August 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/24/09

A paper bombshell exploded today when a Houston court released documents showing that Michael Jackson died of lethal levels of the powerful anesthetic propofol.

And that’s not all—the Associated Press is quoting a single law enforcement official, who says the L.A. County Coroner has ruled Michael Jackson's death a homicide.

We’ll have the latest on all of this breaking news.

The Justice Department has launched a criminal investigation into harsh questioning of detainees during President George W. Bush's war on terrorism.   We’ll dig deeper tonight.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline,Los Angeles

G'night to y'all. I have to go make dinner now.

August 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Titan must eat a whole bag of dog food every day.

August 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What scary story! Poor child!
    I'm nervous just thinking that I could be with my son!

August 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Caroline,Los Angeles

I love Great Danes. They are so oddly big and funny.

August 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Cynthia, NC

The photos and video footage of New Orleans just after Katrina never get easier to look at. The damage, the pain, and the suffering on the faces of the people who were there bring back all of the memories of what we saw through news reports. It’s great to see the progress being made with their schools.

I look forward to Thursday and Friday night’s shows!

August 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Faye Janine Pleso

Oh, that boy baby girl. I am so glad they were able to help her.

August 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

I can't wait the see "the tour" that James Carville will show to Anderson
    in New Orleans!

August 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Anthony

Anderson, I heard you are going to be in New Orleans on Thursday and Friday...where? I live here and would love to come see you live broadcast.

August 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Ben

how does this happen? the little girl rescued from the pool...there are requirements for pool drains to stop this sort of thing. shouldnt the county that this happened in have some responsibility for this near tragedy?

August 24, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Caroline,Los Angeles

@Teakesha--I didn't have to show my ID at one place I booked this summer. Besides, even if he had showed his ID do you think the registrar would have recognized him? I doubt it.

August 24, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Jacqueline, NY

Goodnight kiddies!

August 24, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  12. andersoncnn

mike i agree with you.. hard to call anything that hurt so many a blessing, but i understand why the young man feels that in his case at least.

August 24, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"After the Storm" was a good segment.

August 24, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

What does 'conditionally pass' someone mean? Either you pass or don't. Letting someone pass who doesn't deserve it isn't doing them any favors.

August 24, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. starr, formerly known as vincent

The story by Sean Callebs was excellent. It is so good to see that something positive came out of Katrina.

Even though not All of the childrens' needs are addressed, the overall improvement in the public school is impressive.

August 24, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

Thank god for Paul Vallas. We need more people like him.

August 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Mike Armstrong TX.

I cant say that Katrina was a blessing I would say that it was a government mistake that still needs fixen.

August 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Caroline,Los Angeles

I think the rule of holding kids back if they don't pass the 8th grade test is simply wrong. They should supply special high schools for those who are struggling.

August 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It's good to see good stories. It's nice when people can overcome the difficulties!

August 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Sarah Atlanta, GA

Nice to see you mentioning NOLA, Anderson and nice to know you'll be down there this week. Its been so long since you've mentioned it I thought you'd forgot about it.

August 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Anthonia-(Yay! Area)California

Maybe everything does happen for a reason.. Especially for the children in New Orleans!

August 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

They say that 3rd and 4th grade is when kids make the decision, will I be a smart kid, do well in school, or will I just fall through the cracks.

August 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Caroline,Los Angeles

Those classrooms are MUCH better equipped than any classroom I've seen in Los Angeles, except for when I worked at a private school.

August 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

They talk about the terrible public school system, i went to grades 3 – 11 in NO and when i came to PA for grade 12 had too many credits and only had to take english. My education was great. I guess it's what school you went to. I went to a magnet school, McMain. But this was the late 80's early 90's. Maybe it got worse.

August 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Lori

Thanks for Education After The Storm. Everyone deserves those opportunities.

August 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Jane - Vt

Thank you Anderson and James for following up on Katrina

August 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Everyone wants the government to keep us safe, but no one seems willing to do what it takes. This and more are done every day to keep us safe, and everyone in Congress knows it. It's pretty hypocritical to now second guess actions taken in the heat of war.

August 24, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Dulcie - Denver

Watching the fallout from some of these reality shows reinforces my thought that I'd never want to be on one. Yikes!

August 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Caroline,Los Angeles

I have never cared for reality shows except for "What No to Wear". The rest of them with people faux dating and playing politics I can live without.

August 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Jenkins, I've been following the story and i still don't know how they know this man killed his former wife.

August 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Mike Armstrong TX.

That guy was an aragant coward for killing that pretty girl he should have been caught and then tortured by the CIA.

August 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Sabrina in Los Angeles

My runway coach in Las Vegas knew Jasmine and mentioned about her getting married and about the ex boyfriend and about this guy...I don't remember the specifics.

Modeling/acting is a small world and we tend to meet each other or those who them. Law of 6 degrees of separation.

Dona Harris knew her.

August 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Sandra Robertson, GA

Thank you Devna.

August 24, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Jacqueline, NY

I think it's way high time these "REALITY" shows come to an end now.

August 24, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Caroline,Los Angeles

She was his ex-wife. I haven't heard why he killed her either. Usually for someone like this it's a control issue. She probably wanted to go somewhere or do something he didn't want her to do so he flew into a rage and here are the results.

August 24, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Will

CIA went too far but those guys wanted to distroy our country to. So I do not feel that bad for them.

August 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Those reality shows do not make good television. What make them think that they do!"

August 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Mike – I don't care what Al Qaeda's done, we're adults. Our moral standing is not measured by comparison to terrorists.

August 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Anthonia-(Yay! Area)California

What?! all reality shows should have a proper background checks! thats so unsafe..

August 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Cesar, CA

I don't think that the interrogators should be prosecuted for the tactics used for the detainees. As for the FBI taking over questioning detainees in the future, it seems like we're going from an active approach to a passive interrogation process that will get us nowhere in prosecuting those responsible in terrorist attacks against the United States.

August 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Devna AC360°

@Sandra To interrogate is defined as " to question formally and systematically" from Merriam Webster and therefore can be just a simple sit down question and answer session.

August 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. kara

Hello Anderson & Erica
    Where is Jenkins parents? Why aren't they speaking out? or saying anything about their x daughter in law?

August 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Lori

I would like to get rid of reality TV......except for Hell's Kitchen and American Idol.

August 24, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What a sad story and dramatic. Poor families!

August 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Cheryl

I don't care how they get information from the terrorists, they attacked us and probably will again if we don't get the info first.
    The interrogators are only doing what they need to do to keep our country safe.

August 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. ann

did the c.ia. use those things on hussein and stil nothing

August 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Teakesha

How do you in 2009 get a hotel room without any ID?

August 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Jen, Albany NY

That was a great piece with Sanjay. It is amazing to see has fast the patient goes under. Also, shows how important patients have to be monitored in case they stop breathing, which was the case of the man in the segment.
    Hopefully all the Dr.'s involved with the Michael Jackson case, will face consequences, to help cut down on this in the future,.

August 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I'm curious, do we know why Jenkins killed his wife? I'm a bit out of the loop.

August 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Chris Sosa, I find Al Queda's sadistic techniques much worse. No one died from harsh words and threats.

August 24, 2009 at 10:39 pm |