August 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/25

Tonight we’re digging deeper on the CIA interrogation story. Yesterday, the government released hundreds of documents detailing harsh interrogation tactics used by the CIA during the Bush administration–and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he was launching a new review of those controversial techniques to determine if the CIA broke the law. We’ll also have the latest in the Michael Jackson death investigation. For weeks now, the focus has been on Dr. Murray, but now another doctor—Jackson’s longtime dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein—may soon be getting even more attention from investigators. Randi Kaye explains why tonight.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Dr. Gupta,

Pregnant women also have been very susceptible to the flu in my country.

This is due to the immune system of pregnant women be slightly weakened due to pregnancy?

August 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

My golden rule during flu season – wash you hands often and never touch your face. You have to actually think about it because we do it without thinking.

August 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Anthonia-(Yay! Area)California

@Erica- I hope Rihanna is seeking some type of help from her abusive relationship from her former boyfriend chris brown! thanks for updating us about them!

August 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. bea

Roll out a vaccine too easily and people get sick or die from it. Very troublesome about the speedy trials. Are women and kids included in those trials?

August 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Suzanne

I think that Jackson's doctor is fully responsible for his untimely
    death, as well as the pharmacies that participated in dispensing
    propofol and other medications that ultimately contributed towards
    his death.

August 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The swine flu is ravaging my country, this winter. There were already more than 500 deaths and almost 6000 confirmed cases across the country. We're so scared!

August 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Steve - West Chester, PA

Is it really safe for us to send our children to shool? Is it really safe to travel with numbers like these?

August 25, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Here in Brazil the masks and alcohol gel disappeared from stores.

August 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Cynthia, NC

Hello. Chris Brown did get an easy sentence. I am curious to see if he will abide by the restriction of staying 100 yards away from Rhianna for the next five years.

August 25, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Steve - West Chester, PA

I'm not a "germaphobe" by any means. But I have been taking extra precautions when out in public places and I am worried about my children going back to school.

August 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Melanie

Dr. Gupta,

My daughter and I had the swine flu earlier this year, what are the chances we could be infected again?

August 25, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

Brown's career? It'll take off like never before! Sadly...

August 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

Swine flu...lots of schoolkids had it in my nephew's class in the UK and loads of people in my sister's office in the UK as well (many sent home sick) but both my sister and nephew didn't contract the virus and they had lots of contact with the virus carriers. How come ?

August 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Tracy

Dr. Murray was hardly a deer caught in the head lights. He was and is a greedy doctor who was willing to sell any ethical standards that he may have had for some big bucks. He was motivated by pure greed. He signed on knowing that he would be administering propofel to Michael Jackson. The worst were his effrots to try to cover up his crime, when MJ stopped breathing. He's a murderer in my estimation.

Sad & Mad in Chicago

August 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Lori

Punching someone with a fist is terrible. I think that many people do think that victims bring these incidents upon themselves.

August 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Devna AC360°
    Hellooo Devna!!!!!! Nice see you on Live Blog tonight! 🙂

August 25, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Mike Roizen MD

Comment on medical practice-whether for celebrity or typical person is to practice within qualifications-no degreee of celbrity or no should allow a physician to go beyond skills- Almost all physicians can get help from others-and must if you are asked to practice outside of or beyond your level of care.

August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Donna in MD

No prison time even though he nearly choked her....? Good grief!!

August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Steve - West Chester, PA

Chris Brown. Another "famous" person getting off easy.

August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Nigel

Randall Terry shows just how classless some people can be , we all have strong views on many different subjects but we don't barge in and disrupt a conference , we do it with class and voice an opinion

August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Sarah in FL

Lisa Bloom rocks....and I totally agree. Chris Brown got of way too early. It matters not where the incidents took place, violence is violence.

I agree with Lisa...that photo of Rhianna is heartbreaking.

August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

Question for Dr Gupta:
    the vaccine they came up with is obviously brand new and was not tested for a long period of time. How can we be sure that it is safe??

August 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

Hey AC, good night.

Now, isn't clear that this Dr. Murray was bought? Question is, who is responsible for your well being other than yourself? A father of 3 doing this kind of stupidity is outrageous.

August 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

How many of these "first timeers" end up back in court for another domestic violence case? If it's a lot, isn't that a sign that these individuals are dissuaded by probation and community service, and another woman has to be brutalized?

August 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  25. ericacnn

hi, everyone. the constant flood of new information in the MJ case never ceases to amaze me... and i know we are far from finished here.

also, disturbing new details about the "past incidents" between chris brown and rhianna

August 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

Chris Brown got off too easy, he got a slap on the hand. No one else would get away with something like that

August 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Lori

How does the sentence contribute to rehabilitation? Don't abusers usually continue that pattern of behavior?

August 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Devna AC360°

Sanjay Gupta answers your questions regarding H1N1 coming up!
    You don't want to miss this very important information.

August 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

Dr. Murray seems to be very incompetent to say the least. I wonder if the same would have happened under another doctor's care. This could have been prevented. What a sad loss.

August 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  30. bea

Glad the judge threw the book at Chris Brown but doesn't that prohibition on being with Rihanna violate the First Amendment - freedom of association if she wants to?

August 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Excellent punishment of community work! At least it will help people.

August 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Minou, New York City

Wow, those town hall meetings get more ridiculous by the day!

August 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Jane - Vt

Good evening everyone. Randall Terry makes me so angry. Dr. Dean is a first class guy.

August 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Anthonia-(Yay! Area)California

@Isabel- I totally agree! Most doctors sometimes abuse their powers..!

August 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Robert W

My question to Dr. Gupta about the Swine Flu

Dr. Gupta, I'm a diabetic Type II I'm very nervous but my question is being a diabetic is best to get the vaccine? If not what should I do?

August 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

@Bea: I agree with you. After being administered propofol I was high for 2 weeks, and it was the most aweful feeling ever. I never want to be under it ever again.

August 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Devna AC360°

@Isabel – Hi!
    @Gloria Great – stay tuned!
    @Kelly – A huge concern for all parties involved.

August 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Anderson and Erica. I wonder also which doctor first introduced/administered the anesthetic propofol to Michael Jackson, since he had multiple reconstructive surgeries.

August 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

Hi again Anderson

August 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  40. andersoncnn

evening everyone..thanks for joining us on the live chat.

August 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Lori

Can we expect the same type of reaction with the H1N1 flu shot as with other previous flu shots? Are they available now?

August 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Mike Armstrong TX.

This should have been post war information only revealing it now was nothing but being careless stupid move.

August 25, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Monica ,Oakland CA

Dr. Murray deserves to have his medical license suspended or revoked....

August 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. starr,formerly known as vincent

As it has been suspected, MJ's death could have been prevented.

A cardiologist is not educated in these types of pharmaceuticals. And although it is admirable that he was trying to get MJ off of Diprivan, in the end he failed.

August 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Vicky

"America doesn't torture". How many times have we heard that? Geneva Convention – Did Bush or Cheney ever hear of that? If we create a law we must follow it – not bend it where we see fit. 911 was horiffic but we should not lower ourselves to their level.

August 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

@Heather, maybe it's not Why would a doctor do this, but would a competent doctor do this?

August 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I hope MJ's kids are being kept away from all of these reports. There's no way they could handle all of this... would be hard enough for adult children to cope with this.

August 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Sarah in FL

I doubt MJ had a real pain problem. Call it what it is...an addiction problem. My opinion is that MJ wanted the drugs & he would get them at whatever cost to him...if it wasn't Murray, another doctor would have done it.

August 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! "Interesting program again to night!"

August 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Minou, New York City

I don't think it's the celebs who ruin the medical treatments they're getting, it's the doctor's who get star-struck and blinded who ruin it. Those docs are vain and just want to be able to say " I have celebrity patients" and therefore they do whatever the famous want.

August 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |