August 25th, 2009

After the Storm: Impact Your World

Program Note: Four years after Katrina, what is New Orleans like now? Some residents continue to face challenges as the Big Easy keeps trying to rebuild. Take a look at In Depth: After the Storm. And to learn about ways you can make a difference, visit Impact Your World.

Impact Your World

For those of you looking to contribute to the ongoing rebuilding effort in New Orleans, go here to find out how. CNN's Impact Your World has put together a list of resources that will help you get involved.

Find more here....

1. Sandy in Arabi (St. Bernard Parish)

WOW – great to see Captain Humble is alive and kicking, even though he needs help (he posted a comment here for help).

My house recovery has gone well, for the most part. Slow but well. My house isn't complete, but it's livable, for which I thank God. My backyard is a complete and total mess, due to trailers being in the driveway through the beginning of this summer. Too hot to clean up, so waiting on fall.

Emotionally we're not that great. Although my daughter has bounced back 10-fold (she's in 11th grade and excelling like the Dickens!), my son fell victim to drug addiction, causing him to lose his family (girlfriend left him with his daughter). I have been trying to hold it all down emotionally, for the sake of the kids. Katrina never leaves our minds, although we try our hardest. Reminders are all around us on any given day – running errands, visiting family, going to work. Because the devastation was so widespread, and recovery is ongoing, we are reminded on a daily basis. It sucks sometimes.

The one good thing we have is our jewel of a gem – the good old French Quarter. I still pass my grandma's old house, which looks the same. The bars my dad worked at are still the same. The St. Louis Cathedral, where generations of us were christened hasn't changed. The tourists are just as fun as ever, and it's great to sit on a bench to just people watch and eat donuts (beignets).

All-in-all, we are survivors. Katrina knocked us down, but she didn't knock us out. We're back up on our feet and forging ahead. Thanks to everyone for caring, and thanks, Anderson, for putting us on the map, again.

August 26, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  2. trula mcclure

i belive Anderson Cooper–has done a wonderful job covering Katrina in new orleans and the coal miners in west virgina 12 miners lost thire lifes he does a wonderful job on any storey he covers .he stands for the right .s of people

August 26, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  3. Wade Gaddis

Anderson,

If you get a chance go to the other side of the river in Jefferson Parish and interview people who were also impacted , but refused to be a casulty. They rolled their sleeves up and took care of their neighbors.

Regards,

Wade Gaddis

August 26, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  4. nea

I remember this it was a sad time for New Orleans my heart went out to them people on roof tops babies need milk children needing food the elderly needed to be taken care of. This i will always remember just like hurricane Floyde here in Noth Carolina.

August 26, 2009 at 1:51 am |
  5. Matthew

Anderson,

Please come chat with us at Tulane Law!

August 26, 2009 at 1:38 am |
  6. TK

Anderson Cooper's Book, "Dispatches From the Edge" should be required reading for local politicians, community leaders... and a prerequisite for all those taking a (political) oath of office.

"you grow up believing... that things can never completely fall apart. Katrina showed us all that's not true. For all the money spent... we are not ready, not even for a disaster we know is coming. We can't take care of our own. The world can break apart in our own backyard, and when it does many of us will simply fall off."

Thank you, Mr. Cooper for including your Katrina experiences in your memoir alongside Somali & the 2004 Tsunami. Katrina was almost satirerific, lacking at times personal thoughts but just enough facts to make "Dispatches from the Edge" a must read.

August 25, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  7. Mary from New Orleans

Anderson,

Please please do report on the ongoing
    police corruption and abuse of power
    here in the NOPD of New Orleans.
    I know that everyone here will
    be tuned in ...

August 25, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  8. Mary from New Orleans

Good evening Anderson,

So glad to learn you will come to N.O.L.A. yet again.
    Thank you for your in debt reporting on this CITY THAT CARE FORGOT!
    My daughter is a new fall freshman at Delgado and I was there for fall
    registration and saw the frustration and loyalty of Delgado's faculty
    and current students. They do their best with what they have.
    Living in this country and realizing that not even higher education
    is a top priority after the "Storm of the Century" makes me
    wonder to say the least. On August 29th, it will be a full 4 yrs.
    since Katrina turned our lives upside down. When wikk the
    Obama administration put his words into action? I pray everyday
    that he does not get re-elected. He is a smooth talker when it matters,
    but he needs to seriously put his words into action.
    After all, are not the young americans seeking an education the
    future of this country? If these young people want a better world to
    live and thrive in, they should do everything they can to assure he does not get re-elected.
    Also, you only just touched on the massive corruption and greed
    inside the NOPD here. The abuse of their police powers has been
    the same since I was 5 yrs. old living here in the 1960's.
    It appeared to many N.O. residents as they watched AC 360
    coverage during the Katrina aftermath, that the NOPD was
    ready and willing (quite eager) to take advantage of the
    lawlessness and shot african-americans knowing they could get
    away with it. I feel so bad for the familys of the sons that were
    shot and then blamed that they tried shooting the police.
    I have known and seen enough corruption within this police
    dept. over the decades, thus it does not surprise me that NOW
    the FBI is investigating this dept. in the NOPD.
    Anderson, we as New Orleans' citizens cannot think of a more
    qualified reporter than yourself to report in debt on this ongoing
    corruption here in the NOPD. There is so much political
    pay offs and corruption and they watch each others' backs.
    Just look at the Jefferson trial, he had so many individuals
    involved in all his scams, and pay-offs, but that too comes as no
    surprise to the longtime residents of Louisiana, it has come to
    almost be expected of our politicians. Remember Gov. Edwin Edwards?
    Please do an in debt report on the FBI investigation of the
    New Orleans police dept. You could do it like no other can...

Thank you Anderson Cooper!

August 25, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  9. vonnie

Please help Captain Humble, I told yall law enforcement was tainted and dirty! All they care about is a dollar and then they pocket the money. Do you see where the money is going? Show me.

August 25, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  10. vonnie

One more thing, We loved Captain Humble Po-Boys! So sorry that you closed. My parents had a craving for a sandwich one day were very dissapointed.

August 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  11. vonnie

I have been a huge fan of yours ever since keeping them honest post katrina. I am a New Orleans native and have not returned home since Katrina. I love home, however it is a political and economical disaster. New Orleans is known for its dirty politics and filthy,filthy police department. How dare they try to get away with killing an innocent man who is also mentally challenged! They killed him, plain and simple. Also in the south were there is a thin line between what is right and what is white, I hate to see yet again....another black man killed and a group, not one, but a group of white police officers hi-fiving each other - another thing has there ever been justice for Steven Hawkins?? Pre-Katrina. Lets keep these pathetic liars honest AC. I admire your work.

August 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  12. Larryboy

NOLA is the sump pump capital of the world. Why don't we build more cities below sealevel? Let me tell you there were a lot of nutt-jobs in NOLO before Katrina, and there will be a lot more coming back, as long as the big storms lull them into complacency again. Rock-a-bye baby!

August 25, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Theresa Angelino

Aggravated that the copper wiring had been stolen out of another Musicians' Village House, musician Liese Dettmer brought her drums to her porch and started banging. This attracted the attention of some of the children of the 9th Ward and out of that noise emerged the "Habitat Band". Liese used her own funds plus those of her equally as poor friends to teach 26 low-income kids a 17 week Marching Drum course and a few life lessons along the way.
    If you are doing a story about the Musicians' Village, you must visit Liese Dettmer who formed the first Musician's Village band "The Copper Thieves" and took the time to enrich the lives of children in need of attention.
    Theresa Angeilno
    Liese Dettmer is a resident of the Musicians' Village and may be contacted at 504-812-9881. She lives in the only purple house on Bartholomew.

August 25, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  14. alex lyrics

How in the world can any one bost and brag about stopping terror attacts???
    Cheney thinks that he can some how read or predict the future now? Wow you republcans sure think your crap doesn't stink. hahahaha
    Cheney is rediculous.
    There is no true wy to prove that, only a way to use it to the republican advantage. give us all a break Cheney and go hide some where.

August 25, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  15. Paul Angelino

AC,

I understand you are going to have a program on the Musicians’ Village in New Orleans. Perhaps you have heard of one of the prominent residents there, namely, Anna Liese Dettmer.

She is a guitarist who has here home in the Village at 1808 Bartholomew. She formed a band using other residents there and together they play every Wednesday from her porch for the Habitat volunteers. It is estimated that already about 7,000 of them have enjoyed her performances.

In addition to this she teaches marching drum lessons for free to 26 kids from the neighborhood. By doing this she is hoping to channel underprivileged children in the right direction by giving them both something to do and creating interest in some skills which may later pay off for them in the future. The parents also very much appreciate her.

Before she moved in, she started working as a volunteer and encouraged others to do the same. She had hundreds of extra sweat equity hours.

Surely there are people there in the Village who have already made their mark but she is up and coming. For more information on her you can goggle her under the name Liese Dettmer to find out more about what she has accomplished. Also her website is http://www.myspace.com/liesedettmer

Thank you very much for your work in NOLA. Great people, good times.

Sincerely,

Paul Angelino

August 25, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  16. Molly Jahncke

Just last week, Janet Napolitano made a visit to New Orleans to review recovery progress and made a stop at Southern University of New Orleans, which was decimated by Katrina. She joined SUNO’s president in proudly announcing that $32 million more in recovery funding (bringing SUNO’s total to $92 million) would be expedited to rebuild the campus, which serves about 3,000 students. This is great news for a particularly hard-hit and deserving N.O. school.

Yet, just a few miles away from SUNO, the main campus of the Greater New Orleans region’s largest higher education institution – Delgado Community College, which serves a credit enrollment of more than 16,500 students – sits still unable to use more than 40% of its square footage because, 4 years after the storm, those facilities have yet to be restored.

Worst of all, during fall 2009 registration, those space limitations caused Delgado to turn away students from the City Park Campus for the first time in the college’s history. And this at a time when community and technical college education is more important than ever (as recognized by President Obama and Governor Jindal) to building a qualified workforce that can serve business needs, gainfully employ people, and thus be an essential economic development catalyst.

Why are 8 buildings still out of service to date? It boils down to delays in progress caused by FEMA and Louisiana Facility, Planning and Control (FP&C) red tape. In some cases, the argument over the “51% rule” has slowed things down. In other cases, not being able to reach an agreement as to the cost to restore a facility to its original state is the culprit. Other times, repeated change orders have put a wrench in the progress of remediation projects. There are multiple excuses/problems, and none of them lie in Delgado’s court.

Delgado has been patiently, quietly trying to work with the system to get its facilities recovered and serve the community that now, more than even, needs workforce development education and training programs. But after little progress, the college’s chancellor of one year, Dr. Ron Wright, feels it’s time to make some noise. He’s baffled, frustrated and angered that Delgado has been ignored and its community’s needs are not being served.

Thank you for all you have done, Anderson, and all you continue to do for New Orleans, Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. As the fourth anniversary of Katrina approaches, perhaps you might find Delgado’s cause – and its importance to the community which needs its education and training so desperately – worthy of championing, and sharing with the nation. Thank you.

August 25, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  17. Judalyn Blake

Mr. Cooper I need your help? Your "Keeping them Honest in North Carolina". Can I send you my story?

August 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  18. heather wright

Thank you for not forgetting, Anderson. You are an adopted son to New Orleanians everywhere. I look forward to your reports this week.

August 25, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  19. Annie Kate

How are Waveland and the other places in Mississippi doing 4 years after they took the direct hit of the storm? Lets not forget them in our remembrance of the storm or in the rebuilding that still needs to be completed.

August 25, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  20. Albert Timmons

I can truely understand why it has taken such a long time for the survivors of Katrina to rebuild because the people who traveled from their homes to help rebuild after hurricane ike have yet to be compensated. There have been a number of phone calls made and broken promises to all of the workers some of whom have lost all of their worldly possessions because they decided to help a city in need. It has been almost a year and we continue to hear the check is in the mail. In the meantime so many of us have lost our homes, cars, families and basic way of living because we cannot get our just due. It is very difficult to deal with the Department of Labor when they owe you but if the tables were turned they would have been compensated a long time ago. The amount being paid out (when ever that is) is defintely not going to help those of us who slept on floors in the cold, outside in the cold and rain and who suffered hunger and homelessness, regain what we have lost. Please understand there were many people in texas who helped us when we had nothing by giving us food to eat and a place to stay and for those people we want to say thank you because without them we would have been just as bad off as the people directly hit by hurricane Ike. The Department of Labor shoud consider our livelyhoods when taking their time making payment.

August 25, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  21. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Anderson,

Almost every year (or every year) there are hurricanes in the US. Four years later, Katrina still remains like a wound still open.

There is the risk of another hurricane come, 'without notice', and take everything? What are the lessons learned by the government, lest it happen again?

Thanks!

August 25, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  22. Captain Humble

I watched you last night on CNN. You are one of my favorites. I was on New Orleans Radio and TV for almost thirty five years. My radio name was Captain Humble, and I've kept that moniker since I took it. I left the media scene to open a Po-Boy restaurant in my suburban neighborhood of Slidell in 2001, because we didn't have a good po-boy shop and as you know, that;s what we had for lunch everyday while growing up in New Orleans. To the chase, I was forced to close my restaurant at the end of February of this year. My father taught be to get more insurance than I needed because something like Katrina might happen. I did, from a company (USAA) that he turned me on to. I had homeowners, flood and "loss of use" insurance when Katrina hit. Lost it all, my business, my home and two vehicles. The lady I talked to the day after Labor Day '05 from USAA looked at my policies and said I was totally covered and told me to relax. I didn't relax, but now four years after the storm, I am about to be arrested because I owe so many people money , according to a sheriff who contacted me this morning. USAA owed me $25,000 in loss of use funds, which they told me they weren't going to pay. I have no record, am a law-abiding citizen and they said they weren't gonna pay it. Anderson, I need your help, please! Sincerely, Hugh Dillard, 295 Sun Valley Drive, Slidell, LA 70458-5125, 985-640-0916.

August 25, 2009 at 12:42 pm |