August 10th, 2009
  1. Noel Starkey

There are many aspects to the health care debate in America today. The things I look at are devided into three parts.
    First, Is this really reform? Or is it the start of a radically new approach to health care in America. I myself think it is more of the latter than the former. Is it needed? I don't think it is. We need actual "REFORM" which means we need to address a few flawed parts of our current system and not replace it with another.
    Second is the new plan, 5 versions floating now, both responsive to the wishes of patients? Can we the people afford it? Can we actually trust the government to run it well? I myself see no to each of these three questions.
    The third question, and this is in some ways an even deaper and more troubling one is how elected officials, public servents, view the public and how we view them. I for one see their view of the citizens of this country who dare fine fault with their plans to be contemptous. They see us as a mob, rabid fringe extreamests. The press see us as people who just don't know what is good for ourselves. Yes I am sure that their is some orginized protests. I myself don't join orginations but some times they can help and people don't join if they disargee. After our President was a " Coumnity Orginizer". They are also a centeral tool of liberal causes. Would you deny to some of us what you promote in others?
    Step back, and you just might realize that the anger, doubt and concern is real and not "manufactured."

August 10, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  2. Alison

I bet there are a lot of people supporting health care reform who are intelligent people and are not nazis.

August 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  3. RLWellman

Who ever is for this proposed Health Care Reform is not only stupid, but a Nazi also. We do not need a system that is ran by the Government. If you want this, go to Canada, England, or Germany.

President Obama sends his goons (S.I.E.U. union members) around the country to intimidate American citizens. Whose paying for these people to go all over the country? Taxpayers?

Does the President think this is Germany and he is the Dictator? He can't stand to have any one say no to him. He had better come up with a better plan, because people are not going to swallow the lies about this one!

August 10, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  4. Rick Dessau

With all the debate over health care and some of the provisions included, no one and I mean no one has bothered to address why funding for this health Care sham has provisions for illegal immigrants? This is the same fast track tactic that was used to take Social Security funds and give to illegal’s that I and my wife's hard work work of over 40 years put in to that system. Now, a plan paid for by American citizens, and give that away as well. This needs to be brought to the fore front. How about it? I'd like to see the wiggle on this one. Let's face it. First, Congress gives Social Security funds to illegal’s and we let them do it. Shame on us. Now we're on the brink of letting them provide free health care at our expense. You know what's next? Amnesty........... Yep, that's right. Why, because that's what I’d do if my constituents were upset with me...... It boils down to votes. Provide all these benefits to people who shouldn't be here in the first place, then make it legal for them to stay, and when election time comes, say to them, hey, look what I did for you. Free money, free health care, didn't deport you, how about your vote so I can stay in office and provide more free benefits to you. This needs to make the front page or at least the part about including illegal immigrants in the health care bill.

Here's another issue I have and it's a big one. Why does this proposed coverage have a provision for abortion? I know many folks that are democrats that supported this bill. Once they found out about this provision they quickly changed their tune. As one said, " I didn't know about this, no one ever mentioned that, forget that idea". I'm not Catholic, but I am pro-life. These folks in Washington are for the most part some of the most contemptuous people I have ever seen or heard. I get the uneasy feeling they've already told us since we don't have any bread, we should eat cake.

August 10, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  5. Philippe

How can we expect our elected official to care about the people when they are acepting so called campaing contribution from the health Care and other industries. Money talks BS walks. You must be a fool to believe that their vote on any bill wasn't influence by the mighty $

August 10, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  6. Brad

Frank, there are pictures. Google is easy.

August 10, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  7. Andre

Yes there is proof but they had them in reference to the President being like Hitler, which is even worst to me!!!

August 10, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  8. Darrell in Iowa

Americans need to care about health care reform. One's life can change from healthy and financially secure to sick and broke before you even know it.

Fifteen years ago I was the epitome of wellness and physical fitness. Every weekend I ran a triathlon or marathon and worked out three times a day. I was a successful professional with a six figure income.

Then the unexpected happened. While running a marathon at 43 years of age a congenital heart defect that I had been assured was insignificant ruptured. Only successful open heart surgery saved my life. Yet later I would discover that an embolism during surgery would lead to a severe seizure disorder resulting in as many as 20 seizures a day.

Post surgical depression led to alcohol and substance abuse.

Just as medications were beginning to control the seizures I received my HIV diagnosis. Within six months of that and totally unrelated cancer was found in my colon.

Until recently I have had what would be considered by most people as a Cadillac health insurance policy, but even that was insufficient to keep me financially afloat. At 45 years of age I was forced to take disability and live on a drastically reduced income.

Medical bills unpaid by insurance rapidly devoured my savings. Finally forced into bankruptcy I found myself learning to survive disability check to next check.

Fifteen years ago I had never had a major hospitalization, had a perfect credit rating, owned real estate, owned two brand new cars and had cash in the bank.

In the years since I estimate my total medical bills at approximately $1.5 million and continue to average about $100,000 a years for medications and treatment. While insurance covered most of that I continue to spend between a third and half of my monthly income on my health care.

I drive a car with over 200,000 miles now. My credit is so bad I can't even get a loan for a new used car.

I never would have that my life would have ended up like this. It can happen to any of us.

August 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  9. Laurie Shields

I have family in Canada and they believe strongly that their pre mature baby would have died if born in the US and would have cost them a million plus. Insurance puts a price tag on human life. They decide what doctor to use and what kind of care you get. I have my own business and pay for my health care (HMO). I am healthy but fear the day I get sick and worry that my insurance will drop me or have to pay hundreds more for my premium. I do not feel as if I have any protection from the government and do not understand these people protecting the insurance companies as if they are friends. Like wall street this is a greed based system. Privatize profits and socialize losses.

August 10, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  10. Frank Corrado

Has anyone produced any proof that health care protesters were carrying Swastika's as Nancy Pelosi claimed? Why aren't we calling out the Demagoguery of this administration?

August 10, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  11. Valdene

All of you spouting that you don't want health care like the UK or Canada might have eaten an extra bowl of stupid this morning. Have any of you even researched the type of health care that is provided? The good and bad, what needs to be improved and how you can maybe make a better system. No, I suspect it's because that would mean the insurance companies would no longer have a monopoly and that's a lot of money to let slip away just to cover some poor people. I bet most of you have never spoken to a Canadian or a UK citizen about what they like and don't like about their system (the poor excuse for media included). Instead a bunch of people scream at meetings to leave their health care alone, and given the state of your economy, in a few months if they find themselves out of work they will no longer have any health insurance. I respect Americans for telling it like it is. Maybe the protesters should say sucks to be you if you don't have health insurance but I do, so personally I don't care. That would at least be honest. Obama should pull a Sara Palin and say screw it, have your crap health care. When more of you are sucking air to pay for it then we'll revisit the issue. Now you might be wondering why Canadians would care. Well we don't, we're just a little annoyed that it seems to be implied by some of the pundits that we're too stupid to notice that we have bad health care. That’s far from the truth. Our system, imperfect as it is, would not be traded for your make as much profit as you can at the expense of what should be a basic human right, health care for all your citizens.

August 10, 2009 at 12:39 pm |