never want to hear from any of these town people who did too little to help. No comments needed from them. Shame on you all. There surely was much more you could have and should have done. Now u need to live with the disgrace that you didn't care enough.

August 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  27. janette tx

@ 6cats
    I agree but there's something really strange about both
    abductions and I'm not referring to the aductors.

August 28, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  28. Ken-Ken

Their Family is a very Blessing, after 18 years she is still alive many kids go missing and never come back.

This is One of Gods Miracle

God Bless This Family!!

August 28, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  29. 6cats

I hope this man and his wife rot in prison; under NO circumstances should they ever be free to roam the streets again. I also hope Anderson Cooper figures out the difference between Elizabeth Smart's 9-month abduction and Jaycee Dugard's 18-YEAR sentence during which she was forced to give birth to her captor's two children–while the 3 of them were denied medical care and education. I feel terribly sorry for both young women, but these two experiences are NOT the same. I wish Jaycee Dugard and her family peace and a safe place to heal.

August 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm |