August 19th, 2009

Tonight: Text 360°

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/08/art.text360.jpg]

AC360°

Tonight we will be taking your questions on health care.

We're cutting through the political rhetoric and answering your questions about substantive change to the country's health care system.

Now the Obama administration is looking hard at pushing through a health care reform bill without Republican backing, top Democrats close to the White House told CNN.

How will this impact the plans for reform? What does this mean for your medical care and your bottom line? We'll be looking into this tonight. Do you have a question? Let us know!

Send us a text message with your question. Text AC360 (or 22360), and you might hear it on air!

Filed under: T1 • Text 360
  1. Eliza Callies

How did education in this country become a public right – not just a right, but a requirement – and health care not? Public schools provide education for all, and attendance is required up to a certain age. Explain to me how public health care is fundamentally different from education in that aspect.

August 19, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  2. Winnie

Since you sometimes have the best minds in the country debating on your show, I have a suggestion for you media people. Why don’t you start to work on creating a model of a “perfect government” .. “ for the people and by the people”... More like a Co-Op where people aren’t labeled by a party name in which they feel their obligation is to block any ideas of the opposing party, but one in which each person would sincerely vote their conscience. A government with no earmarks on bills. When a bill comes before them, they would vote solely on that bill, with no strings attached. A government with no lobbyists buying votes. This system would have its own checks and balances by the unique points of view. These days it seems everyone is angry and frustrated. There has got to be a better way to govern than this corrupt mess we now have sparring and conniving against one another. And no, I’m not for dictatorship or communism .. I’m for a Collective Government that is truly “for the people and by the people.”
    At least maybe you could get some of them thinking in the right direction.

August 19, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  3. Jean Bailey

My husband lost his job a few years ago after having been in the same industry for over 30 years. Since then he has had several jobs and ended up being "down-sized" from them all. We have never gotten health care through any of them. He is now currently working in another state, just to have a job, and still no health care. We are both old enough to retire, but not old enough for Medicare. This is very distressing for me since I do have some health issues that have not been taken care of these past few years. Having a public option for health insurance sounds like a real life-saver to me! Now I keep hearing that they want to back away from a public option and go to a co-op system ... That sounds to me like they just want to "de-regulate" health care like they have done with so many others – gas and electric service for example. "Customer Choice" has turned out to be not such a bargain and so confusing that people don't even want to check it out. This is really disappointing and I pray that they stick with the public option!

August 19, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  4. Kathleen A. Harrison

I am over 71 years of age and am covered by Medicare/Advantra Freedom. I am very happy with my coverage and don't want to lose it. If Obama's Health Care Plan takes over I think that will mean that retired people like myself, will end up with coverage that is inferior to what we have now.

I worked all my life and have paid into Medicare for the benefits I am receiving now. Why should I lose this after working hard when others haven't worked or not enough to earn the coverage I have.

Also, why should young people who have coverage through their employers and pay partially for their health care plans, have to also pay a percentage into Obama's plan when they want to stay with what they have now?

My family and I are happy with what we have and don't want anything to do with Obama's plan! Why should people like us who were willing to work for the best in health care, now be forced to either pay more for coverage, or go with Obama's plan with restricted coverage? We are very unhappy about this prospect. Especially at my age. It is just not fair to be penalized after working all my life for the benefits that will be lost to me if Obama's plan takes over.

Thank you, Kathleen A. Harrison/ Utah

August 19, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  5. Daryn Coleman

i'm absolutely amazed at the stupidity of my fellow american. since when is government run so bad? for all those people that are "afraid" of a government takeover then they should never call the police since they are a government entity. don't call the fire department – another governement run entity. will all those people be putting their hands out to collect social security and medicare – well geesh those are government run. the government builds our roads – they educate our children – they feed the poor. what exactly does american businesses do? they take our good paying jobs and ship them to India – they complain about the education of americans yet do NOTHING to help with public education. they are constantly trying to take away the quality of life of Americans so that their over priced CEO's and executives can continue to rape the middle class to line thier pockets. the health care industry is a mess becuase we've allowed them to prosper at the expense of sick people – that to me is sick. to whom does medicine for profit make sense to?? are you all that stupid? the definition of crazy is doing the same actions and expecting a different outcome – i'd say the majority of Americans' are bordering on insanity. come on people – we elected Barack Obama to change things but then you all sit around and complain that he is trying to change things. if ever there was evidence that the American people have been dumbed down its this ridiculous response to this health care reform. i don't know what insurance others are using but if you want to talk about death panels then they already exist. how many people have DIED waiting for their HMO to approve a treatment. Ask a doctor how he likes having to get permission to provide care from the insurance provider. big business in the health care industry is a big black eye on the American way of life. if the health care we have is soo great – then why is it the number one cause of bankruptcies?

August 19, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  6. Claire Adrienne

I know that we have to provide health insurance for the uninsured; we have to make premiums from the big health insurance industry affordable (CEO of United Health Care makes $102,000.00 an hour); and we must eliminate discrimination based on pre-existing conditions.

The right is using fear tactics, even bringing weapons to the events. How terrifying is that!

My only concern is that adding thousands of people to the health care system will crash the system – how do we prevent that? We need more doctors, physician assistants, nurses, lab techs, physical therapists, etc. Now I have to wait 6 months for an appointment with my ophthomologist, 6 weeks for my primary care physician, etc.

I can't see how this will work without providing training for additional ancillary staff. Could we put out-of-work people back to work by proving this training?

August 19, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  7. cole G

socialist!

August 19, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  8. ROB , MA

i guess I never asked the question so here it is...

What is the hurry to get this passed?

August 19, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  9. Cynthia

What will help those of us in our 60's nearing medicare and those who are already on medicare?

August 19, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  10. Andrew

Can you explain how this "reform" will save the 200+ million people who have private insurance any money?

This bill does little if anything to address the 1.2 TRILLION in waste in the PWC report.

August 19, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  11. David, FL

I’ve heard enough from the right wingers and insurance lobby about how terrible Canada’s health care is and guess what? It isn’t! I am a naturalized U.S. citizen having been here 20 years and 35 in Canada. The one thing I miss about Canada is the health care. In 35 odd years I never had to wait for service, never was denied treatment or testing, never had to fight with a government bureaucrat and never paid one red cent out of pocket whether working, unemployed or incapacitated. Since I have been stateside every time I require a health service I have to wait for “authorization” from my insurance company, determine if a doctor/service provider is “in network”, justify a procedure and always end up in a fight over billing. It is the most bureaucratic system in the world. In Canada you never see a bill, you have a health card which the provider swipes and is paid based on the procedure. Health services are privately run, the government is the insurance company. To pay for this, taxes are higher in Canada but when insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays are factored in, the U.S is paying substantially more.
    Whenever I talk to Canadian relatives and friends I always make a point to ask about the state of their care and never once through strokes, bile duct blockages, knee/hip replacements, cancers and more has anyone complained or trashed their system. To them good accessible health care is like turning on your tap and expecting good, clean water to come out

August 19, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  12. christine, il

why is it ok for politicians to get money from special interests. this has been ruining our country and corrupting our politicians. it is undermining our government and devastating our middle class. insurance companies are paying ceo's millions of dollars in bonus money and pumping millions into influencing outcomes of legislation. this is wrong and i'd like to know why they are allowed to get away with it. the bottom line for the health insurance companies is making all the money it can and the bottom line of our elected officials is to get re-elected so where do the american people come in to this?

August 19, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  13. Colin Ness

Why do the healthy have to pay for the sick? The majority of the money spent on healthcare is for heart disease, diabetes and other illnesses that are largely self-inflicted due to poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking etc. I pay close to $1,000 a month for a family of four yet other than the annual physical do not use insurance. How is this addressed in any of the current reform bills?

August 19, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  14. marty coleman

Just want an answer to a simple question..Is the health care reform bill going to reduce the cost of Tylenol in the hospital from $11.00 to .10.....

August 19, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  15. Susan Goldhush

the president has been completely hornswoggled by the Pharmaceutical and Insurance industries, who are now licking their chops in anticipation of the biggest payday they have ever had. If any
    legislation is passed without a "public option" and a re-negotiation of the terms that gave away the store to the pharm. industry, and the public wakes up to the disaster that has been foisted upon them, the
    Dems and the President will have hell to pay.

August 19, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  16. Monte

Once I'm required to buy health insurance, will I be able to write off the premiums? I have several friends and relatives who get their insurance tax-free as a job benefit. My family and I live without equal tax treatment regarding health insurance premiums only because we don't get insurance through an employer. How can this be fair or even legal? If I'm required to buy insurance, I ought to at least get a tax break on premiums like 170 million Americans do via their employers.

We currently don't have tax equity on this issue. If we get forced premiums and no tax deduction, it will add a really big additional insult to an already unfair injury.

August 19, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  17. David Matoff

Why can't we have the same taxpayer funded healthcare plans that Congress receives for themselves and their families for life? They get the best medical care at the expense of you and I. Why make a distinction between the plans that they get and the rest of us who have to settle for something far less than the best of what is out there?

August 19, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  18. Kevin, CA

The last election was an overwhelming mandate for change – most notably health care insurance. Why, for the love of Pete, is anyone even talking or listening to Republicans that want to kill reform and preserve the insurance industry status quo?

August 19, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  19. ROB , MA

The private sector based insurance allows us to choose health care companies, if any thing there should be more competition across state lines so that the health care providers can share their plans with other states. The federal government is too much involved in my family life I dont want them in it any further. I have a health plan in which I am happy with and works well for my family of 4. I dont want to change it. Why should my elected officials be pressured into excepting a health care proposal without having open discussion on the issue just because a president ( any president ) wants to have this plan in place within his first term. Its not right. this country was / is based of the free market system people can choose for themselves. We use to work for a living now things have changed where the government is providing for the people rather then encouraging competition and choice.
    I dont have a problem with people making money no matter how much they have ( granted im a little jealous I dont have it ) however I dont think that because they are able to make a good living that they should be made out to be a scape goat of some kind, insurance companies should be allowed to sell their goods and if there is no federal guidelines for them to follow then they should be created and enforced, but guidelines only, please stay out of my family's lives I served my country already I want to be able to enjoy my time here with little to no involvement of the government, there are other issues they can focus on then whether I have a a good health plan. I do .

August 19, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  20. Elvia Williams

iIf the healthcare plan proposed by the democrats is so good for the nation, why are the president, congress,etc excempt from it?

August 19, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  21. Ron Steffani

Conservative opposition to health care centers around the fear of tax increases. The present system has hidden costs that amount to surtaxes on the users. Companies that provide health insurance to workers pass the cost onto consumers. eg. $1500 for each new auto. Those who buy their own health insurance not only pay for health benefits but also fund insurance company"s profits that have quintupled from 2002 to 2007 and also fund multi-million dollar executive salaries. Those who are uninsured risk filing for bankruptcy when trying to pay off excessive health care costs such as $50,000 for radiation treatments etc. Medical providers pass on these lost revenues in higher health care costs.

August 19, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  22. Colin Ness

Despite all of the debate and emotion surrounding healthcare reform I find in inconceivable that the debate does not center on the true costs of healthcare, the over prescription of drugs and the effects of poor diet. Obama should be regulating drug companies and eliminate their ability to advertise. You know something is wrong when drug companies start offering to pay the co-pay to “help” people get more medication. Drug companies support the Obama plan because it means more money. They are not in the business of healing but of creating new “sicknesses” to find a “cure” for. If Obama wants to tax people tax companies that make and use high fructose corn sugar and other processed “foods.” We need a shift away from diets and magic pills and focus on good health and exercise.

August 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  23. Myself

I support Healthcare Reform.
    Whatever happened to "loving your neighbor as yourself". Does anyone remember the scripture. "They worship me with their lips but their hearts are far from me". Remember the story of the "rich man" whom refused to share his crumbs from his table with the poor man whom died ! The rich man went to Hell, while the poor man went to Heaven.

I say all of this to help Americans remember how very blessed we are to live in a country where we have plenty to share. We are not going to take our money with us when we die.

Remember, we are already paying for Healthcare for the poor and unemployed when they go to the Emergency Room.
    Don't be fooled by the lies ! It's very shameful to use fear tactics to scare out seniors.

Remember, everyone will receive reap what we sow, good or bad ! If you don't believe me, keep living and you will !

August 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  24. Ceboia

I would be very appreciative if some news agency could create online databases that demonstrate the costs of the varying type of proposed plans. Also some comments or demonstration as to what the individual costs will be to each grownup citizen under the various plans. I have seen nothing that claims the government is planning to pay for everyone's care..so what will it cost if all are required to have insurance?

August 19, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  25. Bonnie

lol how can you answer the questions when its all not spelled out on what the plan is all about?????????????? Your just second guessing like everyone else...................

we need health care period no one should have to go without and not a soul should ever go hungry either for that matter nor not have a home to live in.......

so sick of all this we know it all from the media and all there special guests and sick of all the adminstrations that don't help there ppl who pay for there homes etc........

lets see all in goverment as well the media all go without for a years time and see how you all feel like so many others in the US

Get real your fear mongers too... for many.....

August 19, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  26. Flynn, Wynantskill NY

Are there going to be long lines at the doctors offices and waiting lists at the hospitals like some Republicans are saying? Is the world going to end if this bill passes?

August 19, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  27. Connie Morsher

I think everyone should be able to get reasonable healthcare cost. If we leave it in the hands of the big insurance companies there is no way we can keep paying what they want. We need healthcare change now, I am so tired of hearing about all the talk about the republicans and should they be included, I think we have been more than patience with them but all they wanted was more time to turn people away from the idea of healthcare reform.

The townhall meetings have been a joke, with people believing the repubs lies and workers there from the big insurance companies to help get these people going. Come on people think for yourselves!

Remember social security and medicare are runned by the government and everyone seems fine with that. I have two elderly parents and when the medicare part 2 came along put in by the repubs to help out their big insurance buddies, they made it so if you didn't sign up you were penalized. My Mom is still paying for that mistake. Don't let the Republicans fool you...it's all about the MONEY!

August 19, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  28. Linnie Todd

Health care is very important to all of us. My Mom is in a nursing home and the government rules these places with outrageous waste and our taxes are paying these doctors and hospital care. If Americans think we are not under the thumb of the government they are not familiar with the medical policies of all elder care. We are told where to go. I had to take my Mother to an emergency room for a broken tailbone so she could have a ring cushion. That probably cost several thousand dollars and I had to purchase a $20 ring with a written prescription from the Dr who cared for her. I always take care of all my Moms needs so I see how things are run. We need this Health care bill passed NOW! Can't people understand we have been under government health care for years. At least people who are not yet 65 could receive some type of help.

Linnie Todd

August 19, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  29. Annie Kate

To get the type of all encompassing health care change we need, its going to take a bipartisan effort. If Obama cuts the GOP off now, it just makes future changes and features that much harder to pass and it endangers the Democratic majority in the 2010 elections. This isn't an effort that can accomplished quickly if its done right – slow down and take the time it needs to get it right.

August 19, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  30. Megj

I totally agree with Alice. It is unconscionable that ALL Americans do not currently have access to AFFORDABLE, QUALITY healthcare coverage. Americans should not be fooled by the insurance industry (that continues to make record profits while our premiums go up) jinto thinking that health care reform, including a "public option" won't work. We are told that it will be too expensive and that government isn't efficient, etc. I would suggest that this describes the private health insurance market right now. In addition, the private market can exclude those with pre-existing conditions, something the public market wouldn't do.

CNN needs to stop using inflammatory language like "the President is going to try and RAM THROUGH...(a public option)" making it appear as if the President and Democratic members of Congress don't care about what the public thinks and won't give this legislation time and due diligence...Absurd!!! CNN(Anderson Cooper) needs to keep itself honest!!

August 19, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  31. Kate Arnott

I am concerned about all the uninsured middle and lower income people who cannot afford health insurance. As a retired medical worker with experience working in the Inner City and in an Affluent area for many years, there are many who don't get the health care they need. since prevention is a big part of controlling epidemics this is important.
    Why can't people look at the bigger picture? Sending children to school with various contagious illnesses who do not have medical care is wrong. this is how things spread to the whole population.
    Workers going to work sick are the same threat. We are not talking about only local health threats. The "Flu", Staph infections, Strep infections are constantly passed around locally and become world wide with airplane travel and ships etc.
    In my experience the really poor and illegal aliens have better access to medical prevention of illnesses then do the middle classes.
    Do you think that people are just selfish and worried about losing their health care that they have now or are they just uninformed.
    This is not personal with me because I have excellent insurance and am a senior, not afraid of the "plug being pulled. I am a Human being concerned about people surviving and being healthy in their lives.

August 19, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  32. Tom Milligan

There is something wrong with this National Debate on health care. We American's need good, affordable health care in this country. Why is the insistance of this debate that we "need" health care Insurance? We don't need health care insurance, we need heath care, period. The Insurance conglomorates in this country shouldn't even be considered in the debate. Maybe this is why there are more than 2,000 Insurance Lobbists lined up at the doors of the Senate and at Congress. Is anyone keeping track of the Congressmen and Senators who will be reaping campaign contributions from the Insurance Industry just so the new health care laws "Swing" their way? A good solution would be for the government to open up the VA Hospitals and care givers to every American so we can curtail the use of the Insurance Industry. Besides I think people are fed up with haveing these companies tell us what they will pay for and what they won't. This clearly is NOT quality Health Care, It is the Insurance Industry getting rich off of our monthly premiums. Maybe this is how they are paying for the 2,000 lobbyists in Washington. So will our Senators and Congressmen be thinking of the American Publics right to health Care or are they going to be thinking about the Insurance Industry userping our need for good quality and affordable health care? Think about it. Tom

August 19, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  33. Hector Erazo

The Illusions of Entrepreneurship: The Costly Myths That Entrepreneurs, Investors, and Policy Makers Live By : Scott A. Shane, Author.

Anderson – Why have you not had Dr. Shane on your program to speak about the dismal failure and incompetency of business start-up in the US? As conservative Republicans hammer away at the idea of government and, government in relationship to operating an enterprise such as the proposed tarried healthcare public option, no one has attempted to assail and debunk the notion that only in the hands of private industry are we assured any success in providing competent and competitive/affordable healthcare in the broadest sense to Americans? Local governments run plenty of enterprises efficiently and without waste or failure. Just go down the list of municipalities’ CAFRs and you will see water, garbage, wastewater and others enterprises not only providing service to property owners but also maintaining, expanding infrastructure as well as building and maintaining strong financial reserves, not to speak of strong credit ratings. In one graph I looked at recently, over a period of 10 years (1992-2002), only 29 percent of firms survived. I think it’s equally telling in this debate to show the number of insurance companies that have gone under and disappeared over a similar period. While attributed to a number of reasons, they are not necessarily because of government regulation. I think it’s entirely specious to continue the mantra of government is bad and greed is good. Far too many public officials rush to work for the very enterprise they mock; government.

August 19, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  34. Don Reeves

Anderson,
    As a college teacher of Philosophy, I keep asking, "When will we as a 'culture' get the message that it's those millions who do NOT have, and cannot get, health care that matter most.....not those of us who DO have and CAN afford it?"
    Our inability to think beyond our individual selves and focus on others less fortunate displays an inordinate level of 'Cultural Egotism and Self Centeredness' ....which may be far more damaging and threatening to our future than mere political disagreement about the 'particulars-of-a-plan'.

Don Reeves
    Philosophy Teacher
    Northeast Alabama Community College
    Scottsboro, AL

August 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  35. Paul Townsend

I have always considered myself a conservative, however I did break rank and voted for President Obama. With the suggestion that he will ignore the republican concerns and barter with the democratic advantage in congress; it shows that he has been reduced to nothing more than a typical Washington politician. What a shame! Is this really the change we were promised by the President during his campaign?? Healthcare for all; ALL being the key word. Keep them honest!!

August 19, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  36. Andrean

Hi Anderson!

I love that I have a right to write to you and, so with all my anything I wish may write so many to you every second that I may havings!

Wish you a safe and okay day today especially ever with your broadcast tonight!

Love!

Good bye!

An.

August 19, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  37. Andrean

Hi Anderson!

I am wishing so much you have a safe broadcast tonight! Love you with all I havings honestly!

Love!

An.

August 19, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  38. Andrean

Hi Anderson!

I am so much happy that I may write to you, and so I wish I would write very effectively with all my soul which I may learn also!

Love!

Andrean!

August 19, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  39. Andrean

Hi Anderson!

Love your show so much so that I love you so much more also!

Please be okay!

Love!

Andrean!

August 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  40. gregamillage

Pres. OBAMA Health Care Reform Bill will pass I predict around OCT 15, 2009. Please Twit your opinion and how will you feel about this.

August 19, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  41. rudy,ca

i think it's about time that the whitehouse dropped the bomb on health insurance reform. health insurance protections and reasonably priced affordable health care is the only way to go. lets get more people to be able to buy in on it. lower the age on medicaid while increasing the income limit. this will help pay for it all but most importantly it will save lives. it's about peoples lives not politics. at the end of the day ( after health insurance reform is passed ) patty from pittsburg, frank from florida,grandma from granda hills, and little league larry won't care how they qualified for immediate permanent care for their illness,all they will know is they have the President to thank and the voters who put him there! THANKS OBAMA !

