August 11th, 2009

White House launches health care reform site

[cnn-photo-caption image="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/08/11/art.whitehouse.healthcare.jpg" caption="The White House is taking the fight for health care reform online."]
AC360º

Citing what it calls "a troubling trend" of "wild rumors and scare tactics," the White House Monday announced the launch of http://www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck/, a new Web page that "focuses on what reform really means for you and your family" and "debunks some common myths along the way." White House New Media Director Macon Phillips wrote on the official White House blog.

Visit the Web page here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck/

Filed under: Health Care • President Barack Obama
  1. Antonio from Washington D.C.

I hope that these situations involving health care will be handled maturely and responsibly.

August 11, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  2. David

Today senator Spector Answered a question about the goverment going into your bank account. Don't they have that Right Already? Some insurance Companies(Property & Casualty)will issue you insurance based on your Credit score WHAT IS THE FUSS ABOUT? It's already being done. So If they can do that for home and car insurance what's the difference. Most people dont know that the higher the credit score the better the rate. (So What About Health Insurance?

August 11, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  3. M.W. Johnson

~I think it's very interesting that most people that are against the government being involved in health care have their own insurance? What if you had no insurance? What if your lost your job and had no health care? Only the wealthy can get sick? Other countries do this...maybe we just need to figure out a way to do it better than everyone else....that is the american way!

August 11, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  4. Jim Vance from Houston

The health reform advocates may moderate their plans if they follow my suggestion previously commented. My discovery of a 5:1 ratio of the price for hospital care should be taken seriously as I have proof. I saved those bills I received.

The government shouldn't really go into the insurance business but, instead, should provide oversight that protects it's citizens. The Government should realize it works for us, not the other way around.

Thanks......

August 11, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  5. Jo Ann C

Dear Joe:
    Obama made the point today that the cafeteria style selection of medical plans that are available to Sen. Dodd and the rest of the legislature is one of the options that are being proposed, in addition to a public option. Therefore, you could potential have the same kind of care offered to Dodd, IF you wanted to change from the insurance you have now.
    I really like the potential of lowering future costs by preventative care and treating symptions early before expensive emergency room care or surgery is required.
    I also think it is important to provide incentives for training more general practitioner/primary care doctors and nurses, & to compensate them better for preventative treatments.
    By the way, I hope you don't lose your job (and your health insurance) and that insurance companies never deny YOU needed coverage or ration care. Oh yes, & I read the bill!

August 11, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  6. Jim Vance from Houston

Back in 1993, I had major open heart surgery billed at $65,000. All but $700 was covered by my HMO. I accidently received a second bill for the same hospital stay for $11,100 a few days later. I called the billing office at the hospital and inquired and was told it was a mistake and that bill was intended for the insurance company. I found out with additional inquiry this was their negotiated cost for my surgery.
    If that is the trend, then Hospitals and clinics should be required, by law, to charge individuals the same price. Then healthcare would not be a complete tragedy for those living on a lesser income. $11,100 might be more affordable for poor folks, but $65,000 was impossible for most middle class persons back ib '93. This might be a solution. Check it out!

August 11, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  7. David

These "town hall meetings" are giving me flashbacks to the McCain/Palin rallies and are equally embarassing. On Election night, We The People mandated Health Care Reform. Check the polls from that night. Obama is honoring that mandate. Let us debate certainly, hear both sides absolutely, but cease the implication that something is being done to us without our participation.

August 11, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  8. Brennis

Wonderful...

hey Anderson, great job making the facts available to the public with this link on your page...thsi is needed so much...

I hope people take the time to think about something. The federal government already has a national health insurance it's called medicaid for the poor and and medicare for the old and poor. When the recession hit and people lost their jobs how many filed for medicaid coverage along with unemployment. How many spent a hefty percentage of their unemployment on COBRA benefits. How long oculd they afford to do that? It's a vicious cycle and I'm sorry that more people aren't seeing it that way.

Healthcare reform is good. It's great and honestly as I sain in other blogs....it will benefit the young generation. Those that are working in fast food trying to put themselves through college and have young cjhildren, those that work for employers who, more and more these days, are shifting the premiums to the worker.

This plan may not benefit you OLD people but for me (I'm 26) and my six year old daughter it's a beautiful thing to have. And I'm happy that somebody is thinking about the future and future generations by creating something real BENEFICIAL.

So, so what if you're not around to get it, and so what if all of us AMERICANS have to pay for it. ALL of you should sleep better knowing that your children will have a better future.

August 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  9. M.W. Johnson

~I don't think that people mind paying for their own health care...it just has to be affordable. No more 25.00 asprin tablets...

August 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  10. Fed Up

We should be SCARED! They are destroying quality healthcare and it will be a matter of life and death for many people if this plan passes. Ever been to the DMV, Post office? You really think government can take care of your health?

August 11, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  11. Carole salemi

How can the general public continue to shout and carry on regarding the new healthcare reform bill when so few of us have read the entire over 1000 page bill? We might all be better informed if we each had a copy.

August 11, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  12. TJ

Anyone catch the LIE Obama told at his "Town Hall" meeting? In front of his hand picked crowd he said the AARP endorses this health reform bill. Really? The spokesperson for the AARP was just on tv last night and said that they did not endorse it. How can anyone believe anything Obama says? ? ?

August 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  13. Melissa

Government officials DO NOT have the ability to deny you service and you don't get permission in Canada. The doctors decide your treatment.

So saying this idiotic crap comes from how other countries do it is a total lie.

And frankly, nothing I've seen in the current gvt proposal for health care promoting says that the gvt gets to choose who gets treatment. Stop believing the Republican lies.

August 11, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  14. David

Hi
    I'm watching the town hall meeting in N.H, and a women asked a question that i think the president did'nt understand. Under many healthcare coverages if something happens to the Husband and he is covered under a company owned plan (retirement) the companies drops the insurance and the wife will have to pick up the private insurance, at an additional cost ,Medicaid could be improved in the new bill, but her out of pocket cost will increase. Although some insurance plans are carried over to the wife.It would depend on the option selected at retirement.

Dave

August 11, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  15. Fleming

I'm happy to say that here in Canada EVERYONE gets the same quality of treatment. Some may say the quality of care is shoddy (compared to expensive-premium care), However, the other day CNN stated that Cuba and Canada are at top of having the least infant mortality rate despite this "shoddy" care. So it can't be all that bad.

With universal health care EVERYONE gets care. That's one less stress about life we don't – shouldn't – have to worry about.

Best of all... it is reassuring to know that my tax dollars that go towards paying for the universal health care, isn't going to greedy executives of insurance & pharmaceutical companies (that still have the power to decline (quality) care), but is being used to provide health care to someone less fortunate than myself.

Only the spoiled & greedy privileged Americans don't want reform because they don't care about their fellow Americans, which is a shame. These are probably the same group that go about suing health-care providers/practitioners and prefer to pay for war expenses and the destruction of life.

Now is the time to watch "sicko" (again) and place yourself or loved one, in the worst case scenario.

Good luck America.

August 11, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  16. Theresa

One of the major reasons healthcare costs are so high is the litigous society we live in. We don't need healthcare reform we need tort reform. We have the best healthcare in the world. The government has it hand in medicare, medicaid and social security and we have seen how they have failed with those programs. They will fail at healthcare. Medicare and Medicaid programs are riddled with fraud. Let's give the government the opportunity to clean up their existing programs before we hand over more to them. The entitlement programs are killing our economy. The working class can not sustain entitlement programs. As I tell my kids, clean up the spilled milk before you pour another glass.

August 11, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  17. Anthony Bowers

What I am seeing during these town hall meetings is a group of
    insured retired or almost retired workers worried about there health care.

I have paid for my health care for 25 years and watched my premiums
    go up every year and then coverage get trimmed down. This industry
    is powerful and will stop at nothing to stop this reform. My premiums on
    me and my family is as much as a mort payment. But I cannot afford to
    drop it.

August 11, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  18. John Coley

Dear Anderson,
    My paycheck has a deduction for Medicare. Since I am under 65, it seems to me there already is a tax-payer subsidised health system in this country. If we were were to strictly interpret the Constitution and treat every citizen equally, then shouln't I also be eligible for a tax supported health care policy?
    John Coley
    P.S. If you have a HMO Plan, a health care bureaucrat is deciding what care you are eligible for, not you or your doctor.

August 11, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  19. Wendy

I dont understand what people are afraid of. They say some government official will make health decisions instead of their doctor. My insurance company has been making my health decisions for years. And making a huge profit along the way.

Last year I broke my clavicle in Australia. Two office calls, an x-ray, and prescription pain killer were under $200. How can the exact same x-ray cost $51 in AU and $283 here? The care in AU was excellent and they even rounded the office call cost down five bucks as neither they nor I had exact change.

August 11, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  20. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. Much appreciated!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

August 11, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  21. Barbara Milton

Dear Joe, "Mr. Dodd has opted for private doctors in the best hospitals." And why can't we all be rich and famous? Those who have money already get the best. There will be no change there.

Melissa, I agree, I'm afraid it will be preaching to the choir. One sees what one is looking for.

August 11, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  22. Susan

@ Carole

Let us look at your example of an office visit being billed at $100.00. The doctor can bill for $100.00, but that is not what he gets reimbursed from ANY private insurance, Medicare or Medicaid. All have what they call a fee schedule, which determines what the doctor gets paid. That office visit of $100.00 may be reimbursed at $45.00.

Health insurance companies are the drivers and the doctors are the passengers on this healthcare train.

This is why the healthcare insurance companies should not be able to write healthcare reform bills. The patient and the doctors will be the
    be the losers.

August 11, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  23. kalvin king

Get public option passed already that's a main reason why obama was voted in we got to get that bill passed and stop wit all the protest tryin to stop it but them same folks voted for mccain had to have because universal health care was a obmama campaign promise.

August 11, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  24. Miss nancy

My favorite doc gave up practice and went to Emergency Room for reasons like: spending hours on the phone keeping a patient from suicide; then insurance wouldn't approve any payment. I say Dr.s are forced to charge more for what insurance WILL cover.

August 11, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  25. Luis Angel

Dear CNN, I believe that most if not all of the people against this health bills are Republicans, And being a republican is equal with HELL NO! to anything that helps anybody but another republican. Why can't they see that Prevention is the best medicine, If I can go to a doctor and early on and he finds a lump and takes care of that lump, It may not only save my life but it saves a lot of money in the long term care. This goes also for taking care of the illegal people living here. They get hurt and sick too. And will get treatment and care in the emergency room if you like it or not, Let's keep all people healthily. Everybody should be able to go see a Doctor,Dentist and whatever when feeling sick. Why just the lucky and rich? Stop yelling and start thinking. The saddest think about Republicans is that they all go to church! All I know is that Christ wouldn't believe in your Republican ways.

August 11, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  26. Shannon

Carole, I don't agree with the doctor's costs but I think they've gotten so high to cover the costs of insurance. The problems with the health care system are the health insurance companies, malpractice insurance, and all of the illegal immigrants American's are having to pay for to be seen since we have a 'don't turn anyone away' clause.

August 11, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Melissa, have you checked out the site? I did, and it's full of the same sound bites that we get live. It totally ignores many questions, like whether illegal immigrants be covered or not. I'm sure they will, but you won't get the White Houste to admit it. The FAQ on how we pay for it regurgitates the same story that the GAO debunked weeks ago. This has nothing to do with hate; it's about facts. We aren't getting them, and I for one demand them.

August 11, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  28. Gilby-HI

OK, if it is so important to have all our medical records on the internet than lets start with the medical records of former president Clinton !!

August 11, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  29. Michael Lewis

I don't understand why no one is pointing out that all of us veterans are covered by the VA health care system, and members of all the military branches are covered by Tri-Care which is funded by Medicare. Active and retired military members and their families pay about $500.00 a year for full health care coverage, and since the Iraq War that coverage has been extended to National Guard and reserve units and their families. That my friends IS socialized medicine plan and simple. What I'm saying is this, millions of us are covered by this form of socialized medical care, but the average citizen is not entitled to the same type of coverage. I don't get it, and I don't have a dog in this fight, because my health care is free thank you to the government. Oh, I also have Blue Cross/Blue Shield as a retired government employee which I pay $154.00 a month for. Very affordable, so like I said, I just don't get it, but then I don't think the avergae American has knowledge of all this?

August 11, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  30. Anello

Ok all of you Americans need to get one thing straight. Health care isn't free but at the same time it shouldn't cost hard working families a home when a family member gets ill.
    There is an easy fix to your health care system. Everyone needs to pay for it !!!! They pay through raising taxes, there I said it. It is paid through a progressive tax system based on what you earn. the percentage goes up as the income brackets do.
    We here in Canada have been running social run health care since the shortly after WWII.
    Canada is projected to reach $160 billion, or 10.6% of GDP, in 2007. This is slightly above the average for OECD countries, and substantially below the 15.2% of GDP taken by up healthcare in the United States.
    We never have to fear about going bankrupt if we get sick. Our standard of living is second to none and I hope it never changes!!!!!!!!

August 11, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  31. Carole salemi

There has been a lot said regarding health care reform but I hear very little about the role doctors will play in this reform program. They over charge for their services, over book their patients in order to make more money. Is their expertise really worth what they charge? Office visit are a prime example. A routine visit costs over $100! I understand their educations were expensive but they paid for it 10 times over. Yes they save lives but they are not God & loose patients too. That's why they call it the practice of medicine. When will doctors adjust their fees so that the government doesn't have to get so involved? Carole Salemi Las Vegas NV

August 11, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  32. Melissa

Good. Its been needed. Too bad the Republicans won't care and totally ignore it so they can spew more of their hate.

August 11, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  33. joe

This administration is by far the best at propaganda I think I will ever see in my lifetime. I would like to see Dodd give up his superior health care coverage and utilize the program the Government is proposing is good enough for the rest of us – then maybe it would be more believable that it is a sound idea – but Mr. Dodd has opted for private doctors in the best hospitals. Why can't that be good enough for us as well?

August 11, 2009 at 11:17 am |