August 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/27/09

Tonight the body of Sen. Ted Kennedy lies in repose at the John F. Kennedy Library. Thousands of people streamed past his flag-draped casket to pay their final respects; the public viewing will continue tomorrow.

We’ll also have the latest on the stunning ending to an 18-year cold case. In 1991, 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard was kidnapped as she walked to her school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, California. Yesterday, an FBI agent called her parents to tell them she’d been found.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kathy, Lake Tahoe

I lived about 5 blocks from where Jaycee was abducted on the day it happened. I had two daughters that went to the same school in 1991. I can't tell you how many tears of happiness and relief fell in Tahoe today at the news that she was found alive. Our community has held her close in our thoughts and prayers always. We are now, and especially were 18 years ago, a tight-knit community, and what happened to Jaycee affected us all. Much love to her, her daughters, and her family.

August 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. starr,formerly known as vincent

QUESTIONS FOR JAMES CARVILLE

1. How many original New Orleans residents returned in the last 4 years?
    2. How is Brad Pitt's program helping the area?
    3. What does the city Really need to fully recover?
    4. Are volunteers still the backbone of the rebuilding?

August 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Jacqueline, NY

I wish I could be there to say goodbye to "America's Senator" Kennedy.

August 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Tea Sury

The fact that she lived for 18 years with 2 kids and were never noticed by the neighbors is horrifying!

August 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Habitat for Humanity is a great Charity.

I know that Brad Pitt has a charity as well that is assisting with the rebuilding as well.

Nice to see.

August 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Great party behind Anderson! 🙂

August 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  7. ericacnn

really looking fwd to AC's NOLA walk-thru with james carville coming up... and also looking fwd to hearing some more of that infectious music!

August 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I believe Anderson is right, hope is something we all should cling to. Elizabeth is a strong person. Not everyone has that kind of strength. Hopefully Jaycee can learn from her example and not get swallowed in her grief. My hope is this man did not physically abuse his own daughters also.

August 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica,
    I agree with you...... it is touched my heart, the people are lined up saying goodbye Edward M. Kennedy lie repose in Library...

August 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Dodie ~ California

@ Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

She will experience PTSD like a prisoner of war veteran. She is still in shock. In a month or so, the PTSD will surface. I feel so bad for her.

Great Comment Anderson!!! H O P E

August 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Cessy, Chicago

I cant imagine this girl not being able to see her family and then her abductors' children who were also treated the same way by their own parents. No school, no medical treatment, being "robbed" of childhood years...

August 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Lori

Good evening. Eighteen years is a long time.

August 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@Anthonia-(Bay Area) California

As you wisely said "With the help of God made Jaycee survive 18 years".
    I think that God will continue to help her. And now with the family reunited things should be easier.

August 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I wonder if she and her children can ever have a 'normal' existence after this.

August 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Unfortunately, those two children will be a constant reminder of Jaycee's ordeal. I wish her and her family the very best.

August 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Erica, New Jersey

I can't believe Ted Kennedy is gone. I just can't believe it, but at least he lived his life to the fullest always helping others. Rest in Peace

August 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

This is a happy occasion for the kidnap family, but for the young lady is going to need serious counselling to understanding the reason why the kidnappers made her comfortable in the situation and why she is not at fault.

August 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Nigel Mexico

Please inform me , when the neighbors made a report to the police , why were the premises not searched , God Bless this little girl she endured more than I know I would have, lets hope the next 18 years are much happier.

August 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Can't believe I'm out-of-town this week... Of all weeks. Wish I could've gone to pay my respects to the Kennedy family. Ted Kennedy was an amazing man. Won't ever be another quite like him.

August 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Lisa Simoneaux

RIP Teddy, you will be missed. A man for the people. The Kennedy's are such a great peice of American history, with so much sad and horrifying life experiences.

August 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

@Erica- With the help of God made Jaycee survive 18 years in that shack that made by her abductor. I wonder how she is going to adjust to the real world after being so use to a little shack..!

August 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Peggysue Detroit, Mi

I feel very sad that Mr Kennedy won't see our country pass the health care reform. I Thank you Mr. Kennedy for your service to our country. Your going to be missed very much.I admire your whole family for their service and dedication to our country.What a great family!! GOD BLESS YOU ALL !!

August 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Sarah in FL

My heart goes out to Jaycee's children, especially.

August 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Tracy, Seattle

Our country needed at least ten more years of this great man. Gone too soon.

August 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Ligia, San Jose/CA

Good evening everyone... What a GREAT show tonight!!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Dianne

What a story ....unbelievable – we must pray for Jaycee and her daughters and her whole family – that they wlll be able to work with her to makeup for the past 18 years that were taken from her but more so that she will be able to find the strength to give her girls the life and security of knowing that there is a better life for them now that they are free from the horrors they were living. It is hard to believe that none of the neighbors thought to question anything about what looked like a pretty bizzare backyard .... and what about his parole officer .....did they EVER check to see what type of life he had or what he was doing on his "compound"?? Lots of questions need to be asked of anyone and everyone responsible for checking up on this guy – a convicted
    sex offender!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  27. veronica

It is shocking to learn that the police went to the house twice? and they did not bother to check inside the house and outside! They could have saved this horrible tragedy b being more thorough.

August 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

Very touching coverage of Senator Kennedy's life. I do hope that President Obama will push for health care reform now with renewed energy.

August 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Chris

My "Monday-Morning-Quarterback" comments are:

I hope that Parole Officers will from this point forward thoroughly search the homes and property of parolees; especially registered sex offenders. As parolees, they gave up their rights to privacy.

Also, when the neighbors complain that a known sex offender has children in the back yard, the authorities should do more than just "talk" to the accused. C'mon, be vigilant folks (neighbors and police).

Lastly, since they still have the car with which they kidnapped Jaycee, I'm curious whether the authorities ever cross-referenced that type of car registration with registered sex offenders in their initial investigation.

Yes, it's easy to find fault after the fact, but this should be a learning tool going forward.

August 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Cynthia, NC

It was obvious today just how much Senator Kennedy was loved and respected by the citizens of not only Massachusetts, but across this country as well.

August 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Good evening all – checking in late. All caught up – 2 things:1- I am happy that girl was found alive, but her emotional scars are deep and her road to recovery may be too steep. I hope the best for her. 2 – I understand having strong emotions about what's someone's accomplished, but people grieving so profoundly over someone they never met has always puzzled me.

August 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. ericacnn

hi, everyone. it's funny, normally august is a very quiet time in the news business...not this year. what a phone call to receive, learning your daughter is alive nearly two decades after her abduction! i can't help but think back to the very disturbing story out of austria, however... an wonder how this young woman survived.

fascinating, too, to see those paying their respects to sen. kennedy and to hear their thoughts and connections to him.

August 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I don't think passing a bill that adds $1 trillion to the debt should be done as a last tribute. Build a statue in Washington or Boston.

August 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Dorothy in Brooklyn

Yes I agree so happy story. Remind me of story from Kiev years past. Babushka so very happy.

August 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  35. starr,formerly known as vincent

Thank you TomForeman for such a touching piece.

I think it is just really hitting me today that Sen. Ted Kennedy is really gone. It is the end of an era. I was a child when JFK was president and was killed. I also lived through losing Bobbie Kennedy.

But Ted Kennedy was in the Senate for so long, i guess i expected him to always be there, fighting for all of us.

God Bless the Kennedy for the arrangements they decided to make in Mass. He was, after all, Their Senator, who they shared with us.

August 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Beautiful tribute from people on the streets to the Senator!

August 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Karen

Sounds like this disgusting pedofile is already trying to justify what he has done by using God and his "turnaround". He has managed to change this girl's future forever. She can't get back those precious stolen years and to think he believes we will find it an amazing, heart warming story. Delusional.

August 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Dodie ~ California

Teddy taught us all a lot! He did not start out very well, but he matured into a strong altruistic individual. This country will really miss his humanitarianism! I will really miss him.

Rest in peace Teddy!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Barbara

Is there any information yet as to how Jaycee's kidnapping was originally planned and executed? Did she know her captors prior to abduction? How did they pick her?

I am the mother of a beautiful little girl, and crimes like Jaycee's, Elizabeth Smart's and JonBenet Ramsey's terrify me.

August 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Teddy Kennedy did quite a bit of good during his time in office.

He was human so he did have issues....being Irish, alcohol was a given but he was a good soul.

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Lisa Simoneaux

I can't imagine my daughter, who is 5 yrs old missing for 1 hour, nevermind 18 years. To the family-God Bless I hope your'e all doing well, and live life!

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  42. kevin walsh, South Lake Tahoe

Welcome home Jaycee!!!!! There is no punishment severe enough for this couple who abducted her!!!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Nathalie, P-au-P, Haiti

This story reminds me of a similar horor that was discovered in Vienna last year..

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Catherine

I an glad that she is now back with her family and I hope that justice will be served.

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Anne

Anderson, I love the way you phrase things.....honestly and frankly: "Did anybody in the neighborhood notice that this guy was out to lunch?" Such a good point......We all need to keep our eyes and ears open in our neighborhoods for suspicious activity.

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Catherine

I want to understand how a person who is a registered sex offender, could have gotten away with this. I understand he had a parol officer. There is something terribly wrong with the system. I am glad the woman is free from this monster, but I also understand that she has a long,long road of healing ahead and wish her success.

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jacqueline, NY
    Police can miss something long time to be found Jaycee for 18 yrs now.

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Dodie ~ California

@ Mike, Syracuse, NY

I completely agree with you! That is the problem when you release someone with a violent crime! The chances they will repeat this again is much easier than the first time! Very scary

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Tracy

I'm wondering about the zoning regulations for that neighborhood. Didn't someone find it curious that there were outbuildings & tents? Why wasn't it reported by a vigilant neighbor? Hard to believe these perverts could get away with a ready-made prison in their backyard in a suburban neighborhood.

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Jack, I like your last option, capital punishment. People who prey on children will never change. They destroy lives and should simply be executed.

August 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |