August 19th, 2009

Tonight: Text 360°

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/08/art.text360.jpg]

AC360°

Tonight we will be taking your questions on health care.

We're cutting through the political rhetoric and answering your questions about substantive change to the country's health care system.

Now the Obama administration is looking hard at pushing through a health care reform bill without Republican backing, top Democrats close to the White House told CNN.

How will this impact the plans for reform? What does this mean for your medical care and your bottom line? We'll be looking into this tonight. Do you have a question? Let us know!

Send us a text message with your question. Text AC360 (or 22360), and you might hear it on air!

Filed under: T1 • Text 360
  1. Dave Ewing

I have heard Robert Rector from the Heritage Foundation speak about health care for illegal immigrants without any regard to eligibility requirements. Is this true? Wouldn't this create a financial burden?

August 19, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  2. Christy Beckham

This debate is completely ridiculous - AC360 - someone on your staff needs to take a survey of all of the insured individuals out there and ask how many of them are stuck in jobs they can't stand just to get health care - how many have lost their jobs and don't have health care - how many young people/students are out there without a net?

What are we thinking - are we so self-centered as a nation that we don't care about each other??? What about the small businesses that can't afford to provide health care for their employees but give someone like my husband who lost his job from a large corporation where he had health care and worked for 22 years to this small business - where at least he's working to get a paycheck - but the business can't provide him with health care coverage??? What's that all about -

We should all be up in arms about having this thing fail!!! Every single citizen in this country has a stake in this - and why should be let those thieving insurance and pharmaceutical companies put on their lavish events/parties and give kickbacks to doctors and deny coverage - and we let them continue to do business as usual????

What is that saying? the definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?? Isn't that what we have been doing with big medical business??

Enough already!!

My family is covered for medical and dental - but I feel a sense of responsibility for all those out there who don't and can't afford to have coverage. Besides if those without insurance need medical assistance their only recourse is going to ER - which we as taxpayers end up footing the bill for - how insane is that?

Come on America, wake up! Look at this debate logically. Ask yourselves what the consequences are of inaction.

August 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  3. Al

This whole issue really hits home with me, because I have been, and still am one of the millions of uninsured in America. It's not because I'm lazy, or under educated, it's because of bad situations. While I was growing up, my mother (a single parent) couldn't afford the cost of her work's insurance because it would take to much out of her paychecks. My childhood was basically spent praying that cuts and bumbs wouldn't become anything dangerous. If it was life threatening, we would try our best to get by on rice and ramen noodles for the rest of the month.

Now that I am grown, I would love to have health insurance myself, but still find myself unable to get it. As I am going for a Computer Science major, I must work full time to pay for it and to pay for my living expenses, which really doesn't leave much left over in the budget for private insurance or the costly insurance I could get through my job. I am almost out college now though, so thankfully I will be able to afford at least something on my own.

The real point I am trying to make however, is that there are other children out there now, whose parents are in a similar spot as my mother was. We shouldn't have families in America who have to make a choice between keeping the kids healthy, or eating for the rest of the month. And there shouldn't be mothers, who like my own did, cry themselves to sleep knowing there child really does need to see a doctor, but can't, because of the all mighty dollar.

August 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  4. Dave, AZ

To fix the medical system, don't you first have to fix the legal system? Isn't the legal system what drove up medical costs to start with by causing medical mal-practice insurance costs to sky rocket?

August 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  5. Luis Mora

I am senior in high school here in AZ .With the world in crisis I still do not understand why there is such hate for the lack of a better term towards President's Obama's healthcare plan. I see that other countries in Europe have been using a universal healthcare program for years and yet their citizens are able to lead healthier lives than most Americans, Countries like Germany, the UK, France, and many more have a universal health care programs that are run by their government people would not call Germany communist, nor Great Britain,so why not us? If we are suppose to be the greatest nation in the world then why not us? Is that not what being an American is all about? The ability to choose is one that we should all remember is a fundamental one when talking about a democracy.

August 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  6. Sam, GA

why won't people wake up and get a clue. Just because the government is providing healthcare to all doesnt mean we're becoming socialist. Whats with all the outrage and fear? Most of the advanced democracies of the western world have some kind of public, guaranteed healthcare. As for the government running it, have we not got enough examples of how it can run things well? VA health system? Post office? Schools? Yes maybe public schools aren't as good as private ones and maybe USPS isnt as good as fedex, but hey, its there and its available to everyone who can't afford the better option right? Is the government socialist for running schools?
    In my opinion, if basic education is a right, but healthcare isn't, then theres something wrong. People need to get their priorities right and stop getting their "information" from Glenn Beck. Get online and do some frickin research.

August 19, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  7. Oliver

Is health care considered as much as a right as food and shelter? If one can not afford food and shelter, the tax payers pay for those unfortunate people to get food stamp and housing subsidies. (I hope my understanding of these is correct.) Do food stamp and housing subsidies get people to a level of food and shelter considered adequate for most middle class? If not and if food and shelter are just as important as, if not more important than, health care, to what level should health care for those who can not afford it be subsidized by tax payers? To a level considered adequate by the middle class or to a level considered inadequate by the middle class? If health care should be subsidized by the tax payers to a level considered "middle class", should not housing and food also? If health care should not be subsidized to "middle class" level by the tax payers, then the "government" will have to ration health care to a greater degree than most people realize. Is that politically viable?

Do we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, the pursuit of Happiness, food, shelter, education, health care, dental/eye care, etc? To what level should this great country of ours subsidize all these essential "rights" though redistribution of wealth by the tax system? We, as a country, need this discussion and decide how we are going to pay for all these and other self-evident and unalienable rights.

August 19, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  8. Armando Martinez

The only way to fix health care problem is to get rid of lawsuits and regulate pharmaceutical companies and private insurance companies. However, that will never happen because this country is run by conservative lawyers. 99% of MRIs ordered by doctors are only to cover their butts in case of a lawsuit. Not to mention the insane prices for tech companies like medtronic (to mention one) where a titanium screw costs over $3,000 and some surgeries require up to 8 or more, but they claim they need that money for research and development and for lawsuits. Not to mention how poorly informed Obama is on how much doctors make for an amputation (it is nowhere near the $50k he claims). If that were the case, doctors would probably be amputating healthy limbs left and right. I could see certain surgeries costing that much, but most of that goes to the hospital and tech companies. They should also tax tobacco and alcohol more heavily, since they are responsible for many health problems. They could probably pay for part of healthcare with those taxes.

August 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  9. detrae

People need to realize that job provided health insurance is not gauranteed. the employer can stop it at any time. The people who are happy with the insurance companies should realize that anytime their circumstances could change and they would be in a position of needing help to get basic health care . I'm a nurse and I see people struggle to get meds and health care. I believe in free interprize but also feel that things like healthcare and education shouldn't be profit driven.

August 19, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  10. Chris

Im dealing with insurance nightmares with Blue Cross, I pay $400 a month as a individual plan, I was hospitalized in March of this year, and was sent a bill for $24,000 from the hospital, which insurance denied due to policy preexisting condition clause, what can be done about these clauses and costs of hospitals out of control?

August 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  11. Dave, AZ

Right now there is little or no wait to see an American doctor, but there are long waits to see a Canadian doctor. How can we be assured that this will not happen under the health care bills in congress?

Dr. Anne Doig (the new head of the Canadian Medical Association) says patients are getting less than optimal care and she adds that physicians from across the country – who will gather in Saskatoon on Sunday for their annual meeting – recognize that changes must be made.

August 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  12. Lloyd O'Connor

There are threee ways to accomplish "Health Care Reform" –
    First, clean up the Government programs – Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP. Start here and improve the systems and take out the "fraud" money that is supposed to be $500B. No one ever says how much a year, just $500B over the next ten years.
    Second, totally reform the Employer/Employee/Insurance company triad. Like the plans for Medicare's Medigap, Insurance companies should offer 10 to 15 government mandated coverage plans, and government subsidies for "Universal coverage" for the poor, for the out of work, and for all people (including immigrants) that want to buy Health Care.
    Three, clean up Tort Processes, allow same policies to be sold in different states (if not all – I don't know the facts on this one) and concentrate the whole process to prevention with financial rewards early for money the individual can save later – smoking, obesity, etc. etc... The write a Reform Bill that is less that 50 pages of plain talk, not DC speak. Help everyone by having an independant doctor explain Sec. 1233 and stop shouting about it.

August 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  13. Amy Schiffman

As an ER doctor, the main issue is access... For many the word "emergency" means "free", for others it means "can't get in touch with my doctor", and for others it means "I don't like my doctor", for others it just means "I can't access the regular care that I am supposed to have".
    THe ER is not just the health care safety net, but also a medical dumping ground.
    No fix in sight for this problem – unless there are enough resources and well informed consumers.

August 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  14. nanbar

The Republican party continues to amaze me. I keep thinking they can go no lower, but...All you see at these town halls are frightened people who have listened to Glen Beck, pushing for revolution and Rush Limbaugh comparing President Obama to Hitler. Please show some people at these town halls that have legitimate questions. I know it is fun to show all of the crazies, but please take some time to show people actually wanting to make health care in this country available to all.

August 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  15. Craig

When I was in my teens nearly all of the people I grew up with had no health care insurance. Today, over forty years later heath care insurance is a major cost to most americans and employers. Private health care insurance has grown into a profit earning giant earning tens of billions in net profits each year along with medical pharmaceutical companies doing the same.

It is clear that private health care insurance companies and drug companies plan to continue to extract billions of dollars in health care net profits without requard to the public's ability to absorb the increasing costs. This despite the continuing off-shoring of America's means of production resulting in fewer and fewer American jobs to pay the health care industries' rising profits.

Both health care insurance companies and drug manufacturers have used the special intrest lobby system to fight any and all efforts by the people or the government of the people of this nation to enact price controls and appear defiant to the end.

The Republican Party and FOX News have resorted to outright lies, rumor mongering, half-truths and tall tales to defeat any additional government health care options. One has to wonder just what kind of big money is behind this caper to disuade the American people into believing that allowing private health care concerns to continue to bankrupt the public is a good thing for America? The health care industry is spending 1.4 million dollars a day to try to convince the public that they are getting a great deal for the money.

With a population wherein 50% of the adult Americans did not know that Medicare and Medicade are government run it is not surprising that the health care industries and lobbys are actually able to confuse the voters on the issue here.

Perhaps the answer is to expand Medicare into a public option for those many millions of Americans that can not afford to purchase private health care insurance. Those that do not want to use the public option can refuse to use it.

Those taxpayers can also refuse to take their very socialistic Social Security payments and thereby lower the the overall public option costs. Step right up to decline your Social Security and Medicare true beliver Republicans and put your money where your mouth is.

August 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  16. Brandon

Alice,

Don't you realize that it is your government that contributed to $4 gas? If we would drill in our own country we wouldn't have to rely on dictators for our oil. In regards to the government running health care- don't you know that medicaid and medicare are going bankrupt? What will happen to your new utopian health care plan? Social Security- Bankrupt. Wake up and stop being such a sheep. You are jeopardizing my kids future for a plan that will never work. Tort reform, portable insurance plans, insurance across state lines are programs that can work today. Didn't you see that Obama signed a big deal with the drug companies to make sure they didn't have to lower their prices. Change you can believe in, right?

August 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  17. john lindauer

For swift victory...

President Obama should volunteer to be "The First Customer"

then, over the next 60 days (an hour per day) HE should gather a few key congressmen and senators and healthcare experts and budget officers...

...and HE should ask them questions about the bill, the way any customer would. (and revise the bill as needed.)

These sessions should be webcast (for transparency)

At the end of this question and answer period, President Obama could say, with authority:

"This program is good enough for my family, therefore it's good enough for America."

Done and Done. He'd have the votes and the support of the American people.

August 19, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  18. Laura Davis

Being a small business owner, we struggle with paying our family's insurance premiums – over $10,000 annually. We then have to turn around and pay full cost for any doctors visits/tests because we have such high deductibles to keep our premiums down. What will the proposed new plans provide for us? Will our costs go down or will be be out more out of pocket $ since we own our own business? We do not currently have a group plan at our company due to cost.

August 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  19. CAM

Since we are all tighting the belt on our finances in a time of economic challenge, and we do live in a capitalist free market society, ( we treat everything like a business) lets do the following

1. Reduce the salaries of of all governement employees from the president all the way down. Why do they deserve a pay raise ? I didnt get one, even though sales were up .. lets reduce their salaries by lets say 10% or more .. why not companies are doing it..

Enough of "I want to work for the government because I get a good pension , 30 days vacation and work 9-5 .. that not good business

Government needs to work harder than the private sector..

2. Lets give governement employees 10 days vacation not 30, This is very costly to the tax payer, and no pensions, how about the good all 401 K ... they will love that.

3. I want governement to work around the clock, not just 9-5 , You should be available even during lunch , why not , we the private sector are always available or hell is to pay..

4. I want to see customer ( or tax payer )surveys from each government department and distributed and visible to all americans
    ( via a web page) so we can see first hand how the government of each governement department is performing and have the results posted on a web. so for instance , If you ( the governement department are doing poorly in performance , ie bad customer service, lazy non responsive representative or unconcerned attitudes about the customer,, too long to respond, over budget etc etc the tax payer can review this performance and decide if we want to continue to invest in the group, or should dismantle the management of this group or change management as we do in the private sector . again we will run it like a business.

August 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  20. Risha

I give up! I was paying enormous premiums for ten years because I take Lipitor. Insurance companies are there for profits not patients. The fox can't be in charge of the hen house any longer. I have Medicare now and am content.

August 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  21. Bob

If Congress approves the current health care package, with all the dissapproval of the American people, they will find themselves defending their jobs while facing the largest Recall/impeachment in US history. Another Obama first??

August 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  22. Chris

Taxpayers are already paying for government health care. Just consider medicaid, medicare, and the thousands of state employees that are all getting top notch health care, including our senators and representatives. My small business is struggling to provide health benefits to our handful of employees, the cost of which is staggering.

Also, it is my understanding that a health insurance company is a business. A business's first duty is to its shareholders to make profits. So basically, companies are making a business out of providing care to us.

August 19, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  23. Bob

The only part of our health care system needing reform is the cost. Make it affordable to those too old, too young, and too poor. But do not make it available free to those who can work, can contribute to the cost of providing health. I referring to the approximately 9.2 million illegals in this country. They are not contributing members of society, so they should have to pay to see the doctor, get meds, . They system only works when all those who use it support it.

August 19, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  24. Bernie

Alice – You need to look at all government run programs and realize that the government is not the answer to everything. We, in America have the freedom to run our own lives and make it as great or as poor as we want. So quit complaining and get off you butt and make it better! If your life is not living up to your expectations, then you need to take responibility for it and change it. Not by taking it from others, "The "Rich", but by earning it yourself like they did. Unfortunatly many Americans, like yourself, have got this "I diserve this for nothing" attitude like a spoiled child. I hope you see the error in you thinking and begin taking care of yourself for a change.

August 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  25. martha Perea

I do not understand why such negative reaction over a healthcare plan which would cover everyone? How can we lead in the world when we are falling so short in taking care of our own? I believe healthcare is a right which should be made possible and affordable to all. My husband and I are self employed and we pay $1100 a month for health insurance. We are one of the fortunate ones who can afford these prices but so few can in today's economy.
    I support President Obama's healthcare plan! How long must we take to realize that this is the right thing to do.

August 19, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  26. MrCrumley

My family has had an HSA for 5 years now and we've accumulated about $1,200 by being judicious about our health care spending. Under the projected bills, HSA's would not meet government standards because the deductibles are too high.

Why are the Democrats opposed to high deductible and/or partial coverage plans like Health Savings Accounts?

August 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  27. Burton

I see one fundamental philosophical issue regarding the healthcare reform debate: "Do you believe that you should do better for a person than they can for themselves?" This is the basis of our 'social contract.' Our country is, and always has been, divided on this principle, generally along party lines. I have yet to meet a Republican who believes healthcare should be provided to those who cannot acquire it for themselves, including children, unemployed and homeless. The reasoning I hear is that illegal immigrants and those who can really afford health insurance will take advantage of free healtcare.

August 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  28. Diane Sechler Toledo

I have Medicare and supplement from NEA that I pay $151 monthly. I didn't sign for Part D because I don't take any medicines. I'm 74 and in good health; but my dental insurance is $400+year. All you can do for that is have 2 cleanings and a little discount. Well, the dentists charge $1000 a crown – they mostly have their individual private practices with huge staff. I will be going to Argentina or somewhere to get some crowns. A prostodontist quoted $25,000 just to examine me for some lower crowns – that consultation was $200!! I think DENTAL Care should be examined along with Healthcare Reform. These MDs, DDS.DMD are "making out" like bandits! Why do their offices have to look like suites at the Ritz-Carlton? Health care should be a "right" in this country, not a "privilege" AND affordable.

August 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  29. Nik without a c Kripalani

I have an eighty six year grandfather and he is still in good shape. Tired everyday after Dialysis. It is the right wing throwing the kitchen sink at the Democrats and saying we are using Hitler tactics? Excuse Me too. It is the right wing with outlandish lies. I went to the President's website to tell the truth. I would like the Public Option. Your lucky you don't have Democrats who suffered eight years I repeat 8 years of Bush tactics. I suffer from second hand smoke every day in CA (California) If there is no public option, forget getting anything that Now if you want us Democrats have filbuster proof majority. Health care is a very personal issue to my family.

At least I can veto all Republicans in honesty and out with dishonesty.

August 19, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  30. Suzanne

Stimulus money being wasted, cash for clunkers so hung up in paperwork the dealers can't get paid, the post office is going broke, GM was given billions of OUR money and then went bankrupt, medicare going broke, social security out of money....
    Why would anyone think the gov't could run health care?

Start with tort reform, and let us purchase insurance across state lines to create the price competition. Put the pre-existing conditions and un-insurables on Medicare if needed. There is nothing in our Constitution that allows gov't to run health care.
    As for voting gov't people out of office – you can only vote in or out the ones in your district. You have zero control over the others.

August 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  31. CAM

We should change the name of the Veterans Hospital from the VA to Government Medical Center. Senators , Congressmann Governors ( even the rich ones ) and All High Government officials including the president will be required to get all their treatment and healthcare thru this medical system. Whats good for our Brave men and women in uniform should be good for our government employees as well.
    Lets give them first hand of what governement medical care is really like .

August 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  32. Mark, FL

Suppose that I set my conservative instincts and values aside for a moment. I truly believe that there is room for improvement with regard to healthcare and I want everyone to have access to the best healthcare that is available. There is a cost associated with healthcare whether an individual pays or others share the burden.

Now setting aside conservatism, why isn't tort reform a part of the conversation? Legal costs and liability insurance are two big factors that go into medical costs.

I would rather see the playing field get leveled with health savings accounts and more transparency with providers and the shopping price of a given proceedure. It seems insane to rely on a government that has a really bad track record. Consider the bail out, social security going broke, and the mortgage mess. You can point fingers at both Republicans and Democrats to fix blame. The bottom line is that both Government fixtures and neither can be trusted to run a massive program. Leave it to the American people to decide what they are willing and able to pay. Tell the Lawyers to take a hike.

August 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  33. James

The private sector is currently restrained by the Government in the form of tax incentives, restrictive state laws, and out-dated tort laws. No wonder we face out-of-control costs when competition is stiffled! Government has proven itself untrustworthy to manage anything, let alone health care. Social security is bankrupt, the so-called "stimulus bill" is a joke, and forget about Medicare and Medicade.

Keep the government out of my life and let the market compete.

August 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  34. Rich Handy

Does anyone understand the meaning and original intent of the 10th Amendment to the Constitution and how National Healthcare fits in there?

August 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  35. Bernie

Why does Obama and many of the Democrate lie about their Socialist Government run health care program?

August 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  36. Ryan

Health Care is a purchasable commodity and should not be a right. Why don't we have Universal Legal Care? How about Universal Plumbing? They are ridiculously expensive too!

The Insurance companies definitely need to be curbed from their bad practices. But a single payer system and a socialist form of health care is unamerican.

August 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Subramanian

Will taxpayers' money be used to bail out health insurance and pharmaceutical companies when they are reluctant to cover more than 50 million uninsured poor? We bailed out distressed oil companies even though Washington refused to arrange for tax payers any share of oil companies windfall profits.

August 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. John Self

If that is the only way, the democrats should pass goverment managed healthcare. The Republicans say that will mean war – they have been good at starting wars but not much at resolving them. I put no faith in a group of congressmen who sat on their rumps and watched George W. Bush ruin this country. John

August 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Michael

Only 1 comment posted since 4:00pm? Do you think you can make the bias anymore obvious? This is why I mostly watch only Lou Dobbs on this channel and for the most part I hardly ever watch this channel anymore because of the bias. Why not show the opinion of everyone? Lou Dobbs is by far the best program this station has!

August 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  40. aj

its amazing how the opposition is always talking about they don't want socialism in this country, but if you look at we have some form of socialism already, medicare, medicade, veterans care, gi bill, public schools, public libraries, social security, chip program, pell grant. even unemployment insurance. All american have some point in their lives benefited from social programs. These programs were created after the great depression because so many people suffered during the great deppression that the us government overtime after the great deppression had to come up with a safety net so that so many people would not have to suffer again like they did in the great deppression

August 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. RG

The reaction to healhcare reform scares me. Shouting at town meetings, blatant lies being believed by folks that can benefit from this reform. I also fear that, through campaign contributions from the healthcare industry, that many of our elected officials are owned by healthcare already, keeping the prices inflated. Why was the loophole that allowed US citizens to buy their prescription drugs cheaper in Canada closed? Healthcare is our most basic of human needs, and I'm quite sure that if our founding forefathers could foresee the future, this would be part of the bill of rights. The health of each of our families is our main priority, shouldn't it be our government's main priority? I've seen senior citizens opposed to reform, yet many have been covered by Medicare for years.
    If anyone recalls a couple of years ago when the Democrats took control of congress, they were going to impose some restrictions on the oil business, which was soaking the US public while reaping record profits. What happened with that? We need reforms from runaway businesses. Call it socialism, or call it whatever you want, we need to declare war on greed, and take the profit out of healthcare. No one should profit from others illness.

August 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Carol

In the insurance business one pays more if they are teens (auto), males (life), house mortgage coverage (weight). Why do we not charge more for health insurance for high risk life styles like smoking and obesity? What are the factors that have leveled the rates in that area but not these other areas?, etc.

August 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Emily

I would feel a lot better about health care reform if Obama and Congress would lead by example and agree to give up their special elite coverage and accept the same plan they propose for the rest of Americans. The fact that they are not doing this makes the whole process and the people in charge untrustworthy and insincere.

August 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Brad

I agree that healthcare should be provided to all based on the fact that we are people and need to take care of each other. As long as we address this issue with a "business" solution well will have a business result. Go figure....People who can pay the most get the best.
    Why don't we take our health care cost, devide it into money earned by everyone in the U.S to determine amount out of each dollar needs to be paid to cover this cost for everyone.
    Yes if you earned more,,,you would pay more. Good Math folks.
    We just must decide that we want all of us to have healthcare.

August 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Linda

Insurance companies make enormous profits! As do pharmaceutical companies. How come they have so much money to donate to our Congress and their election campaigns, not to mention paying all the lobbyists, drug advertising and their extremely high salaries for their top corporate officials? Why is it that foreigners can buy the same drugs that we do at a fraction of the cost we pay? Why does an insurance company charge me the same rate as a single adoptive mom with one child as a 2 parent household with 10 children?
    It's disgusting that they deny people for pre-existing conditions when people have to change jobs and get new insurance companies all the time. Not to mention, what about those who are juvenile diabetics? Have MS or MD? Juvenile arthritis? Develop cancer in childhood? It's cruel to discrimate against anyone who has an illness or disease!

August 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Shawn Billiot

So you are telling me that you will not hire someone who smokes who may be more qualified than all the other non-smokers? That is a load of bull!

August 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Moki, Tucson

France has the #1 rated health care in the world, yet they spend one half as much as we do as a percentage of GNP. How do they do it and why can't we do the same?

August 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. David Nelson

If this health care reform is so good why did the President at the NH town meeting respond to a question as to whether the President and Congress will be part of this plan, reply, in many words essentially say, "No?"

I don't know why my health care plan will cease to exist (page 16 of HR 3200) of attrition or rules (pag 17 of HR 3200) while the President and Congress get to keep their private health care plan

August 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Rob

I see in the Senate plan that people enrolled in Medicare aren't eligible for the "plan". I retired and returned to my job, thereby having guaranteed employer paid insurance for life. My husband retired from the military and I have Tricare as well. To keep both of those I'm required to enroll in Medicare when I'm old enough.

Obama says I can keep my insurance and my doctor. I see nothing in the plan that forces doctors to accept any certain insurance so how is that not an empty promise?

There's a provision in the plan that allows my employer to drop the group insurance or for the "Secretary" to require it to be dropped and force people into the Plan.

How is that not taking away what I worked for for all my life? Under the plan, I can lose my insurance and have only Medicare when I'm old. What's that about?

August 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Michael, CO

To me as a German citizen living in America this discussion is pure craziness. The way people are being misled by the health industry lobby is unbelievable. Germany has a single payer system and nobody has to be scared of getting sick, poor or wealthy, emloyed or not. You call this socialism? I call this basic human rights.

August 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |