August 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/24/09

A paper bombshell exploded today when a Houston court released documents showing that Michael Jackson died of lethal levels of the powerful anesthetic propofol.

And that’s not all—the Associated Press is quoting a single law enforcement official, who says the L.A. County Coroner has ruled Michael Jackson's death a homicide.

We’ll have the latest on all of this breaking news.

The Justice Department has launched a criminal investigation into harsh questioning of detainees during President George W. Bush's war on terrorism.   We’ll dig deeper tonight.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. mickey

the timeline seems off –why would you give a sleeping drug around 10 am ish?usually you are getting up and getting ready to practice-

August 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Mely, ultimately it was MJ's body and he is responsible for what went into it. No one forced him.

August 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

How often do people stop breathing on propofol?

August 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I was given that stuff and when you feel the thick burning feeling hit your shoulder, it is already all around the body and you are out.

IT puts you out quickly and you recover like 20 minutes later.

August 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  5. cliff hellmers

So if it was a lethal dose of propofol in his blood the Doctor gave a much larger dose than he admitted to. It wasn't 25mg

August 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Clearly the doctor had no motive to kill the person paying him $150,000 a month.

August 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  7. S Gomez

I did have a good weekend, i hope you did to.

August 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Julie

Of coarse this is not Michael Jackson's fault! Michael was not trained to know what will kill him, Dr. Murray supposedly was. Murray had the power to not give the prescriptions.

August 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Kathy

I love your show

August 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  10. ericacnn

hi, everyone. great to have you on the blog tonight. i thought dr dhar was great – fantastic information.

August 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Eileen Whitty

We keep hearing about and seeing the clips of Michael Jackson's last rehearsal in the company of musicians and dancers. Has anyone spoken to them and asked them their assessment of Michael's physical/mental condition during this time?

August 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  12. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Geepers, how do you get addicted to diprivan and anesthesia drug? Should the drug be controlled? well, DUH!

August 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Kernan

When I first heard that Dr. Conrad was a cardiologis, I was amazed that he did not have a defibrilator in the house, especially knowing all the drugs MJ was taking. I believe he is neglegent in that aspect as well.

August 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Jeffrey Tobin would normally be right, and this would end up as malpractice. I'm sure MJ's fans will push for special treatment.

August 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Darren Yan

It is strange that Dr. Murray would find it appropriate to make these alleged injections if the consequences of such drugs are so well-known in the medical field.

The fact that someone could be killed following the administration of the said drugs should have been more than a sufficient deterrent for any doctor to re-consider their client's request.

August 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Jay

good evening Anderson,

this is really sad! everybody kind of already knows this! but to have an actual report and a prove! where's Dr. Murray now by the way? and the report about the 47 mins of calls " before calling 911" is really shocking and weird!

August 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Cynthia, NC

@Jane – Vt.....Hello!

Beware....this blog is addicting!

August 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Marilyn Ventress

Anderson, I have never join anyone's Blog but I need to speak out today. Think about Murray a certified cardiologist, giving a sick man a cocktail such as the one he gave Michael Jackson sounds like murder to me. The real question is who put him up to it?
    Michael was sick, he had insomnia, he was preparing for the tour of his lifetime, no one was a victim in this. If you give anyone a lethal cocktail of those drugs for money, you killed them, period. I wanted to have empathy for Dr Murray but no more he knew better.

August 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. bea

Seems to me this is more complicated than a simple addiction. MJ had pain problems that were unresolved and thus like many patients he kept pushing doctors to address them. Our country does not manage pain well at all. MJ didn't want propopol, he wanted sleep and a painless night.

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Anthonia-(Yay! Area)California

I dont understand why a doctor would supply thier patients with a large amount of drugs that they know can kill them...!

I wonder if Dr. Murray knew what he was doing and how many patients did Dr. Murray deal with before Michael.

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Mely California

@Mike, Syracuse, NY I have to disagree with you i think the death was mainly responsible by the doctor . The doctor job is to take care of its patients not killing them. Dr. Murray knew well enough that those drugs were harmful and dangerous . He didn't care about Michael but his money . I find it sad that know one knew helped Michael with his addiction to prescription drugs.

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Caroline,Los Angeles

Money and power influencing people in Los Angeles? I'm shocked. I tell ya, I'm shocked! 😉

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Yep, they will find people who will agree with them so they can stay near by....all the time.

I hate that about this city.

You can't be an affective parent if you are HIGH!....doesn't work.

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Daphne

Anderson:
    As a lifelong insomniac I know many medications that for most people will relax and/or put them to sleep will have quite the opposite effect on others. I recall a time I was prepped for surgery and was given 10 mg of valium to relax me. My anesthesiologist asked me if I had taken the valium because I was so very hyper. Although there has been too much attention to Michael Jackson's death I need to speak out about his drug usage. Insomniacs truly want to sleep and will do anything for this cause. Truly!!!! Michael Jackson was just trying to get some sleep. I can relate.

August 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. s.campbell, MD

The psychiatrist on the show obviously does not prescribe these meds! As an anesthesiologist, I give 2-4mg Versed to patients every day – and most teens/adults are still talking after IV dosing! And 25mg of Propofol is NOT a lethal dose. I give more than this to kids – combined with vesed. If propofol it was what killed him, he would have stopped breathing in under 60 seconds – not 20 minutes later like the timeline suggests. Something else is going on here...

August 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Barbara

I'm shocked at the cocktail of drugs involved in this case.
    I'm also concerned that other doctors are doing this to their patients.
    It was brought out that Michael was under 150lbs and given these powerful drugs. I weigh about that and I'm being prescribed 2 mgs of Ativan for anxiety at night along with methadon for pain–is this a dangerous combination?

August 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Great point. MJ has been held up a 'father of the year'. Well sorry, a good father isn't hooked on drugs to the point he dies of an overdose leaving his kids orphans.

August 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Caroline,Los Angeles

I have a question: Is this state that MJ was put into on a regular basis really sleep? Does being sedated keep the body well the way real sleep does?

August 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. CAROLYN J

the doctor and doctors should be jailed, anderson i have insomnia
    im never intoxicated from 2mg lorezapam or diszapam.....
    doctor dont give those meds often.

August 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. bea

Well Jeff Toobin, the only reason the law doesn't generally prosecute doctors is because there is allegedly a self regulating professional agency out there tregulating doctors to which the state has ceded power. The rich get protection. This is a good case in which to change that rule.

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

MJ's body became adjusted to those drugs, but not as a combination of drugs. Which he could not be revived.

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

MJ obviously didn't want to die, this is why he hired a cardiologist. He knew what he was doing may cause his heart to stop. He took steps to insure he could continue his drug abuse. Just shows drug abuse can kill, no matter how "careful" you are.

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Kwhit

This is un real

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Devna AC360°

@David The affidavit is different from the official coroner's report – which has not been released yet.

@Jane Welcome!

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Nan, NY

Negligent homicide...thats what I think it is, and agree with these panelists. Why would Murray want to kill MJ? He didn't know he was making a cocktail and what about the addiction factor that probably existed... medical malpractice for sure!

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Kellee-Portland

Poor MJ was an addict, it's just sad that nobody could help him.

August 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Caroline,Los Angeles

Hi Anderson and CNN reporters. So glad the Drs. are here tonight to explain how addiction can build up a person's resistance to drugs and why MJ was so resistant to them.

August 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Teresa, OH

Involuntary/ unintentional homicide for Dr. Murray. He will serve very little time, if any. MJ sure had a high tolerance for drugs and he must have been abusing for years to get to that level.

Dr. Murray went for the money and it didnt pay off this time.

August 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Kwhit

He should be charge sorry he a doctor he should of knew better

August 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Devna AC360°

Go to twitter.com/cnndevna and re-tweet my last post. Invite all your friends to join the conversation with Anderson!

August 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  41. Mark

Yea propofol should be controlled. I find it amazing that some of those who are so against healthcare reform because they don't want someone from the government between them and their doctor. In this case, Have someone between me and my doctor. Especially if that doctor is someone like this one. This is murder by scrip.

August 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Eva

Ativan is a very powerful drug. My doctor prescribed Ativan 1 mg for me and this drug sent me to sleep for the entire night and I would wake up mid morning. what was MJ thinking or Dr. Murry thinking when he administered all those drugs including propofol to MJ

August 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Lori

Can others who contributed over the years to MJ's addiction be charged in some way?

August 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. brian

Dr murray probably could have saved michael jackson's life by simply having emergency airway equipment available. He was woefully negligent.

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Sandy

Why any Doc would give this in that environment...absurd...we give similar doses for reducing dislocations in the ER...it requires monitors, resuscitation equip...bottom line would any other responsible phys act the same way....

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Missy

Did Dr. Murray perscribe and administer these drugs to MJ? Would Dr. Murray be qualified to perscribe medications for something outside his field of medicine?

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Susan Paola, KS

Isn't this proof what money can buy.....everyone has a price and unfortunately MJ paid the high price with his life. So sad and not necessary.

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. starr, formerly known as vincent

I have to admit, i'm stunned that Any Dr. would give the amount of sedatives to someone and Then give them Diprivan.

I'm also confused as to Why(?), having given so many sedatives, the Dr. did Not have Any resusitation equipment in the house.

Clearly the Dr. is Negligent,. Why did he think he could Leave MJ, un monitored for Any lenght of time!

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Scott

This is sad news. I thought doctors took an oath to first do no harm!

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

The abuse of medication by these doctors, including Dr. Murray, is disgusting and frankly a bit shocking. Amazing the things seemingly respectable people will do for money.

@Devna – I very much appreciate her reporting. She's an exceptional investigative reporter.

August 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |