August 7th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/07/09

Several town hall meetings on health care reform are looking more like backyard brawls. Members of Congress are meeting with voters and facing verbal backlash. The question is: Is all this being staged? Plus, we wrap up our week-long look at the Manson murders. 40 years after the killings, see what life is like for Charles Manson behind bars.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

@Isabel, I agree people should be behaved and civil when they are fighting for their rights or advocating for what they believe in, especially as regards healthcare reform. I see plenty of drivers on cell phones distracted from driving, good way to make a mess in traffic.

So that guy didn't actually hit the pool?

That fish is huge, must be like a 20 lb bass or something.

Good night Isable, good night everyone, great weekend to everyone

August 7, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. gary tuchman

goodnight everybody. thanks for staying up with us!

August 7, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Sandra

The US cannot compete in a worldwide market when the cost of health care in this county is on the backs of industry, and other countries subsidize health care for their people. So...if you want to help the economy, you have to get competitive in a worldwide market. Why wouldn't they want to be like us? Because if you get sick, you not only lose your health care in this country, but you lose your job as well. It simply doesn't make sense to have health care tied to your job.

August 7, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Rodney

@ Gary T.
    When you visit these town halls please ask :

What is their plan?

Do they have a problem with and African-American president?

August 7, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Jacqueline, NY

@Erica, I always ask drivers who have my life and others in there hands to not talk on phone while driving. They usually do.

August 7, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Ligia

ohhh that fish is so fake...

August 7, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

NIce job Erica and Gary talking about proser and live is my favorite movie Star Trek!
    Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Gary Tuchman, Suvro and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Have a great weekend!
    See you on Monday night!
    Day of the shot with Daredevil goes down in the pool!!!! Nice shot!! I do love the shot everynight!

August 7, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Elaine

All you crazy people hollering and holding up progress at the town meetings for health care: imgine how you'll feel when your kids come home and tell you how embarassed they were to be called out in public because someone saw their parent acting like a wild animal on TV. When I look at you and imagine Ii know you, I feel embarrassed for you and would be ashamed to be seen with you. You're a disgrace.

August 7, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Dennis Jordan

The reality is that many of us americans are untrusting of politicians. So many of us are wanting our voice heard. So why not have a web site that allows for comments so that our elected officials can hear our voice. One of the problems is that we have a sense that our voice does not matter in Washington. So elected officials, get with the technology and allow us to express our thoughts and ideas.

Thanks David G for your participation in the Leadership Summit. Your dialogue was very helpful to me. We need to hear more from you.

August 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Tom

Great job all week Rica. I look foward to learning about this health plan from cnn

August 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Vova

TO Dave.I cut finger pretty much.After 6 hours.I left emergency room.It was too late put stitches. There are negative and positive everywhere.And why old people do not buy insurance on free market? I

August 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

Billy Mays did cocaine? That is so surprising to me

August 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Erica, Thanks, I tuned in a little late.

August 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Karen

Just read the bill..HR3200. It is online. Have fun, learn and see what questions you may have. Scared you might not understand it?

August 7, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Dulcie - Denver

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Thank you Erica, Gary Tuchman, Tom Foreman and David Gergen for the great coverage this week.

August 7, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Kathy Chicago

Erica and Gary, you did a great job this week! Have a great week-end. I will see William Shatner at Louisville, end of month. Foton torpedoes, Scotty!

August 7, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. jane MI

Gary re: visiting town halls next wk-
    It'll be interesting getting others perspectives in various areas across the country...Great show tonight Erica and this past wk – thou will have to catch the rest at the next hour.

August 7, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  18. ericacnn

@Jo Ann – Gary did speak to some protestors. Stay tuned for his piece at the top of the hour!

August 7, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Marilou

We will be lucky if there are anymore town hall meetings. Our representatives will hide behind their telephone meetings. I listened to one this last week and it was obvious that the questions were carefully selected. Also, the answers were vague and some were outright lies.All most Americans want is a chance to be heard. By the way, it won't be long and alot of you will be looking for Medicare when it isn't there if they don't fix that first!!!

August 7, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Isabel • Brazil

I love star trek!

August 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Elaine

RE: Manson..I am not believing these people who are coming on CNN to proclaim their "friendship" with any of the Manson family killers.

Are you hard up for a friend? Do you know what a friend is? Look up the word in the Webster's if you think these minds are worthy of friendship or have the ability to be a friend..they are self serving and evil in their ambitions. Have you forgotten...they killed (brutally) people. Just a change in time and place and it could have been one of your loved ones.

A friend is someone who you share philosophies with and who you would chose to spend your time with. I have to wonder what the motives are in these people who support these killers...like that movie director. I think he wants to make a movie ($$$$) and is trying to have the script end in a way thats profitable to him.

I'm not falling for the manipulative dialogue of the Manson family, or their wierdo friends, whether they're inside or outside the prison system!!

August 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Gary!

August 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Ligia

A whole week without Anderson... awwwwwwww.... Hope he is back next week. Erica is great, but I miss Anderson. Great show... Happy weekend everybody 🙂

August 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Isabel • Brazil

@ David, Indiana

Access to health care is a Necessity for everyone. How do we assure that?

I don't know how to achieve this. My country has serious problems of health too.

August 7, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Nancy in Oregon

I hope they would 'speak' Jo Ann...and not shout him down or call him names.

August 7, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Tom...Manson and his followers have had a good media week.

August 7, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@David Gergen, yes Erica has done a great job this week. Anderson better watch out for his job.

August 7, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, even murderers get better health benefits. It is a sad situation.

August 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Dulcie - Denver

Erica, I drove an airport shuttle van for a year and getting assignments via cell phone happened multiple times every day. Sometimes I used an earpiece, sometimes I didn't. We also had radios, but I actually found that more distracting than getting a cell call.

August 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Isabel • Brazil

@ Erica Hill

I think this is a matter of education and consciousness of people.

August 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Jim, Las Vegas

Just the facts please. Nothing but the facts......

August 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Gary, Maybe you could interview some of these "protesters" and ask them why they are so upset. Everyone knows that you are a fair journalist, I am sure that they would speak to you.

August 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

Charles Manson is happy being in prison....good, now we dont have to worry about him wanting to get out when his next parole hearing comes up. Also, what is with the young girl thinking that Manson is some great man?

August 7, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Kathy

Hey David Gergen...can you GUARANTEE us that a federally funded insurance will NOT run private insurance companies out of business?
    The Federal government will have the ability to so heavily regulate their competition that it will be impossible for private companies to stay in business.
    If CNN is going to explain the bill...include that information as well.

August 7, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Tom

NYC cabbies are Crazy but amazing drivers.

August 7, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Krasi

Well Gary, what does this say about the education of most people?

August 7, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Alice

People! There is NO BILL Yet. Why do you keep saying bill? This is what I mean. You do not know what you are angry about. Shut up and listen. Stop listening to TV talking points.

August 7, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

My problem, Rick, is that they don't seem to do their equal share of listening....just shouting and slinging names. How does that propel a solution forward?

August 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Jim

Manson gets fanmail?? What a sick world we live in.

August 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Krasi

I am sorry, but these people should never be released from prison. Sadly, though, they do receive better health care than I do.

August 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Ken (CA)

Debate is one thing..Expressing your opinion on a subject is a good thing..Yelling and shoving and generally disrupting a gathering that is supposed to be informative is inciting a riot!!

August 7, 2009 at 10:47 pm |