August 14th, 2009

Send us your health care questions

Eliza Browning
AC360° Associate Producer

Health care reform has become quite a contentious issue over the weeks. Actually, make that years, or decades, depending on how you look at it. The rhetoric has ramped up on all sides of this debate and politicians, special interest groups and members of the public are weighing in with their concerns and opinions.

We're looking beyond the political battle at the proposed health care reform plan. We want to know what questions you have about the plans to overhaul the health care system. Do you need more clarification? What is most important to you?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta will answer your questions and give you specific information about what the reform could mean for you and your medical care.

Post your questions here!

1. Sammy

LOVE YOU MAN – Sanjay...

You are a GR8 honest reporter (haven't seen you for any illness but I can tell that you seem to be a gr8 doctor too!!!)

August 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Antigonum Cajan

I am somewhat confused. These people with such worries are not
    the same eating: hamburgers, fries, pork rinds, hot dogs, hundred
    kinds of potato chips, ribs, sodas, smoking, drinking a six pack
    a day with some hard liquor on top, and not walking five blocks
    a day?
    Why shall anyone worry about something that you never took care of?

August 16, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  3. Tetyana Kyrylova

I have big concerns about effectiveness of the current health care system in the US.

It is expensive, but doesn’t work for people.

I am Canadian living in the US for three years. I was surprised and disappointed with how expensive the health insurance is in the US comparing to Canadian one a long with the fact it covers much fewer things. My husband and I, we are both working in educational system in Canada and in the US. When we came to the US, we expected to have the same coverage. In Canada we never paid for any visits to medical doctors (family doctors and specialists if we had a referral). We paid $5.00 for each prescription no matter was it expensive or cheap (we paid $5.00 for a $7.00 prescription or $300.00). In the US, we are well covered, but our insurance doesn’t cover us at all. I have skin problem and need daily treatment. The ointments and pills prescribed by dermatologists are very expensive. I pay 100% for each prescription, what about my insurance? Where is it? It is not about cosmetics or plastic surgery. It is about skin sickness. Am I covered?

My teeth were fixed in Canada before we crossed the US border. I don’t need ant dental treatment. What I need is cleaning my teeth three times a year: two cleanings are covered in both countries. Based on my gum condition, my Canadian dentist sent a request to my health insurance company for their coverage of an extra cleaning. I got it. I always had it no matter what was done with my teeth. During three years in the US, I haven’t spent any cent on my teeth even though I have $2000.00. However, when I asked them to cover one extra cleaning (about $40.00), they denied my request. Am I covered?

Of course two monsters: network and paperwork. In Canada, you can go to any doctor you want, ambulance can deliver you to any required or closest hospital – it depends on condition or wish. The price is the same. In the US, we received tons of papers (“bill”, “not a bill”, etc.) For one month we receive in the US as many papers as we never received in Canada for eight years.

This is why health insurance is expensive and not effective.

August 15, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  4. Lori

Medicare needs to expand it's coverage for unskilled caregivers or sitters in private homes. They currently provide some of these services under medicare Home Health Services. However, this coverage is temporary not permanent. Caregivers are taught by Home Health skilled services how to safely care for the elderly at home, bathroom safety, manage meds etc. But once skilled services nurse/pt/ot/cna leave there is a backward decline unless the family is able to handle the patient's care longterm. Medicaid provides sitters/companions long term, based on need. People with Medicare have to pay out of pocket for these non skilled services which in most cases is not affordable. 15-30/hr. It is much cheaper to provide theses services at the patient's home than pay for a nursing home. Many elderly just need someone to help them get their personnal care, get groceries, help with houskeeping, meals, and med reminders.

August 15, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  5. Jeff

It is my understanding the H.R. 3220 was originally written to disallow Health Savings Accounts with high deductible (catastrophic) insurance. However, I have heard that an amendment had been issued to continue to allow them for the first 5 years of the new federal program. The President and the congress has promised that if you are happy with your existing coverage that you will be able to keep it. I am extremely happy with my existing HSA program which covers my family of (4) for a reasonable $330.00 per month.

My question: Will I be able to keep my existing HSA (with no time limit) or is the President and Congress being untruthful?

Jeff

August 15, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  6. sybil Stoudenmire

Of the 46 million people without health care, how many would be covered by the new plan? I have read that many of the people included in the 46 million number are either non-citizens, above the poverty line test cutoff, already eligible for Medicare or Medicaid, or have chosen not to buy insurance. Is that true?

August 15, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  7. Steven Polakoff

When will all the above questions get answered? There are so many that I would like to hear answers on.

August 14, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  8. Soura Dasgupta

Your program on AC 360 today was disgusting, indeed Limbaughesque. Shame on you. Your concluding question: What if this were your mother... left the impression that Obama was planning to cut off health care for those who are old, reinforcing the impression that a "death panel" was under consideration. For 30 pieces of silver you gave up an opportunity to serve your country. Now you have fed into the paranoia, that unless you know is false, then reflects a lack of basic intelligence.

August 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Joe

I SUPPORT REFORM

I want a goverment run, public option that is...

simple and affordable.

so we can’t be dropped for preexisting conditions.

consistent coverage regardless of where a person works.

cost of medicines and procedures should cost much less than they do now.

and premiums should NOT go up every year the way they do now.

August 14, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  10. Joe

I am a small business owner – and right now I can’t afford healthcare for my 4 employees – it just costs too much and therefore would make my business unprofitable.

We would love to have an affordable, government run, public plan – the sooner the better.

August 14, 2009 at 9:33 pm |
  11. Linda B., Ga.

Can we please be offered the SAME LOW COST insurance plans that our Senate and Reps are given?

August 14, 2009 at 9:32 pm |
  12. al

It seems that those who are afraid of reform have been duped and are actually shooting themselves in the foot.

This bill is going to save the average American money and give us protections that we don't have. A low cost public option will put more pressure on Insurance companies to do the right thing – they will have to compete with the public plan – and costs will come down for all of us.

I like money and expect I’ll be able to keep much more of it in my pocket if this bill gets passed. I need a big (bigger) screen TV.

Someone (insurance industry maybe – duh?) is really stretching reality to create a boogeyman out of this issue. I love a good boogeyman story – but this one is just not scary.

August 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  13. joe

I don’t get what the fuss is all about. A Universal healthcare system seems like a WIN WIN for the average American.

The only loser is the insanely profitable Insurance industry – and even they won’t lose much – relatively speaking. Their profits are in the billions – so a billion less won’t make much difference – they’ll just have to compete like every other industry. In doing so, healthcare options, cost and quality will improve for all Americans.

August 14, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  14. Wendel from Ohio

Who has the most to gain or lose with the health reform overhaul? Patients, doctors, lawyers, hospitals, insurance companies, pharmacies, government, etc.

August 14, 2009 at 9:18 pm |