August 19, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  42. christine

I finally UNDERSTAND, In Utah, were upset at the private network that more or less is all we have here! The small comp's can't compete do to their monopilizing the industry! It's a Mess here nobody is happy with this Network and if they say different their lying or they work for it and need their job! This Network acts like they own our goverment! DO THEY?? or us Utahn's being mislead? by their power here, and how did they get so much controll of our state without being involved within our goverment??? (IHC)

August 19, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  43. Juan

I am in the healthcare field and am often confused in the topic of Healthcare Reform. All that I can talk about are the changes I see firsthand. Over the last five years I see our own Healthcare carrier raising the cost of our plan, both in higher premiums and higher deductibles with more and more exclusions of coverage, while simultaneously reducing their fee schedules (what and how they pay Facilities and Providers). I see a greater need to monitor and control the profit margins of the insurance industry over that of the Healthcare Providers.
    Another area that has abused the cost of Healthcare is the cost of Liability Insurance. While Defensive Medicine is a growing cost of a Provider or Facility’s way of practicing, it is not commonly compensated by the Insurers and has to be worked in the cost of basic services. It is a known portion of the industry, that Medical Claims are expensive to defend and Liability Insures too often settle illegitimate claims to safe on the cost of defending it. The courts system should hold the attorneys responsible for filling fraudulent claims just because they have enough tools to present a lengthy and costly case that can bring a quick settlement. If the victim of fraud could file with the civil courts against the attorneys for financial loses, we would have a considerable drop in claims that would reduce our Healthcare cost.

August 19, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  44. Cherilyn Holweck

I have been watching the American discussions on Health Care and I do not understand all the dissention and controversy displayed. I live in Canada and we have always had our Health Care System since the day I was born. I have Crohns, Fibromyalgia and have been hospitalized twice and have had surgery I always had excellent care and it never cost me anything. I get to choose my own doctors and when a specialist is needed I am always referred to one. The government does not tell us which doctor to see or interfere. Although our system is not perfect it works for the rich and the poor. I think it is a system Americans could benefit from and I feel they are not being told the truth about how good it can be. Just a comment. I love this program and really enjoy watching – keep it up

August 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  45. Miriam, NY

Hi Anderson,

Myth – Is shark help with milk secretion for child delivery? It is a very mandatory food for mothers who have just delivered in some parts of the world. Is this true? It is not a delicasy in USA, but it is one of the costliest food in Asian countries. Is this true?
    Cocktail soup – True – Helps with milk secretion.

August 19, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  46. Ron Williams

Ask yourself the question; what possibly is the motive behind the President and supporter's quest for health care reform? Is there a personal gain agenda we are not aware? What drives a leader to want all of his citizens to be covered? Somewhere in the answer(s) has to be good faith.

Now, let's take a look see at the motive behind all this hatred and venom. How does a program even sponsored by the government does harm to those to the point of them screaming, hollering and even arming themselves? The answer is obvious; This is a segment of our population who resent an Afro-American directing or taking charge of anything – supported by the very segment who health care reform would hurt the most – our illustrious insurance industry.
    This is spillover frustration from the election.

August 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  47. Isabel • Brazil

Hi Anderson!

The big question is: given the government’s fiscal situation, how can it make sense for the government to take on new spending commitments as part of health reform?

August 19, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  48. chris Gorman

In response to Alice AR, I couldn't agree with you more!!! Private sector has done nothing but screw up this entire economy and leave us stuck paying the tab.

I think they should just vote health care reform in as is and leave the republicans with their mouths hanging wide open. They will get theirs next election.

I personally just want medical insurance.

August 19, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  49. Tired in Dallas

Anderson,
    Please have someone explain that the new health reform bill will NOT cover illegal immigrants. Many citizens think they are visiting emergency rooms and getting health care free now. Is this true and what will change in the new health care reform bill?

August 19, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  50. Alice, AR

Why do senior citizens and the poor have the RIGHT to basic health care and NOT the rest of us? We have given the private sector decades to come up with accessible and affordable health care for ALL our citizens and they have failed. It is the responsibility and duty of our government to step in and protect the American citizens that are being discriminated against by the Insurance Companies.

The right wingers are still trying to convince the American people that the private sector knows what is best for us. Well, look at the health care crisis and the economic crisis and tell me that again. The top paid CEO last year worked for the oil companies and received $710,000,000.00 in pay and bonuses, while the American people were paying $4.00 a gallon for gasoline. Excuse me!!!

I would trust MY government with health care reform long before I would trust Big Business. At least I can vote them in and out.

August 19, 2009 at 4:00 pm |