August 28th, 2009

About our show

Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Weeknights, 10 ET

JOIN: LIVE BLOG Weeknights 10p ET

Filed under: 360° Radar • T1
  1. James

Anderson:
    I find it baffling that the issue of torture it is not understood by the press. I recognize the old saying of do as I say not as I do. We the U.S. just deported a German guard for following orders, and jailed or put to death the Japanese for waterboarding our soldiers. The treaties we have and our own laws against it make it very clear. Many in the CIA refused to do it. I think any criminal would love to not look back at what they have done. However the rule of law is quit clear. If we don't have the stomach for it give to the international courts to enforce. If it is found that Cheney or Bush ordered it, so be it !
    If the law does not apply to them why should anyone obey the law.
    No rationalization, a war criminal is a war criminal.

August 30, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  2. James

Anderson:
    I find it baffling that the issue of torture it is not understood by the press. I recognize the old saying of do as I say not as I do. We the U.S. just deported a German guard for following orders, and jailed or put to death the Japanese for waterboarding our soldiers. The treaties we have and our own laws against it make it very clear. Many in the CIA refused to do it. I think any criminal would love to not look back at what they have done. However the rule of law is quit clear. If we don't have the stomach for it, give to the international courts to enforce. If it is found that Cheney or Bush ordered it, so be it !
    If the law does not apply to them why should anyone obey the law.
    No rationalization, a war criminal is a war criminal.

August 30, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  3. judy maldonado

Thank you so much for the fantastic coverage to Mr. Ted Kennedys service.
    I watched it from the beginning to the end. I too come from a large family and Mr. Kennedy was more than just a senator. He is and one of us. I stayed planted on the recliner and watched it all. I believe that the letter that was written and delivered by President Obama was written with sound mind and extreme courage and the reply was just as pronounced. You call it what you will, but your camera crewmen had faced the camera and you could see the Bugleman standing in the darkness but in the sky was the most intense flash of lighting. Mr. Kennedys' soul and spirit was recieved and the lighting was the sign.
    I was overwhelmed and won't probably ever forget this service, as i do remember his brothers.
    Again thank you for an incredible day.

August 30, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Mary

Very true and this is why we turn into AC360 so we can make up our own minds, our own opinions and think for ourselves. Can America stop force feeding us on other news trying to bend our will to popularity. Does the US know what we came from, what we stand for, what our ancestors fought to give to all prosperity?

August 30, 2009 at 12:47 am |
  5. Marnie

Could you do a report from Senator Kennedy's Washington Senate office before it is dismantled? A mention was made of a room where he had memoribilia. I'd also like to see where he sat on the senate floor.

August 30, 2009 at 12:39 am |
  6. Paula Leinen

Please advise what you need in regard to awaiting comment moderation

August 30, 2009 at 12:35 am |
  7. Paula Leinen

Dear Anderson,
    Thank you for the wonderful coverage of Senator Kennedy's final tribute. As a Catholic and public school teacher for nearly 30 years, I am thankful for the honest, heartfelt images that CNN gave us.

Yet as a Mother who loves her children as much as he did, I can't help commenting on the lightning strikes we all saw at the graveside services for Teddy.

As dusk and darkness came, the Priest so appropriately mentioned the end of day, as does the end of life. But when I saw the lightning, I couldn't help thinking that one last time Teddy was sending a message to his family that he loved their tribute, and wanted to add light to the darkness. He wanted his grandchildren to have the chance to express their love for him. He wanted them to know that he would always be there for them, even from heaven.

Please let me know if you agree. I would send the same message to my children, always assuring them I loved them.

Sincerely, Paula Leinen

August 30, 2009 at 12:20 am |
  8. Katharine Brooks

I have been watching your coverage of Teddy Kennedy Remembered. Prior to the buriel service a comment was made that there would not be a 21 gun salute. During the service, there was a tribute where seven guns fired three times. What is the difference between a 21 gun salute and the tribute paid at the service of Senator Kennedy?

Thanks for explaining.

August 29, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  9. carole

Why has noone mentioned ted's other brother joe also buried at arlington cemetary? 4 brothers ot 3!

August 29, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  10. Lambal

Hai Anderson,
    i enjoy looking to your show and some times i have stay awake even do i need to work the next day very early.Anderson i have recieved a disturbing mail that cant go out of my head daily its just killing me and i need your help . This is about a group of people or a society a cording to mail ,some where in tailand thy schluted a man ,butured him into pieses and eating this human flesh,and thay look praud of what they did . Would mine if i can send you the mail in ditail to make a picture of it yourself.Please notify me if you can help me un this matter that gives me less sleep ,but i want to be ananum.All the best .
    Lambal

August 29, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  11. Karen

Hi there, how does the name "Ted or Teddy" come from Senator Edward Moore Kennedy come from. Was it an affectionate name from Teddy Bear – or from his fathers admiration of the late President Theordore Roosevelt.
    I was searching and can't find the answer, I would think Ed or Eddie is from Edward.
    Thanks,

August 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  12. Cristina Briano

In the eighties, I had the opportunity to take a couple, Esperanza and Ruben who were farmworkers, to testify at Senator Kennedy's hearings on hunger in San Francisco. He was a caring, amiable person as I remember. Shorty afterwards, at Thanksgiving, my clients who lived in sub standard living quarters and had no money to buy the food for Thanksgiving for their nine children, said they got a knock on the door. When they openned it, a group of caterers came in with silver platter filled with turkey and other delicacies and served them a wonderful Thanksgiving feast. This was compliments of Senator Kennedy. Two years after that, they received the same feast. They also received a wonderful, warm letter from the Senator. He was truly the face of the "dream and hope" for a more just and equal America and he was loved by all us us little people who were lucky enough to cross his path.

August 29, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  13. Karen P

AC please keep the professor from LSU in the news. Growing up along the coast, Pensacola, it was common knowledge NO levees have not been considered safe in my fifty years of life. I live in MS and my home became the Little Easy during Katrina. I am so fortunate that I could shelter some friends from Katrina. There are still too many untold truths about Katrina and the devestation of that horrific tragedy. Thank you for not deserting the beautiful city I grew up enjoying and still enjoy. Please, please don't give up on what has to be one of the most amazing city's on the planet. Keep her story alive and help make it a safer place for all who love her. Thank you for caring.

August 29, 2009 at 2:37 am |
  14. miss_kitty

i haven;t seen the katrina bit. if another hurricane that big ever cmes thrugh i would think better transport ut on thse superwide lnes on the hwy would be the cae.et nase snapshot the thing. or cnn buy a super duper tele lens.

i can;t believe some unrecal named actes actualy though to hang around for the thing.

what ever.

?
    ?
    ?
    Klondike bar

August 29, 2009 at 2:05 am |
  17. Bharath

I am sure there are many viewers who like AC360 just the way it is. But I would rather see AC360 focus only on "Keeping them (Politicians & Businessmen) Honest". Stories related to reality shows or the people in it doesn't fit in & is a distraction.

August 29, 2009 at 1:53 am |
  18. Rico

I am a frequent viewer of your show but have been very frustrated with your inadequate reporting lately on the Michael Jackson case. You often have these so-called experts on who are doing nothing but proving their ignorance as soon as they open their mouths for camera time. The word 'addict' is being thrown around so grossly. Did MJ develop high tolerance and some addiction to prescription meds over the years due to his past injuries? Yes, but as I said from the start, that IS NOT what killed him! I'm no medical expert and yet even I know it was the Diprivan. And now my common sense has been proven to be fact! It's about time you get your reporting in alignment with truth.

Look at the timeline of the meds given to Michael. All used to try to get him to sleep. Those aren't the type of drugs one would use to feed an addiction. The bottom line is the man was a genius and had a problem shutting off his genius mind for sleep. Unfortunately he didn't get the right help for his problem and ultimately paid the price for being at such a level.

Look at history. Insomnia was a common downside of some of human-kinds greatest geniuses. In time my words will once again be proven right. It sure would be nice if you guys, who I'm sure take yourselves as the utmost of professional journalists, would finally get it right and report THE TRUTH!

August 29, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  19. David, Indiana

Thank you Erica and John Zarella for the coverage of the night launch of Space Shuttle Discovery. Caught me by surprise, and amazing to see.

August 29, 2009 at 12:25 am |