August 13th, 2009

Morning Buzz: 10-year-old recruited by extremists?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/03/pakistan.boys/art.pakistan.suicide.boys.cnn.jpg caption="These boys say they were kidnapped by the Taliban and trained to be suicide bombers."]

Eliza Browning
AC360° Associate Producer

Make sure you check out ‘Generation Islam,’ a special report by Christiane Amanpour about the next generation of Muslims. The attacks on 9/11 taught the U.S. that ignoring rising Muslim resentment can have devastating effects. Is it possible to win the hearts and minds of the Muslim youth? Make sure to watch Christiane’s report tonight at 9 p.m .ET.

We’ll be looking into an incredible story of a young boy featured in the documentary tonight. This 10-year-old child was recruited by extremists to be a suicide bomber, but he was able cut off ties with the group and now tells his story in vivid details. You won't want to miss this.

And we’re all about fact vs. fiction on health care reform. A number of congressional leaders are holding town halls today – trying to explain the reforms and dispel the myths and rumors that seem to be circulating around the country. What impact are these having? Is the plan just so complex that it's impossible to fully grasp? We’ll be exploring the questions that keep coming up in these town halls and we’ll have real answers about what the reform proposal could mean for you. Are there any questions that haven’t been answered? Let us know.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta will tell us the story of three sisters who are senior citizens and have dealt with a host of medical issues over the past few years. Dr. Gupta will explore the struggles they endured and the quality of care they received. These three sisters know exactly what it’s like to work with the current state of the U.S. health care system – and they tell Dr. Gupta what they think of the proposed reform.

And another Emanuel in the White House is facing attacks from the right. Ezekiel Emanuel, a top health care adviser to President Obama – and the older brother of Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel – is emerging as a target for conservatives who are critical of the Democrats’ health care effort. Will his younger brother step in to his defense?

Taiwan’s Typhoon Morakot has left many people stranded in the central and southern regions of the island. But rescue efforts are increasingly difficult because of torrential downpours, dense fog and rugged terrain. Villagers are still stranded as rescue operations try to reach them. They were forced to search by helicopter, inflatable boats and zip-line mechanisms to find the stranded victims. More from John Vause tonight.

Let us know what you’re following today and see you tonight!

Filed under: Eliza Browning • The Buzz
  1. nonya

This has been going on for many years and is not a new phenomenon. We talk about it, we report it, we go ooohhh and aaaahhh and frown but what do we do about it other than that ? What can we do about it ? I don't think awareness needs to be raised more and thus the reporting, we're already aware. So, again, what do we do about it other than talk and report ?

August 14, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  2. Annie Kate

No matter what the explanations or what you show them some people are not going to listen to what you say or believe what you say – just like the people that say we never went to the moon, or that Obama wasn't born in the US, or that more than Oswald was responsible for JFK's death, etc. You'll never get all the people to believe the same thing all of the time – it would be nice though if it were the quieter portion of the population that were the doubters.

I hope the people stranded in Taiwan get rescued soon; I'm sure they are miserable and scared and would love a nice dry spot to sit about now with some hot food to eat.

August 13, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  3. DawnL,CA

A 10 year old! Where are these children coming from-the Madrassas?
    Re a healthcare question for the Obama administration: Does this plan include healthcare for illegal immigrants? if it does, the plan will get a resounding no from me. We taxpayers in California are already paying thru the nose for their healthcare, schooling, food stamps etc. Now the state wants to charge them in-state tuition to attend state colleges which is at a lower price. This will keep more of legal residences out of the schools which we the taxpayers are paying for. The schools are overcrowded now.
    I know CNN will not be able to get an answer to this question, but I thought I would try.
    I watch everything Christiane Amanpour reports-always informative.

August 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  4. GH

LOVE "Carol, California"'s take on the healthcare reform issue. We need more voices of reason like hers, to defend against the lies spread by the conservative militancy that are panicking people into anger and standoffs with both local law enforcement and the Secret Service.

August 13, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  5. Jerry

Teaching one to hate at a young age is how trouble begins for any society or any country for that matter. Whether they are religious extremists or political radicals, the crops are always harvested fresh and green; the fertile soil of choice is deliberate misinformation and a shove down the wrong path. Tragically, millions of lives have been consumed because of this cycle. At the end of World War I, mankind failed to learn from its mistakes. When a second, even deadlier conflict erupted, all mankind did was simply put a number in front of that conflict to overlook its imperfections and called the conflict World War II. Since 1945 all we've manage to do is walk a virtual tightrope. How sad that is.

August 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  6. adela palenzuela

Occupation is wrong

enough with the excuses

free Palestine today!

Adela Palenzuela
    Miami Fl 33125

August 13, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  7. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ontario

Good Afternoon Eliza

The Muslim world's got some extreme tatics and are sick 10 yr old child ? Thank God he got out of there and can expose the truth of what goes on inside this groups .Christiane 's reports are always riviting thanks for this report tonight. I hope they can understand the healthcare reform it's so hard to know what's really the agenda they try to triick us with thier wording and it comes back to bite us in the end please keep them honest! on this important issue .

Thanks for the buzz
    Michelle D.

August 13, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  8. Heather,ca

Its how its been done. Teach them young how to hate. This reminds me of the Iranian boys used to find land mines during the war with Iraq.

August 13, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  9. Carol, California

Well, I don't know about this new-fangled "government-sponsored" health care option – there's really nothing else like it.........except:

– my kids go to private school but I've lost my job and I can't afford to send them there anymore........... guess I'll put them in the public schools.

– I want to mail this package but the FedEx and UPS offices are across town ......... maybe I'll use the United States Postal Service.

My car is broken down but I want to get to the hospital to visit Grandma before Obama pulls the plug on her............ maybe I'll use public transportation.

I'd like my kids to go to a top-notch university. There are a lot of private colleges ......... or maybe I'll send them to UCLA – one of many highly-respected, state sponsored schools

Gee, that jewelry store is being robbed. I guess their private security guard can handle it............ maybe I should call 911 just in case.

There are many more examples of the choices we have for public versus private services. Get a grip on these crazy people saying that this "government sponsored" plan is going to put private insurance out of business. Thanks for trying to present the facts but, honestly, the right-wingers that I know--– won't listen.

August 13, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  10. Cindy

What!? A 10 yr old recruited as a suicide bomber!? Now that's just sick!! I'm glad that he had enough sense to see through that and got out of there! Looking forward to seeing Christiane's report tonight.

It'll also be interesting to hear from the three ladies that Sanjay talked to who are actually living this health care deal out. Their perspective should be interesting on this health care reform.

Cindy..Ga.