August 13th, 2009
  1. Ileana Mendez

I feel that in the Town Halls should be a place where the government can explain watch exactly are they planning to and how it will effect those with and without health insurance, and how it will effect us as taxpayers. I don't believe anything is going to be resolved because there is no clear explanation of what the the Health Care reform is going to be about. All is see is propaganda of each party, but it gives no real explanation, so we all give opinions that are based on a unclear explanation. I think there should be a live debate just like in the presidential elections so we can know exactly what is happening.

August 14, 2009 at 2:48 am |
  2. Kathleen

I agree with "Mike in Texas" – CNN and other reputable news agencies have a responsibility to their viewers to get behind all of the lies and expose who is behind all of these ads on TV. 60plus.org is backed by the PHARMACEUTICAL industry. Patients United Now is backed by a multi-billionaire, ultra-conservative business conglomerate that has been accused of dumping carcinogenic waste in the US! They are using these ads to misinform, inflame and mislead unsuspecting Americans with the ultimate goal to retain the status quo in healthcare. CNN, do your job – expose these ads and refuse to give them airtime!

August 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  3. Mark from Florida

Just curious what you found so offensive about asking the others tough questions asking them to look in the mirror that you decided not to post it? Seriously what part of my last post did you you take issue with?

August 13, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

I can't believe the anger in these town hall meetings. No way am I going to one. This anger and passion reminds me of the 60s with the civil rights movement and the anti-war movement – that too turned violent. I have never understood why people cannot talk together sensibly over an issue and come to a meeting of the minds through compromise. We do it every day in our jobs – why can't we do it in our political/social lives?

I'm for some sort of health care reform. I would like to hear what we can do before I decide what route I think I like the best. I have insurance right now but my siblings do not and they have small children. Many a time they have needed a doctor and not been able to get one because they are struggling to make ends meet and can't afford the health insurance. No one's health should suffer because of a lack of medical care – that should be one of the first things our citizens are provided, especially children.

August 13, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So let's get this right liberals. Prof. Gates makes a scene shouting racial obscenities in public, and that's OK, he shouldn't have been arrested. But if concerned citizens raise their voices in public they should be arrested. Typical liberal hypocrisy. Different rules for those who agree with you and those who don't.

August 13, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  6. Larry

Why is it that the media fawned over the protestors at Bush, McCain, Clinton rallies yet now the media is anti-protestors; talk about yellow journalism rearing its ugly head.

August 13, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  7. A.M. Deist

America needs to take a lesson from Germany. Misbehavior isn't tolerated during demonstrations there, and it shouldn't be tolerated in America. People who don't want to act civil should be evicted by the police.

August 13, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  8. Jonadab

It saddens me to have seen the display of so many selfish, self-centered Americans that do not want Health Care for the 20 million uninsured. Many of these Americans are senior citizens who have enjoyed the benefits of a government run health care program known as "MEDICARE". Please educate your viewers about the facts by going to whitehouse.gov.

Stop the cycle of IGNORANCE, BIGOTTRY, AND BULLYING by educating yourself about the FACTS of Health Care reform. Do not be intimidated by Republican/right wing propaganda.

August 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  9. Imsadd

Hey Stan, are you and Jeannine Garafolo related, you seemed to share a brain, also the seiu beat and kicked a BLACK gentelman at the Tampa town Hall, he was just trying to sell some trinkets, he had been unemployed and seiu called him names and kicked him and broke ,his glasses, now before you and your kind rush to judgement maybe a dose of reality might help

August 13, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  10. UnRepresented

I'm curious if the posters here and bloggers on the show had any problems when conservatives at universities were shouted down so loudly that they had to leave (this hasn't happened yet as far as I know). When they threw pies at Ann Coulter were you outraged by the Un-American actions, what about Code Pink during govt. hearings, please show me your outrage. How do you feel about people paying people to show up to protest? What if it is Acorn is it different then? Nancy Pelosi actually encourage angry protestors who were shouting down the speaker in 2006, oh yeah they wereshouting "No More war!"

How about all of the George Bush with Nazi swazsticas signs, please show me your protests.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do things but these are real Americans. I'm going to go to my town hall, no bus, no money no big organizationbacking me. Just becuse you disagree, don't think thes people aren't real. And oh yes, I hate black people.. That's why I spend 3 months a year raising money helping mosly minority kids to get into a character building sports program. Thats why I heped fund a Black christian program to reach out to underpriveledged kids around the country.

Most of these peoples anger started when Bush was in office. They / we are angry because they believe our government is spending too much money, and prior to these town halls, our politicians BOTH SIDES were spending without even reading the bills.

I want health care reform. And I like free stuff as much as the next guy, but not if we can't pay for it. Our govt was out of money before the healthcare reform came up? Does anyone know how much Medicare will be in the red this year? In 2018? Social Security?

You need to get out of your comfortable world with people who think exactly like you do while shreding those who differ from you. This debate has gone on for about twenty years too long.

August 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  11. Joy

What I see this is a battle between the insurance companies and people paid for insurance services. Currently, insurance is so evil, they ask you pay the monthly payment, but once you are sick they will kick you out.

I have paying insurance companies through different jobs in last 25 years. Last 5 years, I was paying my own insurance plan. Each year they increase the plan price by 30% in last three years. Three years ago, I was diagnosed and cured for an early stage cancer. Now, my monthly insurnace cost is about $1000 a month. Some of my friends told me the same insurance company, healthnet, has new plan at about $400 a month with very smilar coverage and benefit. So I applied for that new plan. However, I was denied by insurance company to switch, because I had cancer before.

I now realized that health insurance companies are playing trick with people paying them every month. They constantly have new plans come out at lower rate, and keep jacking up existing plan at 30% or higher rate each year. If you are healthy, you will be able to switch plan and still get coverage. If you are sick, you will not qualified for new plan, then you stuck with 30% rate increase each year. That that rate, insurance companies know for sure you will not be able to afford that plan soon or later.

Once you are not able to afford the private insurance plan, what can you do if you are sick? You ask government for help. That is why government MedCare cost is so high, because private insurance companies playing the rate tricks to get rid of the sick people.

ObamaCare or NoBamacare, I support president to reform this health insurance sector. Collecting insurance payment but playing trick to kick sick people out is evil and illeagle on the insurance company part.

I am a Republican and supporting healthcare reform!

August 13, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  12. Jen Roberts

This has NOTHING to do with race. I voted for Obama, I'm white, I'm a democrat and I want everyone in our country to have health care, but I do not support this. The reason is simple. This is the same Congress that allowed our current economic downturn by not paying attention to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the SEC among others. The SEC was warned numerous times about Madoff but did nothing! Congress and government workers are not qualified to take on something this important. We need to get rid of incumbents in Congress and elect people who are not career politicians!

August 13, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  13. Katz

Anderson, under the radar seems to be what Fortune 500 companies are planning for 2010 for health insurance. This is the time of year when such companies are notifying employees of changes to their 2010 benefits. Companies to offer the minimum the law requires, making employees pick up 100% of premiums. What do we do if Obama does not succeed?

August 13, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  14. george

to have control on the situation ,send-in the army and tanks...just like some socialises countries do.

August 13, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  15. Gary Ehlenberger

A single pay system would optimize the statistical analysis for prediction and research. The medical science would improve and thus drive down costs and make it easier to spot environmental health costs. This would make it easier to make sure companies report the true cost of doing business including health and environmental effects.

August 13, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  16. Leila Deliman

Health CARE possible solution

Given the current population of the United States
    308,824,640

Current Government expenditure by taxpayers
    for Federal employees (LA Times, August 2, 2009)
    The Nation section page A3 15,000,000,000
    (That's 15 billion.)
    Assign 1 million for each citizen for health care and then take the extra 10-13 billion and put it into a "Savings" at 2% a year. Use this for citizens needing extra care, create more Mayo clinics, prevention......
    Oh yeah, if you like your current coverage.. give everyone a tax rebate of a 1% year of the interest accruing.

August 13, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  17. lrwhite

If Congress agreed to adopt the health care system themselves & have this document for their health coverage, there would be no need to hold forums. Everyone would believe that their best interests were being looked out for. We need to address the "privilege" given government employees at the same time.

August 13, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  18. Fay - California

I have to agree with the commentors who feel that there's undercurrent of racism running throughout these town hall meetings–all you need to do is look at who comprises the majority of the town halls and it's not implausible to think that some of these people's rage goes beyond the health care issue–this is especially true when you listen to some of the comments that they make about how "their" way of life is being destroyed. This is not to imply that there aren't people out there with legitimate concerns about health care reform, but the disturbing aspect of how race is playing into the entire scenario should not be taken lightly.

August 13, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  19. Wes in Philadelphia

Mr. President, I voted for you and I think you are a good guy. However, I have to say I feel you need to scrap this healthcare bill. I feel that I helped send you to Washington to fix our existing bankrupt social services such as Social Security, and not to create new future bankrupt government services. I know my opinion is one of many, just try and keep the hard working little man in mind when you decide.

Respectfully
    Wesley Tippit aka (The little man, who pays for his own health insurance)

August 13, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  20. Leila

Health care: population of the United States (July 2008)

308,824,640

August 13, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  21. darren

Did anyone else notice that Anderson Cooper asked the congresswoman from Kansas at least three times if the town hall meeting became ugly because of race? Thank goodness she replied each time by saying "no" but Cooper was desperately trying to get her to give some indication it could be racial so the media could run with it. He was so disappointed it almost became annoying. The mainstream media will never let racial matters go because it "sells". Cooper then talked about David Scott, congressman from Georgia 13th district like he felt pitty for this man. Cooper would think otherwise if he saw David Scotts breakdown in a town hall meeting where he basically yelled at his own constiuents. I really think Cooper knows all this is true because he is a smart and articulate man but high media outlets cannot and will not relinquish one of their biggest selling stories "race", even if it is not an issue

August 13, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  22. carmichael

The worst part is that news organizations instead of offering unbiased, balanced reports, are fixating on these irrational town hall meetings and neglecting to present the other side of this issue–those who are not shouting, threatening, shoving, bullying each other around...those who either favor reform or favor discussing it in a rational manner. What of them?

Once again, journalists fall for the "sexy story" and conveniently (because it would require some work and effort of their part) forget the other side of the coin.

Carmichael
    Houston

August 13, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  23. Diane N.

It seems that no one is asking key questions. They are telling opinions. Nor are the hosts able to give enough information to make this effort palpable. More like they are having to be referees. The fact that all the shouters and yellers have an agenda that goes beyond the point of the meetings is just making it all an unproductive spectacle. The people that are doing all the shouting are so wrapped up in their own politics that they are forgetting there are millions of people out there who have no health care and are suffering. Can we not forget this is about health*care not health scare and we’ve got to work together for a solution because someone you care about may be suffering. Can we please leave the personal politics out of this, it’s transparent and embarrassing…I mean really.

August 13, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  24. traylor@rtccom.net

find out how many congressmen have recieved money direct or in direct from insurance companies

August 13, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  25. Debrah

I am an American and I support the President 100% People like Sarah Palin are FEAR and HATE MONGERS. Her ignornace is amazing as well as the rest of her gang of Republican Right Wing .
    The media is playing into it, they are keeping it going. What are people afraid of???

The Town Halls are being used to create FEAR. The Fear Mongers are violent people and they are Bullies. Bullies are running the Town Halls and it's time to take back them back from the Bullies.

I want my voiced heard!!! Start showing the people who do want and support the Health Care reform. Instead of the Hate Mongers!! Stop Spreading the Hate Mongers Lies.

They prey on the Senior population inciting fear , the are taking advantage of them , they are the ones being used as pawns by the Right WING Conservatives,. How do these people sleep at night?? Knowing they are using the older populations to line their pockets with money. They can pay for their health insurance but I have a two adult children with no health insurance and are unable to afford it.

I actually heard this young woman last night stating she wants to go back to what the Founding Fathers put in place. Does she not realize that her RIght To VOTE and speak her opinion was not included????
    IS she going to give it all up?

August 13, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  26. Bob Sherman

If people are angry about the potential for attempting to get a hold on "health care," wait until the nano thermite scientific reports get circulated and publicized that concludes that the towers that fell on September 11, 2001 fell because of planted explosives rather than "the pancake theory" that the media tried to convince us.

August 13, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  27. Nick canellopoulos

You are missing from Inglewood Ca. "Forum" story . The most compelling case about the need of healthcare. Thousands of desperate people in need of medical attention.

August 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  28. Mike in Texas

You just presented an ad on Kyra's show from, I think it was 60plus.org, that was full of the very lies and fear tactics that you have repeatedly proven wrong this week from various sources. This is sad that you will put your greed ahead of the principles your say you have. You have a responsibility to your viewers to not promote content, whether or not it's an ad or an article and yet you have.

This contributes to the fear and panic over non existent issues that we are seeing in the town halls and for that you have your share of responsibility.

I am truely sorry to see that from the best news source in the world.

August 13, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  29. Ksenija Kasumovich

Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame on today's 24 hour news coverage through cable and satellite. We need to stop making this a story - Fox News and Fox channels being the worst, but all cable channels following suit in their own manner. I am a Canadian observing all of this from the sidelines and am dumbfounded by the ignorance in comments both from the public, the politicians and the journalists.

August 13, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  30. Cindy

To me what these political representatives like Ex Governor Sara Palin did is no worse than the con artist who goes after the elderly selling them a false set of goods to rip them off. Am I mad you bet ya, I think these people who push false lies are the lowest of the low and need to be called out on it. Installing real fear into people and causing the kind of anger and behavior we have seen is despicable dirty politics and just shows you the lengths these people will go to hold on to their profits. Don't kid your self, old people the motive behind these lies is no different than the con artist, it is greed pure and simple and they will use race baiting, fear baiting and anything else to hold on to power and money at the countries expense.

August 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  31. Steven Morello

Great segment! Nicely done, Arsalan, especially.

August 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  32. Cindy1976

August 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  33. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I've seen enough on TV of these angry protesters and I wouldn't go near anyone of them. There is just too much anger and violence which tells me it's just a matter of time that someone carries out a dangerous if not deadly crime.

August 13, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  34. Janet Wolfbauer

Asking this question is just a rediculous! It underminds the intelligents of the people of America! What is wrong with CNN anyway? Get to the real news will ya! Take up the plight of the American people and show the truth. If this is news you have lost me!

August 13, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  35. VALERIE

It is always down played when it comes to race. No one wants to admit we still have some serious issues. I have never in my life seen such a debate over anything. No other President has had to face anything even close to this and it is plain disrespect for the office. We may be passionate about our concerns but do we have to act as though we have a fool as PRESIDENT! Any black person knows what is really going on because we have had to face this our entire lives. I realize it is a small number, but the fact is they are racist! They hate the fact that now we finally have a black man in the office of President. This makes it hard for those who have a valid argument to even be heard. These radio talk shows fuels a lot of it. HATE IS NEVER AN ANSWER FOR ANYTHING!

August 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  36. Kalani

Most of the town halls shown on tv are out of control. I thought Sen. Arlen Specter's town hall at Lebanon, PA was one of the more sane and respectful one that I've seen , partly because of the order established by the Senator and partly because some of the audience members asked good questions. Yes, there were some overly emotional and irrational people but good on the senator for his strong stance on protecting and advocating for 1st Amendment rights, even for that one irrational citizen who eventually left.

August 13, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  37. Bickidan

That lady has MObama arms. :o)

People "riot" out of fear and misunderstanding and intolerance of others' opinions. Assign a flat income tax and/or overall sales tax for everyone to cover necessary and catastrophic care. Everything else, leave to individuals to buy additional plans. Take the healthcare responsibility away from employers, so they can hire more people and use the savings to grow businesses.

Let people choose their own insurers for additional coverage. If people didn't have to work 40+ hours a week so many weeks of the year in order to get health insurance benefits, we'd employ MORE people (each contributing a percentage of his/her income to health-care based on income) and more dual-income households would spend more time raising their families, instead of one person being responsible for the entire family. Allow more insurance companies to compete for the additional coverage market. If you took a percentage of income from every U.S. worker, you'd have people cutting back hours and spending time educating themselves or spending quality time with their families. As it is, now, we are mandated to spend 40+ hours a week working just to get healthcare when we could be taking some burden off of other people to raise our kids, especially single parents.

The problem is that the average U.S. household income is around $40-45,000, in which case healthcare premiums can cost around 20% of annual income (they must choose to gamble whether to spend money healthcare or other basic necessities), and the people "in charge" make waaay more than the average income and their insurance is PROVIDED by tax-payers (!!!) or costs way less than 4% of their annual income. No matter how you look at it, a small percentage means wealthier people will still have MORE MONEY than the average American.

August 13, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  38. Joe G. (Illinois)

Some people use a full steak to patch a black eye.. But in this case it’s like as if Obama and his colleagues always want to come out to Town Halls speaking victorious “Beside the facts..” Bottom Line.. Obama needs to step down from is “Fantasy hero ride” and come down to planet earth.. So also his colleagues and supporters. Some very shallow people are willing to get along with Obama’s spending sprees.. But simply put “as it seems to me” that when it comes to people putting their health and livelihood on the line pending Obama’s ability to pay for everything he wants.. That people don’t trust or get along with Obama as “they have spoken.” Obama supporters imply racism and smear the good names of … and counting.. But that and much worse is to be expected.. Thanks and good day.

August 13, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  39. Cindy1976

I would not have believed this but people actually do believe the government wants to euthanize our elderly. I mean I am telling you that the Republicans have done a great job scaring the hell out of a whole population of elderly. Last night one of my patients told me if Obama health care is passed rationing, euthanize of elderly, government denying old people the care they need is actually what they believe.

I could not convince her otherwise about this, which is what is really scary. I am telling you America these lies have taken hold and I am afraid you can kiss Health-care Reform goodbye thanks to this form of lies and scare tactics. Yes the Republicans have succeeded in putting the nail in the coffin and destroying this country and its economic structure.

August 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  40. Dave Dresden

It would be great if more news on the healthcare topic was about the need for reform -not the fighting. Like the lead to a NY Times article below. This happens all over our country! Please raise the level of this discussion.

Thousands Line Up for Free Healthcare
    INGLEWOOD, Calif. — They came for new teeth mostly, but also for blood pressure checks, mammograms, immunizations and acupuncture for pain. Neighboring South Los Angeles is a place where health care is scarce, and so when it was offered nearby, word got around.

August 13, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  41. Susan Eastman

I wonder about these people at the town hall meetings screaming about the Constitution. Critics of the proposed health care reform bills complain about its size – over 1,000 pages- but have these people claiming health care reform violates the U.S. Constitution READ their Constitution? Every law student at an ABA-accredited law school in the U.S. is required to take a full-year length cours on U.S. Constiutional Law. President Obama is a former law professor who taught Constitutional Law. Our Constiution has a clause giving Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce, and to "tax and spend for the general welfare". Health care and health insurance is definitely interstate commerce, and Congress has the power under the Constitution to regulate it. I do agree with Dr. Bill Frist that reform is needed of the health insurance industry. When health insurance companies can either deny coverage for pre-existing conditions or charge outrageous premiums or deductibles for covering such conditions (making such policies worthless), I think that's just WRONG, and must change. The status quo is not acceptable.

August 13, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  42. Michael C. McHugh

The Republicans certainly want to create an image of chaos, anger and things being "out of control", but it's all manufactured and orchestrated. I have watched many of these meetings and see how the Republicans try to pack them with their own supporters, who all sit together in a group, and use the same questions and talking points–often identically worded. They bus these groups to the, and there are always organizers who tell them when to stand up, sit down, yell, scream, boo, and so forth.

In short, I think most of this is a fake, organized by certain big money interests who want to block all health care reform. If you study the video of these events carefully, you will see this is true.

August 13, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  43. edin pohara

Ultimate question for people who keep high moral posiption is " What kind of society would they wonna live in?" Do they want to join rest of industrial world which embrace capitalism with human face? One in need is concern of us all or they want to live in society in which few people gonna make a profit becouse your mother has cancer or my child leukemia simple by denying health care they need.

August 13, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  44. Stan Leacock

Mr. Cooper,

I will make my comments brief as I can regarding the current state of affairs based on what I have seen on CNN regarding the pending Health Reform Plan.
    First – The angry, intimidating, bullying crowds remind me of the same type crowds seen on television when black children and adults were first integrating schools and other public facilities in the sixites. Same bullies, same threats! Those who claim they are reciting facts, are not.
    Second – The media spends most of its time making visible those who oppose the Plan than they do of those who support it. I perceive the media to be more of agitators trying to make the news, rather than report it. Two CNN "reporters, Rick Chavez and and Wolf "Donder" Blitzer in particularly crafty at doing this.
    Third – Less than .5% of the crowds are people of color and I guessing at this, but less than 2% are Democrats. So the media is giving visability to those who did not vote for Presiden Obama and need very little to show their hostility. The only demonstrator who got physically ousted was a black woman who got into a confrontation started by a white man. Very little dialog on this from you guys!
    Fourth – Of course this is a racial issue! You now have a black man as president, his cabinet well integrated with Jews, Hispanics, Asians and Blacks. When I hear the angry crowd member say or infer "they want their country back" or "get back to the constitution', they are saying they want the country runned by white people again. This is racial!!! The Health Reform Plan is just a vehicle of venting on this issue
    Fifth – CNN and other media outlets are really desperate to make news to give so much exposure to Sarah Palin. Why? It's so obvious she is an opportunist who will say anything she can to get political recognition.
    Lastly – I do not remember George W. Bush, or any other previous president, getting 200 day report cards and I don't remember town hall meetings during the Bush administration regarding billions of dollars being spent on the Iraq war where several American private industries, Haliburton, prospered so well.
    Sincerely,

Stan Leacock, Atlanta, GA

August 13, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  45. earle,florida

Holler,and sream till the cows come home,but the fools in DC get their marching orders from K-Street Headquarters,and Joe&Edna homeowners get nuttin! You wanna make change happen? Start with "Term Limits",and demand it! Begin with referendums,signiture gathering,and civililized debates. Nothing gets accomplished with tempers flaring,and anger,mostly because they dissipate quickly with no follow-thru. The simple empirical,and analytical workings of the modern human's phyche,can make change happen,...?

August 13, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  46. Larry so cali

Limbaugh makes 400 million a year.Hannity makes 200 million a year. Insurance company reps sit on the boards of "ALL" Major media and news outlets.

August 13, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  47. Colleen Keenan

Town Halls can be essential ways to communicate with elected representative. But I wonder if the thousands of LA citizens lining up for free health care at the Inglewood Forum had the time, energy and resources to participate. As a health care provider, I know first hand that the crisis we now face can't be shouted, cried or bullied out of existence. I urge legislators to do the right thing and fix this toxic broken system.

August 13, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  48. Melissa

The town hall meetings are way out of control. If this were anything else, they would be escorted out by police for disturbing the peace.

If they can't behave like civilized people, they have no right to be there, regardless of whether its a government event or not.

August 13, 2009 at 11:48 am |