August 13th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Beyond all that shouting

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/08/12/health.care.fears/art.health.care.cnn.jpg caption="The battle over health care reform has energized people on both sides of the debate."]

Suvro Banerji
AC360° Intern

For the past couple of weeks, we have seen so many ordinary Americans aggravated by the health care reform bill. We have shown you the protests and the frustration during the town hall meetings. Tonight, though, we will look beyond all that anger and instead, directly reach out to those who frankly aren’t happy. Is this really about health care reform or something else? Uncovering America, Tom Foreman talks with some of the protestors.

The Tea Party Express is organizing more than 30 rallies across the country, opposing the President's reform plans. Mark Williams, one of the key players of the campaign will join us to tell us what he’s trying to accomplish.

Also tonight, we look at Citigroup, a recipient of a massive bailout money under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) reportedly asking to write a bonus check for a $100 million dollars to a single employee. But didn't the Obama administration put restrictions on executive compensation earlier this year? Ali Velshi has the details in tonight’s your money, your future report.

Plus, new video of the mid-air collision over New York’s Hudson River offer stunning new perspective on the accident.

And we will show you a tragic story of a man who suffered an irreparable loss. A Palestine doctor lost three of his daughters and his niece in an Israeli shelling attack. But Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish is not filled with hate.. He’s appealing for peace between Israelis and Palestinians. Christiane Amanpour has his story in tonight’s 360° Dispatch. Dr. Abuelaish also joins us to talk about his foundation, ‘Daughters for Life” and his message to Israelis and Palestinians who feel violence is the only way to resolve the conflict.

All these stories and much more tonight on 360° at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: 360° Radar • Economy • Health Care • The Buzz
  1. Beverly Thompson

Why are you not reporting who is behind the protests? Like the republican who was behind the Willie Horton ad. Grassfire.org and resist.net. This is same old tactic the republications have used for years. Fear. I can't understand why people don't do their homework before running out and acting like complete idiots. The rich and powerful will continue to manipulate the little people to do their dirty work so that they can stay rich and powerful.

August 14, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  2. Ron

"Melinda August 13th, 2009 10:51 pm ET
    Why do I have a gut feeling that the teaparty and others somehow have to do with race?"

Because in your gut you are a racist.

In 1993, when people fought Hillary-care, you saw no racism....but when the same people fight Obama-care, you only see race.

August 14, 2009 at 12:31 am |
  3. Sherri

Health care reform is one thing – Obama Nation is another- Wake up and smell the kool aid. And Medicare work beautifully? How much have you been drinkling? Republicans drive SUV and so do Democrats- the only difference is that Republicans don't believe in "global warming". We are smart that way- we actually read and also do know history. You should try it. No one screams more than the dems- remember Hillary – and just go back and watch the videos when you were all chanting for Obama during the elections. While you are at it – watch the videos of your King in 2003 to see what his agenda really is. Have you figured out yet that your King says one thing but does the opposite? One term boy- count on it!

August 14, 2009 at 12:27 am |
  4. Randy Conner

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I lost my job about five months ago, waited five weeks for my unemployment stressing over paying my rent and car payments all the while loosing my health insurance. Yes I recieved a letter from cobra, yes I could keep my insurance but it would cost me $1,300.00 a month. I chose to pay rent instead of health insuance. Now I am still looking for a job daily putting out my resume, The kind of work I do ive been doing for thirty years, when I do get an interview the job pays less than I would make on unemployment and know health insurance or im over qualifed. Im affraid, stressed out and at my whits end. All my life ive worked hard raised my kids, pay my bills. Now I just don’t know what to do. So I say to people who have health insurance great ! But I need health insurance too. I want a job, I want to live.

August 14, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  5. Arland

I am also very disappointed with AC and his groupies. They, as a media outlet, are themselves enflaming the issue by always agreeing that the public have verified concerns. Yet those concerns of the public which get aired are only the enflamed concerns. I have yet to see the majority opinion of people like me who want reform but go about it with intellect and decorum on the news. Where is our voice on CNN? I am so tired of hearing, "But obviously these people have legitimate concerns." Where are they? All I can distinguish is inflammatory remarks and distorted views, and yes, the lies, the lies and more lies. i would like to see AC ask about the rest of us, but they don't want to hear our balanced concerns because it's not news worthy.

August 14, 2009 at 12:23 am |
  6. yolanda

I am a single 50+ female and have worked all my life since age 15. On 2006 – may I was in nursing home admissions dept. and thats when cut backs started in healthcare. I worked for various companies and in 2007 I started another Nursing Home and had Oxford Ins. I was laid off and I continued to pay my insurance under Cobra. Just in June I reached the time limit. I was informed a on June 30th. I didn't fix in the Sept. for the insurance cut, because, I had keap my ins. from my previous company. Now, I have been without insurance for two months. I was paying almost 400. dollars for Oxford and the only reason i keap the insurance because you never know what can happen. I am still unemployed and I am trying to get a cheaper insurance. The government has forgotton single people. What about us! We don't count, we don't eat, we also pay rent, mortage, credit cards. Whats going to happen to the single people in their 50+

August 14, 2009 at 12:20 am |
  7. RichC Fairview, Tx

Anderson,

You and most of the media are trying to compartmentalize the anger that is being shown at the town hall meetings to the details healthcare bill(s). i.e. the bill(s) and not the consequence of the bill. The anger is all about healthcare consequences (not the bill) and it is exacerbated by the frustration with the bailout(s). Yes, there is some effort to organize for disruption, no doubt, but in my view it is not the mainstay of the anger represented by the people. This is American Revolution #2.

I have never spoken out politically in the past but I am angered at the lack of listening that our representatives in Congress demonstrate. Most of what we are trying to express IS related to health care. I feel that Washington won't/doesn't/can't listen. I have contacted my Congressman, Ralph Hall, 4th District, Texas but he has chosen to bury his head in the sand. I don't care that he is Republican and shares my most of my views about this plan. I want to be heard! He has not responded to any emails and no town hall meeting has yet been scheduled. Are our Congressman even listening? …or, as has been reported, are they on their cell phones pretending to be working and listening at the same time? I for one am tired of being ignored and angered that we, the people are not allowed to be heard.

No one, including the President, has expressed any thoughts on how we will pay for this. Mr. Obama ignores/dodges the hard questions. Some one needs to present a cost analysis. Politicians shouldn’t try to bury the cost discussion. It will cost us something. Everyone know this, but how much? We can take it. We understand that this is not free but don't try to bury it. In fact, let's hear more from the Budget Office, who is supposed to be independent. Put them front and center in the news. Make them detail the costs.

e.g. $500 million is supposedly being cut from Medicare but no one has said what is being cut, or is this a misconception and why. What other programs and services may be cut.

The President states that we can keep our doctors and current plans. However, every economist knows that market forces will move plans toward the cheapest plan, which undoubtedly will be the public option. Our politicians need to be honest about the potential consequences and talk about them honestly. Bring the economists out to discuss potential consequences.

No one is talking about alternatives to this plan. That is a reason why people are angry. We see this as the only option and it is being forced through Congress so that Pres. Obama can check a box on his “To Do” list. Let’s have an honest examination of the alternatives and then decide how to go forward. Yes, that will take time, but we need to get it right!

Finally, why does the government need (or want) to be the middleman in this process. Pres. Obama said that we have FedEx, UPS and the Post Office. Nuff said! Let's look for a way to provide insurance to every legal citizen. (Don't know why I that today that the word "citizen" needs to be qualified with the word "legal", but that is another discussion).

I am sure there is more I could say but I will sop with Lets’ have an honest debate with full disclosure of the pro’s and con’s including the consequences of each component of the healthcare plan. We, the people can take it.

Best regards,

RichC, Fairview, Texas

August 14, 2009 at 12:16 am |
  8. denis stergiotis

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    The Neo Cons are missleading Americans!

The problems we have today were caused by the bad management of the American economy by the Republicas.

The problems occured under their watch.

The ideology and philosophy of the Neo Cons was what caused the problem

The Bush Neo Conservatives that shared similar opinions as Mark Williams believed that less government is the best type of government.

So the Neo Cons did not act to regulate the financial sectors .

If we would have had more government , the finanacial sector would have been regulated .

A regulated financial sector would not have let these financial institutions get so out of control .

Our financial sectors would not have beem allowed to be so heavily invested in and highly leverage in risky financial investments/ paper.

So please do your homewark and do not allow them to repeat lies .

August 14, 2009 at 12:14 am |
  9. cheryl

I don't think the government needs to run our healthcare system but there is a serious need for reform. The finest healthcare in the world is worth nothing when you can't afford it. If you don't have insurance and you're not wealthy you might as well live in a third-world country. Even with insurance, you had best not have a serious illness unless you have very deep pockets. Something has to give!

August 14, 2009 at 12:05 am |
  10. Dee

I watched the show this evening and it was interesting to see the individuals who showed up to these town hall meetings. We first need to address something that was brought up on the show; which is the fact that a majority of the individuals that actually show up to these meetings are the same people who did not vote for the Obama administration—and are extremely conservation, hence they seek every opportunity to criticize and offer resistance to the administration. These are the same people who are convinced that “miracles” occur through immaculate interventions and that prehistoric creatures coexisted with Homo sapiens—so any opinion offered by them should be put through clinical trials.

Another important point that was brought up during Andersons discussion with a group of correspondents—well, one in particular who stated that there were similar oppositions during the Bush administration, however were not given the same attention. He further stated that there were larger groups of people showing up to these meetings hence the media coverage. The reason there are more people showing up to these meetings is because those illiterate conservatives are unemployed and have nothing better to do (review the statistics...it’s a fact). During the Bush administration, as much as the democrats despised his ignorance and lack of intellect...and everything in between, due to economical inconveniences and the sheer fact that we actually making a contribution to society we passed on the opportunity of “yelling” at our congress representatives.

Health Care is the least of issues for the extreme conservatives–this is really just an opportunity for them fell like they can elicit change.. And of course diffuse the anger they have had bottled up since Obama got elected. This is really an issue of the fact that "they" lost and we "won".

August 14, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  11. Karen (Lincoln NE)

Be nice if you spoke to a few supporters. The polls are nearly evenly split but you would never know it from the media coverage.

August 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  12. Deborah Stewart

Thank GOD for Dr. Izzeldin. He is a true Warrior of God. He spoke of light and love even in the face of grief. Now that's a real man. He's right, Women should take the lead...cause look what Man has done. And I'm a full blooded woman...love men...but they can relinquish the reins and let us drive for awhile. We'll get them there, and they'll be safe and rested and feed and loved along the way. We women are amazing. After all Humans are a part of the line of Mam auls. lol

August 13, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  13. denis stergiotis

The Neo Cons are missleading Americans!

The problems occured under their watch.

The ideology and philosophy of the Neo Cons was what caused the problem

So the Neo Cons did not act to regulate the financial sectors .

So please do your homewark and do not allow them to repeat lies .

Shine the light of truth on the clouds of lies the some Right Wingers and Private interests are spreading!

If you do not , Americans will be misinformed and mislead .

If the people are misled, they will make the wrong decisions and the country will be going in the wrong direction.

The consequences will be that the lies and half truths will benefit only private interests and the very rich . This will hurt the middle class and the underpriviledged. It will lead America into the dark ages .

The truth will enlighten the people and they will make decisions that will benefit all Americans in the long run.

August 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  14. Freethinker

It is interesting to see that all these angry people are so concern about the proposed healthcare system expense which would allow their fellow americans who cannot afford buying medical insurance, to have the right for medical care. Why is it that these same angry americans do or did not complain about the nine to twelve billion dollars a month that the invasion/war to Iraq has been costing us? They talk about president Obama lying to americans?, and what about George Bush who lied to us about the weapons of mass destruction and Sadam Hussein being friends with Osama Bin Laden? What about the young men and women who have lost their lives because of a lie?
    One more thing I notice from the images shown on tv, 99.9% of these angry demonstrators are white, hmmmm .. could it be that they are angry at the fact that our new president does not look white like them?

August 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  15. Regina

Anderson is not presenting a balance yet. Obama inherited a mess, if he had not taken action, he would have been criticized in the extreme. The Republican’s put in place a war that is bleeding our resources and they passed the TARP for big businesses without restrictions. Obama fought for the stimulus, which helps the average person, and now he is fighting for our country’s health and healthcare.

There is so much money that is made on our need for healthcare, the pharmaceuticals have always made massive profits. The lobbyist in congress are 10 to 1 representative or more. The average US citizen should be able to put 2 and 2 together to know the medical profiteres are behind the opposition to healthcare reform and propagating lies in the media.

I am surprised Anderson contributes to the poor media coverage and participating in the sensationalizing for ratings.

August 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  16. Lilly

I wonder if all these pseudo pundits and pundits alike realize that they are trying to play judge and jury over something that should be a basic fundamental right to all people. Wow... is money more important than humans beings?

August 13, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  17. Susan Lampe

I turned off CNN's Andersen Cooper tonight after seeing Foreman's previous interview with an insurance broker the second time and then the man who organized taking people across the country to disrupt town hall meetings. The second man is a CONSERVATIVE talk show host as –is this not biased reporting??? Surely the insurance lobbyists and conservatives have been successful in again derailing health care for everyone. As long as for profit insurance companies stand between the public and their healthcare we will NOT have reform in this country. You have made it look like this is what people want. I am one of those paying out of pocket $10,000 a year for what is called healthcare but gives me nothing back. I would like to see reporting that represents BOTH sides but guess that is a thing of the past. I'll go back to MSNBC. P.S. My husband has Medicare and I can't wait–it works beautifully! S. Lampe

August 13, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  18. Walt Dwelle

I just watched the piece about the $100 million bonus for the Citi employee and had to run to the restroom to vomit. This "Energy Trader" is one of the prime guys who took your gasoline prices to $4 per gallon last summer and that is exactly how he earned the "bonus".

I am in the industry and understand that this guy heads a speculative investment division in Citi and his bonus was paid for primarily by gas and diesel consumers in this country. Now these consumers are going to get to pay again.

August 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  19. Jean (Florida)

I don't understand why democrats are so coward when it comes to govern. Republicans have been staging all these protests across the country because they lost the last election and it's a way for them to come back. It's not about health care reform. We know it.

There were huge protests by democrats and liberals across the country following the Irak war, however, republicans did not give in. It was never so publicized. Now why is it that because republicans are making noise in those townhall meetings that democrats have to give in with the health care reform. Republicans can not talk for the american people, they don't represent the american people.

Democrats should get organized. I am sick and tired of those sore losers who think they can intimidate people. Enough is enough. The health care reform should go on. My message to all Democrats: Go to the townhall meetings. Fight back the republicans who are yelling and shouting. We won the last election. We can this war for Health Care Reform.

August 13, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  20. concerned american

Obama is trying to overhaul everything, by forcing through poorly written liberal policy. Before anyone will trust him, he needs to prove himself with something small. Before you uproot healthcare – try fixing medicare, before you take over all the banks, try fixing social security or balance the budget not triple the debt.

He has NO experience. What has he ever done? – He's never owned or run a business, He's never run a state, city or even completed a full term as senator. Even when he was a senator for a year or so, he didn't do a thing. He can't even organize a sentence without a speech writer and a teleprompter.

Name one area of gov't that has ever been profitable or outperformed the private sector. they can't even deliver mail and we want to let them run the banks, industries, and healthcare?

August 13, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  21. Brian

As you listen to the conservative protestors you hear the comments of the radio talk show demagogues they listen to and believe, the same ones who can't stand the idea and don't want to believe that they lost the 2008 election because their ideas of what this country should be like failed miserably at the polls. I actually heard one claim he heard President Obama say he was going to create his own private army. We need to get back to the idea that public airways must carry all points of view, not just one, so they can be used in a fair and balanced way. The airways are all of ours, not just a small group.

August 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  22. Jon Kass

These people causing the disturbances at the town hall meetings are simply a loud minority. These are the idiots that voted for the inept and crooked republicans that got us into this mess and their candidates lost so now they should shut up and with their tails between their legs and their feet in their mouths, watch Obama get this country back on its feet. Not only are they ignorant of the real facts regarding the healthcare issue, they are simply a stupid bunch of racist and greedy idiots that have already done so much damage to our country by making the elections of 2000 and 2004 close enough that W could steal them. What can they say when confronted with the fact that Medicare and the VA are both very popular socialized medicine programs that work? They are made of the same garbage as the republicans that that walked out of Congress, or signed Newt's contract with America. Our democracy works when people are educated and informed; these idiots are neither.

August 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  23. denis stergiotis

The Neo Cons are missleading Americans! The problems we have today were caused by the mismanagement of the American economy by the Republicas. The problems occured under their watch. The ideology and philosiphy of the Neo Cons was what caused the problem The Bush Neo Conservatives yhat shared similar opinions as Mark Williams believed that less government is the best type of government. So the neo cons did not act to regulate the financial sectors . If we would have had more government and a regulated financial sector then things would not have gone so out of control . Our financial sectors would not have invested and have leverage high risk financial paper.
    So please do your homewark and do not allow them to repeat lies . They are practicing sophistry and believe that if you say something often enough and loud enough some people will think they are saying the truth. Your job is to keep them honest.

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  24. Shelley Freeman

The Tea Party spokesperson who likened the health care reform as socialism because the government owns the banks, auto industry, and next health care. If the government hadn't stepped in where would we be in soup lines??!! Mr. Obama campaigned health care reform and he was voted into office on that campaign and is doing his best to put this country back together after a disasterous 8 years of the Bush Whitehouse.

August 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  25. PeterNola

I would like to ask all citizens sending incorrect summaries of the Bill to learn the facts.I have read e-mails that are even broken down by page number usings words and descriptions that do not appear in the Bill,such as "no choice", "goverment will have complete access to your bank account". lets get real !!!
    i would also like all insured citizens to review there current insurance then ask,

How much coverage do I have if I were develop a cronic illness?
    What would happen if a family member needed long term in home care or long term hospital care?

Stop the panic and start with facts not entertainment "News"

Peter Nola
    Miami Fl

August 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  26. Deborah Stewart

I'm, sorry did the Black Guy hear the question?

August 13, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  27. concerned american

I agree with mr dawson's post. Americans want real answers, not generic teleprompter speeches. People are fed up already with the arrogance, scare tactics and control of the Obama administration. In 7 months, he's taken over the banks, the auto industry, soon to be health care and is limiting our freedom of speech in the process. Talk about invasion of privacy.
    ACLU and Dems were up in arms about wiretaps on people contacting known terrorists organizations, afraid the gov't might be listening to your phone calls – but it's ok to let the gov't have control of your bank accts, how much you can earn, all your healthcare information and condemn you if you speak up. Time to wake up people. This administration has shown it cannot be trusted.

August 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  28. Kate

As a former military medic and a nurse who has worked in Camden, NJ, I see a need for coverage and insurance regulations. A large number of my oncology patients were denied benefits when their cancer came back or a different form of cancer showed up later. Its sad.

I think that there is a lot of misinformation out there and whether it is from special interest group or people who are afraid of change, I just hope somehow this bill is broken up into bite size pieces and restated in a language and reading level that is understandable so that people have a better chance in making a decision based on fact. The average reading level is an 8th grade reading level.

August 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  29. Michael D. Monroe

I like to keep things as real as possible. If you look at the people at these so called shouting rallies, you will see that the majority of these people are white republicans with health care already. I always notice that CNN never ask minorities about the economy, health care or the automobile industry. Here's the short answer to why most minorities are not at these shouting rallies. We don't have health care, so any change to the health care industry is a welcome change. The economy didn't effect us because we were already in a recession before the so called new recession hit the rich world. We (the minority) didn't lose money on Wall Street because we don't invest on Wall Street because we don't have the money to do it. We don't care about the auto industry, because they don't care about us. So PLEASE, PLEASE come interview me, so I can let the world hear our side of things.

August 13, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  30. david

all the right wings are freaking out about obama’s plans, because they dont have as much control as in early years..This is the best thing thats happened to your country, we are progressing forward as society after 8 years of none.

August 13, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  31. Deborah Stewart

Citi Group is "acting STUPIDLY!"

August 13, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  32. rachelle

Where were all these Tea Party protesters when George W. Bush was running up the deficit? It seems to me that this is just sour grapes over the election.

August 13, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  33. Ana

why are these people so hot about the federal spending, but they were okay with Bush spending millions and putting us into this recession. Remember??? Obama has only been in office for 7 months. Stop listening to these Obama haters. If they are so against it, then ask your grandmother to stop using Medicare. All Americans deserve health care.

August 13, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  34. Rebecca

Just breath technique, Key to_ reform_ insurance, cut out formals controlling cost that are sinking the system. can not put cost on life

August 13, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  35. Claudia

Democrats need to ignore the radical minority and push forward with health care reform now that they got the numbers. If the republicans were the ones with the 60 votes they wouldn't care about bipartisan debate or public opinion.
    This country needs health care reform, and this is not the time to be intimidated by a couple hundred screaming individuals. I support the president.
    Get to it!!!!

August 13, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  36. Lisa

During the election season the republicans said we need health care reform but when it comes down to the nitty gritty they do nothing but get their base riled up and won't let the Dems talk at the town hall meetings? They seem to have no ideas on this issue and God forbid that the poor get medical care!!! Humm, isn't that elitest? And then there are the questions about the insurance companies... Who is getting paid the most in congress and the senate???

August 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  37. Melinda

August 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Ken Cain

There is a very simple solution to the healthcare debate. Give every american citzen the same health program including members of congress and the senate. No more and no less period. Who could complain. Tell Congress don't offer the rest of us any less than them because it is only their egoes that make them think they deserve more.

August 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Kim

Everybody is paying so much attention to the health care reform, other issues are being ignored. I, personally, am not in favor of this plan. But there are other things happening out there, Union busting is going in industries, gas prices are going up, pensions are still disappearing. Health care is oh so important....BUT not the only thing out there.

August 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Gilby-HI

There is no way to remove a Representative or Senator from Congress for makeing a mistake and causeing billions to be wasted on a non sence bill. They are not scientist or economist or even doctors. But they have created legislation that has caused the bad time we are going through now.
    This has made lots of poeple very angry.
    Example:
    The new electric car need enegry to chaged the battery. Guess where it come from... power plants... fuel oil
    They never think ahead and this will be the tune at the 2012 elections.

August 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  41. slushy

Anderson Cooper is number one!

August 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Ruby (Fuk Ying) Wong

Hi Anderson,

Although I like the format of your blog and everything else, I wonder why you changed from the air-time front -line appearance to the behind the scene coverage.

It is too bad that there is no AC360 tonight. Well, I hope that tomorrow I will watch your program at the regular time.

Bye.

Love,
    Ruby (Fuk Ying)

August 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Jim Carroll

MEDICARE HEALTH INSURANCE IS THE RIGHT
    MODEL FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE.

Let the Federal Government put all the people on Medicare, and let
    the insurance companies provide the supplement plan like they do for retires.
    We don’t need to put money down a rat hole by subsidizing insurance companies.
    Medicare did not socialize medicine. People still choose their own doctor. Private
    companies still run the hospitals. Private insurance companies sell the supplement
    insurance. This is Mixturism. Business and Government working together to provide
    health insurance for senior citizens. It is the right way to cover all people in America.
    WHY DOES THE NEWS MEDIA ALWAYS ASK THE SAME QUESTION: IS THERE MONEY AVAILABLE INSTEAD OF ASKING: ARE THERE
    PEOPLE RESOURCES AND NATURAL RESOURCES AVAILABLE? MONEY CAN EASILY BE CREATED, ARTICLE 1, SECTION 8, OF
    THE CONSTITUTION.

August 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Jim Carroll

USA TODAY HEADLINE AUGUST 11, 09
    SHOWS THE IGNORANCE OF THE PRESIDENT, CONGRESS
    AND THE NEWS MEDIA. Money is the medium of exchange for goods and services. Money should be tied to the value of goods and services, and not to some gold standard mentality or a national debt. The national debt is a myth. We do not need to borrow money from anyone. Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution gives the Federal Government the power to create money. Money is nothing more than numbers on a computer chip. The question that The President, Congress and the News Media need to ask: are there people and natural resources available to create goods and services? The answer is Yes. Money should be created to put all the unemployed back to work. The national debt is stupid. The President, Congress and the News Media are acting stupidly!

August 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Ken

The Democrats could pass this bill now under "Reconciliation" I don't understand why they are dragging their feet. Maybe they really don't want to get this done for America ?

August 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Bob Dawson

Would appreciate CNN creating a website or show that answered the basic macro questions many of us want to know:

1) What specific problem(s) are the various health care proposals trying to fix?

2) What are the costs of these various proposals?

3) Who will pay the cost for each of these programs?

4) What measurements will allow us to know that the programs have fixed the problem(s) and how much time is required to know that?

Thank you.

August 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Annie Kate

What kind of majority does this bill need to pass? A simple majority? A 2/3rds majority? Seems like with the current setup of Congress they would have the votes to pass this – or is it they are afraid to because of the feared backlash at the election box this fall? Seems like everything comes down to politics – its unfortunate that even something as basic and needed as health care are impeded by the political machine in DC.

August 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Steve in Central Cali

I dont understand it, Americans go to Canada and Mexico to buy meds cheaper, the poor and the uninsured go to the emergency room for causal care, and my taxes dollars pay for it. I go to my doctor for a head cold, vitals, and a tongue depresser, and out the door in 10 mins with a prescription. My Dr. bills my insurance $115. Give me a break, reform is what we need, There is nothing etched in stone yet. But we are our own worst enemy, and its not Obama's fault....and its sad to see that this issue is more important than getting our warriors out of Iraq, and the 4000 that have lost their lives in the fight to keep your ablitiy to have Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, and the right to speak out.....Change wont kill, go ahead and let the medicine and the insurance companies rob you of not only your money but your sense for change. We have people now that get denied treatment and services and they are insured. People wake up. Tell me who is getting paid to lobby against reform.

August 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Carlos

I wonder if supporters of the Tea Party Express have been "helped" by the auto bail out (directly or indirectly) or the cars for cash incentive (notice that Ford sales are up – nothing to do with the environment). I am sure many of these folks are SUV driving Americans. How is this any different from healthcare reform? It is all a form of socialism/welfare.

I don't qualify for the car incentive because my "old" car is not a gas guzzler. I am being penalized for having acted responsibly. At least healthcare reform is more equitable.

You can't pick and choose your values.

August 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  50. Ken

Why if the Democrats have the majority in the House, Senate (filibuster proof majority there) and the White House, can't they get this Health Care Reform passed ( With the Public Option) for the American people ? Are they that dysfunctional ? The Republicans are not needed for this Historic Legislation to pass. If the Democrats fail to get this done with that kind of majority and and allow the Republicans and Insurance companies to water down the bill, they will have let millions of Americans down and will lose support for their cause. After fighting for 60 years to get this done for America you would think this would be a rallying cry for the Democrats. America is depending on them to get this done. What is the hold up ?

August 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |