August 25th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/25

Tonight we’re digging deeper on the CIA interrogation story. Yesterday, the government released hundreds of documents detailing harsh interrogation tactics used by the CIA during the Bush administration–and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he was launching a new review of those controversial techniques to determine if the CIA broke the law. We’ll also have the latest in the Michael Jackson death investigation. For weeks now, the focus has been on Dr. Murray, but now another doctor—Jackson’s longtime dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein—may soon be getting even more attention from investigators. Randi Kaye explains why tonight.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renee

Anderson to answer your question. People can physician shop to see what they can get i.e., drugs or anything else.

August 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  2. lkis

good evening Anderson, Erica and fellow bloggers........i had a strong feeling that more doctors would be a part of MJ's addiction and death....so very sad

August 25, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening Devna!!!

August 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why would a doctor knowingly give someone 8 (?) different injections of sleep drugs and muscle relaxers all in one night? That is crazy

August 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Why this blanket assumption that laws were broken? The Justice Dept. already looked at this and said no laws were broken. How many times do we need to ask the same question?

August 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Devna AC360°

Be sure to check out ac360.com for a timeline of Michael Jackson's last hours...

August 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

I think that torture is never ok. period. Maybe I'm just too naive or maybe I don't understand how wars work well enough. I don't know, I'm just following my own conscience on this, wrong or not.

August 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Renee

Its going to be very interesting to see how this scenario plays out. Should Dr. Murray be convicted of involuntary manslaughter. But, time will tell.

August 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Devna AC360°

Thank you for joining us everyone!

August 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Some doctors are playing God, unaware of their duty!

August 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Anthonia-(Yay! Area)California

Wait, didnt Michael Jackson go to rehab in the 90's for taking the same drugs? why didnt anyone help him then?

August 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Hello Anderson and Erica! I still love the pieces Randi brings us on MJ. I'm not tired of it yet. Look forward to it in fact. I guess I'm hoping people will learn something from poor MJ'S mistake! There is something there to be learned! Do we get it yet do you think?

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

August 25, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow! other one Dr. Davis too involved of MJ's death! OUCH!

August 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Why is a dermatologist prescribing muscle relaxing or similiar type drugs?

August 25, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Louis - Fairfax, VA

Why is approving torturing our enemies not the same as inviting our enemies to torture our own troops? Where is our moral standing to complain when out enemies use the same techniques on American security personnel?

August 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Susan

I can't help but wonder where we would be if no one had not gotten information from prisoners in past wars. Would Eisenhower and others call this torture ? Did Abe Lincoln authorized torture of prisoners from the confederacy ? Torture is part of war but where do we draw the line ? Or should we draw a line ?

August 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel Siaba, Brazil,
    I agree with you....... Of course, That is so absurd! I think we can't accept that to abuse terror.

August 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Leonard Savage

Whether or not the torture techniques were effective is not the question that we should be asking, we need to ask if the law was broken. It does not matter if there are claims that lives were saved, it only matters whether the interrogations were illegal.
    No person is above the law. And to protect us from abuses in the future we need to clean up our past no matter how dirty it gets!

August 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Pat Tabor

The past administration's crimes should be unveiled. With their deeds we have become our enemy.

August 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Some doctors are playing God! This is very, very bad!

August 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. bea

I had propofol and versed and one other intravenous medication for a procedure today. I was sleepy because I had to take pills in the middle of the night before the procedure. My second time with this drug. Well people, let me tell you, Michael was wrong. You don't feel rested afterward. It's like magic, but it's not like sleep.

August 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Donna in MD

I agree with Kelly, above – I seriously doubt that we now know "all" the techniques in the CIA's files. That was badly overstated by Cheney's former employee, there....

August 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Have to temper the interrogation process with morality.

I don't threatening to drill someone or pretending to shoot a person to create psychological war fare is good.

We have to be hard on them but not barbaric and cruel....we sink to their level in doing so.

August 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Stephanie Liaci

Torture isn't a political issue, it's a morality issue. No one is saying "our first line of defense" is sadistic. What a few people authorized and carried out was sadistic, and in America, criminals are punished. I won't choose between living ethically and having a sense of security.

August 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. bruce

I wish people could put aside their anger toward cheney and be more agnostic about how they look at this situation. Lets not politics cloud our judgement in assessing what is the best way to defend this country

August 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Minou, New York City

It's probably not wise to divulge the details of the interrogation techniques at this time while American forces are still involved in combat. Not to say that an American soldier would not get tortured by extremists anyway, but now they'd have what they'd see as an "excuse". Anyway, the US should have never tortured to begin with.

August 25, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

Torture is one of those subjects you don't fool around with. They shouldn't take it so lightly and lie about it. It's human beings we're talking about, and they are priceless in God's eyes. Where is justice in this world ?

August 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Rahel Mequon, Wisconsin

i think its really good to show both sides of the story
    and i like how you let your viewers chose what they believe and you don't force one side on them

August 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So if Paul Begala doesn't want to prosecute anyone, what's the point of a witch hunt? As was stated, the Justice Dept. already did an investigation and found nothing to prosecute.

August 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  30. starr, santa fe

Former VP Cheney just can't help himself. Once again, HE is politisizing the issue.

Where is the "proof" that "tortue" got us Any vital information that saved anyone?

Again, i do not want to see CIA operative punished as they were being "directed" by Mr. Bush & Cheney very hard. I DO want to see an investigation of how the Executive Branch may have abused its power.

August 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I guess my problem is what's the difference between torture and killing? War is horrible and people are asked to make inhumane decisions, at what cost?

August 25, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I'm sorry, this story is so confusing to me, but everything that is illegal should be prohibited. Torture is too absurd!

August 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its interesting how this issue of torture goes. Its ok for us to torture and threaten people's families and kids but its not ok for them to torture and threaten our families and kids? What is wrong with this picture?

August 25, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Sarah in FL

I love how 360 has panelists from BOTH sides of thearguement...its the only news show that does tell ALL sides to the story.

August 25, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Do we actually know all the techniques that the CIA used or only those that they've chosen to unveil?

August 25, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Adriana RM Marietta,Ga

We blame the CIA, but the fault lies with the DOJ and the White House.

August 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't believe my eyes!!!! I am really disappointed with old former vice president Cheney did wrong thing to do that....... I am not sure what he have plan attack terror. I agree with Paul Begala.

August 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Minou, New York City

Hi all! Hi Anderson and Erica!

We get outraged about reports of torture in Iranian prisons, and here we are doing the same thing... torture begets nothing but false statements made to stop the suffering.

August 25, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If the interrogations prevented one attack, or one US death it's worth it.

August 25, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Good evening everyone, another dreary Tuesday almost over. Time for some meaty news.

August 25, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Jacqueline, NY

Evening all!

August 25, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. starr, santa fe

Hello Anderson, Erica & Team 360.

Hellow fellow bloggers.

I am looking foward to the news tonight.

August 25, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Dulcie - Denver

Oh, please. Cheney needs to sit down and shut up. I'm tired of hearing his fear-mongering.

August 25, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers. Do we all feel like Dr. Murray will be charged soon? Sounds like some others too maybe.

August 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Tuesday Night!!!!! 🙂

August 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Melanie

I have always thought that Dr. Murray was not the only Dr. to be blamed for MJ'S death. I have read several articles since MJ died and there have been several things that have pointed to Dr. Klein. Dr. Klein, may not have administered the lethal cocktail that ended MJ'S life, but I feel Dr. Klein is just as responsible for MJ'S death. Dr. Klein knew that MJ was an addict, and continued to feed him with the drugs he wanted.

August 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Evening Anderson, Erica, 360 team, David (Indiana) and bloggers!

It's so good to be here! 🙂

August 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Adeline, Luxembourg/Paris

Hello Anderson, thanks for bringing us all the details about the Michael Jackson story...so so so disturbing! Propofol was taken out of the French market alltogether. I was administered propofol once in the UK, it's very powerful. I can imagine why Michael used it to sleep it puts you straight to sleep but of course I don't condone it as a sleeping method at all.

August 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

evening Anderson and everyone. its been a long week already and its only Tuesday

August 25, 2009 at 10:00 pm |