August 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/11/09

Pres. Obama attended a town hall meeting on health care today in New Hampshire. The White House said nothing was off limits? Did the crowd approve of his message. We'll show you the video. Plus, investigators raiding a pharmacy used by Dr. Conrad Murray, who was with Michael Jackson the day he died. We'll have the latest on the search.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel • Brazil

@ Erica

Good Evening! I was wondering: where EH in the liveblog?
    Are we orphans?

August 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Kathy, Andover

In the Michael Jackson case, I bet law enforcement is trying to match the idenitifying numbers on the Propofol vials to the pharmacy record, tying Dr Murphy directly to the Propofol. It will be interesting to hear the autopsy results, combined with the evidence law enforcement adds to the case.

August 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. John

I certainly hope that a by-product of Jackson's death will be a renewed and vigorous notice of the extent that prescription drugs are abused in this country.

August 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Josh Burnett

I dont think anyone should be held responsible for Michael J's death. Does anyone hold anyone else responsible for other drug overdose's? I think since it was Michael Jackson, that puts more pressure on "who did it". It was MJ that wanted it, so blame him. Not someone else. Another one of America's problems...we are too quick to point our fingers at others.

August 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Mimi

Unfortunately, the focus for most of the the people in the town hall meetings seem to be to be getting shouting out bad information rather than finding out what is exactly in the bill....

August 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

They missed Ted Kennedy as the only living sibling ,He should have condolences for him and family .

August 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. ericacnn

@Jacqueline – not anytime soon!

August 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. tommy

what's being said about the missing video tape in michael jackson ho me ? and what about the money and jewelry missing , coudn;t this be motive for his doctor ?

August 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Hello Erica! Hope you had a great day yourself! 🙂

August 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. griag

Rest in peace Eunice Kennedy Shriver, thanks for everything you've done to make this world a better place

August 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The idea of the doctor giving MJ the drugs outside of hospital is only beacuse of his celebtrity it's money and he used it against MJ .

August 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Jacqueline

when will the michael jackson end YAWN

August 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  13. ericacnn

tuesday, tuesday... hope you all had a good day

August 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Cynthia, NC

The hole for Dr. Murray keeps getting deeper and deeper with each news report. I don't see how he will come out of the MJ case without facing some kind of charge or charges.

August 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Miriam

You are, of course, correct. We (family & friends) send condolences to Ted Kennedy & entire family.

My brother has Down's Syndrome and he participates in Special Olympics. He is physically fit, proud of himself (he has won a number of medals – many Gold) and me and my family can't thank Eunice Shriver enough for what she has done for all of these children!

August 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Charlotte Karam

During a recent serious illness I had, I caught my internist collecting a commission on a catscan she ordered for this. I truly believe there is a lot of that occurring and this TOO is unfairly raising our costs. No one ever mentions that in their arguments.

August 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

People are misiinformed on the healthcare they need to educate themselves .There are many things blurred between the lines.

August 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Josh Burnett

I think my earlier post was a little long. My point was that insurance companies and the cost of insurance should be the point of focus here. Not ALL of healthcare aspects. If medical insurance was so expensive, maybe more people could afford it. Thus, allowing more people access to healthcare.

August 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

It sounds like they are waiting to announce the results of the autopsy so they can simultaneously make arrests. They won't do this until they have pulled everything together to make their case.

August 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

When are they gonna tell the results from MJ's authopsy??

August 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Anthonia-California

But i dont really consider what Dr. Murray did manslaughter...Michael wanted the drugs...he was in pain..

August 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello John ,Erica
    I hope Anderson is well i miss him on 360 Nice to see you again John .

Great news on Jennifer Hudson she's been through so much .

August 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. michael armstrong sr.

Michael Jackson should be looked at as asistent suicide.

August 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Miriam

Why is Eunice Shriver only being identified as President John Kennedy's sister. She is also Ted Kennedy's sister and he is alive. Shouldn't condolences be spoken on his behalf?

August 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Cory (Canada)

I think Americans need to educate themselves and discover how universal healthcare works in other countries like Canada, UK, France, etc.. You need to start thinking for yourselves and not be influenced by lobbyists and insurance companies you are the ones that run healthcare in the US now.

August 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Andre, Lauderhill, Florida

Hey adam, your right about people not getitng by when they get hit with a $1500 hospital bill when they just have a cough (that happened to me lat week). I am currently unemployed and I have to find that money. When i do get another job I will be paying my taxes with a smiling face.

August 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. nancy

Sadly, when someone flatly says they do not believe anything that our President says, your conversation is over. What is needed is an honest open conversation about what is going to be required to stop the skyrocketing cost of healthcare. Stay home if you don't know how to participate!

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Anthonia-California

Ohmy thats sad, i didnt know the Costa Rican had the swine flu!
    congrats to Jennifer Hudson!

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Adam E.

President Obama need to hold an Address to the Nation, and explain the HealthCare Reform. I personally feel that people are confused and misinformed about this bill and personally so am I.

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Carol

This is America. Totalitarian and Socialism that will never be. Private, and Government run health care can exist. Give it a chance.

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank you Tom Foreman!

As one blogger alreadh mention,ed abuse of the ER's across this nation is costing Millions!

Drs. often do NOT know the cost of meds and don't know if there are generic drugs that would be much, much cheaper.

Yes, and taking care of your body early can prevent multiple problems later.

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Glenard Hodges

This is democracy at its best, those screamers are showing their true selves and just saying words that I think they don't believe themselves.

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. LorenaR

another Kennedy dead. what a great family it has been. remember when they were called the closest thing we have to royalty. aren't there a lot of younger Kennedys in public service (despite some problems)??

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Karen (Lincoln NE)

No one is taking away medicare!!!!!! That is never even an issue!!!! And if we FIX the fact that we are bleeding out BILLIONS of the GDP to the uninsured and various other health industry issues, it will BALANCE out the medicare budget!

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Isabel • Brazil

Here in Brazil the classes are suspended because of the swine flu.

August 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Ludvig

As one of the richest countries in the world, the USA can help, assist and educate its citizens with health care.

August 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Carrie

Watching these people fight over something as important as health care is so disturbing. I keep hearing people say "Socialism" . Guess I'm going to use the socialized sidewalk to go to the socialized park & then on to the socialized library. Don't forget the socialized garbage pickup and the socialized school system, and socialized police services, and socialized fire services, and ....... Come on people.

People please.

August 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Gail in SC

We already pay for everyone's health care. Anyone that goes to an ER is taken care of regardless of ability to pay. Where is that cost absorbed. By people that have insurance already. Also the elderly that get out there and say they want no govt healthcare yet get Medicare which is govt. healthcare just floors me. I wish the Congress people would just point out how dumb it is for them to say this.

August 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Isabel • Brazil

She came to earth and made a difference. She changed the world view in relation to special people. She did the world get better!

Eunice Kennedy Shriver, rest in peace!

August 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Dianna

Why does it have to be about "politics"? My family is paying $2,000 a month premiums, copays, medications!! Dental is another $150 a month! We have had to refinance our home several time to make up for costs as we have our own family business!! Just find a way to make it affordable!

August 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Tim

It is so bad that this President can not do his job, you all will not let him work. But when Bush was there nothing was said he spent money and nothing was said, we need a health care plan i don`t have health care at all my job don`t offer it so what do i do, i have had two stroke need health care very bad. everything he want to do the people say no.

August 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Karen (Lincoln NE)

I'm so frustrated by people. For God's sake, if we don't do anything you won't HAVE your current health insurance. Then let's see how they whine that the government "din't do nuthin' " to help them. ARRRRRGH!

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Andre, Lauderhill, Florida

I'm happy to pay my portion for healthcare. I will happily pay that extra .35 cents in taxes or whatever more I have to, in order to get a modernized healthcare system. Hybrid is working in France and I think it should be considered here in the states

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Robert

People arent reading all of the diffrent bills. Wait up and smell the coffee. Poeple that have insurnace dont want change.

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Rodney

Amazing to see so many Americans rearrange the constitution to benefit them. What about the voices of the 46 million without healthcare. What role does the media play in spinning the negative images of healthcare reform?

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Letitia

I find it interesting that many conservatives and ideologues on the right talk about how much they "love" this country but in the same breath have such antipathy against its government and the country's most vulnerable...the poor and uninsured.

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. June Poss

I am 73yesrs old I have Medicar and Blue\Cross Am I going to get this taken away from me A pay 228.00 a month for this bluecross I am on a fixed income thank you invanced I all so pay medicare
    each month I am disable

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Fred

Will somebody PLEASE draw a clear distinction between "Healthcare Reform" and "Health INSURANCE Reform?" Everyone (including the president) uses these terms interchangeably, and I'm certain that they do not mean the same thing. This is a good question for Dr. Gupta. Thanks.

August 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Kate in Sw Fla

I noticed that the majority of these "opponents" of health care reform are retiees, who have Medicare. Paid for by the payroll taxes of millions of people who, themselves, DO NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE. When did this generation became so selfish? They have the biggest entitlement mentality that I have ever witnessed. They have morphed into the "welfare" loafers they say they hate.

August 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Joy

I have no problem with real dissent and diverse opinions. But these scare tactics from the fringe are way over the top. I just spoke with my 85 year old father who seriously believes that a death panel will be implemented. That's a disgrace, scaring our senior citizens.

August 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |