August 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/21/09

CNN has learned that the federal budget deficit is now projected to be $9-trillion, over 10 years. That’s up from the previous estimate of $7-trillion.

Also tonight, confusion over a star athlete’s gender. 18-year old South African runner, Caster Semenya won the gold medal in the world women’s 800 meter event in Berlin. But that achievement has been overshadowed by a gender verification test ordered by athletic officials.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jacqueline, NY

That's funny!

August 21, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Good night and great weekend all! To those of us on the east-coast, stay dry!

August 21, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  3. jane MI

Await for future reactions re: MV's resuming pro-football...So far the kids
    I've encountered have had neg responses w/him returning

August 21, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Isabel • Brazil

Good night, Anderson, Erica, David (Indiana) and friends!

A great weekend for us…

August 21, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Adeline, Luxembourg

Anderson, when are you coming to Europe again? I promise we're not as boring as we look. Why don't you come to one of those French talk shows....??? It's my understanding ppl in France and Europe like your reporting. well....I am going to pass out now...so good night everyone and sleep tight.

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. starr, formerly known as vincent

Wow! Haven't heard of Lt. Caley in a Long Time. I'm glad he finally got around to apologizing (over 40 yrs.).

It's no surprise given what this man did, that it took this long for an apology.

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Jacqueline, NY

@ Mark, You're welcome. Don't worry, we bark but be don't bite....Well, only sometimes. LOL!

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Letitia

Wow, I guess Arlen Spector is really worried about re-election prospects...but stand-up comedy? I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Kathy Chicago

Happy week-end AC and crew! Hope next week is great for you all, also.

August 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Fay - California

Wasn't "Jaws" filmed in Martha's Vineyard? I've always wanted to visit there.

August 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Adeline, Luxembourg

@Letitia: I was thinking the same thing. I don't think he decided to pull out the teeth out the blue just after killing her, the guy is very twisted.

August 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Can't the White House just put limits on access for reporters who get out of line with the President's kids, cutting them off until they behave appropriately?

August 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Kathy Chicago

I will be watching all of the reports next week,from MV. We want to visit, also!

August 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Adeline, Luxembourg

I cringe everytime I see the model's pictures on yahoo news when checking my email. It's so sad to see her smiling on the pics yet you know now she's gone. I cannot believe how many twisted and lunatics people are out there on the loose....I hope they find him and jail him for eternity.

August 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Mark, Pa

following you on twitter anderson

August 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  16. LisaL - Canada

some of these guys use their power and influence to get whatever they want. they pay for these girls – their implants, apartments, entertainment, everything to the point where they really feel like they own another person and their life.

August 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Dulcie - Denver

I'm no doctor, but there are enormous variations in male and female genitals (no pun intended) and there are statistical outliers at both ends of the spectrum. External genitalia can be an indication, but isn't necessarily the whole story.

August 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    As you know i watch your show know for 2 years,because i am interistingin in news,with fact,and truth,and of course i like the way you did and do your show.Yes you are right its 4.47.in the morning,but i can sleep after your show.
    what makes me sad,you never realize or thank me,for this,not easy to tra writing english in this time,i think i cant write german in nighttine

August 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Got to getaway!

August 21, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Melissa-Erie, Pa

Watching AC360 and eating oreos....life is good!! Great show tonight!

August 21, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Anderson is worldwide famous now 😀

August 21, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Cynthia, NC

Probably not the best weekend to vacation in Martha's Vineyard.

August 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Letitia

This assault HAD to be premeditated. You would have to have some serious tools on hand to pull out teeth! Usually not the kind of stuff that you carry in your back pocket.

August 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope Ryan Jenkins will be caught by Sheriff and FBI anytime..... I am really mad at him who Megan killed by him! 🙁

August 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Adeline, Luxembourg

The gender story is unbelievable...makes me laugh.

August 21, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Lori, IL

Okay - this model murder story is just creepy. Whoever the murderer is, is really sick - but then again someone capable of murder, is probably capable of just about anything. And who knew breast implants had serial numbers?!

August 21, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. starr, formerly known as vincent

This story about the murdered model is very disturbing.

However, the man who did this, obviously didn't realized that breat implants have serisl numbers. He apparently thought that removal of the fingers and teeth would make it almost impossible to identify her.

If it's her ex-husband (or whoever), that man needs to be confined from the light of day forever. I sure hope they find him.

August 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  28. jane MI

Interesting story–never knew how complex it is to scientifically identify gender!!...Thou she really does show so many masculine features...

August 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Reza, CA

Hello Anderson,
    Its obvious that George W. Bush used various fear tactics to win the election. Tom Ridge is just another proof. I think more officials from the previous administration will continue to express what went on behind the curtains.

August 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Mark, Pa

i would never be able to cut someones teeth out, i cringe when i just think about it...

August 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Letitia

They should throw this guy under the jail!

August 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Adeline, Luxembourg

@Gady: pursue !!!!!!!

August 21, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Laura

I think they should not single her out. If they test her they should test everyone.

August 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. George

Hello Anderson,

Regarding Caster Semenya: Is it worth humiliating a person on an international stage over a sport? Should the sport's governing body not have done their homework ahead of time in this case?

Just wondering,

George

August 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I watch your show during my lunch break.

Come and report from Sydney.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

August 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Mark, Pa

thanks jacqueline 🙂

August 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. cicly

evening folks; where's the lovely erica?

August 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Cynthia, NC

The track star story is so bizzare. Wonder if the gender issue will be raised in other sports in the near future?

August 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Huh, so if she did not physically alter her sex and she just happens to have dormant testosterone or extra chromosome, that's hardly a reason to disqualify her. That seems unfair. They didn't disqualify Michael phelps for having larger than normal wing span and abnormal double joints.

August 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Fay - California

Who would've thought that determining gender is so complicated? Such a bizarre story.

August 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

The problem is that those athletes they work out so much from such a young age that they just don't get to grow up "normally". I mean come on... what to they want to be 100% sure that they're female? Maybe Pam Anderson?

August 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Lori, IL

The gender issue is fascinating -

How can we penalize someone who was born with gender characteristics outside the norm?

August 21, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. lampe

According to her, this is not the first time she has been questioned concerning this matter.

August 21, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Letitia

@ Victor, I was thinking the same thing

August 21, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Mark, Pa

its working! 🙂

August 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Jacqueline, NY

@ Anderson: "amazing how many are watching us in europe, where it is very early in the morning.. thanks."

I welcomed firstmer, Mark to the looney bin. I guess I should have made that welcome to the 'Looney for AC360 Bin'.

August 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Suraj, he was fairly tried and convicted. The evidence was overwhelming and two appeals upheld the conviction. Name one person in prison who claims they are guilty.

August 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think man is she!!!! Why he want change her gender?????? I don't know why he want change gender..... Really confusing to me!

August 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. starr, formerly known as vincent

This story on the runner is truly one of the strangest stories i have heard in a long time.

Trust Gary Tuchman to find the story. Each new story he does seems to better than the last.

Who knew that proving gender was to complicated?!

August 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    For the victims families it must be a nightmare,This murder rceived in Lybia like a hero.He is a murder,he knows he will kill trehalose passinger,who have no chance to survive

August 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm |