August 20th, 2009

Tribute site for Lockerbie victims

270 people were killed in the Lockerbie plane bombing in 1988.

270 people were killed in the Lockerbie plane bombing in 1988.

VictimsofPanAmFlight103.com

Victims' family members and advocates are grieving anew as the only man convicted in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland - which killed 270 people - was released Thursday from a British prison.

Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, 57, sick with advanced prostate cancer, was released on compassionate grounds and sent home to Libya to die, Scottish authorities said. Megrahi, who prosecutors said was a Libyan intelligence agent, was convicted in 2001 of placing a bomb on the Boeing 747.

Check out this tribute site devoted to the victims of the Pan Am Flight 103 terrorist attack. To learn more about the victims and to read about the attack, click here.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Terrorism
  1. J.R. Rylo

And what compassion did Megrahi show to those on PA 103?

Megrahi should have been left to die on foreign soil ... as so many of those he murdered.

In 2000, my children and I visited the crash site, the lovely tributes and memorials in the local churches, and the little graveyard in Lockerbie to pay homage to those souls. A new grave marked the resting place of a poor soul that had committed suicide; his name matched those on a stone memorializing a family lost in Lockerbie when the jet hit.

Over dinner in a local pub we learned that he chose to end his life because he could no longer bear the pain he had borne for so many years after his family was wiped out when the jet plowed into their Lockerbie home.

I am an American. I am an airline veteran. I have experience with terrorist negotiations. And I have dined with a man whose young Navy Seal brother was killed by Shiite militant terrorists after he repeatedly and resolutely refused to acquiesce to their demands. They ignominiously dumped his body onto the tarmac in Beirut on June 15, 1985.

Upon reflection of these memories, I cannot help but remember the Scottish national anthem, "Scotland the Brave" and join those throughout the globe who mourn the decision of a relatively new Scottish parliamentarian who leans on "compassionate grounds".

August 21, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  2. Terry / Washington State

The only way to truly know what the family, friends and relatives of the victims is like is to be one. I am so very sorry for the decision made by the Scottish government. I can only assume it would be like a second dagger to the heart. Somehow I hope knowing there's so many sympathetic to your anguish is in a small way comforting. May you continue to have wonderful memories of shared moments with those taken too soon.

August 21, 2009 at 6:13 am |
  3. Michael

Twenty years of pain and loss...now they have to relive it again as the human garbage responsible (or one of them anyway) is released for humanitarian reasons. I can't imagine the horror of this and how the surviving family and friends feel. I didn't know anyone affected by this God-awful tragedy but my heart and sympathies are with them all. This is a travesty. God be with you all.

August 21, 2009 at 2:50 am |
  4. Wilfred O Aghoghovbia

Dear Mr Anderson Cooper,
    I ask that this comment of mine be discreet to your ears only because of its very sensitive nature.
    Having said that, I wonder if at the time of compensation to the lockerbie victims whether any of the family of the victims did remember to indicate or mention to the commitee to decline any form of early release to the jailed libyan?
    It will be a very hideous and terrible thing to do (that is, to release him) if such discussion were ever at mention at the table.
    – There is no price tag for a soul, but can public know what the compensation is?
    – Can this Libyan be brought back to the Prison and die there?
    -What has the British Gov. has to say about this?
    The Almighty God is a God of mercy and a God of second chance.
    Please share your thoughts with me sir.

August 21, 2009 at 12:35 am |
  5. Libyan

I am very disappointed by the shallowness of all the people accusing Libyans of welcoming this terrorist back. I'm from Libya and I can assure you that most Libyans oopose Gaddafi and disapprove of his crazy actions which include oredring this terrorist to bomb that plane. Libyan oppostion organizations can be found all over the western world and many of their memebers have been murdered by Gaddafi intellegence officers just like Megrahi. The very reason for him being ordered to bomb that plane was that a prominent Libyan opposition memebr was expected to boeard it. The welcome party you all saw on TV was oragnized by Gaddafi's regime and the people you saw are merely his minions and they don't represent the true good nature of Libyans. These rallys are easily organized in democratic countries, let alone a dictatorship like Libya. People, please get a little bit more educated and informed before throwing judgements on good people like Libyans who have suffered more than anyone else from Gaddafi's crimes, one of which is murdering 1200 men in cold blood in THE SAME DAY at the notoroious Abu Salim prison in Tripoli in 1996. Thx Anderson Cooper for pointing out that 'the welcome party consisted of people who wore the same T-shirt and looked like they were rallied'.

August 20, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  6. David Edwards

The Peter Principal is alive and working well in Scotland

August 20, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  7. Eric Rafferty

My sister Bonnie "Rafferty" Williams and her husband Eric Williams and their two infant daughters Stephanie and Brittany, were on flight 103. They never made it home to be with their family to live and die as they wished, so why should that terrorist be allowed to be with his family to die? And recieve a hero's welcome. After putting my family through hell. This makes me sick, I will never forget what has happened today, and I will never forgive.

August 20, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  8. Brian C

I have been reading about Scottish compassion on releasing this guy so he can go home to die.
    Sorry I am a Scottish Canadian and my only compassion is for the 270 people and their families.
    I am embarassed that the judge in Scotland feels the need to release him.
    Do the crime, serve the time.

August 20, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  9. Kathy

Also I forgot. Isn't this strange that this place is in TX of all places?

August 20, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  10. Toni Renier

Don't understand for the life of me why when Don Imus made a racist comment you guys were all over this and when Glen Beck is now being suspended for his bigoted racist remarks you hear nothing about it except on Oberman?. You covered Don Imus like you did Michael Jackson. It was on national news non stop. You interviewed everyone from Al Sharpton to joe blow down the street. Glen Beck? Nothing. Why?

Toni

August 20, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  11. Stan Raczynski

Megrahi : What a nice humanitarian decision. He will have some months to blow up several other plains. I recommend not to travel by plain within the next three or four months.

August 20, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  12. Patricia

As a native of the UK (now living in the USA) I am totally disgusted at the at the decision to allow this animal to go free. He should be doing 270 life sentences for his crime. He had no compassion whatsoever for his victims and deserves no compassion in return. I was living in the UK when the crash happened and to say it affected the country deeply is an understatement. My heart and prayers go out to the familys now having to grow through this all over again all through a thoughtless government official. I am , normally, a very patriotic ex-Brit but on this occasion I am ashamed of my country for allowing this mass murderer to go free.

August 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  13. Susan, Vancouver

I am so sorry for the Lockerbie families who have been affected by the decision of the Scottish Justice. I am sure, at the time, the Justice thought he was doing the right thing. It is my hope that he regrets it now.

There is no way that someone who planted a bomb knowing that it would kill a plane full of people deserves any mercy. If Justice really was blind, this man would never have lived to go home again.

August 20, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  14. Jamie

This is their decision and none of our business. Furthermore they did not give him a free pass.He was released to a Lybian Jail so he could die in his own country in Jail. This is due to the UK having a Prisoner Transfer Agreement with Libya.

August 20, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  15. Patty A Banks Palmdale, Ca

I was shocked to see this man 'WALK" off the plane, something his victims didn't get a chance to do! and what happens if he's miraculously cured? does he go back to prison?

August 20, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  16. bstn02152

COMPASSIONATE GROUNDS??!

how compationate was he when he blew up a plane with 300 PEOPLE on it??? did they get to say goodbye?!!!!

this makes me sick i feel SO SORRY for the families...

August 20, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  17. L. Carilo

Thanks for keeping us informed CNN. ~ L.C.

August 20, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  18. Annie Kate

I remember this news breaking on CNN and the horror of the pictures that came back to us once film crews got to the scene. It was a terrible way to die; a terrible way to imagine people's loved ones dying like that. And while there may have been other terrorist attacks before then, it seems like Lockerbie was the first large terrorist attack against the West. Whether it was the first attack or not, it was the first that really caught my attention – it was so sad and made more so by the time of the year.

I don't agree with compassioinate leave for these type of criminals. They showed no compassion in the planning and execution of their killings. I'm sure the people that died of Lockerbie would have preferred to die at home with all their family around them – why should he rate any different treatment?

August 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm |