August 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/20/09

We have new information tonight about an alleged struggle within the Bush administration just days before the 2004 presidential election. According to Former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, senior officials including former Attorney General John Ashcroft and former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, pushed to raise the terror threat level to orange after Osama Bin Laden released an audiotape critical of then President George W. Bush.

And victims' family members and advocates are grieving today as the only man convicted in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland - which killed 270 people - was released on humanitarian grounds Thursday from a British prison. We speak to one man whose brother was killed in the attack.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Fay - California

I love how the dog is so relentless in expressing its affection for that anchor.

August 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Evening! "Down boy!"

August 20, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

haha, my dog would have done worse.....licked them to death and leave hair on them

August 20, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Steve Colby

I live in Tsawwassen, which is the community just inside the Canadian border from Point Roberts, WA. If that suspect fleeing from the authorities in California really has crossed over into Canada, what upsets me is that he will hide under the protective umbrella of Canadian Law. Canada doesn't have the death penalty, we barely have live sentences, so you can bet he will not be handed back unless the guarantee of no death penalty is given. Do the crime in a country you should do the time in the country where you committed the crime.

August 20, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Dulcie - Denver

Good night all! Hope everyone has a great Friday! Can't wait for Anderson's healthcare special tomorrow night.

August 20, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!
    Day of the shot with dogs play around lick her face, can't push dog away!!! Funny shot!!! LOL!! 🙂 can't handle dogs!!!!
    Anderson,
    I can't wait see you and others challenge health care tomorrow night!
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

August 20, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Heidi Ann Berg

goodnight everyone...Anderson

August 20, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. LisaL - Canada

i have seen this dog-shot coming up ... it is worth watching over and over and over again ... a definite favorite

August 20, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Samantha,New Jersey

Look at that dog!!!!!

August 20, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Isabel • Brazil

Anderson
    Great interview! It is difficult for mothers in this situation exposing emotions, but you get it from them.

August 20, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

A JC Penney store with more than one million dollars of jewelry? Is that really possible? That's a lot of watches and trinkets....

August 20, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

I live on the other side of the state but Im still keeping my eyes open for this guy

August 20, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Man i cant even imagine if Ryan Jenkings would of murdered Megan on vh1!

August 20, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Kevin

I've followed the story on the hikers a little. What were those kids doing in Iraq in the first place? Are tourists just allowed to visit whenever?

August 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Mely California

@ Anthonia i agree with your comment , people should more aware when they travel to certain parts of the middle east.....

August 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Anderson, you were really good with those moms. Getting the info without upsetting them. I'm always amazed at how strong moms can be.

August 20, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Tabitha

I hope they find Jenkins and put him in jail. What he did is horrible.

August 20, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel • Brazil,
    I agree with you, Anderson, Dr Sanjay Gupta and Peter Bergen will stay safe there in Afghanistan.... I am not worry about them, Just pray for them.

August 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Heidi Ann Berg

That was great you had Ron Paul on.I was kinda wondering what he thought about this Health care reform .He didn't say he was against it or for it ,that's a good sign.Hopeful that it will turn out for the best

August 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Sandra Robertson, GA

God bless Shane, Joshua and Sarah and I pray the Iranian officials will soon release them so they may be reunited with their families.

August 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Cynthia, NC

What a difficult situation for the mothers of the missing hikers. I hope they will be returned safely to their families very soon.

August 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

I feel for the mother's and hope their kids will be let go free soon. That said, those three seemed like smart, educated people, so they probably knew very well that the Iranians would arrest them if they accidentally crossed the border.

August 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Jacqueline, NY

... but I do hope they are released and returned home safe and sound.

August 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Samantha,New Jersey

poor moms..

August 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, Thank you so much for doing the story on the 3 young Americans in Iran.

We (the public) have heard precious little about this event.

I'm also glad that the Mom's are organized and trying to do something for their children. I hope there is something we (the public) can do to support them in their efforts.

August 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Isabel • Brazil

Poor mothers.

The worst that can happen to a mother is to know that your kid isn’t well. While safety and welfare of a child are a joy on the size of the world for a mother. I wish this mother to reclaim their son safely.

August 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Sharon Hastings

Yes, Anderson. Obama will get a health care plan passed. I'm just fearful it won't be strong enough. Even for those lucky Americans who have health insurance, we have seen our benefits shrink and shrink while the cost to us continues to rise and the insurance companies continue to enjoy huge profits.

August 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Heather - Spokane, WA

How can someone know whether or not they crossed over a border that no one is allowed to be in? Unless they are familiar with the area they will never know

August 20, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    I agree with you, it is very somber tonight! It is very quiet night to remember victims.

August 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Travelers going to Middle East should be protected because there are alot of kidnappers! i hope they are safe though...!

August 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Tabitha

Why are there suddenly so many Americans being held in foreign countries? Or has this been happening for a while, just with less media coverage?

August 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Regarding Senator Kennedy. I disagree with changing the law. It would set a bad example and a bad precedent. When people are too ill to work, or to just get to work, they resign. Senator Kennedy needs to do the right thing–resign.

August 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Samantha,New Jersey

I think he will get it passed, but I think in doing that he is making a lot of Americans uneasy. Personally, I am against it.

August 20, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Fay - California

Is there going to be real reform if the public option is not a part of the plan?

August 20, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. starr, formerly known as vincent

I just Love Ron Paul. I don't want him as president, but you have to respect this man's honesty & straight forward talk.

August 20, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Max

The anger is fabricated for the most part.....Look at the facts......don't let scare tacticts and lies shape the future of America.....

August 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

@AndreinFL

You make a good point, but Jeff Toobin just said that their T-shirts were in celebration of what he did, not who he is. Which is pretty sick in my opinion.

August 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

How can one celebrate one dying life for so many innocent lives destoried? Even if it is about the act, some is wrong with that behavior.

August 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I don't get the athlete thing, how could they not know what gender they are? Shouldn't a doctor be able to tell, chromosomes and all that?

August 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Senator Kennedy supported changing the law 5 years ago to hold a special election. Now just for him, he wants it changed back. Pure politics.

August 20, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Isabel • Brazil

@ Anderson
    I worry about you when you go to dangerous places like Afganistan, but it'll be nice to see some field reporting from you.
    You're at your best when in the field. I like it, but just be careful!

August 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  42. sharon, sydney, ns

I think they should leave the girl runner alone. She's 18 years old and is who she is. If there is any real gender question (a matter of genetics), it's for sure she didn't alter herself to win a race.

August 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am thinking about Senator Edward Kennedy to heal, I agree with him, He want change law replace for him, because he is too sick to show up to vote. my heart goes to Senator Edward Kennedy.

August 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Erica, I think we should find out what dvds were being played on those "cumbustible" dvd players when they started to burn (Disco Inferno?).

August 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  45. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Even if you don't believe the plumbing, can't sex be determined by DNA?

August 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Jim Frost

Compassionate release is an economic decision. If the prison system "compassionately" releases a prisoner, they do not have to pay for their medical bills. It can be a huge money saver for the state. Interesting use of the term "compassionate".

August 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

@Erica- That was before my time but i send my prayers to the family of the pam am 103!

August 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Terry

Shame on Scotland! As a Syracuse Univ. student during the Pam Am flight bombing, I knew some of the victims The memory of my friends is still fresh in my mind. Why does he get the dignity of dying with his family when the victims he murdered were taken from their loved ones? He should never have been released.

August 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Minou, New York City

Can a man really hide himself in those tight running shorts??

August 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Michael Ware & Peter Bergen together in Afganistan? Please, please be careful & stay safe!!

August 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm |