August 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/06/09

How are Americans Laura Ling and Euna Lee doing since being freed from a North Korean prison camp and returning home? Tonight, only on 360° you'll hear from Laura's sister, Lisa. Plus, the Charles Manson obsession. 40 years after the Mason murders, we'll look at why so many people are still hooked on the case.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mando, Laredo, TX

a grade of "C" doesn't really seem that bad when you consider that when ol' BUSH left in January , the White House was on "Scholastic Probabtion".

August 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

The President gets an A-, he has Americans to deal with & to top it off, the republicans too.. Bill Clinton gets an A+, for putting up with & sitting with the "Leader".

August 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Terry Pace

The Regan administration traded stinger missles for hostages. John Bolton should never be accussed of being a diplomat. No Republican ex president would have enough courage to go to N. Korea

August 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Dulcie - Denver

Unfortunately, I found the Report Card, massively depressing. I think things are much, much better than the bad grades participants gave out.

I won't participate in or watch the Report Card event again. It's just plain depressing and discouraging and I need to feel hopeful

August 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Sharon Hastings

I hope Obama just keeps on keep'n on. These are all very tough and scary issues that many have failed on or run from in the past. He will come under a huge amount of criticism for even attempting these needed changes. And the economy will get better but not fast enough for most folks which is understandable.

August 6, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. profguyinmass

Go President Clinton! It is fantastic that these women are home and without the tragic ending people were afraid of. I have to agree with Paul here, President Clinton made me prouder than ever to be an American and these women further echo that in their strength and grace. I wish all of them the best.

August 6, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am so exciting for congrats Sotomayor had already confirmed first hispanic judge for supreme court.

August 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Kathy

Good intentions, team work, trust, respect.,patience, faith brought Laura and Euna home. An "A plus" to all involved all over the world. If we could only approach our issues here at home with the same synergy. We have to listen to one another and be open to compromise and change will occur. Laura Ling and Eula Lee's return home is proof.

August 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. LorenaR

@Matthew Lashley, let's face it, Little Fat Man is after all, a bit star-struck. Isn't the Dear Leader a lover of american culture in some ways, movies,food, etc? but on the serious side we all wonder the same thing.

August 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. David, Indiana

@Isabel, and I agree with you, these moments, a reunion like this helps us to better appreciate the things in life like sitting together with family and loved ones. Such ordinary moments lift each of us up immeasurably.

August 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. odette

Americans should apprecaite Bill Clenton for the good job i can not imagin what was going on in those two ladies mind

August 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. roz

hi guys, I'm just hoping that Euna will soon have an opportunity to express her feelings and thoughts about her return home. It will be interesting to hear how well her reunion with her daughter is going. I know it's still all very new. I'm hoping that the families will heal and that the emotional bond between Euna and Hanna also be nurturted and expedient.

August 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. starr formerly known as vincent

I am really surprised at some of the cynical remarks about how the 2 journalists ended up over the border.

It could have been a set-up by their guide(s) to knowly lead them across the border and collect a bounty from N. Korea for doing so.

August 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. LorenaR

@rick shaw. well-put, well-said. nuff said!

August 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  15. ericacnn

hi, everyone. such incredible detail from lisa ling... i wouldn't want to leave my sister's side.

August 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Oh i hope Steven Tyler is ok 😦

August 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  17. profguyinmass

I do worry about PTSD for both of these women and their families and agree that asking such personal questions and speaking so quickly about it might not be in the womens best interest. A clue was when Lisa Ling said her sister developed positive non-speaking relationships with her gaurds. I wish them the best and trust they are getting the help they need to deal with all of this.

August 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

Glorious, yes, it was a glorious moment when the two women were reunited with their families. You are right to thank Lisa Ling for sharing these moments, Erica.

August 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Jim

I was so happy to see these ladies come home. I felt like they were part of my family. As far as Pres. Bill Clinton going to N.Korea, No money was paid to N. Korea and that to me is not paying ransom for their release. Don't make more out of this than it really is.

August 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. edward

This is why I am proud to an American!!!

August 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. larry

I am elated that the 2 girls are back home!!
    I hope they are sorry for costing us the amount of time and anguish their error in judgement has cost us in diplomatic dollars. Should they wish to write any books or articles that give them any monitary rewards then I hope they donate the proceeds to charity or to the cost of their rescue.

August 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Michelle

Thank God we live in the United States and we brought these brave journalists home.

August 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Loki

would like to ask if they had ChiCom guides or were the allowed to be out on their own–if they had guides, why were the allowed to enter NK?

August 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like to say thank you my favorite program AC360 and CNN interview Lisa Ling, That is really cool interview tonight! 🙂 Kudo to CNN!! Yay!

August 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Marsha

I am pleased that these women were not harmed. However what would make a Mother of a pre-school age child take a chance, chances like the one she took, was it purely a career move with out any thought of what could in a very real way go wrong and did all for a story and a By line?
    I'm sure next time she is all cought up in the excitment of getting "THE STORY" maybe she'll remember her daughter's small little face asking when mommy coming home.

August 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. James

I'm so very happy that the girls are back in America.What an ordeal.I thought that they were going to be gone for a long,longlong time.As for our former President Clinton.Thank you

August 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Spelunker

@Mike in Syracuse
    The Current TV crew was sent to China to visit the city of Yanji and interview North Korean refugees for a story on human trafficking.
    The excursion to the Tumen River was an extracurricular activity that was not necessary for the assignment.

August 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. James

They should know better! They enter a country illegally and got caught. Not just any country, North Korea! I hope other journalists learn a lesson from Ling and Lee. There not heroes, just very lucky journalists who broke the law.

August 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Linda Lowes

I couldn't srop from shedding a tear when those journalist were released from N.Korea,I feel it was time for the U.S to show what kind of country we are as a nation and how this humanitarian act was taken out graciously by both for the Journalists and how we as a nation must give a hand to former Pres.Bill Clinton and The Whitehouse for not folding when our people needed help.

August 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Caroline

So many very personal questions of people who have just been through a traumatic experience. I wish the press would have more respect for people. It was nice to have Lisa on to tell us that her sister was doing OK, but the details of their reunion could wait.

August 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Marlene, New Jersey

It's great to listen to Lisa Ling about her sister. There are a lot of people across the country that are wishing Laura and Euna well. We join in the joy of their families that they are home.

August 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. victoria

I have always adored President Clinton. To go to North Korea was courageous of him as well. It was nice to see a story fold out to be so inspiring and so positive. It was inspiring to see families love for one another. We need more inspiration and less hate mongering.

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Dawn

Richard- I believe any former president would have led a humanitarian mission.

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Lisa

I am thrilled that the two women are home. I would have done anything possible to get my loved ones home. I can not imagine how hard it must have been on the families. I do question the thinking of a mother of a small child putting herself in such a dangerous part of the world.

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Betty Nebraska

Still stirs the emotions to see Lisa Ling & Euna Lee coming off the plane regardless of how many times I see it. So happy they are home safe & sound with their family & friends.

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Lagena Williams

I think it was wonderful that former president clinton went on this humanitarian mission to bring these girls home. I think this says a lot about our country, and I don't understand some of the negative feedback that has been reported. The most important factor in my opinion is that the mission was successful.

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Danny Mosley

i am so happy that mrs. Lee &Ling are back home
    i was watching CNN when they walked down the
    steps of the plane im a 52 y/o male
    and i cried like a baby

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Finally!!!! I am so glad Taliban leader killed by U.S. strikes (lanuched) drop on him!

August 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Delores Cole – your remarks -Exactly what i thought.

August 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Jeremiah

I would like to know what Al Gore has to say about this. I am also eager to hear whether the State Dept. will take their passports.

August 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Isabel, Brazil

@ David

I agree... it must be such an incredible blessing and joy just for her and Euna Lee to just see and hear their families in person.

August 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Dawn

I agree with Taylor. I'm not usually a Bill Clinton fan- but what a wonderful act of kindness. My hat is off to him.

August 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Rebecca, Hartsville, SC

Although the White House has been very quiet yet supportive, I think this is one of their best moments....they played it just perfectly! Obama, the White House staff, and the State Department are to be commended for a brilliantly carried out mission. I hope nothing like that ever happens in my family, but if it does, I want this team on my side!

August 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. george

i'm glad for Laura Ling and Euna Lee, they are safe now, but at the same time they need to learn about life. if they going to do stuff like that "crossing borders" be prepare be smart.. they got what they were looking for. they deserve it.

August 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Isabel, Brazil

Only when we lose the simple things of life, we give the proper value... such as sitting in the room with the family

August 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. james travassos

i'm not a fan of bill clinton, but i'm very glad for his actions, and seeing those women free. the little girl, harna is so precious! i'm a 59 year old male, and i cried tears of joy!

August 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. profguyinmass

Thank you Lisa for letting us in for a few minutes.

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. paul clark

Take their passports. They have caused enough problems.. Stay home and take care of your child . Glad they are home but have no sympathy

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Kai

I am so glad that they are home. For those that think that sending Bill Clinton to obtain the release of the women in some way solidifies North Korea is utterly ridiculous. Put yourself or your kids in their shoes. You would want them home by any means necessary. Be happy that not an ounce of blood was spread and that it ended peacefully. This couldn't have ended any better.

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

Hi Erica, please tell Lisa how happy we are for the familys..

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |