August 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/27/09

Tonight the body of Sen. Ted Kennedy lies in repose at the John F. Kennedy Library. Thousands of people streamed past his flag-draped casket to pay their final respects; the public viewing will continue tomorrow.

We’ll also have the latest on the stunning ending to an 18-year cold case. In 1991, 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard was kidnapped as she walked to her school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, California. Yesterday, an FBI agent called her parents to tell them she’d been found.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. erica

it's great that Jaycee is alive! she is very lucky

August 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Rick

Ted was a survivor. I did not always agree with him but he always commanded respect of conviction. In this country, we have forgotten how to respect our differences and work for the good of the country. Senator Kennedy was labeled a liberal, I believe he should be labeled an American. Somehow maybe, Senator Kennedy's passing will cause some to reflect on whats important in our country and put aside our labels of liberal and conservative.

August 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. stephanie

My Heart goes out to the mother and children, please allow time to heal.

August 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to Vicki, his 2 kids, families, sister Jean, friends, colleagues, My thoughts and prayers with Kennedys. 😦

August 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Sarah in FL

wow what an amazing story of the return of Jaycee. I am so glad she is alive & safe.

August 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Sandra Robertson, GA

Hi Anderson. I am so happy Jaycee and her children are now home and safe with family. I wonder how many more victims are out there suffering the same fate. I pray they all find their way home or to the nearest law enforcement agency. There is always hope.

August 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Wow truly happy news, though I didn't know about this story, after 18 yrs how many missing person come back?

@Isabel, yes that family must've been suffering.

Yes, when I heard abou this today, it reminded me of the Elizabeth Smart case. I happened to be watching tv and caught the breaking news announcement of her being found. I was overjoyed because I had thought maybe she would never be found.

August 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Jacqueline, NY

I want to know how did the police miss that.

August 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Jack

Isn't it about time some more severe penalties were dealt for perpertrators of these crimes ? The suffering the family of the victim suffers is a lifetime and never goes away ? Maybe chemical castration has to be an option.......or capital punishment.

August 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Sharon

All sex offenders should be in prison for the rest of their lives. They cannot be rehabilitated.

August 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  11. starr,formerly known as vincent

@Mike Armstrong TX, you make an excellent point.

I too, thought that sexual predators had to report in to a parole officer or someone periodically. I thought that this was a national law.

What happened here? Why was this man allowed out of jail without any follow ups?!

This country really, really needs to get the laws together on ALL sexual predatorsm, at least know where they are and keep the public safe from them.

August 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I believe the guy who did this was out on parole from a 50 years sentence for kidnapping, which he only served 11 years for. Why was he ever released?

August 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Christine G, Los Angeles, CA

We were up in arms when a similar disgusting story came about in another country- we have the same freaks in our backyards....We, America, needs to pay MORE attention to others!

August 27, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree all of you, bloggers.
    I am so thrilled to see her so lucky alive today, Elizabeth Smart is really remarkable alive also, with her dad Ed Smart.

August 27, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I'm out of town since Tuesday and I can not wait, tomorrow, to embrace my son. Imagine what these parents feel!

August 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Good Evening Everyone!

Wow, there is a one and a million chances that a child will be alive after so many years of being abducted! Man i wonder how much pain and heart-ache Jaycee's parents must have went through all these years their child have been missing!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Cessy, Chicago

Hi Anderson!

what an unbelievable story...I'm glad that she is alive. I hope and pray that she is able to make up for the time lost with her family and get to know them again...

August 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I am so happy for the rare reunion of Jaycee and her family. I can only begin to imagine the the healing that they have ahead of them.Insurmountable.I am also deeply disturbed by her captors.I will never understand just how sick people can become,then to inflict their sickness on the helpless.They should never see the light of day again.

August 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. It’s amazing that Jaycee Dugard has been found. Her kidnapper is a warped individual and hopefully will be put away for the rest of his life.

It’s only fitting that Anderson is broadcasting from New Orleans as we get ready to mark the 4th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

August 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Sabrina in Los Angeles

That is quite crazy. Being a captive for 18 years and having two kids with this really old guy?

Child labor without assistance?

Are these children OK?

It scares me because I have a 13 year old....crazy.

August 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This guy's neighbors must be clueless. I find it difficult to believe that they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary all these years. I am glad they aren't my neighbors!

August 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Mike Armstrong TX.

What I dont understand is why this pedifile wasnt on the look out list and reporting himself.

August 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hi Anderson, Erica and everyone;

I can't stay but this Dugard story today is simply unbelievable. Oh wow, and now we hear the tape of the rapist. Sociopath for sure.

We need to pray for healing for Jaycee and her daughters. I hope they can get all the professional help they need for free.

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Peggysue Detroit, Mi

good evening all , My heart and prayers go out to JC and her family. What a horrible crime! How many other missing children are going through this? UNBELIEVABLE !!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Sandra Robertson, GA

Hi Anderson. Thank God Jaycee and her little girls are free at last. I hope they find true happiness in the years ahead. It is hard to imagine the suffering they lived through.

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Dodie ~ California

Victims always identify with their perpetrator. Its a survival technique.

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. starr,formerly known as vincent

@Isabel Siava, Brazil:

What an absolutely beautiful statement & i hope the same for this tortured family.

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. lampe

GOD Does Work in mysterious WAYS!

August 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I read the blog that there are some other cases like this. Such stories are so impressive. I would like to know more about. I would even know how we can prevent it.

August 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This is a horrific story! There is no punishment severe enough for this scumbag and his wife.

August 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Heidi Berg

wow what a story

August 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Sharon Hastings

This story of the kidnapped girl is unbelievable. I can't imagine what her life has been like. She and her children will need all the help they can get.

August 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Dodie ~ California

Living in those conditions for 18 years of your life is worse than being on death row. This is what happens when people who commit violent crimes are released.

This woman will have the same PTSD as a prisoner of war veteran. She will wake up screaming, drinking and using drugs to try and forget! Her life is destroyed because of this man. I hope he will be locked up for the rest of his life!!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Nancy

How could Phillip's wife, Nancy, stand by while he had two babies with Jaycee? Unbelievable.

August 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

August 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

How did she finally get away?

August 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I wish that peace be restored to this family! That this family will recover of these years of absence with much love, affection and unity.

August 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. starr,formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Team 360, and of course, James Carville.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

The story about the recovery of this young woman is remarkable!!

August 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This story is amazing. I wonder how many other missing children are really alive out there somewhere.

August 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What amazing story! OMG!!! This is crazy! Eighteen years after!

August 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Thursday night!

August 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Cindy - Dyer, In

good evening all

August 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YES!!!! I am so exciting for her found alive 18 years for now so safe! 🙂 She will reunited with her families. 🙂

August 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I can’t imagine how much suffering this family passed over these years!

August 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Jacqueline, NY

Anderson,

Thank you for remembering Katrina and its victims.

August 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Evening Anderson, Erica, 360ºteam, David (Indiana) and bloggers!

It’s very nice see you again in Nola! You’re in your element when in the field and I like it so much!

August 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone!

August 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Jacqueline, NY

Evening all!

August 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers. Sounds like an interesting program.

August 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Happy Thursday night!
    My heart goes to Vicki, his 2 kids, families, sister Jean, friends, collegues, and 2 dogs. My thoughts and prayers with Kennedys. 😦

August 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |