August 27th, 2009

Photo Gallery: AC and James Carville tour New Orleans

AC360°

Anderson is anchoring from New Orleans tonight where he reports on how locals are coping four years after Hurricane Katrina devastated the area. Some residents continue to face challenges as the Big Easy keeps trying to rebuild. Earlier today, Anderson met up with CNN Political Contributor and New Orleans native James Carville for a tour of the city. Check out this photo gallery of where they stopped.

Anderson and James Carville sit down at a Pascal Manale's restaurant in New Orleans.

Anderson meets a New Orleans resident who tells him she's glad he came back and shares her own story.

Outside of Pascal Manale's restaurant.

Anderson and James Carville make a stop at Freret Street Gym.

Inside Freret Street Gym, James Carville shows Anderson how high the water rose during Hurricane Katrina.

A close-up of the water line inside Freret Street Gym.

Inside Freret Street Gym, Anderson talks to the president of Loyola University New Orleans, Rev. Kevin Wildes.

Program Note: Four years after Katrina, what is New Orleans like now? Some residents continue to face challenges as the Big Easy keeps trying to rebuild. Take a look at In Depth: After the Storm. And to learn about ways you can make a difference, visit Impact Your World.

1. richsottilaro

I sincerely wish I was personally and financially capable to go down there and help out. I Blame Georgie W and Brownie and others for the abuses of our fellow Americans!! I am a musician and this is where our country's first true music came from!! Glad to see the small organizations and Brad Pitt helping to turn things around! The people of New Orleans deserve it!! I consider this to be a black mark on the great nation. A true measure of country's greatness is not found in it's wealth or power it measured on how it treats it's people. We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world but this disaster puts that into perspective!! Thank you James Carville for moving back it is a big boast to the people of that great city!1

rich

August 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  2. GD

Brinkley abandoned New Orleans for the bat bridge in Austin. His comments are not welcome in New Orleans and neither is he. CNN could certainly have interviewed a current resident, in addition to James Carville, with a local perspective on our recovery. Brinkley cut and ran, let him go quietly into the night.

August 27, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  3. Bobbya

My brother lives in New Orleans and yes it has been long road to progress for everyone. Mr. Anderson, I live in Biloxi and was there for the storm, please for everyone's sake here and the countries sake to understand the damage of this storm, before you leave, ride through Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian and Waveland Ms. and let the world see how really bad they were hit, that's where the eye came in. Anderson we deserve the exposure we have been fighting to get back and you would do yourself an injustice as well as the country. Please don't forget us in Mississippi. Thank You!
    Bobbya

August 27, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  4. K.Grengs

We are rebuilding on Freret St. post K. We are committed to returning to the area and being a part of the social fabric of this city. Driving piles as we tweet!
    Ya'll come visit real soon!

August 27, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  5. Carole Schaefers Good Shield

and HEY–it's NOT "Pascal Manale's"; It's PASCAL's MANALE restaurant.

Look at the sign, fer cryin' out loud!

August 27, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  6. Carole Schaefers Good Shield

Anderson:

Thank you so much for this piece on New Orleans. After attending college there from 1971-1975, I remained until 1993 when I moved permanently to the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota.
    I brought my husband down there in 2003, and have been able to reconnect with some of my dear friends–but lost some, and lost track of many more.

Hey–I used to hang out on Freret, shopping and eating and having fun...

I used to work at Pascal's Manale, and was afraid to check on the status of that wonderful New Orleans institution. Your being there brought tears to my eyes.

Mr. Carville is correct: New Orleans is not just the buildings, but it is a culture made of little bits of this ethnic group and that history and art and food and, oh, the music...Perhaps someday, now, I will be a bit less afraid to return.

Bless you.

August 27, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  7. Mark K

Could it be that the be that the "Lego Levy" system Mr. Brinkley referenced in tonight's broadcast be caused by the "good 'ol boy" political funds appropriation climate in LA ??

August 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  8. Lana , Tx.

Glad you are shining the light on NO. Sure would be nice for someone to remember Galveston!!! You know we had a hurricane there last year and no one seems to care. I guess they think because we are Texans we take care of ourselves. We dont get all the spotlight like other places.

We had some towns that only had one house left standing and devastation everywhere. Guess we Texans will have to just take care of it alone!! Come take a tour of the Texas coast. Maybe we should just raise more hell and someone might listen.

August 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  9. Karran Royal

Thank you for focusing on our progress. I live in Gentiilly, we had about 10 feet of water and I am very proud to say that there aren't any FEMA trailers left on my street and we are about 75% back. We have a new Catholic High School built after the storm and a public high school due to open in December. We still have more work to do, but I can definitely say that a lot has been accomplished when you consider the bureaucracy that we have had to live with.

New Orleans, proud to call it home1

August 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

It amazes me to see AC back to NOLA. While most anchors are busy trying to get news everywhere, he is showing the power of being part of something bigger... all over again.
    After being part of a hurricane furious power myself, I know how much it hurts to talk about it. NOLA people show the power of rebirth.

August 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Shirley Poole

Hi Anderson and James,

I hope you toured the 9th ward. It is pretty messed up down there. So few homes left and many people still living in the same homes as before Katrina. I saw it first hand when I was there on August 13th-August 16th.

Spoke with a family who lost everything they owned including their family dog. The greatest part of their story was that their entire family of 13 were alive. The hardest part for them was getting the new very slowly about family members alive.

Lots of work still to be done down there, the progress in building is slow and sad. One of the Contractors told me that the hardest thing for him is going to work every day and seeing the progress moving very slowly and people still out there without a home.

August 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  12. JPW

Is Anderson pronouncing Jaycee right? I have a niece named Jacy and it rhymes with Macy (like the department store, with the emphasis on the first syllable). Not with the emphasis on the second syllable, as if you were referring to someone by initials, J.C.

August 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  13. biketwit

Great story and pictures...would like some more info on the folks who have done humanitarian work down there and how that's coming along, and how folks can help now.

August 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Joyce in Ky.

AC great coverage of news tonight. I am disappointed at the commerical that is airing that in my opinion is a complete distortion of the health reform bills in Congress and an insult to the memory of Senator Ted Kennedy and his fight for health reform. I know there is freedom to advertise but seems it could have been placed more delicately. But your show has been great! You always do a super job.

August 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Michelle Fischer- Lafayette IN

Anderson,

Great shots! And, as always, great reporting! Thanks 4 the ride and taking me "along 4 the ride"! I loved it!

Awesome Job!

360 Fan,

Michelle (o:

August 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Cathy R,McCluskey

Anderson,

August 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Billy Brown

It was one of my pre-bucket list dreams to visit Mardi Gra in the French Quarters and go berserk with booze and women before I get too old to enjoy it. I retired early and was looking forward to planning some vacation spots like nawlins, but then Katrina and then FEMA and others under President Bush made matters even worse. Will it ever be back to the vibrant, place ya wanna be, ever again?

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. gretchen

Hi Anderson,I hope you have a good time in New Orleans. I had the best red beans and rice and crawfish etoufee when I was there.You can't get that any better than New Orleans. Also I'm so glad that New Orleans will not be forgotten.

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Ann - Ontario, Canada

Glad that NOLA is back in the news. My son was born Sept 4/05 so I remember this week vividly.

The kidnapping story is horrendous. I am a parent of 2 pre-school age kids. Every parent's nightmare. Not sure it is a heartwarming story...

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  20. carol

Anderson, Are you going to check out the Mississippi Gulf Coast, where Katrina actually came ashore?

August 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Eugenia San Francisco

Ok, Italian Creole! Oh my goodness, I hope was good. I would love know what they had on the menu!

August 27, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  22. brandi---

nice polo!!!! 🙂
    wasn't going to say anything, but it's killing me... since ac has become my new found inspiration, i'm trying to be just like him, say whatever is in my head.... 🙂
    Have a good time!

August 27, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  23. Scott McLetchie

Anderson, thank you for your continued coverage of New Orleans and our struggles to rebuild. We appreciate how you keep us in the nation's memory. And thanks for visiting my neighborhood, right around Freret St.!

August 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  24. riza

ac360 is a serious business. . .frankly sometimes i just couldn't follow and when u go to a lighter mood like posting pictures it really make my day. . . thanks so much. . . maybe because i'm more of a fan of the man named anderson cooper. .he. .he. . not the issues per se. . but of course it's alright coz am able to know what's going on around us. . excellent. . .

August 27, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  25. Karen

James Carville, what a joke.

August 27, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Anderson and James!!!
    Nice guys!!!! I love cool picture downtown New Orleans!!! You are really cool anchor! I am really appreciate what you guys are helping each other after the storm! 🙂 Enjoy your days in New Orleans, Louisiana! Take care, Anderson.....
    (P.S. I am back live blog tonight.)

August 27, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  27. Laura

So what? who cares? Im so sick of hearing about tipsy Ted Kennedy, he was a drunken murderer. It took way tooooo long for him to get where he is at now

August 27, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

The still photos are great–thanks for posting them. I'm looking forward to your New Orleans tour.

August 27, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  29. Annie Kate

Great pictures. I'm looking forward to the tour with James Carville – being a resident there I'm sure he knows a lot of stories to tell and he always does that in such colorful ways.

August 27, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  30. Bobbie Rodney

Oh, I forgot. You are right on about Heidy. Can you believe she got paid for that "performance"?

August 27, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  31. Lisa Chicago, Ill

Hello, Anderson. Hope you're having a good trip in New Orleans. See you got the photos up. I must say, you're looking really good in them. ;D Hope you get back safely.

August 27, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  32. Bobbie Rodney

Thank-you so much for keeping this most horrible of disasters in peoples minds. So much news is limited to a sound bites, and the people unaffected by Katrina either forget or lose interest. After four years, we should be seeing more improvement for the people of New Orleans. Where do we lay the blame? Well... there's plenty to go around. Whats more important, is the resilency of the people who call "The Big Easy" home, for they are the ones bringing the city back to life. I love this place. No other city in the world compares.
    Let's remember all those who lost thier lives in the rising waters, and hope that all those who were displaced, can find thier way back home.

August 27, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  33. Sandra Robertson, GA

@Eva, it's not as hot in New Orleans as it has been. It cooled off down south this week, thank goodness, since the hard work goes on and on.

August 27, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  34. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Amazing pictures! I read that while some parts of New Orleans are substantially safer, others have changed little and there is danger of flooding.

It will be interesting to have the analysis of AC 4 years later and 'participate', somewhat, this tour with AC and James Carville.

August 27, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  35. Sandra Robertson, GA

Hello Anderson and James. I look forward to your report from New Orleans tonight and hearing from the good people who have worked hard to rebuild life in the Big Easy. I thank you and James for being there and remembering the living and the lost. Take care.

August 27, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  36. Laura

Wonderful job Anderson (and CNN), it is so easy to see why so many people admire you. Thanks for keeping it real.

August 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  37. Anna

It's wonderful to see New Orleans in the news and no folks better than AC and JC to bring us an update. I was in New Orleans just days before Katrina hit and when I saw places I went to devestated, it was heartbreaking. New Orleans now and forever!

LAISSEZ LE BONS TEMPS ROULER!

August 27, 2009 at 7:02 pm |
  38. Grundy Jones

i am glad that all the men and women who left their every day life to go to new orleans and work with fema and other contractors under the fema tree were paid accordeningly to agreement. however in the city of houston texas it is hurican season again and the workers who went to that cityand worked with the blue top program still has not been paid.i really feel bad to say for me and many others we were used and robbed and the state will not help us in getting our due wages form the big companines like crown roofing and R L H who were paid millions , i only wish that the men and women who actually did the work could get paidbefore another storm hit

August 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  39. Eva Collins

Nice pictures.. damn you look hot Mr. Anderson

August 27, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  40. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

It'd be really nice if you ran into my Aunt Laura Jones while you are there. She's a Professor at one of the universities there.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

August 27, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  41. Debbie Wiltse

What happened to the people that were going to be evicted from their FEMA trailers and had nowhere to go? Were they evicted and where are they now?

August 27, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  42. Mary St. Germain

As a native of New Orleans, I am always a bit dismayed when I re-visit the city to find many areas look as though Katrina happened only weeks rather than years ago. The touristy areas – CBD and French Quarter have been come back very nicely. I have to wonder though when the rest of the city will return to its former glory.

August 27, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  43. lisa

Don't forget Treme area sort of a success story Lil Dizzy's great food , its down the street from Port o Call

August 27, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  44. Diane N.

Cool photos! Looking forward to the report.

August 27, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  45. Janine from PA.

I'm wondering, has this administration and congress done anything lately in the rebuilding of NOLA? Don't think I've heard anything. And I'm wondering, what did they order at the restaurant? Looks like there's good food there.

August 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Excellent photos! Pascal Manale's looks like a lovely restaurant. So did Anderson and James work out at Freret Street Gym?

I wish Anderson would update us on the people he met back during Katrina, like Herbert Gettridge, Ms. Connie, and Pauline Conaway.

I am looking forward to the show tonight and seeing the tour!

August 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  47. Vicky, Ottawa

Looks like it was quite a tour. Nice to see the pictures. Guessing that you must have been uptown or in the garden district. From the height of the water in the gym, would seem you're maybe somewhere near South Claiborne Ave - It's amazing how far the water came in, and how far from Lake Ponchatrain. It's really impressive that AC360 is in New Orleans today and tonight, especially given the other pressures there might have been to stay in New York or be in the Boston area due to the death of Senator Kennedy.

August 27, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  48. Lilibeth

Thanks for these photos. It's nice that James Carville, a NOLA native, is on hand to give a tour. I can't wait to see more of NOLA on the show tonight.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 27, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  49. Faye

Thank you! I couldn't understand what the attraction was to Spencer & Heidi. I thought that everyone else's brain had gone soft on these people. I couldn't understand how people could be so interested in them. Why are they considered actors they are truly not worth the time and energy. Thank you, my faith has been restored in some of humanity.

August 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  50. Brandi - bottom of the boot

nice to see you back in nawlins'. 😀 they still have lots to do.

August 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm |