August 10th, 2009

Video: Health care reform options

Erica Hill and Ali Velshi
AC360º

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Erica Hill • Health Care • Raw Politics
  1. lampe

Judith: Exactly how do you think this Reform bill is going to be paid for? Our kids are already going to pay for The Stimulus bill, and anything else that might come along. These kids better way the pros and cons of this, before they decide on what it is their going to be paying for later in life.

August 10, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  2. RLWellman

We need a system that isn't ran by the Government. If not, we will end up with another system like Medicaid, Medicare that has so much fraud in it, but the Government won't do any thing about it.

The Government thinks it's okay to lose 10-12% in any project. Let's take the 2nd stimulis plan. 787 billion dollars. 10% is 78 billion dollars. The Government thinks it's okay to lose 78 billion dollars.

My question. How much is 78 billion dollars divided by the 554 people who run the Government? That's a pretty sizeable nest egg for these people and it's an accepted lose amount.

August 10, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  3. judith kaiser

i am having the same experience as Shelly. The doctor had to see me and have TSH checked at a lab. It cost me $76 to get a prescription that costs me $7.50/month. The doctor did not have to check my TSH the year before but I insisted; foolish me. At my yearly exam last year I had TSH, Cholesterol, Glycemic index checked plus a pap smear. The price from the lab was $550. CIGNA (thank God for them) told them the price was too high and gave them $23 for the whole thing. When they pursued me for the money, threatening me, CIGNA called them and told them to back down and they did.
    I tell my doctor now, don't do anything, because i can't afford it.
    I support President Obama 100% not only because of what I am experiencing....but our kids will have to pay for this mess when we are 70, 80 and 90.....how much do the babyboomers think the system will stand before the whole government disappears from the tsunami of babyboomers. We need a strong government control during this period of disproportionate population use of medicare/social security/and medical insurance. If we don't take a strong control during this period, this thing is going to wipe out America.
    It is time to face down the right wing and put them in the margin...young people you need to take control here...this is serious.
    Mary

August 10, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  4. toni

We have been diligently following the health care reform as it is of PERSONAL INTEREST to us. My grandson is 4yrs old and his father has served 3 tours in Iraq. This month, he is scheduled to be shipped off once again to Iraq for the 4th tour. In the meantime, his little boy has NO MEDICAL INSURANCE, and has medical issues! My daughter was unable to get medical insurance on her job for him or herself because it was too expensive and would be unable to afford it and daycare! As a result, she has had to take the baby to Urgent Care and ER so as to get medical care for him and needed antibiotics and such. Thus a large accummulation of bills. For one whole year, she has tried to obtain medicaid for him only to be told today that she makes too much money! (With the cost of daycare taking one whole check), what is she to do? The health care plans out there are either out of her budget and the up front deductible is SO HIGH, or the doctors in her area won't accept these insurances. WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS?

August 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  5. Dave

I feel that we should be allowed the exact same healthcare that we pay for all of congress. Give them one month to figure out how to provide it, then suspend their healthcare until it happens. How can we as Americans implement this change? It isn't fair that we go on paying for their healthcare and they just keep debating it. We as voters and taxpayers should be more in charge of the way our money is spent. Why are we not voting for pay raises and benifets? We are the employer- we should be assessing the amount of a raise these people are getting and the benifets that they recieve. Until every American is insured for healthcare Congress should suspend their own pay and benifets. Let them go without like we have for so long. I would bet that they could then quickly figure out a way for every American to get the same coverage that we allow for Congress.

August 10, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  6. Shelley

I have heard doctors say to me, just pay me this much and I will sock it to your insurance company and then at the end of the year I will right off your debt to me. Or your doctor wants you on high blood pressure pills but will only give you a prescription for two months so that you have to go back and pay him more money again. Or how about the doctors that tell you you have to make an appointment to get your lab results. Did that doctor pay for my labs? I don't think so. or how about the fact that they charge you a totally different amount if you don't have insurance. When I asked why they said because of the paperwork they have to do. To turn it into my insurance they have to do the same paperwork that they put in my file anyway. I have paid the amount of $500. for an MRI paying cash and have paid $3000. for the same MRI because I told them I had insurance. What a bunch of bull.

August 10, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  7. Shelley

Healthcare is just a joke to me at this point. I have been trying for three months to change from Blue Cross Alaska to Blue Cross Arizona. Why? Because I am paying $600.00 a month for health care that does not pay for much of anything until my $1500.00 deductible is paid and it also does not pay for meds. I have just found out the I was turned down, and get this, I was turned down because my Cholesterol was to high. So, I guess I will continue to pay my $600. until I am out of money and then I will just go on welfare. Why not, there insurance is better then mine. My husband is on medicare but I have eight more years. Obama, I hope you get your health care plan for people like me.

August 10, 2009 at 11:44 am |