August 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/06/09

How are Americans Laura Ling and Euna Lee doing since being freed from a North Korean prison camp and returning home? Tonight, only on 360° you'll hear from Laura's sister, Lisa. Plus, the Charles Manson obsession. 40 years after the Mason murders, we'll look at why so many people are still hooked on the case.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. JVR

I wonder if they have faith?
    Did faith bring them comfort when they didnt know what would happen?

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Matthew Lashley

The deal had been struck to release the two women before Bill Clinton's trip. I think he was a person that was high enough on the totem pole to be respectable and feed the North Korean leaders's ego. I would like to know what we gave them to get the women released? North Korea does not like us, they had convicted the women and sentenced them to 12 years, why would they suddenly agree to the release? they had to get something out of the deal, just wonder what?????

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. LorenaR

KUDOS to CNN, you deserve this first interview with Lisa Ling, and i hope you get the first interviews from the two women, too. NPR be darned! you need to be rewarded for your dogged persistence.

August 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Linda, Memphis

When Euna leaned over and embraced her little girl, there wasn't a dry eye in the offiice. Male or Female. This is just fantastic that these ladies were reunited with their families. Thank God.

August 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Mary

This is an amazing story. I just want to give them a hug!

August 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Erica. Lisa Ling speaks straight from the heart and I can feel her great love for her sister, Laura. Seeing Euna Lee and Laura Ling's homecoming fills my heart with joy and I give thanks to God.

August 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. rick shaw

Good for John Bolton, I imagine if his daughters were there he would have a different opinion.

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Rebecca

If any one person involved in this hadn't reacted in wisely, this rescue wouldn't have happened. So tenuous. So wonderful.

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Isabel, Brazil

These moments of joy give meaning to life.
    (I'm emotional today)

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Reva

I may not be politically 'savvy' but if Bill Clinton or a political equivalent were willing to come to the rescue for me or a loved one, I would be nothing but grateful. We all have family, don't we?

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Kristin, Houston

Evening everyone! Just wanted to say how happy I am that FINALLY these women are home with their family and friends and loved ones. THIS is news I could pay attention to!

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Richard

Bill Clinton is terrific! Can we imagine George Bush doing this? I don't think so!

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Connie

I'm very glad the journalists have returned to the U. S., however, I think this is a premediated series of events of Clinton and Gore. I think Clinton and Gore had to find some way to be in the limelight again. The whole thing smells to me.

August 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Taylor

The footage is so emotional and I feel such a sense of relief for these women. I'm amazed that people are using their personal feelings about Bill Clinton to say negative things. This is a happy ending. Let's keep it that way.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. marygrace

We all shared the joy of seeing the reunion. Pres Bill Clinton is incredible.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. David, Indiana

Evening Erica, Isabel, everyone. Listening to Lisa Ling talk about the return her of her sister and Euna Lee you get a feeling for how much Laura Ling missed her husband and family. I can't imagine how the isolation of being detained as she and Euna Lee were would affect you, but it must be such an incredible blessing and joy just for her and Euna Lee to just see and hear their families in person.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Rebecca

How can you even question this great accomplishment?? It was absolutely the right thing to go and get those two women out. Thank goodness for Bill Clinton and thank you. It is absurd to question this act at all – I am so happy it ended this way. It should give us all hope.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Maggi Harris

We in Sacramento are glad that Laura and Euna are home!! You have been in all of our prayers! Thank you to Al Gore and others and especially to President Bill Clinton who is still a Rockstar!

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Carole Werner

I can't give enough credit to Bill Clinton. Thank you, Mr. President. Best wishes to both of these ladies and their families.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Anita

I think it was just fantastic that Former President Bill Clinton was able to bring these two women home and put an end to this unfortunate event. I pray that they get past this and can go back to living their normal lives.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Martha

The hostages are our citizens and the family should be able to expect us to stand by them to make sure they came home. May they heal in the love of their families.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Earl New Jersey

I cried when I learn about 6 years of hard labor. I cried as they walked down the the steps of the plane.

I just wish we could be honest and admit that those two Journalist were not "hostages" but knowingly broke the law.

August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Paul

Bill Clinton made me proud to be an American! I am so happy for the 2 journalists! Welcome home!

August 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Elaine

Every American involved in this did the right thing. Yeah!

August 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. JVR

I think President Bill Clinton is wonderful. I am big Clinton fans.
    Bill Clinton is so caring! I hate when people criticize him and never give him credit for people such a caring person!

August 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. victoria

I am so happy that the ladies are home again. AND who cares what Bolton says! Why give him any credibility! He speaks nonsense!

August 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Dolores Cole

I wonder what John Bolton would have to say if his sister, daughter, mother, or wife was sitting in a prison half a world away? He's full of nonsense!

August 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Has anyone explained what story they were sent to cover by Al Gore?

August 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I'm so SO happy for Ling/Lee. I can't even imagine how both feel right now being finally home!

August 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Bill

I was a fan of Lisa Ling since Channel 1. Glad to see her sister's back.

August 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

Erica, terrific interview. It gave us insight into the trauma of isolation & imprisonment – outcome unknown until the minute they saw Pres. Clinton.

Also, that Lisa was up early waiting to her from her sister and they contacted her within minutes.

And again, Mr. Bolton should have the courtesy to wait to give his critisism (which i believe is wrong).

August 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Shilpee, Austin TX

Good Evening everyone!

My eyes filled w/tears as I saw Euna hugged Hanna.

So glad that they are back home and safe!

August 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. StephanieK./IL

I think its very kind of Lisa Ling that she is giving this interview so soon.I am very happy that is home safe by the grace of God. I feel as if a big relieve of stress has left me.I am truley happy because I come home from giving a presentation and I watching cnn and that Laura Ling is safely back in the U.S. That's a breakthough for people like me who follow stories around the world.

August 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I know that Laura Lina and Euna Lee really brave for us…. I am glad that Ling sisters reunion together..... I love this Euna and Hanna really tight each other.

August 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Geoffrey- Washington, DC

If a journalist from the DPRK intentionally or accidentally crossed from Canada or Mexico into the United States, what would happen to them? Would our government give them up after a few months or would they be sent to Guantanamo?

August 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Niwat, Chicago

@ Lisa, 10.06.. terrific question, i'm eager to know the answer too! From my perspective, This court-sentenced of illegal intruding has been publicly raved up by the truth that the two journalists were American citizens, are they supposedly immune from legal proceedings? If not, is it appropriate for them to be negotiated and bailed out? Especially by Former President Clinton, though he did it wholeheartedly.

August 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. LorenaR

Laura Ling raised both hands in triumph and glee when she got off the plane. Euna Lee simply bowed. Both were such heartwarming gestures, no words necessary

August 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Kathy Chicago

I'm so excited that the ladies are safe. A hug says it all.

August 6, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Good evening everyone! 🙂

August 6, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  40. Lisa

Has the state department required the girls to surrender their passports and restrict travel outside of the united states since they intentionally crossed the boarder and if so for how long?

August 6, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. Isabel, Brazil

I really love this picture of the two ... Euna and Hanna

August 6, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Maureen, Georgia

Hello Anderson, Erica, the rest of the AC360 team & bloggers, I'm ready for an interesting night.

August 6, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Dawn

I am very happy the 2 journalists came home safe and sound, however, I do agree with what Franklin Graham said a while back on Larry King- those 2 girls had no business going over there. It's a volatile territory.

August 6, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

Hi Erica and all bloggers. Sounds like a very interesting program. Good to hear from Lisa Ling. These women are traumatized and will need alot of support from their families and friends. What an emotional time for all of them.

August 6, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Isabel, Brazil

@ Erica

Your eyes filled up with tears?
    My eyes too when I see Hanna!

August 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Linda-Portland, OR

hello everyone!

August 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Finally! our former president Bill Clinton rocks on!

August 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  48. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica & Team 360.

Hello fellow bloggers.

Very happy to hear from Lisa Ling tonight.

August 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    I am so exciting for Erica is interview Ling Sisters, That will be great interview tonight!

August 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

Evening Erica!
    Evening everyone… AC360 team, David (Indiana) and bloggers!

August 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm |