August 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/25

Tonight we’re digging deeper on the CIA interrogation story. Yesterday, the government released hundreds of documents detailing harsh interrogation tactics used by the CIA during the Bush administration–and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he was launching a new review of those controversial techniques to determine if the CIA broke the law. We’ll also have the latest in the Michael Jackson death investigation. For weeks now, the focus has been on Dr. Murray, but now another doctor—Jackson’s longtime dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein—may soon be getting even more attention from investigators. Randi Kaye explains why tonight.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Steve - West Chester, PA

uggghhhh..... tired of Jon & Kate !!

August 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David

No, there is still no vaccine for swine flu here. Only next year, unfortunately.

August 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. starr,formerly known as vincent

Just from that short clip, it does not seem that this gentleman understands how his actions endangered the Nobel Peace prize winner.

As a result of his actions, she is now paying the price. And nothing has changed in Burma.

I will be watching for the full story tomorrow.

August 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Lori, IL

Good report by Drew on NOLA "investigation/cover-up" -

Devna /Anderson - Any chance the interview from American Morning be posted on the 360 website tomorrow? - Looks interesting, but I don't get to watch American Morning.

August 25, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Michele

Really...more of this ridiculous "reality" family?? Who cares!! They are getting paid very well for their overdone 15 minutes of fame. Go away we have important stuff to talk about.

August 25, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Debbie, Louisiana

Anderson:
    You continue to remember NOLA four years later...thank you.

August 25, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  7. cicly

hello to all; our laws are sorely lacking when it comes to abuse of women. the untimely death of the lovely model recently n the news, points more and more towards an ex-husband who had previous convictions of violence against women, and in all likelyhood went on to murder.

August 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. S Gomez

90 thousand on top of the amount from previose years of traditional flew statistics.

August 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

How sad. Perhaps if it had been a dog they'd shot and killed, the cops would be facing some time in prison.

August 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. David, Indiana

@Isabel, glad to hear your cousin is all right. Are vaccinations
    for H1N1 available in Brazil?

Can the hospital system in the US handle was 18 million? hospitalizations?

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Lauren--NY

Anderson, I hope you have a safe and memorable trip to NOLA this week. I'm very excited you're getting to report from there; I've been looking forward to it since I heard. Thanks to your whole team for the updated coverage. Stay safe and have a great trip. I'll be watching.

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Possibility of a coverup? OK, even if it's not a coverup, we're not getting the whole story.

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Cynthia, NC

The killing on the New Orleans bridge was just wrong.

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. starr,formerly known as vincent

Great story by Drew Griffen!

I remember this story and i remember he was shot in the "back".

I'm glad that CNN, Drew Griffen have continued to follow this story. These officers had no apparent excuse to act the way that they did.

I know people were freaked out, but that is no excuse to suspend decent behavior.

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

My cousin have pneumonia at the same time. This is happening frequently here. Along the flu comes pneumonia.

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Jennifer

Evening Anderson & crew
    New Orleans is such a diverse and beautiful city. I'm glad you stay up with what's happening there. It's heartbreaking to see they have so much trouble.

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Mike Armstrong TX.

This flu may not even make a come back all the information so far is just speculation for all they know it could be a new spring time flu that only migrats in warm tempretures .

August 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Mary

In regards to the Swine Flu, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis...What are my risks in getting this flu? Should I get the vaccine?

August 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Staci

Wow, I was too young to recall that particular story, but hearing it now, I am severely disturbed. The atrocities which occured in Katrina's wake are the ultimate betrayl to citzens by authority. That city is so desperately in need of aid, even this many years later...BRAD PITT FOR MAYOR!

August 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Sandra Robertson, GA

Anderson, I know you will never forget New Orleans. Thanks for keeping them honest.

August 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I was surprise pres. Obama's great uncle to visit the Town Hall meeting to attend talking about healthcare... Nice job Dana Bash!

August 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Sam

What I'm interested to know is if the mortality rate is higher for those with the swine flu or the regular flu.

August 25, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

@Isabel: Did your cousin have pneumonia before she contracted the virus or at the same time ?

August 25, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@Steve – West Chester, PA and @Gady Mayen

Here in Brazil pregnant women are also being affected. Pregnant women are licensed preventive because they are more susceptible to flu.

August 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Vicky

One very important thing is that when people get sick they need to stay home. The last time I got a cold was when a sick colleague literally coughed in my face! I was so furious! I was leaving the next day for vacation and sure enough I got sick on my vacation. Sick people, I implore you, STAY HOME.

August 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Steve - West Chester, PA

The serial bank robber will end up in a shoot out with police. Considering this guy isn't even bothering to cover his face, he's not afraid of the police. These people tend to be dangerous.

August 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Sarah Atlanta, GA

Nice to see NOLA getting mentioned on the program Anderson and its nice that you'll be down there later this week. I was beginning to think you had forgotten all about it.

August 25, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Helen

The president great uncle is so cute.

August 25, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of drain this H1N1 virus will put on our health care system and how they use it to advance/trash health care reform.

August 25, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. starr,formerly known as vincent

Pres. Obama's great uncle was honest and refreshing.

Hopefully, the President will get a chance to call him.

August 25, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  31. D Lindsey

Dr Gupta, I am 51 years old and I have copd with asthma and chronic bronchitus. Does my condition make H1N1 more dangerous for me than for someone else my age and if so, would someone with my conditon be among the first group to receive the H1N1 vaccination?

August 25, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Bill

The MJ thing is just so sad. I feel sorry for the family and for the kids he left behind.

August 25, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

My cousin had the flu with pneumonia. She was hospitalized a week and she was well because it was treated immediately.

August 25, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

Is it safe to travel to the US and the UK inspite of the virus ? What are some precautionary measures I can take when traveling? thanks.

August 25, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

Hey Isabel, I'm Brazilian myself. What scares me the most is the fact some people die, other don't. And I can only imagine how Brazil must be a frenzy with lack of hand sanitizers and masks... although masks don't protect you against the virus, it only helps sick people keep their germs for themselves.

August 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  36. gail

While I do believe that Chris Brown got off easy ,Lisa Bloom said he got the same sentence as someone that was not famous therefore we can not punish him more than anyone else. Equal justice under law is what we believe even if we believe the punishment is lenient.

August 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I hope Chir Brown obeys the sentence because next time it could be worst for both of them.

August 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Steve - West Chester, PA

@Gady Mayen – the young and the elderly.

August 25, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!! lot of people have swine flu to count in the world..... Thanks for the chart who have swine flu. That's so scary thought!

August 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Staci

I had swine flu like three-fourths of my school...since I'm more likely to have a modicom of immunity to even a mutated violence, I searched for a place I could volunteer to help out in any way I can. No where. I think a lot of people would be willing to donate their time to aid others, even those without qualifications like me can ease in paperwork and such. I didn't know Gupta had kids, aw!

August 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

I wonder how much this vaccine is going to be

August 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Sarah

I am really disappointed that Chris Brown walks away with just 5 years probation for physically abusing Rihanna. This just shows that if you are a celebrity, you get a much lesser punishment. This is just so sad and ridiculous. I bet if Chris Brown were just a regular man, he would have DEFINATELY got jail time. Where is justice?????

August 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  43. starr,formerly known as vincent

H1N1 virus is very disturbing. If the worse case senario occurs, think of how few people will be available at their various jobs , especially health care workers.

Wow, i didn't know that 2 vaccinations were necessary before you are immunized.

Thank you, as always, Dr, Gupta.

August 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Lori, IL

Would rather they prepare for the worst case scenario on H1N1 - then not be prepared.

Thank you, Sanjay for injecting common sense into this discussion, rather than provoke panic.

August 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I know someone who had a mutation of the H1N1 and they wanted to hospitalize her.

I think, being close to her at that time, I think I got a mild version of it and was down around my b-day shortly after she left.

The flu shot makes me ill...I am better off not getting this one either.

August 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Are there enough vaccines for everybody?

August 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Sandra Robertson, GA

Hi Anderson and Dr. Gupta. Where do we stand on the H1N1 vaccine? Thanks you just answered my question. I agree the number of people potentially contracting the virus this fall is very frightening.

August 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Steve Massa

I have ALS/ Lou Gehrigs disease I have a concern on getting the vaccine. Are there risks for someone with my disease

August 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

So those who are not typically at risk of getting really sick from the flu – should they also get vaccinated?

August 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Sharon Hastings

Let's not borrow these catastrophic predictions. Worrying is not going to help. We should take good precautions and get the vaccine if it becomes available.

August 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |