August 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/13/09

Thanks for staying up late with us. 360° will be coming your way at 11pm ET, following "Generation Islam." We're following a lot of breaking news. There's word that Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps has been involved in a car accident. Plus, we have new video of that mid-air collision over New York's Hudson River. And, two air traffic controllers have been suspended by the FAA. We'll tell you why.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Paulo - Houston, TX

Come on Erica...get on the ball...:)

August 13, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  2. Cessy, Chicago

Sad to hear about Eunice Shriver's passing. While in grad school and working part-time at Bloomingdales Home store here in Chicago, she became one of my regular customers. She used to call me, first sold her sets of luggages for her kids! ...and she would buy home stuff for her kids...nieces and nephews. She was a wonderful person indeed.

August 13, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  3. Fred

Regarding Dr. Murray: for $150,000 a month I could forget almost anything.

August 13, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The doctor should have known about the late Michael Jackson's medical history.

August 13, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  5. cristy kirssin

The Palestinian doctor is a great example because he took a personal tragedy and virturally neturalized it's effects by teaching his kids not to hate–Amazing! Love will heal and hate and unforgivness will destroy, there is no doubt about it...

August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  6. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Dr. Conrad Murray is full of it. I knew MJ was on drugs. hello? Unusual problems? That would be the understatement of 2009!

August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  7. ericacnn

i'm doing too much chatting in the studio and not enough on the blog!

August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  8. kayjonescnn

It seems like everyday, there is something interesting that comes out around the Michael Jackson story.

August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  9. Kishore Reddipeta

Anderson: Eunice Shriver is a true champion who worked hard to lead the message of hope through special Olympics for the disabled athletes, and should be honored with Country's Highest Civilian award. She will live for generations, through the Special Olympics.

August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  10. Wendy Wand

Michael Vick.......your just sorry because you were caught!!

August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  11. Claudia

I agree, let's hear from the people who support health care there should be more than 40 million of them.

August 13, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  12. Niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 cast and bloggers,

Glad to come home from my restaurant and see the program is still broadcasting.

President Obama might have to agree that nationalizing health care reform with his proposal bill to cover every American and a freedom to choose his/her doctors comes with a hefty price tag– the premiums will go higher ( patients like to get best care possible, attending instead of residents, with prescriptions over the counter drug..etc )

August 13, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  13. Kim St Thomas ON

Totally agree with the comment above regarding the fact that it really seems like it is the fortunate, well-employed people that seem to be doing all the yelling about a public health insurance........where are the uninsured, poor, unemployed, disabled people who oppose health care reform....oh, there aren't any??

PS: are there not any republican representatives holding town halls? I would love to see some democrats posing pre-planned, pointed questions asking why their seems such an unwillingness on the part of their party to assist those who most need it!

August 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  14. Anthony

Hello all,

I live in Canada and can say that our healthcare system is heavily flawed. With no private competition the quality is crumbling. The average wait at the emergency room in my city is 12 hours. Many, many people do not have a family doctor due to a massive shortage of M.D.'s. Following in the footsteps of Canada is not the answer for you guys. However, your system does need some reform.

August 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  15. Eleanor

Justified, the stock is trading at $4 a share. Where is the performance?

August 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  16. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Why is it whenever I see Michael Vick speak, he doesn't seem sincere to me. That 60 minutes interview sounds interesting.

August 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Colleen Ahrens, That might not be a bad idea. From what I have seen, the American people seem more informed than those that are supposed to be representing them.

August 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  18. dana

40 yrs. ago people were having the same uproar about medicare, ask the senior citizens if they would like to take their govt. run insurance away, you would probably have a fight to the death im sure.

August 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  19. Stacy

I agree with Karen. Let's hear from the health care reform supporters.

August 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  20. Jen

@ Krasi, I completely agree. Sometimes I wonder if some of these people even know what socialism is as opposed to being something someone somewhere told them was bad. We know socialism does not work. This is not socialism, this is common sense. We have to do something about the opportunities we provide to our citizens – including health and education – if we want to compete in the global world.

August 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  21. Krasi

During the Depression people starved because they couldn't afford to buy bread. Can we really compare higher taxes so everyone receives good health care to this?

August 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  22. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

I am outraged that the Eagles would let a dog killer on the team. I won't watch. Say no to dog fighting AND Michael Vick!

August 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  23. Karen (Lincoln NE)

Fay, we aren't entertaining enough. But, hey, if they interviewed me, I could get plenty passionate on the opposite side. I'd even have actual facts to talk about instead of made up fears.

August 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  24. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I have lost all respect for the Eagles because of this signing....

August 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

It seems like good news coverage cuts through some of the health care misconceptions–death panels, govt getting into personal banking accts–like a hot knife through butter. Why not start with the actual issues?

I can't tell what's going on in the video of Rep Sheila Jackson Lee.

Healthcare legislation, healthcare reform, or health insurance reform is a huge question. The President and congress have to consolidate support based on clearly communicating provisions of the legislation under consideration to the public. An excellent discussion w/Candy Crowley, Joe Johns, and Tom Foreman.

August 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  26. Stacy

As often said, the measure of a society is found in how they treat their weakest and most helpless citizens. We're the richest country in the world, yet app. 47 million of our people don't have adequate access to health care. It's shameful.

August 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  27. Nina

Hey Anderson. The government (spending out of control) has taken over so much already–and now health care? Just look at how miserably Veterans Affairs hospitals are run and the fiscal failure of Medicare and Social Security. The answer to the problems is NOT more expansion of an inefficient government–we have seen too many failures already!

August 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  28. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

These scare tatics are not cool because if they keep it up, there will be violence. I am positive our enemies would love for us to start a revolution in our country. let's be peaceful out there~

August 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  29. Melanie

Why doesn't the government just create a special tax on the bonuses for those who work for people who work companies who has gotten "help" from the government in the credit debacle? Sure, maybe that law didn't exist then, but the tax law would still apply to all earnings over the last year. At least, taxpayers could recoup some of the excessive bonus money that way and it could be laddered according to amount of the bonus or percentage of income.

August 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  30. cristy kirssin

I mean this Michael Jackson story makes no sense...it sounds like the doctor's results are innaccurate. The world is waiting to hear something that makes sense, the fans deserve it.

August 13, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  31. Isabel • Brazil

@ David, Indiana

Are relevant to their questions. Have recently been so many aviation accidents. I am so worried to know that friends and me have to use it.

The security conditions are uncertain in in air traffic.

August 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  32. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

these town halls prove that people do not like change, and they can't adapt to the current situation....

August 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  33. jeff

To defend their monetary bonus policies these corporations describe them as performance-based. How does the performance of these executives exceeded the reasonable expectations of their position to warrant a bonus when many of these corporations would be (are) bankrupt without government funds because of a lack of responsible policy emanating from senior leadership?

August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  34. Fay - California

I agree with Karen – why is so much airtime being given to the shouters who's motivation is still questionable? Why aren't we hearing from some people who may support health care reform?

August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  35. Mike in Jax

How does that saying go?

If the people are afraid of the government, that is tyranny. If the government is afraid of the people, that is liberty.

August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  36. Shawn

I don't understand why congressman don't start these town halls with if you yell or disrupt you will be thrown out. the demacrats need to get tough on these Republican mob tactics.

August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  37. R. Evola

Hey there AC360-

Simple question – as a small business owner, am I going to be forced to pay more taxes to cover mandatory HC insurance for my employees?

August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  38. Don, WA

The goal is'nt to make everyone happy – it's to give everyone healthcare.

August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  39. Colleen Ahrens

If the White HOuse thinks that the news is covering just the heated town hall meatings, why don't they just let us citizenzs vote on this Health Care Bill. Put it before the Amercian public and let us really decide what we want as a country.

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  40. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Those people at the town hall meeting Where Tom Foreman was were just behaving themselves because CNN was there!

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  41. Toan

'Can't believe the socialism card is still being played. Yeah, I too hope everyone in the Michael Phelps accident are ok. First we get 8 gold metals, and after that, it seems all we're getting is bad news from this role model. Will we get 8 bad incidents or news coverage before the next olympics? I fear it will be much sooner...

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  42. Mark of Miami, FL

Shame on you Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. You have got to be kidding me. Taking a Phone Call during your town hall!! A cancer victim no less! Outrageous and inconceivable that you are an elected official...

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  43. cristy kirssin

Look people are getting emotional because they trusted Obama and now they are seeing the fruits of their voting. That is what happens when people choose a leader based on charisma and personal appeal. That is not the right reason to elect a leader.

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  44. kim - albany, ny

its comical to me when I hear people at these meetings who do not want health care reform.. afraid of socialism and do not want the US involved with their health care... but they are on medicare...

August 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  45. Steven - West Union, OH

I can handle a higher deficit for better health care if we can restrict the current $1.2 trillion wasted in health care policy. After a few years it will have paid for itself.

August 13, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  46. mike m

what do the officials of either side of helath care reform have to gain? i really do not think the politicians whom support it would get nothing, but the politicians whom are fighting it are probably getting paid by insurance companies, drug companies, etc.. if govt was so bad why do we put all our trust in the security of our nation in the hands of the govt. (ie: army, navy , air force, marines.)

August 13, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  47. Pam

As a UK citizen, if NHS is considered socialism, I can highly recommend it over the US healthcare I have gotten while living in the US.

August 13, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  48. Albert, New York

a contract is a contract and if he did what he was supposed to do then he should get what was promised

August 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  49. Eleanor

Insurance is getting much worse. Higher premiums and it is much tougher to get in to see the Doctors. Who in turn don't want to take the time to go over your health issues.

August 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  50. Judith

I just don't get the uproar over the health bill. Am I missing something? I have heatlh insurance from my employer and think that everyone should have adequate health care. I just don't see the 'socialized' health care that everyone is afraid of or the 'death panels'. How anyone could believe that (death panels) is beyond me.
    All of this carrying on is making me think that it's not really about the health care bill but something else and that really scares me.

August 13, 2009 at 11:21 pm |