August 7th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Health care protests and life behind bars

A Tampa, Florida, health care reform meeting sparks noisy exchanges between attendees.

Suvro Banerji
AC360° Intern

Town hall discussions on health care reform are getting ugly across the nation. Members of Congress are confronted by angry and aggressive crowds as the topic comes up. Tonight, we will show you the raw videos: the shouts and the anger heating up. But are these grassroot protests or just astroturf or both? Gary Tuchman will have more.

Rick Scott, a multimillionaire and a key leader of the opposition to Obama’s health care reform push will join us live along with senior political analyst David Gergen. Also, Ali Velshi will give us the raw politics behind the public plan and why this idea is so unpopular. The figure associated with health care reform amounts to one trillion dollars. How are lawmakers going to pay for it?

Also tonight, we'll show a far riskier behavior on the road than drinking and driving. According to a new study, truck drivers, who text behind the wheel are 23-times more likely to get in a crash. Yesterday, Illinois became the 17th state to ban texting while driving. It is also illegal in the District of Columbia. Tom Foreman is keeping them honest with a demonstration that may surprise you. And yes, the magic wall will be back in action.

The final piece of our week-long special on the Manson murders airs tonight. We will show what life is like now for Charles Manson behind bars. Steve Kay, one of the prosecutors who tried the Manson killers will join us to share his insight on this infamous murderer. And you will also meet one woman who moved near his prison. You may be surprised when you hear the reason.

All these stories and much more tonight on 360° at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Health Care • The Buzz
  1. Belle

As a Democrat, as soon as the House bill was posted on the Government website, I downloaded it and took 3 days to read it.

My questions:
    Why will the government mandate all employers that self-insure? p 22
    Why will the government have direct access to my personal bank accounts? page 59.
    No one can sue the government for "PRICE FIXING" p 124.

The more I read the bill, the more the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and the more I understood this was NOT a bill about reform, but a bill about take over.

So what gives with no religious symbols being allowed in the Hospitals?

I am not a church goin' gal, but I hardly think a devout Catholic going to a Catholic Hospital will feel comforted without their crucifix on the wall...why is government getting their nose into that?

No offense, but after reading the bill, I decided I needed to vote incumbents out of office.

I was alarmed over the take over of banks, auto, insurance, and the bankruptcy process. I didn't like the amount of Czars being appointed, and the change Obama promised is not the change he is creating.

More transparency in government....broken promise
    No more lobbyists....broken promise
    No more pork....broken promise
    Bipartisanship....what a laugh...broken promise
    Fiscal Responsibility....broken promise.
    Line item veto....broken promise

So far, all I have heard from my fellow Democrats? Well Bush did it...

So what? If I wanted another Bush term, I would have urged for a Constitutional Admendment for letting him stay another term...I did not want Bush...I wanted the changes Obama promised.

Now...he is worse than just another politician, and this Democrat will not vote for his style of change. (Oh...does this qualify for one of those fishy email debates on health care?) Shame on you Mr. President.

August 9, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  2. Sharon

I believe that Hate Groups and the RNC are involved and there is need to block anything the President wishes to do because he is the first Black president.

August 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  3. Nancy

Watching "Meet the Press" this morning on healthcare issue with democrats denying that government run health insurance for certain services will be denied for select groups. No one believes this, when already small areas of retirees are being denied certain services and obvious to many people what will happen if government healthcare is passed. Come on government, let's be honest! Tired of hearing your lies... Get your policies straight and upfront to America! Americans are not as stupid as you must believe! SORRY, BUT SARAH PALIN IS RIGHT ON THIS ONE!

August 9, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  4. Judy Lynn Clark Ferguson

I have never seen such a bunch of white idiots in all of my 54 years on this earth. I bet not one of them Rush Limbaugh ignorants have read the 1,00018 or so page bill because their Congressional Leaders have not. The only bills they read are the thousands of dollar BILLS they receive from Big Business, Lobbyiest, Special Interest Groups, Etc., for campaign contributions. Congressional Leaders do not work for their Consituents they work for the above, they do not write the Laws, Big Business, Lobbyiest, Special Interest Groups, etc. write the laws. If your Congressional Leaders had done what they where elected to do this Country would not be in this 111 year mess. The only Problem I have with the President is that he should have keep his campaign promise to clean up Washington before he introduced the Healthcare Bill. First things First as long as Big Business , Lobbyiest, and Special Interest, etc. What we need is Campaign Finance Reform in order to sterilize the Congressional Halls of Congress in order to keep all 100 Senators, and 435 Representative Country Culb members honest..

August 9, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  5. Suzy

When Arlen Specter gave his meeting, he couldn't give answers because everything was still in the works, the bill is over 1000 pages, so he has to divide it with his staff to read, they have to make very quick decisions. That was when the people yelled, NO. Senator Specter instead of making excuses for why you don't know what's in the bill. GO READ IT! What sense does it make to have a town hall meeting if all you can do is give a rosy scenario about what is needed but have no FACTS on how your goals will be accomplished or paid for. Even though the President is running around the country campaigning for health care reform, excuse me health insurance reform, America is not buying those campaign promises anymore.Credibility went down the drain when the stimulus was sold in the same fashion resulting in the President shocked and choking mad.
    I'm tired of these legislators treating the American people like a bunch of idiots. We are reading that bill and are certainly looking at the players involved making the crucial decisions and what their past records and agendas include.I expect all of our representatives to read that bill THEN give your town hall meetings BEFORE you go back to "work". Do your jobs, get busy!
    These so called "mobs" are quite tame compared to the behavior of the groups I see on You Tube, go have a look for yourself. How quickly we forget!

August 9, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  6. nea-nea

I was going back through Barack Obama speches during the campaign and i was amazed that as i sat and listen especially the informericial in oct. 08 he was talking about health care then and the people was cheering him on they had the excitment and the passion then, he was talking about working for them to try and fix health care. And now we come to this moment and the same people that supported him back then seem to have gotten amnesia or did we just thought it was going to be that easy, that the insurance companies and special interests groups even the republicans was going to sit back and let us get health care reformed without a fight, Thats why this got to be a good thing because nothing thats truly good comes easy.

August 9, 2009 at 12:26 am |