August 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/27/09

Tonight the body of Sen. Ted Kennedy lies in repose at the John F. Kennedy Library. Thousands of people streamed past his flag-draped casket to pay their final respects; the public viewing will continue tomorrow.

We’ll also have the latest on the stunning ending to an 18-year cold case. In 1991, 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard was kidnapped as she walked to her school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, California. Yesterday, an FBI agent called her parents to tell them she’d been found.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. ericacnn

I've turned into a big helmet fan. I figure I can't make my son wear one and not follow the same rule... and, frankly, I have a lot more living to do so I'd like to enjoy my time. (stepping off helmet soapbox now)

August 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. megan - orange county, ca

This whole swine flu thing kind of scares me since I am a substitute teacher and in different classrooms and schools everyday!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Good Night Everyone!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Joseph Orsi RI

I'm new and I love Anderson. He know's how to engage the viewer, kudos to CNN on the Katrina coverage.

August 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Have a good night everyone. "Tomorrow is another day!"

August 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Glad to see that New Orleans is on the mend, but I can't believe that they have not adequately fixed the levees. That should have been their first priority.

August 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Jacqueline, NY

Ooooh, no helmet just like Anderson.

August 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Dodie ~ California

Why not have classes through the internet for the next couple months. Or at least give the parents that option.

August 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

My son, 3 years, learned that have to pass the alcohol gel on your hands! 🙂

August 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!
    Watch out for Tropical Danny!!!!!!!!
    Erica,
    Have a great night and sleep tight!
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

August 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. teresa

can any one comment on rebuilding of hospital system.
    every time i hear about NOLA its about closing needed health services.

teresa,
    school of public health TULANE, living in MACAU

August 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Dodie ~ California

Sad that if a category 4 storm hits New Orleans again, it will be flooded as before.

I certainly hope, that will change soon

August 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Ramona, Jackson, MS

Glad to see your coverage of NOLA. My father lives in East New Orleans. I was just there about 3 wks ago and it was so good to see all the progress in that area since Katrina. With each visit since Dec 2009, I see the changes and it's all good.

August 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. ericacnn

Gary Tuchman is the man 🙂 Fasincating story. I'm interested to learn what the FBI investigation turns up.

On an up-note, Shamarr Allen and the Underdawgs are fantastic... and all this talk of good food is killing me!

August 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

I love James Carville's excitement. He seems to be right at home.

Anderson, you really enjoy being back in New Orleans.

August 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

New Orleans has flooded dozens of times in it's history. It will flood again. Rebuilding a city below sea level is just dumb. They should have moved to higher ground.

August 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  17. TK

@Melinda, the "mess" is not in the city alone so who knows when it will be "fixed"

August 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Sabrina in Los Angeles

They need to build better walls and make the "good land" higher so it won't flood should a levy break again.

I like the carports under so the homes are elevated.

August 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Dodie ~ California

Wonderful to see the healing process in New Orleans! Very nice report

August 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

Absolutely great music, have to say that.

Disturbing report on that documentary and the follow up. Why did it take the FBI such a long time to investigate?

@Isabel, yes I imagine that young woman's loved ones wanted to wrap their arms around her and hold onto her for hours.

August 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Sharon

God Bless Ted Kennedy and his family. I may be a staunch Republican but as a NH neighbor, I cannot but have the utmost respect for the recently deceased senator. This respect is not only for what he did in the 47 years he was in the Senate but for the responsibility he took on in his family after the death of his two brothers. Just remarkable.

For those that remember only the worst – none of us are saints. Just remember that.

August 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  22. TK

"energy" I think you brought it here with you, Anderson.

August 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I used to live at Freret and S. Carrollton Ave next to a bookstore. I wonder how that lovely neighborhood made out?

August 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Melinda

When will this Katrina mess be fixed?

August 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Anderson

Wonderful music in the background!
    Enjoy your stay in Nola.

August 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Mando from Texas

Question for James Carville

Has demographics in New Orleans changed drastically since Katrina?

August 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Ah! That's what I miss about NO – the soulful musicians and of course, the food! That place can put it's heart into it!

August 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am exciting Anderson is showing me and people lost homes, business and charity after the storm for 4 yrs now, I am glad Anderson is doing great job in New Orleans. Excellent music.

August 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not so sure we should rush to judgment here. None of us knows what it was like back then during Katrina and its aftermath when people were fearful for their familes and their property and knew there was no law enforcement. We all saw the looting on TV, people were clearly out of control.

August 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Ligia, San Jose/CA

@Isabel... You are so right... but open wounds heal with time, good will and HOPE!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Ramona, Jackson, MS

I can't help but think about a local family whose precious little girl was abducted so many years ago and has never been found. God bless Jaycee and her family. This girl has lived the majority of her life in captivity. I can't believe the amount of psychological therapy that will be needed for this young woman and her children.

August 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. starr,formerly known as vincent

Really good and informative story by Gary Tuchman.(He's the man!)

We (family & friends) would like to know why they won't talk to CNN too.

August 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

The music in New Orleans always seem to be better than ever! Lovely music 🙂

August 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Sabrina in Los Angeles

You have a right to defend yourself and your property but not to the detriment of others who might just be passing through.

I like the guy who counted to 3 before shooting and the guy moved on without incident.

August 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David

I agree that all attention is little when it comes to children. But I can not judge whether there was negligence. The pain they must have felt all these years, it overlaps in my chest.

August 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. starr,formerly known as vincent

@ Erica, you are so right about Habitat. A friend of mine, deeply in need of a place to live, just go a home through Habitat.

She is thrilled and we (the community) are thrilled for her!

August 27, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Jacqueline, NY

That is so despicable.

August 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Remember that the was no law after Katrina. One third of the police force abandoned their duty. The rest were overwhelmed by looting everywhere. I would have joined a 'militia' to protect my own home under similar circumstances.

August 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Four years later, Katrina still remains like a wound still open.

August 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I read that while some parts of New Orleans are substantially safer, others have changed little and there is danger of flooding. What are the lessons learned lest it happen again?

August 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Jen NY

so good to see ms. smart! inspirational!

August 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. ericacnn

@Sabrina – Habitat *is* great. If you've never volunteered with them, I urge you to one wkd. You will meet some incredible people and make a lasting difference. A great way to give back.

August 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Bernice T. Greene

I am deeply sadden by Senator Kennedy's death. I wrote to him once I spoke to him about his brother President JFK it was my very first time voting at age 21 for the President. . I been a Kennedy Fan every since. God Bless Senator Kennedy.

August 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. David, Indiana

@Isabel I think people have to be watchful over their kids and get to know their neighbors.

It is mindblowing that that guy kept that young woman and her children in his backyard for all 18 years even in the winter? where was this? How could no one see her children for all that time?

Thank you for showing the motorcade for Ted Kennedy and the warm outpouring of affection from the people of Massachusettes. Very moving and loving pictures.

August 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. starr,formerly known as vincent

More questions for James Carville

1. Has the police force changed for the better?
    2. How protected is the city from another hurrican?

August 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Kishore Reddipeta, CA

Anderson – We commend you and CNN for your outstanding coverage of New Orleans during and post Katrina and your continued efforts to cover improvements made over the last 4 years. Thank you for the job well done, I am sure it did make a significant differance in rolling out govt aid to those in need during difficult time(s).

August 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. TK

perfect setting, Anderson! the atmosphere, the people, you, no suits & ties and of course the music... coming from your set there with the HabitatNOLA team is extremely heart-warming, inspiring... thank you

August 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Lisa Simoneaux

Great music going on down there in the big easy! Love it!

August 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Joyce in Ky.

Great job tonight AC & Erica. There is so much sadness with the passing of Sen. Kennedy, but you had some good news with the finding of the kidnapped girl 18 years later. I pray she can emotionally recover.

August 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Cassandra

WoW! What a remarkable story! There some sickos out there and the worse part about it is that his wife was in on it. I think the both of them sould get life or the death penalty. As citizens we just need try and keep our eyes open for those that are missing. You know how they post pictures in stores and what have you, we should just try to keep an eye out really. By the way, love your show Anderson, you are one of my favorites because you always cover important topics that seem to go forgotten.

August 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |