August 27th, 2009

Tonight: Text 360°

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/08/art.text360.jpg]

AC360°

Anderson is anchoring from New Orleans tonight where he’s talking to locals about what the city is like today, four years after Hurricane Katrina devastated the area.

Some residents continue to face challenges as the Big Easy keeps trying to rebuild. Anderson also goes ona tour of the city with CNN political contributor and New Orleans native James Carville.

Douglas Brinkley and James Carville will be on tonight with Anderson. Do you have a question? Let us know!

Send us a text message with your question. Text AC360 (or 22360), and you might hear it on air!

Filed under: T1 • Text 360
  1. Daniel Munn

im a NOLA native, thanks anderson for returning – i wish more reporters would come back and show how far we have progressed!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Keli

They ought to step up and re-build like all other states have in the past without years and years of bringing it up and expecting people to come from all over to take care of it for them..

In other states, people ban together and just get it done! It takes time and hard work, but why is New Orleans so special that they shouldn't have to do the same? Other States barely get coverage anymore and teh media is gone shortly afterward while neighbors get together and help each other. Then you rarely hear of that area again.

Enough with New Orleans! They've received a billion or more times the aid and help and freebies than the rest of the hurricane stricken areas total together. Move on already.

August 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

Looking forward to program tonight. I have friends in NOLA and am interested in seeing how things look down there so I can understand what all they are still experiencing.

August 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Roberto de dallas

I thinking you a verrrrryyyy hottttttttttttttt Anderson come to Brazil!!!

August 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  5. Mike Armstrong TX.

Has the leveis been repaird enough to withstand a category four hurrican and if not why.

August 27, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  6. KIm

What do you think about the schools ? It was impressive to see the progress.

August 27, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  7. Miriam Cooper, NY

Hi Anderson,

Nice to know you will be anchoring from New Orleans !!!
    I wonder whether the hurricane alone is the reason for so many homes loss. If you see there is a massive river running close to the city.
    1. At any point of time when you are living near a 'natural seep' you WILL HAVE fluctuation in water level.
    If you look at countries from middle east moving towards Burma and the other side, usually homes will have 'drinking water' wells which are natural seeps. When I say 'natural seep', they have 5ft-by-5ft rims of cement with small square cut around. Once you reach the natural water level, these rims of approximate 2 feet (depending upon the size of the home) will be dropped into the well. Then an one inch gap of mud is left and then the next rim is dropped. You keep dropping these rims till you reach our walking ground level and then cement is constructed around it and for child safety there is a metal covering still taking care of natural sunlight so mosquitoes dont breed. What happens now is, as the water level which can be a natural seep or when it rains, the ground starts to loosen up and water level rises. Sometimes you will obviously see water running from the mud slides and also the small slits in the cement rim. As water rises, you will notice that it will change daily. Sometimes during bad summer these wells are dry. Usually they try to fill these 'natural well' with water that comes by tanks the size of fire engines, but again since it is not a natural water formation soon the water will run down and be sucked by the sand and in a day or two, the water bought by truck-loads will run down. So much for 'natural seepage' of water.
    Now, if you see most of the pictures, the level of water is the same as the level in the river. Which means, there is a natural seep underneath these houses. As the water spread out from the river, it should have gone to the sand below the homes and hence it has reached the same height as the river. See, the level of water is the same throughout the area. I can understand a feet of water or even two. This looks like water that has come from the basement or through the front door and must have filled the hall and basement. But, natural water cannot be stopped !!! I think going forward the foundation of the homes need to be watched. Tell me something, the school is fine. Everyone is moved to the school because it is brick and I wont be surprised if the foundation is bricks too. I think whatever we apply for schools we need to apply for homes too. Either brick surrounding with concrete (sand + gravel + cement) for foundation. Also we need to focus on 'load bearing wall'. Usually there will be a cement pillar that will hold the main load of the upper level. We dont see that in our homes – there will be 'load bearing' walls with iron roads to further strengthen the homes. Now that we know the layout of the water that has spread out during hurricane , we should be able to know that these place WILL seep natural water whatever may happen. I am not sure whether I am right, but I think there are some people who have (I think !!!) some magnetic field in them. Then can sense water and they tend to move in a very eratic manner when there is a water seepage below several feet of water. I think I have seem something to this extent when I was small, but there are people who have this 'something' in their body that can sense water beneath the ground and tend to shiver and shake when they reach these places. These people should be able to tell us about where there is water. Only after they tell us usually 'natural wells' are drilled in other countries. We might want to figure out whether this concept is true !!!

August 27, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  8. Chiana (Canada)

I was wondering if they will use DNA testing to positively identify her. I think somebody could easily be convinced they are the missing woman – hypnosis or just thru emotional manipulation. Certainly hope it is Jaycee, but I want them to be careful. It would be very wrenching emotionally to think they have her back and lose her again.

August 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  9. miguel morales

how do the young one's feel about all the new ways of life, real life -not just in the classroom? I want to see it from their perspective. How are the family networks? Are they living in fear or is fear not a thought or feeling to them?

August 27, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  10. Andrea Bowers

I just heard Rockwell Collins in closing its San Jose Plant. 600 more people out of work in 2 months. A couple of months ago it was HP. I will watch the New Orleans segment but my mind will be on local events. I hope you can look at these massive layoffs happening in every company in Silicon Valley. The don't seem to be making news.

August 27, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  11. Desiree

Be safe

August 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  12. Anthony Ching

Wow. What an interesting 'turn of events'. I'll be watching the show tonight. Thanks

August 27, 2009 at 4:23 pm |