August 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/13/09

Thanks for staying up late with us. 360° will be coming your way at 11pm ET, following "Generation Islam." We're following a lot of breaking news. There's word that Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps has been involved in a car accident. Plus, we have new video of that mid-air collision over New York's Hudson River. And, two air traffic controllers have been suspended by the FAA. We'll tell you why.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel • Brazil

@ David
    I agree with you that by number of daily flights, there are few accidents.
    But in the same week there were problems in Brazil, Thailand, France, and this in NY. That scares and anxiety!

August 13, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  2. Rebekah

The soldier that was just "following orders" should be ashamed. Just because terrible people on the other side do terrible things to her fellow American soldiers does not give her the right to do anything like she did. Hasn't it said it enough by now? Two wrongs don't make a right.
    If I were in her situation, I'd much rather get court marshaled than torture another human.

August 13, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  3. Sabrina In Los Angeles

That Bear looks a lot like the one I told them about yesterday!!! running in the wash and knocking over trashcans.

August 13, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  4. Sabrina In Los Angeles

One of the Father's of modern Rock N Roll is gone....sad.

August 13, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  5. Don, WA

All my belly-flops are accidental – but they're definately winners!

August 13, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  6. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hmm....."These things happen in colleges all the time"....I'm not buying that excuse.......

August 13, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  7. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

well, hopefully you peeps will have a pleasant nite and a wonderful tomorrow!

off to the twittersphere!

August 13, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  8. Sandra Robertson, GA

Great program tonight Anderson and Erica. See you tomorrow night.

August 13, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  9. Andy

"Generation Islam" was very insightful.

August 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  10. Cessy, Chicago

firefighting men, belly flapping in the pool -OUCH!!!

August 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  11. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Oh, man, Les Paul? Bummer for the summer!

August 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  12. starr santa fe

We need to be prepared for a long time in Afganistan, not just militarily, but economically, socially and more to get this country into the Global community and not given back to the radical muslims in the Mountains & Pakistan.

August 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  13. Kim St Thomas ON

@Stacy: glad that up here in Canada I never have to worry about losing my home specifically because of medical bills
    PS: we also have an unemployment insurance system that will provide pay for up to a year, as well as short and long term disability benefits that cover us in times of acute, or long term injury or illness. There are always of course some, whose expenses will not be covered by the amount provided to them, but in general, we are not losing our whole lives because of an illness

August 13, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  14. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

and yet another grim story to fall on Michael Phelps fate...

and why is almost all the stories on Celebs tonite dealing with men named Michael?

August 13, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  15. dana

regarding kim st thomas on. comment.
    finally someone who speaks the truth!!!

August 13, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  16. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

So glad Phelps is alright! Goodnight and just say "no" to Michael Vick!
    I luv u guys! XO

August 13, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  17. Albert, New York

@Erica, only if there were more people like Dr. Abuelliash then middle east would be a different place

August 13, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  18. Andy-Philadelphia

Citi's energy trader generated a lot of revenue for the company and should be paid $100 million as agreed in his pay for performance contract.

August 13, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  19. Rebekah

Dr. Abueliash's story is so tragic. i heard the basis of the story and i instantly had tears falling off my face. it's people like this doctor that helps me remember that there is hope in this world for peace. Anderson's interview with Dr. Abueliash was simply beautiful. I hope he wins the Nobel Peace Prize he was nominated for. he truly deserves it, there are so few people like him in the world.

August 13, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  20. cristy kirssin

Just like the doctor people know immediately how to react in their spirits when tragedy happens, you make a choice, and are usually convicted by your fear of G-d, that is how he probably knew..

August 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  21. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Amanpour is a fabulous reporter. Dr.Abueliash is a wonderful and brave example of peace. Amazing!

August 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  22. Cessy, Chicago

remarkable man indeed. A very touching story..

August 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Wow, what a heartbreaking report from Christianne. Seeing the devastation and blood is saddening. I applaud this doctor for his passion and am glad he is supporting women as a solution to peace in the Middle East.

August 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  24. Karen (Lincoln NE)

I can only pray that there are more people like that doctor in the world. It renews my faith a little bit in mankind. It's gotten awfully lost lately.

August 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  25. starr santa fe

What a moving interview with the doctor.

I hope he wins the Nobel Peace prize. His dedication to making something positive out of tradgedy is inspiring.

In the memory of his daughters he is creating something amazing. God bless him and his remaining family. And great thanks to a Man who understands how importan women are to a society.

August 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  26. Sandra Robertson, GA

Christiane Amanpour always get to the heart of the matter in her reports. My heartfelt sympathy to Dr. Abuelaish and his family and all families who suffer loss through devastating wars.

August 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  27. Krasi

Erica, yes, I watched the report and will be thinking about it for days to come. Makes me have a different look at my life.

August 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  28. Jen

Thank you, Dr. Abuelaish, for your work and your strength.

August 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  29. cristy kirssin

Look at what Gaza has become, virtually nothingness! But take a look at it's leadership, Hamas. Nothing good can ever come out of cursing and terrorising Israel. And that is what the doctor was readily aware of and knew how to redirect his thinking. He really deserves that award!

August 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  30. Lori, IL

I'm glad Anderson's interviewing this amazing doctor. Good interview, interesting questions.

Christiane's dispatch is an amazing story. I really enjoyed it the first time you aired it a few months ago - perhaps all the "angry" people (at the town halls) should see this and realize that it's better not to hate.

August 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  31. ericacnn

Dr. Abueliash is an incredible man. So many can learn from him.
    I hope you were able to see Christiane's reports tonight – the 2 hr special was engaging, eye-opening and so well done.

August 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  32. Krasi

This man is right. Responding to violence with violence never solves anything. So many proofs of this around us.

August 13, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  33. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

We need more people like the Doctor who lost his daughters in Gaza. What a brave and righteous man! Peace!

August 13, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  34. Larry

We need more doctors like Dr. Abueilesh – anywhere.

August 13, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  35. Krasi

Stacy, good point. Having insurance doesn't mean a thing unless something horrible happens and you are denied coverage.

August 13, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  36. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Karen, I will totally join you in booing Michael Vick, it's sad because a lot of people are sympathizers and do nothing else

August 13, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  37. kim - albany, ny

I am a dog lover, I have two and think dog fighting is disgusting but Michael Vick, a product of his environment, has been through a lot these past 2 years, jail time and much money lost and he didn't kill a person. I think he can come back to the NFL now.

August 13, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  38. David, Indiana

@Isabel, it does seem like there have been a rash of aviation accidents, but given the innumerable flights around the globe everyday, the actual chance of a mishap happening to any one flight is very, very low and flying is regarded as one of the safest forms of travel. I worry about friends and family and everyone who might be flying too. Looking into the accidents that do happen and investigating them thoroughly is one way to improve and assure safety. I know there is more we can do, this would be an extensive discussion.

August 13, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  39. Stacy

@Kim: Yeah, and the issue isn't even about just the uninsured. The fact of the matter is that none of us know whether or not we have good insurance until we're hit with a catastrophic illness/accident. The leading cause of bankruptcy in this country is medical bills and many of those people HAVE insurance. The system is broken.

August 13, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  40. Albert, New York

if they change malpractice rules then the doctors dont need to order so many useless tests, just to cover them selves then we can see a large drop in health care cost

August 13, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  41. Karen (Lincoln NE)

I hope Michael Vick gets booed off the field the first time he plays. I can always hope, but I have so little faith in my fellow Americans judgement anymore, I'm sure they won't.

August 13, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  42. Ligia, San Jose/CA

@ BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Maybe Dr. Murray never watched TV before being hired by MJ...

August 13, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  43. Krasi

Amanpour’s report was chilling and sad. Watching those kids and listening to their stories reminded me of how much I should be thankful for every single day. So many of us take so much for granted.

August 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  44. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Dr. Murray is feeling guilt, why else would he come out and say he didn't know?

August 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  45. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Perhaps administering Propofol is not a crime, but I agree with Sanjay, if it did happen, it should have been done in a hospital setting and Dr. Conrad should then be held accountable.

August 13, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  46. Cessy, Chicago

it'll be interesting to know who introduced this drug to MJ and how long he was using it...

August 13, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  47. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Anderson. Thank God Michael Phelps and others were not seriously injured in the auto accident.

I am surprised Michael Jackson's physician did not get a thorough medical history on his patient before treating him.

August 13, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  48. Eleanor

I am oddly fascinated by the Michael Jackson story. It is just so bizarre.

August 13, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  49. Toan

It seems to me that every time I find new news about this "Dr." Conrad, his medical professional career looks less credible and shadier each time. Why would he not get a background check on his patient, let alone an extremely famous one.

August 13, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  50. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Hey Erica! Glad you quit yaking and decided to blog! good to see you! What do you think of Michael Vick playing for the Eagles? I am sick!

August 13, 2009 at 11:38 pm |