August 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 08/06/09

How are Americans Laura Ling and Euna Lee doing since being freed from a North Korean prison camp and returning home? Tonight, only on 360° you'll hear from Laura's sister, Lisa. Plus, the Charles Manson obsession. 40 years after the Mason murders, we'll look at why so many people are still hooked on the case.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. gary tuchman

buenos noches and good night all!

August 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Ruby Coria LA., CA.

Good night..

August 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. starr formerly known as vincent

Wow, the night went fast.

Thank you Erica, Gary Tuchman & Team 360 for a diversified show and good night too.

Good night fellow bloggers-tomorrow is Friday!

August 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Isabel, Brazil

Good night Erica, David and friends!
    Great job, Erica... again! Thanks!!!

See you tomorrow! Good rest!

Bye

August 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Kathy Chicago

Those were great movies. We lose all the great talent way to young! Have a great night!

August 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Have a goog night everyone 🙂 And finally tomorrow its friday!! Yayyy

August 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Isabel, Brazil

Anderson? Anderson?
    This reminds us someone gone!

August 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

'The Breakfast Club' is another classic film of my adolescence

August 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, Ed Henry and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Good job everybody team of CNN!
    That's good idea for her lemonade stand exchange for her and family to trip to Disneyland!!!!!! Cool! I love to drink lemonade!

August 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Isabel, Brazil

Unforgettable scene when Ferris Buell invades a parade and sings "Twist and shout," the Beatles.

August 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

The corner the little girl selling lemonade was on had no curbs and gutters, was completely in the dirt, and completely exposed to two major hwys that intersected right where she was located. At the very least, it was dangerous for drivers just to stop there. If she had been run over, I wonder who would be blamed for that?

August 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. profguyinmass

Erica and Gary, you were both great tonite and did 360 proud. Thanks!

August 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Maureen, Georgia

Did anyone read the gym killer's diary on lin? very creepy.

August 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Sandra Robertson, GA

Thank you Michael Ware for your report on the Mexican drug lord, El Chapo. This man may be rich and powerful, but he is a criminal and on the run. Eventually he will be stopped by the authorities ... his days are numbered.

August 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. char

Well, I'm glad he's president, he's young with new insights, people need to stop and just wait. I like the fact that he's pushing for a green America and we have a working president. He certainly is not afraid of work. He has great ideas. We just need to get on the boat with him.

August 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am shocked that pain me to watch what he have plan to kill someone, It scary my mind thought to see on line.

August 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Isabel, Brazil

Sad loss!

One day down-hearted I just watched 'Ferris Buell's Day Off' and everything was ok!

August 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi Gary Tuchman, i'm glad that you blog with us (except you put your name in little letters so sometimes it's easy to miss-as for your own picture)

And you're right a wide swath of stories tonight, just the way i like it.

August 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Trish, West Virginia

Manson should have been hung years ago! What a waste of tax dollars that creep is!

August 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Isabel, Brazil

How may a man have supporters, fans?
    It really is difficult to understand, accept.

August 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Joe Terrogano

@Kris

I am glad that I voted for Barrack Obama because he is a thoughtful man. He is intelligent, energetic, and not afraid to tackle the worst problems since Roosevelt. He believes in diplomacy and negotiation. He is not an armchair saber-rattler. He has a sincere concern for all Americans, not just the wealthy and the corporations. And he can spell and has a good vocabulary. Love his family too.

August 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gary Tuchman,
    You're welcome!!!!!! You're doing great job for bullet news! Excellent!

August 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Apparently, paranoia and mis-information is a way of life in America's heartland, according to the report card. Interesting how the "outer areas" of the U.S. are more enlightened, and younger.

August 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Isabel, Brazil

e is completely insane! Awesome

August 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Graham UK

As Garry said on the piece it's only been 200 days I did'nt see the point in the 100 day report card or this one . I don't remember seeing report cards for Pres Bush or was there?.

August 6, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. hafiz mcglasson

Te poll with grades reflects American expectations for rapid resolution of difficult problems. Why is it that this "snapshot" polls – be they 100 days or 200 days of a year – fail to consider the years prior to 20 January that it took for America – and the world – to be the the critical mass that it found itself on that day. Obama has multiple full plates, not just one. Have patience, Americans, and think critically about who the opposition is and what they say.

August 6, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Will in California

What a surprise that the media has a failing grade in its report card. That's what happens when the media hypes the wrong presidential candidate and was afraid to ask him tough questions and for more descriptive answers before voting last November. As for Erica Hill, I give her an A+, especially for Erica's tough questioning and great reporting this week.

August 6, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Maureen, Georgia

I don't understand everything about the HCR but iI understand that the most important things like getting everyone coverage with the public option & anyone who likes their pvt ins. can keep it, also getting pre-existing conditions covered & for anyone who's lost their job to still have health care. I think ppl need to give Pres Obama a chance to & be patient, he can't fix everyhing in 200 days. It took us 8 long years to be in the ditch. People voed for change & now is scared of change due to lies & fear tactics by the right wng.

August 6, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Kathy Chicago

Yikes, I hope my son does not meet el chopo. I will be glad when he returns from Mexico.

August 6, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Norma Ward

Hi Erica:

Referring to the accident the lady from New York caused makes me wonder why there isn't a very high tax added to alcohol. 8 people died because of her being intoxicated. In light of the $10 tax recently placed on a carton of cigarettes by President Obama, I should think this accident would warrant placing a $50 tax on beer, wine and all other hard liquor.

Indianapolis

August 6, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. gary tuchman

wide variety of stories tonight!
    thanks for joinins us...

August 6, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. starr formerly known as vincent

@Dulcie-Denver

I too was somewhat disappointed with the grades. There were an awful lot of 'F's- wonder where they came from?

I agree with you, the International community (for the most part) seems very receptive to Pres. Obama. The mood of the country is shifting more to the center again and people are not being scared to death with security alerts.

People are, however, being scared to death with misinformation on the health care plan by telling them a Living Will gives medical professionals the right to kill them. A living will is to give each patient the choice of what treatment they want if they are unconcious, terminal, etc.

August 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. kris

those women that they just had on that couldnt decide who to vote for, I wish the would have asked them what Obama has done that they are pleased with, I think they only said they was happy with him because they didnt want to admit they were wrong for voting for him

August 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. char

I'm glad they made it home safety. I cried while watching the plane land and then while they were greeting their families.

August 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Jeremie

I'll wait until next year to "grade" President Obama's progress. Given the current time {financial crisis, foreign relations, etc.} he has a lot to handle and it would be unfair to judge him for only 200 days in office.

August 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yeah Erica,
    I never leave my sister too!! Lisa never leave for Laura, I agree!

August 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Larry

The most important thing is that these two women are home and in the arms of their loved ones. President Clinton deserves the thanks of all Americans and freedom-loving people throughout the world. All the rest of it, including the criticisms, can wait until later...much later.

August 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Mike

I'm so tired of hearing he media and Obama administration claim he inherited this economy. The man asked for the job and he voted as a senator for the bailout plan that he claims is part of the $1.5 trillion deficit he says he inherited.

August 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. profguyinmass

The Obama Presidency HAS been a clear success in my opinion. I feel we are far better off than we might have been has the previous administration still been at the helm. of course, we'll never know that but it is somewhat comforting to know that we have a leader and a team who is working very hard and fully committed toward making things better for all of us. My grades were all higer than the overall ones achieved overall.

August 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm encouraged by the report card. It seems America is finally looking at substance rather than star power.

August 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |